• Rings of Power

Fantasy TV is now The Lord of the Rings!

• We're moving

Heroes are moving to the Movies sections!

Comics Marvel's Black Cat

UltimateWebhead

Black's the new Red&Blue
Reaction score
:hrt::hrt::hrt::hrt::hrt::hrt::hrt:

The Black Cat is back and starring in her first ever ongoing series! Felicia Hardy has a taste for the finer things in life and a certain set of skills that can get her into any mansion, vault or museum to… procure said finer things. But due to her actions in AMAZING SPIDER-MAN, Felicia’s not only on the run from the police but also by the New York Theives’ Guild and their boss ODESSA DRAKE! High octane heists, climactic chases and twist after twist that will keep you on the edge of your seat like a cat on a perch. IN THIS ISSUE- Find out a secret from Cat’s past in a bonus story that sets a foundation for the future! All this and an all new MARVEL MEOW short story by Nao Fuji!”

Black Cat had a big year with her appearance in Spider-Man's PlayStation 4 outing, and it is time the heroine really hopped back to the page. Today, Marvel Comics has announced an ongoing Black Cat series is coming this summer, and it will get into some high-strung heist drama.

The upcoming series will be penned by Jed Mackay while Travel Foreman oversees penciling.

Marvel Announces 'Black Cat' Ongoing Series

black-cat-2019-1159607.jpeg

Did that cover...here's hoping the team has an awesome story to tell!

This is her third series now. It'll wind up being a mini-series because it won't sell.

Felicia has had two mini series prior to this but this is her first ever ongoing and I for one am hyped. I'm going to remain optimistic.

Don't know why they didn't try an ongoing Black Cat series sooner!

Well, based on her status quo over the past decade or so, i.e. Slott throwing Felicia under the bus, there wasn't much in the way of having her own ongoing comic. Now, thankfully, her status has been rectified to a degree and this has a chance to be good.

MTU1NTYwMzA4MQ==

Issue #2

JED MACKAY (W) • TRAVEL FOREMAN (A) • Cover by J. SCOTT CAMPBELL
VIRGIN VARIANT COVER BY J. SCOTT CAMPBELL
VARIANT COVER BY TBA
CARNAGE-IZED VARIANT COVER BY MARK BROOKS
HIDDEN GEM VARIANT COVER BY TERRY DODSON

• Felicia Hardy prides herself on the fact that she can get into ANYWHERE…
• …but does that REALLY include Doctor Strange’s SANCTUM SANCTORUM?!
• Can the Black Cat get into the most protected house in the Marvel Universe? YES. But the question really is…can she handle what’s inside?

Last edited:
Does she still have that power to affect 'probability fields' or however they used to explain it?

Honestly, if they keep writing her the way Spencer and company have been handling her, a Black Cat series is a solid buy for me. They have done an admirable job repairing her character from the catastrophic damage done during the last team's tenure on the title.

Damn I wish that Spencer was writing this ....

Hopefully it’s good.Im glad that marvel seems to be pushing Felicia lately. If this lives up to how she’s been portrayed in ASM then I’ll be one happy camper. Black Cat hasn’t been handled this well in a long time.

One concern for me is the interior artwork. I saw a few panels for the preview and it didn’t really sit well with me.

I'm not worried about the writing. The version of Felicia in this series will be built around the character work Spencer has laid down.

I too wasn't thrilled about the art however on a series like this, I wouldn't be surprised if the artist is changed often.

First issue was pretty typical. It’s what you would expect from the beginning of a book about a thief. Nothing exciting but it does what it needs to do. The cameos from 80s Spidey characters was a nice touch.

We’ll see where it goes.

I'm not worried about the writing. The version of Felicia in this series will be built around the character work Spencer has laid down.

I too wasn't thrilled about the art however on a series like this, I wouldn't be surprised if the artist is changed often.

I HATE when they start a book like this with a so-so artist...but I also hate when they start with a top-tier artist only to then sub that artist out for a so-so artist. Of course, it's still misleading, as J. Scott Campbell is doing the covers, only to look inside and see that it is NOT J. Scott Campbell.

Issue 1. Nothing spectacular here but in a word, fun. A pretty cool heist story and a set up for things to come. I loved that they brought back Dr Korpse and Bruno. I don't think they've been used since ASM 194 and 195 when they helped to bust Walter Hardy out of jail and then helped capture Spider-Man.

