Matt Reeves To Direct The Upcoming Batman Solo - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’d like Irons and Simmons to stay.
I wouldn’t be too bothered if they go though.

Do you guys want JK and Irons to stay? I say no, start from scratch. If they can find a way to keep Will Smith and Margot Robbie, but ditch the actors playing Joker, Batman, Croc, Gordon, and Alfred, they’ll be good

I don’t care if they stay or go.

I really liked Irons, I didn't think anyone could measure up to Caine, but I think he nailed.
Didn't get much of Simmons, but he's a good actor who seemed really well cast.
I'd like them both to stay on.

I really liked Irons, I didn't think anyone could measure up to Caine, but I think he nailed.
Same here.

I’m all for an Alfred in the spirit of Gotham, Earth One, or Beware the Batman. For that approach, I’d go with none other than Sean Bean as Alfred

Edit: I guess we already got an Alfred like that with Jeremy Irons. Sean Pertwee on Gotham does it better though IMO.

I'd like Colin Firth for Alfred and Bryan Cranston for Jim Gordon, if it's a reboot.

I’m all for an Alfred in the spirit of Gotham, Earth One, or Beware the Batman. For that approach, I’d go with none other than Sean Bean as Alfred

Edit: I guess we already got an Alfred like that with Jeremy Irons. Sean Pertwee on Gotham does it better though IMO.

I mean he's had seasons worth of material, just saying.

Sean Bean's an interesting choice. I gave up on Gotham some while ago but I agree Sean Pertwee makes a great Alfred.

Same.

Same. They just lacked materials to perform. Would be a huge waste of talent if they get ditched.

Common sense says recast team Bat but what a waste for JK Simmons, I'd prefer to keep him, play a younger version.

Wouldn't change a thing for SS franchise, except Leto, if Joaquin wants to appear in current sequels that'd be awesome, if not, Leto in supporting roles with better directors and aesthetics should be ok.

Margot, Will, Courtney, Viola etc are all well cast, Will's face along probably made 400M outside US, without China, that's crazy good.

If we're doing recast for Joker, I say Alan Tudyk.

I liked Irons, he would fit more with a younger Batman, but... recast everyone.

I love J.K. Simmons, but he left no impression on me as Gordon. He was similar to Pat Hingle in a way.

I'd quite like a Batman film where there isn't a supervillain, no Joker or Riddler or any pre-existing character.
Instead it's a murder mystery with all new characters, really make him earn the world’s greatest detective title.
The audience won't know who did it because there won't be a Hugo Strange or a Pamela Isley among the suspects.
An Agatha Christie story set in Gotham, involving high society and the mob, with some brutal action scenes.

Frankly, in an ideal world I'd dig just a really small, early-years Batman flick where he's just going up against Falcone & Maroni and/or some equivalent entrenched mafia setup.

Still a world where supernatural stuff exists, but maybe just light on what Bruce has actually first-hand experienced with that stuff so far (maybe a little during his travelling/training years, but leave it vague).

They'd never do just a straight-up crime thing for a movie though, they're gonna want their supervillain of some description.

I'm really not a fan of the supernatural playing into Batman's world, so I'm hoping for a new trilogy with freaks and gangsters going up against a Bats who is in his prime. Keep everything in Gotham, keep it rather simple, scale it down, keep it dark without having to force misery all the time, and cast great actors in their roles. If I get this, I'll be ecstatic.

I'd quite like a Batman film where there isn't a supervillain, no Joker or Riddler or any pre-existing character.
Instead it's a murder mystery with all new characters, really make him earn the world’s greatest detective title.
The audience won't know who did it because there won't be a Hugo Strange or a Pamela Isley among the suspects.
An Agatha Christie story set in Gotham, involving high society and the mob, with some brutal action scenes.

There was a story I read, I think it was called Batman: The Ultimate Evil by Andrew Vachss, about Bruce Wayne/Batman trying to battle sex trafficking. No known super-villains, just real to life tragedies, the ugliness of the sex trafficking business, and Batman, trying to understand it so he can curb it as far as he's able to. I thought it was absolutely brilliant and thought provoking. It's more of such stories that we need from Batman, since he's the only JL member that's closest to real life. He can be used to tackle real life issues.

There was a story I read, I think it was called Batman: The Ultimate Evil by Andrew Vachss, about Bruce Wayne/Batman trying to battle sex trafficking. No known super-villains, just real to life tragedies, the ugliness of the sex trafficking business, and Batman, trying to understand it so he can curb it as far as he's able to. I thought it was absolutely brilliant and thought provoking. It's more of such stories that we need from Batman, since he's the only JL member that's closest to real life. He can be used to tackle real life issues.

I was thinking of something similar the other day. I'd like a movie where Bats tackles real life villains for once too. That would help him break out of the "superheroes vs supervillains" formula that's been used so frequently that it's starting to get stale. It wouldn't feel so much like a comicbook movie however, but more like an indie crime drama and revenge story ala the recent Wind River. The character that Jeremy Renner plays in that movie is no more than a normal man, but seeing him getting justice for the tragedy stricken victims is so satisfying and somehow thought provoking at the same time. Although such a Batman movie might not attract enough audience, so...

I think stuff like that could definitely mixed into a Batman movie but I’m not sure it would work as the main focus.
Batman has the best rogues gallery around and each of them can be used in a variety of ways.

You definitely don't want to go as grounded as Nolan did with it, the freakier/supernatural stuff should definitely figure into Reeve's take.

But just one story along the way without some costumed looney would be nice at some point, and that'd make more sense with early-years Batman. But I'm still of the mind this'll probably broadly be the same universe as has already been set up, so Joker probably already exists in whatever Reeves is doing.

I want a super-villain in a Batman film because it makes the story less gritty and thus makes Batman less out of place.

I like the idea of a film where Batman is trying to solve the murder of a homeless person, a prostitute or a junkie. Someone no one cares about, that the police have closed the case on, but Bruce decides still deserves justice.
Have him chase leads through the Gotham city underworld, go up against Penguin or another major villain. They could even hire someone like Deathstoke because Batmans investigation is hurting business.
I think it would make a great contrast to the save the world/city stories most superhero films have. Have Bruce go through hell for the sake of a nobody, because he refuses to treat them as unimportant, because every life matters.

I'm just brainstorming here, but after three (brilliant) fate of Gotham films from Nolan, I'm interested in something different.

I like the idea of a film where Batman is trying to solve the murder of a homeless person, a prostitute or a junkie. Someone no one cares about, that the police have closed the case on, but Bruce decides still deserves justice.
Have him chase leads through the Gotham city underworld, go up against Penguin or another major villain.
I've honestly had the exact same thought. Great minds. :up:

You could also take some elements from Batman: The Ultimate Evil (ala Cats' suggestion) and have Penguin involved in human trafficking.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"