Marvel's What If...? - General Discussion

Discussion in 'What If...?' started by Snow Queen, Aug 23, 2019.

1. Snow Queen 4AF (she/her)

D23 news:

Marvel Zombies will be included in the season.

One episode of Marvel's "What If...?" for each of the 23 MCU movies released up to this point

Iceman likes this.
  2. psylockolussus Merry Mutant

I was hoping it would be 3d animation.

Peggy Carter looks like Captain Britain.

TheVileOne likes this.
  3. David H. We’re not owed anything.

Footage descriptions from Collider:

Bim and Hello2016 like this.
  4. jolldan Registered

Oh man was hoping to see Brian Braddock & Falsworth maybe start to get hinted towards an appearance.

This is Beta Ray Bill in Raganarok all over again:funny:

5. Yowza Registered

Comic-Con had a Captain America zombie within the "What-If" logo so I'm not surprised that'll be one of the episodes. I am curious though if it will segue off one of the movies as supposedly each episode is a variation from each one?

As for animation, does anyone know what this series is budgeted at? I do think the faces could be a bit more detailed but overall it looks good enough. I like the color palette and look forward to seeing the animation and overall presentation of the show.

TheVileOne likes this.
  6. TheVileOne Registered

Zombie Cap looks like a variation of The Winter Soldier. It looked like a modern Winter Soldier fighting a Zombie Captain America.

7. Yowza Registered

Thanks. The faces sort of looking a like I hope isn't too much.

In any case, it'll be interesting to see what plot point from the movies is utilized to introduce the virus. It'll probably be something simple like: "What if the super soldier serum was instead a zombie virus?" I hope they have an explanation for it similar to the comics but we'll see I suppose.

If I were able to give Marvel Studio's ideas directly I'd suggest to maybe have the Loki series tie into this episode if in fact the Loki series has him hopping across multiple realities. I doubt it but I think it would be interesting to have him show up in a few episodes of What-If before appearing in his own series.

#7 Yowza, Aug 31, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2019
    TheVileOne likes this.
  8. BaelaTargaryen Registered

9. Silvermoth Krakoan native

Wow the animation looks incredible! I’ve been dying for the day of proper marvel animation

10. KRYPTON INC. Incorporated Kryptonian

That looks... Like it's all CG.

11. Inhuman117 Registered

12. Yowza Registered

Some of the earlier still images seemed ok but the footage leaks whether new clips or ones that have been continuously worked on look like a next gen cartoon show. Pretty good for not being computer graphics.

#12 Yowza, Nov 12, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
    Kuwolski likes this.
  13. Kuwolski g r u n t - m a n

If this is a sample of what we'll get, or more specifically the type of effort we'll get for the animation under Marvel Studios, then it's pretty exciting.

Hello2016 likes this.
  14. Sawyer High King

I suppose there is a certain Silver Age wackiness to it, but I'm not really seeing the way into T'Challa becoming Star Lord...

That animation, tho. :eek::up:

Hello2016 and Kuwolski like this.
  15. bigdaddy313 Registered

Finally a great looking awesome, beautiful colors and a very smooth animation.
    I am sooooo happy right now you guys have no idea.
    Why do I have a feeling this ties to Dr Strange and the Multiverse of Madness?

16. psylockolussus Merry Mutant

They shouldhave made it in 3d animation, if its not going to be in live action.

But I guess it looks better the recent Marvel Cartoons.

I'm skipping this one.

17. Kuwolski g r u n t - m a n

I appreciate that fact, straight 3D is too common now, which is one of the reasons Spider-Verse made a huge impression. This is clearly a modern twist on the Hollywood golden age animation that a lot of people will appreciate.

EDIT: Here is a perfect example.

#17 Kuwolski, Nov 12, 2019
    Hello2016 and bigdaddy313 like this.
  18. psylockolussus Merry Mutant

Straight 3d is not common for Marvel Animation. 2D is. We haven't had a Marvel animation series that was in 3d animation.

19. Kuwolski g r u n t - m a n

This is next level from what they've done before. On top of that, there will be plenty of new 3D Pixar shows in the pipeline on Disney +, so this will be a good way to distinguish this series from those in terms of style. Not 3D, not modern, conventional 2D.

20. psylockolussus Merry Mutant

I don't see anything that is next level. We have seen Top notch 2d animations back in the 90s (from Disney), this is coming out in 2021.

I think its just budget restrictions. Or else, the animation would look similar to the latest Wdas/Pixar films... or better yet, it wouldn't be an animation, but in live action, with the mcu actors not just doingvoice work.

21. Kuwolski g r u n t - m a n

I doubt it's budget issues considering Marvel Studios are making some of the most expensive shows in history for this service. This is clearly a stylistic choice, likely even a bit of an homage to Fleisher Studios.

#21 Kuwolski, Nov 12, 2019
  22. Sawyer High King

Yeah, I got a very Fleischer Superman vibe from those Captain Carter clips.

23. Yowza Registered

Props to timeless quality of the animation in the Fleischer Studio's rendition of Golden Age superman. If Marvel Studio's really seeks to mimic something like that utilizing modern technology we're in for something special indeed and a very fitting compliment to the live action films.

#23 Yowza, Nov 13, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2019
  24. Yowza Registered

If I had to nitpick something, the blue Captain America zombie I wish they'd change to a skin color with either red or black festering sores on it to feel a bit more zombie like. The cartoons in times past I wonder if would've also given him a blue hue to avoid looking like a corpse and more so a colorful monster but that's very minor (Taskmaster's look in live action though a bit more qualms with but that's another subject).

The show looks great overall.:yay:

Kuwolski likes this.
  25. psylockolussus Merry Mutant

Well would they create a 1 hour episode feat. Chadwick Boseman as Star Lord and feature the same production level as the first Gotg film, if budget isn't truly a factor? I think not as That would obviously require bigger money and its going to be more time consuming as they would need to build sets/costumes and render photorealistic vfx.

Also there's a reason why What If is getting more episodes than the live action D+ shows and it isn't just because What If has more stories to tell.