Matt Reeves To Direct The Upcoming Batman Solo - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think if a recast happens, they should ignore the age and just go a little younger. Maybe someone around 35 to 42, who can look mature but still be youthful and have a comfortable longevity in the role.

Clooney admits he was horrible in the role.

Kilmer is actually seen in somewhat of a positive light in Forever as he was the only one not sort of hamming it up there.

Clooney obviously didn't take the Batman role seriously not saying that's a fault of his though based on the direction of the film.

In retrospect, I think Kilmer could have been a really, really good "TV Batman", where he's the straight man in an absurd campy world. The problem is, pulling off good comedy is *hard*, and Schumacher and the writers weren't up to the task, there.

From SDCC Affleck on playing the Batman

"Let me be clear," says Affleck, "Batman is the greatest **** part in the world. I am thrilled to do it."

from the liveblog

He says that he would be an ape in the background for Matt Reeves,

"Let me be clear," says Affleck, "Batman is the greatest **** part in the world. I am thrilled to do it."

from the liveblog

Great news :up:

A lot of people gave this report credence because it came THR.

Remember, Variety once reported that there were no scenes of Tony Stark flying in the suit in IM1.

A lot of people gave this report credence because it came THR.

Remember, Variety once reported that there were no scenes of Tony Stark flying in the suit in IM1.

Did they? Didn't know that!

from the liveblog

Tragically, I'm just not buying that right now.

Affleck said similar comments in regards to writing and directing The Batman just weeks up to the announcement that he was stepping down from that position. He's got a track record of his words not matching his actions.

Plus there's still several more months before Justice League hits theaters. Warner Bros won't confirm in advance that its leading star of that film is leaving the role afterward.

Hell, even today's announcement of a Flashpoint film seems to align with THR's primary report yesterday that the studio was looking for a way to "gracefully write out" Batfleck from the DCEU. If you want to retcon some key details about the DCEU Batman (i.e. make him younger, remove any deaths by his hand), that's the way to do it right there.

If Ben's at Hall H for the DCEU this time next year, I'll believe him then. But right now, I'm too skeptical given all of the factors present at the moment.

Well, can't fault people for taking Affleck at his word. That's their choice. Personally, I'm going to remain guarded about it. I don't think these reports are just materializing out of nothing. I trust that the Hollywood Reporter was diligent.

Still, people are going to be pissed if he ends up leaving after this now. This could backfire in their face spectacularly if it turns out this was just a PR move to buy them some time, because now they've entered straight-up lying territory.

Last edited:
Hell, even today's announcement of a Flashpoint film...

They've confirmed a Flashpoint film?

Edit: Okay, managed to find out that that's the storyline they're going to use for the Flash movie.

2nd Edit: Or maybe not?

Judging from the released slate at the panel, it appears like Flashpoint will occur right after the Flash movie, which won't be coming for a few more years by the looks of it.

http://www.cinemablend.com/news/1684129/dc-is-making-a-flashpoint-movie-and-were-intrigued

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm pretty sure Affleck is out. Love to see him stay, but I don't take this as confirmation he's coming back, though the possibility is still open.

Hell, even today's announcement of a Flashpoint film seems to align with THR's primary report yesterday that the studio was looking for a way to "gracefully write out" Batfleck from the DCEU. If you want to retcon some key details about the DCEU Batman (i.e. make him younger, remove any deaths by his hand), that's the way to do it right there.

THR even said that WB wants to address "the change in some shape or form in one of the upcoming DC films".

http://ew.com/movies/2017/07/22/ben-affleck-batman-justice-league/

“My status remains what it always is,” the star explains. “I’ve done the two movies. I’ve always intended on doing a third if Warners wants to make it. Certainly, if the Batphone rings, I will answer.”

“I’d love to do it as long as they’ll have me,” he concludes. “Eventually it’ll be somebody else, and I’m sure they’ll get somebody great. But while I’m doing it, I’m going to do the best job I can, and really appreciate how lucky I am.”

Last edited:
afleck may end up doing the batman but flashpoint seems to me a way for them to reboot dceu anf use that to change batman.possibly superman too.

so affleck could do the batman and then bail with cameo in flashpoint.

so with flashpoint they still will have to recast bruce right? not gonna have thomas wayne as bat forever.

THR even said that WB wants to address "the change in some shape or form in one of the upcoming DC films".

http://ew.com/movies/2017/07/22/ben-affleck-batman-justice-league/

afleck may end up doing the batman but flashpoint seems to me a way for them to reboot dceu anf use that to change batman.possibly superman too.

so affleck could do the batman and then bail with cameo in flashpoint.

The EW article does make it sound a bit more open-ended.

It seems like it will depend on Matt Reeves's plans and whether Ben will fit that and whether they want Ben to commit to a trilogy, which he might not want to do.

so with flashpoint they still will have to recast bruce right? not gonna have thomas wayne as bat forever.

It depends on how much they use the actual Flashpoint storyline from the comics. They could just use the basic idea/structure- that Flash changes the timeline- and have different story elements.

here is thing.which flash solo being flashpoint i thin thr wasn't all bs.i can see affleck doing the batman and then cameo in flashpoint which addresses his depture as fallout when
flash reverses flashpoint.which also allows wb to do a in contunity soft reboot although it would like be less drastic than paramount did with star trek and fox with X-men

It's funny if that's how they would use that to change the Batman actor. Like Barry Allen could alter the timeline and be like, Oops, no one has to know. But Batman looks a bit different. :oldrazz:

Last edited:
Geoff Johns said:
We haven't gone out there and said what our slate is and that’s because we’ll do it when we’re ready and we have the films that we’re excited about. But for Batman, what I will say is that Batman is more than just Batman and, you know, it’s been way too long since we’ve seen an expansion of that universe, and Batgirl — we are doing Batgirlwith Joss Whedon — it’s going to be super exciting. He’s going to start that next year, and that’s just the start. We want to explore the Batman universe in a very big, new way… Matt Reeves is coming on to do Batman now, and we don’t want to do the same thing that has been done before. We want to build it out just like we built it out in the comics.

http://www.cbr.com/dceu-batman-family-reflect-comics/

This is why casting an older Batman 20 years into his career as Batman was a huge mistake. All because Snyder is obsessed with Frank Miller and The Dark Knight Returns and basically wanted to make that movie. And he probably likes it for the wrong reasons.

This is why casting an older Batman 20 years into his career as Batman was a huge mistake. All because Snyder is obsessed with Frank Miller and The Dark Knight Returns and basically wanted to make that movie. And he probably likes it for the wrong reasons.

Like it for the wrong reason? Who are you to decide what's the right reason?

I think calling it a "huge mistake" is a massive exaggeration. Ben Affleck is not old and wrinkly like Clint Eastwood. He could still pass for mid-30's Batman if you dye his hair. He still looks quite young for his age.

There was and is nothing wrong with an older, more seasoned Batman. An older more seasoned Batman is what allows us to have Nightwing and Batgirl, and maybe Tim Drake as Robin. An older, more seasoned Batman is what would allow us to have older, more seasoned versions of his villains already existing and not have to do origins for them. So its a perfectly valid choice to make.

They set this up as an older Batman who has been Batman for 20 years and is at the end of his rope. Ben Affleck was also made up to look older and even remarked about being older than his father ever was.

Once again, Snyder loves The Dark Knight Returns and that's the Batman he wanted to adapt.

BTAS and TNBA both had Nightwing and Batgirl without a Batman who was 45-46.

Last edited:
To be fair did we ever find out how old that batman was? I remember nightwing making remarks about him being slower in his old age.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"