Marvels biggest slap in the face!!!

Hmarrs

Sidekick
Reaction score
With Marvel fans spanning the globe as well as decades I would like to know what they feel was the biggest slap in the face of their favorite characters brought to the screen on behalf of Movie Moguls.

For example:

Galalctus being a puff of smoke.

Dead Pool catastrophy

Electra"Nuff said"

Punisher "Nuff said"

Wolverine being 6'3

Venom Disaster

Ghost Rider"Nuff said"

Ghost Rider 2 "Nuff said"

Hulk 1

Hulk 2

Manderine disrespect from Iron man 3

Abomination Rendition from Hulk 2

Aborbing man Zax(Bruce banner's dad)from Hulk 1

Whiplash fiasco from Iron man 2

Etc.Etc.

Please give us your thought on the biggest slap and tell us why?

Last edited:
The Mandarin. Easily.

Not because I love the character or whatever, no, I hate what they did because basically all of Iron Man 3's excellent trailers, posters and tv spots sold us a completely different movie from the one we ended up getting.
About a whole year's worth of spin sold this movie as an epic battle between Hero and Nemesis in which Stark finally suffers defeat and had to fight his way back from destruction. Kingsley's Mandarin looked and sounded friggin' ferocious too... THIS was gonna be good!
...yeeeeeaaah. :whatever:

Now, studios overhype their films all the time. No surprise there. But what Marvel did went way beyond that... they outright lied about what the film was.

And even then -even then!- I could have forgiven that, all of it... if what the film was actually about wasn't so friggin' boring...

Eh, rant over. :hehe:

What happened to Cyclops in X-Men: The Last Stand. Some of those other things may be stupid, but someone somewhere involved in making the films thought that it was the proper approach and the best thing for the story and to show those characters in a live action medium. Even if they were wrong, the intentions were good. Cyclops was not like that. It wasn't done for story reasons at all. It was an executive mandate to ruin the character because Tom Rothman was pissed off that James Marsden went with Bryan Singer to star in Superman Returns. That's what made it worse. Fox knew it wasn't the best thing to do for the film and they did it anyways because of a personal vendetta.

The Mandarin. I felt that Sandman and Venom were bad on Spidey 3. There are more but those are the disappointments that come into my mind immideatly.

Deadpool, Dr. Doom, Venom, Juggernaut & Mandarin were all horrible; Deadpool being the worst since he's my favorite character out of anything. It still blows my mind how they could get a character so wrong, especially when said character should be pretty easy to adapt & have a mainstream audience love.

BTW, I don't think anyone cares about how Whiplash was handled in Iron Man 2. Whiplash is a D-list villain that few knew about before the movie, I think people were mad that he got in over a real villain & didn't do s***.

Daredevil, Elektra, Ghostrider 2, FF2, Spidey 3.

These movies were epic slaps to my face imo. I don't mind alterations to characters as long as they fit into the story the movie is trying to tell, and the story works and makes sense. So stuff like Mandarin, changes to Abomination etc don't bother me.

What bothers me is when the entire movie if just f**king terrible, with a bad plot, no great performances and just no passion behind it. Thats what i can't stand.

Wolverine being 6'3 totally ruined the entire X-Men franchise. What a slap. :o

This thread is going to be fun to read. :oldrazz:

Can we blame them for movies that technically they didn't make?

The Mandarin was the biggest slap to the face Marvel themselves have done. Probably the biggest slap to the face by any CBM since Green Lantern.

It's hard to mention only one because there have certainly been some ****ed ups. But Dr. Doom is definitely one of the worst, so is Deadpool.

I find the claims of 'face-slapping' to be arbitrary, as each of the storylines and characters in questions exist in multiple iterations across the texts (comics.)

The first Hulk movie.They pretty much soured the public on a character that should be (or at least WAS for a time) the most popular outside of Spider-Man.Even after a significantly better 2nd attempt,he's the only character not to get a sequel and is relegated to Avengers roster status.

I never had much problems with the FF films to be honest.The cast was pretty solid.(Even Alba was alright) But they really could've been epic with a stronger Doom/non cloud Galactus.I wish they at least got a 3rd before rebooting.

I take no issue with a lot of the things mentioned. I don't consider a bad movie (Ghost Rider) to be a slap in the face. I feel like they just tried and failed. I do consider the general treatment of Cyclops in X-Men: The Last Stand to be extremely disrespectful to both fans and source material, though.

What 'ruined' comic book movies for me was when Wolverine became the center and virtual leader of the X-Men at the expense of the other X-Men, especially my fave Cyclops. That, more than anything, was in those early days and as the franchise continued to marginalize the non-Wolverine X-Men, and how easily justified removing the team/diversity/unity/non-wolverine aspect was... I realized that comic book movies were never going to be what I was looking for, not really. That, at any moment, they could simply refuse to give me the things I loved about the comics, even if those things were central to the entire franchise, they could just say 'hawt Wolverine sells better.' And that would be it, forever.

I haven't been slapped in the face since. Disappointed, embarassed, sometimes sorely so, but never did it sting like that again.

What 'ruined' comic book movies for me was when Wolverine became the center and virtual leader of the X-Men at the expense of the other X-Men, especially my fave Cyclops. That, more than anything, was in those early days and as the franchise continued to marginalize the non-Wolverine X-Men, and how easily justified removing the team/diversity/unity/non-wolverine aspect was... I realized that comic book movies were never going to be what I was looking for, not really. That, at any moment, they could simply refuse to give me the things I loved about the comics, even if those things were central to the entire franchise, they could just say 'hawt Wolverine sells better.' And that would be it, forever.

I haven't been slapped in the face since. Disappointed, embarassed, sometimes sorely so, but never did it sting like that again.
I felt that was a big reason why I liked First Class so much.

Did Marvel even have that much of a say in that Fox stuff?

Did Marvel even have that much of a say in that Fox stuff?

Don't think so. In the 80's there was a studio that had the rights to Spider-Man and wanted to make it about a giant Spider but Marvel stopped it. They obviously didn't think about that when FOX made Origins.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"