The art was hit or miss. Nothing terrible but some panels were better than others with some weird looking facial expressions. The action looked great though.

I'm glad Felicia is back in character again especially after all the damage Slott did to her and it'll be interesting to see where this series is heading storywise. I know Spider-Man will make an appearance at some point--I've always loved their interaction. As well as some other Marvel characters.

I'll give this issue a 7.5/10.

I HATE when they start a book like this with a so-so artist...but I also hate when they start with a top-tier artist only to then sub that artist out for a so-so artist. Of course, it's still misleading, as J. Scott Campbell is doing the covers, only to look inside and see that it is NOT J. Scott Campbell.

I agree with the first part.

JSC doesn't do interiors anymore. Aside from a one shot he did last year he hasn't drawn a full issue in over a decade. Probably longer.

But if this series picks up steam, which I hope it does--I love Felicia, we'll hopefully get some high roller artists.

So far the series good. Nothing complex. Good simple fun a bit in the same vein as the old SheHulk Slott run. I think that style works better for Felicia in her own series. Seriously wouldn’t hurt to get better artist though. Sucks to be blown away by those covers only to open the book and view average work.

Issue #2...

A well written heist. It's fun and interesting. I only hope they delve a bit more into Felicia as a character. And I agree about the art. It's not Ramos level bad however it doesn't quite satisfy.

So far the series good. Nothing complex. Good simple fun a bit in the same vein as the old SheHulk Slott run. I think that style works better for Felicia in her own series. Seriously wouldn’t hurt to get better artist though. Sucks to be blown away by those covers only to open the book and view average work.

Sadly, Marvel seems to have a bad habit of spending lots of money on a cover artist so that they can hire an interior guy for peanuts. Of course, I'll happily take their peanuts if they want me to draw something...but that's beside the point.

It seems most of the really incredible artists like Adam Hughes, J. Scott Campbell, and may others only do covers or the rare sequential story. Makes me sad. Anyone remember the Mark Waid/ J. Scott Campbell Spider-Man comic we were supposed to get, but never got? What could have been...

More of the same in issue 3. Enjoyed it tremendously. Such a fun ride and the humor is so on point . The choice of going down a more “light hearted not taking yourself too seriously” style for this series works wonders. The art is growing on me a bit more but having Campbell kill it
On these covers hurts the series lol....his work is completely overshadowing the interiors.

More of the same in issue 3. Enjoyed it tremendously. Such a fun ride and the humor is so on point . The choice of going down a more “light hearted not taking yourself too seriously” style for this series works wonders. The art is growing on me a bit more but having Campbell kill it
On these covers hurts the series lol....his work is completely overshadowing the interiors.

Yep. My thoughts mirror yours.

The only real downside at this point imo is the art. It's serviceable but not really enjoyable and some panels are just blecch.

Read issue 4 & 5...

Anyone else reading this?

It's upsetting to me the way this comic is shaping up. It's still fun but at the same time it's underwhelming. That may not make sense, lol. I guess because I'm such a big fan of Felicia, I'd like to see something with more depth. And the art is not good. So that's not helping either *sigh*

Read issue 4 & 5...

Anyone else reading this?

It's upsetting to me the way this comic is shaping up. It's still fun but at the same time it's underwhelming. That may not make sense, lol. I guess because I'm such a big fan of Felicia, I'd like to see something with more depth. And the art is not good. So that's not helping either *sigh*

I’m actually loving the title. I’m a huge Felicia fan as well but I didn’t go into this series with high expectations. It’s pretty much exactly how I envisioned. Just a fun ride that doesn’t take itself seriously. Nothing special. I keep comparing it in a sense to the SheHulk/Slott run. I think that style fits well with Felicia.

The art is far from good though. Not bad but a character as dynamic as Felicia needs more life in the artwork. Hurts when the covers look so damn good as well....I really feel the artwork is the main thing holding this title back right now.

Personally another thing that works with this title for me is that I’m reading a lot of “heavier darker” stuff at the moment so this is a welcome change of pace for me...

I agree. The story is fine, but nothing noteworthy. The interior art is not great. Kinda typical for books like this.

I enjoyed the annual more than the regular issues, both in terms of story and art. Cleaner art, more interesting story.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cap2024
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"