Mass Shootings/killings in America: the All Inclusive Thread

New twist in the Dayton shooting....one of the dead is the shooter's sister.

And on a personal note....the daughter of a friend of my wife was at the Dayton shooting. She got out OK but the whole family is traumatized by this.
Sorry to hear that. Hopefully they will recover in time. :(

So it was a gateway to hallucinogens.

Trump claims many things are being done and many people have been talked to while sending condolences.

Trump claims many things are being done and many people have been talked to while sending condolences.
Yes....many funerals are being planned and many grieving families are talking to reporters.

I really hate to play that card but let me as a non-white kid in school make a list of people I wanna shoot. Not only would they expel me, but I'd be in cuffs before lunch.

So, the Dayton shooting took all of 30 seconds. So, even with the police pretty much right there to stop it, you still get a ton of casualties.

"Good guy with a gun" is bull****.

So, the Dayton shooting took all of 30 seconds. So, even with the police pretty much right there to stop it, you still get a ton of casualties.

But “guns don’t kill people, people kill people”.

Because yea, I’m sure he could have killed nine people with a knife in thirty seconds.

Oh, and the El Paso shooting is likely to have more victims than what is reported.

Merica...

You'd have to be pretty ****ed to try and capture people when they're dying.

But “guns don’t kill people, people kill people”.

Because yea, I’m sure he could have killed nine people with a knife in thirty seconds.
Alex Minissian killed as many people with a rented U-Haul truck. The Ariana Grande concert attack was double that amount, and that was with a homemade bomb. If you want to kill people, you will find a way.

Thank God the cops were nearby in Dayton or that would have gotten a whole lot worse.

He was about to enter a building full of people with a gun that had a 100 bullet drum.....he would have killed and maimed many many more people.....so I think the police did a damn fine job.

He was about to enter a building full of people with a gun that had a 100 bullet drum.....he would have killed and maimed many many more people.....so I think the police did a damn fine job.

With still 9 dead in 30 seconds. Yes, the officer did their job well. But, we still live in a world were someone has the ability to kill that many people before a quick response.

Alex Minissian killed as many people with a rented U-Haul truck. The Ariana Grande concert attack was double that amount, and that was with a homemade bomb. If you want to kill people, you will find a way.

Thank God the cops were nearby in Dayton or that would have gotten a whole lot worse.

Maybe not making it so easy for troubled youth and domestic abusers to have guns is a good gun control measure to implement.

Just saying.

Maybe not making it so easy for troubled youth and domestic abusers to have guns is a good gun control measure to implement.

Just saying.
But neither of these guys fell in that category...on the surface, so how would you find them to keep the guns out of their hands? We will have to properly diagnose mental health and those who pose a threat. Or we have to go big brother and start monitoring what websites we all visit and all of our social media. The only way to know whether or not someone is trouble.

When bombings and mass killings via U-Haul trucks are a phenomenon that occurs multiple times within a given year in America you might have a salient point... But those things are, in the states (And look at that... Even in other Western countries...) rarer than gun violence. The Las Vegas sniper didn't rain U-Haul trucks down on his victim. The South Carolina church shooter didn't blow up the church during service.

Yeah, there is absolutely a point that people will kill regardless of method if that's what they want... But it's both disingenuous and willfully naive in my view to suggest that acccess, availability, and the amount of firearms in America has zero to do with it.

And let me say... I think we should also take a wider accounting beyond just our society swimming in guns to include cultural influences (Which... sorry maybe should include some soul searching in regards to our entertainment) as well as rethinking mental health outreach.

I stated earlier... Generally we are living with less violent crime across the board in the States. But we are seeing more of the mass shooting phenomenon. Everyone has their sacred cows: Guns, video games, music, film/TV etc. Something WE believe is essential to our identity we wave away as having absolutely no reasonable contribution to this issue... We all have to re-think that. It's not easy, but these events happen with a mix of contributing factors. Addressing guns' availability would be a start but also, despite mocking when some quarters look to shift the question to mental health (hypocritically so... Since these types are usually for slashing the social safety net of which public mental health outreach is a part...), yes the state of access to mental health treatment and identifying citizens that need it is another factor. Addressing cultural issues like loneliness. Indeed finding ways within our society that values freedom of expression to also admit that growing up and navigating through all of the messages and ideas in such a society can be difficult for young people being buffeted by various, often well funded forces... Yeah, we need to start examining that while balancing out our essential freedoms in some manner.

But that's all a lot less likely to happen when the response from some is going to be one that cedes the battle beforehand with attitudes that boil down to "What ya gonna do? People would kill with cars and trucks and homemade bombs too so..." especially given that where the issue is mass shootings we aren't seeing mass truck massacres despite the availability and cost of renting a large truck being within the same range if not lower than the purchase price of guns and ammo.

When the country can't go three months without a mass truck massacre or a bombing I might give the argument some credence but to my mind, when I hear that line of reasoning I just hearing very hacky political sophistry.

When the country can't go three months without a mass truck massacre or a bombing I might give the argument some credence but to my mind, when I hear that line of reasoning I just hearing very hacky political sophistry.

It's why I don't even engage these kinds of arguments anymore. Lots of people have mental health problems and lots of countries have them too, but for some reason only our white young men with limitless access to guns are doing it here. But yeah, it's the mentally ill. :whatever:

But that's all a lot less likely to happen when the response from some is going to be one that cedes the battle beforehand with attitudes that boil down to "What ya gonna do? People would kill with cars and trucks and homemade bombs too so..." especially given that where the issue is mass shootings we aren't seeing mass truck massacres despite the availability and cost of renting a large truck being within the same range if not lower than the purchase price of guns and ammo.

The large majority of your post I agree with. I just wanted to say my position is less about saying "What ya gonna do?" with a shrug of the shoulders and more about "Let's focus on the why instead of the means." Sweden has great gun laws but they have had something like 50 bombings in that country in 2019 alone. So it seems they traded one weapon of mass destruction for another. I'll concede its far easier for the guy who wants to kill a whole lot of people to get his hands on a weapon like an AR-15 and do what he wants. So agreed, let's enact gun control laws and make it hard for the average guy to get their hands on them, but should not be the end of the conversation and honestly I don't know if it should be the beginning either.

Everything else you said, I completely concur. People in this country are more and more lonely, living in a state of constant unrest and disillusionment. Young men and women are coming into adulthood not knowing who they are or what they want out of life. Social media and the internet is flooded with this outcry and no one is listening. These problems will manifest themselves eventually if they are not addressed, and in all likelihood, that manifestation will be one of violence.

If you read this dude's manifesto and you'll see he was determined to do something regardless of what method and means he had at his disposal.
WALMART SHOOTER MANIFESTO

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

• C. Lee
    Superherohype Administrator

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vortep88
Back