Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Marvel's Agents of SHIELD 6x05 Promo "The Other Thing"

Talking about using the Netflix characters and then going ahead and doing it are two very different things. We've recently heard about Fox's plans for crossing over the FF and X-Men franchises. Plans don't mean jack.

What is or isn't part of the cinematic MCU is right in the sweet spot of Feige's role as studio president. I have no doubt it is his call and his call alone. And the detachment of the movies from the shows already took place way back in 2015 when Marvel Studios left Ike Perlmutter and Marvel Entertainment. The last MCU film character to appear on a life action Marvel TV show, Jaimie Alexander's Sif, appeared on AOS in the season before the split.

Apart from Samuel L Jackson, every other MCU film character who has appeared in Agents of SHIELD has been an actor or actress who is generally TV level anyway and could therefore appear - eg Jaimie Alexander, Coby Smulders, Maximillano Hernandez etc. I did expect Emily VanCamp to appear as well as she's on that same level but she didn't for some reason.

Apart from Samuel L Jackson, every other MCU film character who has appeared in Agents of SHIELD has been an actor or actress who is generally TV level anyway and could therefore appear - eg Jaimie Alexander, Coby Smulders, Maximillano Hernandez etc. I did expect Emily VanCamp to appear as well as she's on that same level but she didn't for some reason.

Some reason was very likely due to the fact that her first MCU appearance came after Marvel Studios left Marvel Entertainment.

What was once "It's all connected!" has turned into "It's not completely contradictory!" Hopefully the fully connected Disney Plus shows will be the future of Marvel on TV.

Last edited:
Talking about using the Netflix characters and then going ahead and doing it are two very different things. We've recently heard about Fox's plans for crossing over the FF and X-Men franchises. Plans don't mean jack.

The only way that analogy works is if the point of contention was whether Fox owns both franchises, in which case those plans would prove that they do, much like Markus and McFeely's plans prove that they had Netflix characters at their disposal. It wouldn't even be an option if they were not part of the MCU.

What is or isn't part of the cinematic MCU is right in the sweet spot of Feige's role as studio president. I have no doubt it is his call and his call alone.

Then I would suggest that you have some serious cognitive dissonance to contend with, because if the decision is down to him then all of his behaviour would suggest that he is content for the TV shows to be part of the MCU. If he didn't want the TV shows to be part of the MCU, and had the power to oust them, then that particular misconception would have been nipped in the bud a long time ago.

Instead, he never refutes the Disney mantra of "it's all connected". Why? Because Disney call the shots, not him.

And the detachment of the movies from the shows already took place way back in 2015 when Marvel Studios left Ike Perlmutter and Marvel Entertainment. The last MCU film character to appear on a live action Marvel TV show, Jaimie Alexander's Sif, appeared on AOS in the season before the split.

False. Dominic Cooper, Powers Boothe and Hayley Atwell have all reprised their roles on TV since the split. The only reason the split happened at all was because Ike Perlmutter and Feige didn't see eye to eye with regard to the financial side of things. It had nothing to do with separating the TV shows, even if Feige would like to.

The only way that analogy works is if the point of contention was whether Fox owns both franchises, in which case those plans would prove that they do, much like Markus and McFeely's plans prove that they had Netflix characters at their disposal. It wouldn't even be an option if they were not part of the MCU.

I have no doubt they had the option to use the characters. But that doesn't mean they are a part of MCU Proper.

Then I would suggest that you have some serious cognitive dissonance to contend with, because if the decision is down to him then all of his behaviour would suggest that he is content for the TV shows to be part of the MCU. If he didn't want the TV shows to be part of the MCU, and had the power to oust them, then that particular misconception would have been nipped in the bud a long time ago.

I honestly don't think Feige cares whether or not folks watching the Netflix, YA shows or AOS consider them to be part of the MCU. But he's made the distinction between what is and isnt in MCU Proper. It is your choice to ignore it.

Instead, he never refutes the Disney mantra of "it's all connected". Why? Because Disney call the shots, not him.

Why should he refute a line created and delivered by Loeb, a colleague in another division of the company? The "it's all connected" line wasn't Feige's.

And who do you think at Disney is managing the MCU continuity? Horn? Iger? Perlmutter? It's silly to suggest Kevin Feige isn't running the show.

False. Dominic Cooper, Powers Boothe and Hayley Atwell have all reprised their roles on TV since the split. The only reason the split happened at all was because Ike Perlmutter and Feige didn't see eye to eye with regard to the financial side of things. It had nothing to do with separating the TV shows, even if Feige would like to.

I'll give you Mr. Cooper and Ms. Atwell. But it's already been proven Agent Carter is part of MCU continuity. Gideon Malick, however is a new character created for AOS. Powers Boothe's WSC character wasn't credited by that name in the Avengers.

Last edited:
I have no doubt they had the option to use the characters. But that doesn't mean they are a part of MCU Proper.

I honestly don't think Feige cares whether or not folks watching the Netflix, YA shows or AOS consider them to be part of the MCU. But he's made the distinction between what is and isnt in MCU Proper. It is your choice to ignore it.

I'm not ignoring anything. The comment was obviously designed to differentiate between the shows he has control over that will directly affect the movies, and the ones he has no control over and would no doubt rather not have to make allowances for - yet he does, over and over again, a fact that you're wilfully ignoring.

Why should he refute a line created and delivered by Loeb, a colleague in another division of the company? The "it's all connected" line wasn't Feige's.

And who do you think at Disney is managing the MCU continuity? Horn? Iger? Perlmutter? It's silly to suggest Kevin Feige isn't running the show.

It's a statement of fact. The MCU is owned and controlled by Disney and Disney say that it's all connected. The suggestion that a studio head has the power to overrule them is absurd. He is frequently asked about the relationship between the shows and if/when a TV character will get a cameo and not once has he ever suggested that their absence is because the shows are not canon, which would be the simplest and most obvious answer were that actually the truth. Why else would he keep this up, for all these years, if not because he has no choice in the matter?

TBH I think the idea of it all being in the same universe was one they initially embraced for its uniqueness and as a selling point, but it wasn't maintainable with so many cooks in the kitchen. Especially when some of those cooks aren't on the same page. The Netflix shows were MCU until they weren't. AoS was in the MCU until it wasn't. The thing that bothers me about it was they had a great way to separate the two completely, (as a result of the time loop), right there and yet kind of waffled through it with people on and off the screen saying contradictory things. It's pre-snap, it's a different timeline, it's actually 5 years later, etc. Just pick one** and stick with it so the audience can just enjoy the show for what it is.

(** See also TPTB being on the same page about Steve Rogers and his final trip in Endgame. Come on, guys. Get it together.)

The timeline issue can be easily solved given what happened in the finale. I hope that's what they had planned all along.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"