Days of Future Past Matthew Vaughn Is NOT Helming X-Men: First Class Sequel - Part 1

Powell's main theme is just so... I donno, cartoony?

Powell's main theme is just so... I donno, cartoony?

I can understand that. But for some reason, to me, X3's theme screams SUPERHERO; just has an adventerous feel to it.

Honestly, the X-Men Franchise has had the best scores of all the Marvel movie franchises (IMO :D). When you can hum a theme in your head, you know it's catchy.

I also enjoy Ghost Rider's theme from GR 2.

Last edited:
I'll take Kemen, Ottman, and Jackman's main themes any day.

EDIT: Yeah, ehhhh. But everything after 4:29 is amazing.

I can understand that. But for some reason, to me, X3's theme screams SUPERHERO; just has an adventerous feel to it.

Yeah thats why I liked it too. Thought he wrote great themes for X3.

Really hope whoever does score DOFP puts some exciting themes as well. Love when they have recurring character ones like for Phoenix in X3 and Mags in FC. Should have a solid variety of intense, terrifying, sad and heroic moments.

Last edited:
I thought Powell's theme was a good superhero theme, but not one that fit the X-Men very much. Seemed more Batman-ish.

It does have a march type feel like Elfmans I guess. Ive always dug that for Superhero flicks though.

I wouldnt mind hearing a more experimental theme. Maybe on the electronic side of things.

Last edited:
I like the tinge of dubstep in the Magneto theme. LOL

Yeah, I thought it was awesome and fits with Mags perfectly. I hope they go more that route tbh. Not to the obnoxious point, but just to add more depth. Those bass wubs with Mags are always awesome. Makes it intense.

I'm not a fan of the dubstep sounds or the guitars in the Magneto theme.

The guitar bothered me before I saw it play with the film. When I saw it I thought it went with Vaughns influence of Bond and the time period/style. The guitar probably wouldnt work too well once in modern times.

Since Bass wubs have been Magnetos cues since X1 I think it works well if thats incorporated a bit. Would like to hear that explored a bit more intense.

Last edited:
I'll take Kemen, Ottman, and Jackman's main themes any day.

EDIT: Yeah, ehhhh. But everything after 4:29 is amazing.

YES. I deleted most of the X3 score off my playlist (X2 and X-Men never even made it there to begin with) but this track was one of the keepers for EXACTLY that reason: Everything after 4:29.

I have to say that the main theme of XMFC is a bit forgettable ("X-Men") but what Jackman does with the rest of the score (minus the boring interlude pieces like "Rise Up to Rule" etc) is pretty amazing. He builds on all the themes throughout the movie and brings them together at right times: Charles rescuing Erik has notes that replay when he brings out the memory of his mother, Raven when she's introduced as a child has some light piano notes that transform into a beautiful well-rounded powerful piece when she's revealed in the kitchen 18 years later, Sub Lift is a combination of Magneto's theme and the X-Men theme, not to mention the Magneto notes sneaking into the background of a number of other tracks that you have to strain to catch.

On the BR of the movie there's a great segment with Jackman and how he and Vaughn developed the Magneto theme and how they transformed it to suit certain scenes, like the acoustic guitar version in the bar.

The guitar bothered me before I saw it play with the film. When I saw it I thought it went with Vaughns influence of Bond and the time period/style. The guitar probably wouldnt work too well once in modern times.
I totally disagree. The music feels much more current-day and youthful and not really 1960s. But it WORKS, it's one of the major reasons the movie felt fresh. When you stick to classical composers for superhero movies it kind of feels repetitive because none of them really stand out against the other. Honestly before FC the only superhero film melody I could remember was Danny Elfman's Spider-Man, and I'm not sure that it was a good thing.

All this to say, continuing First Class without Henry Jackman would be almost as bad as inviting Simon Kinberg to direct. Ottman behind the musical wheel would be enough for me to skip the cinemas for this sequel.

I love that too. That clever use of modern electronica touches as well as classic orchestration was a more subtle part of what made the film feel so fresh and vibrant.

YES. I deleted most of the X3 score off my playlist (X2 and X-Men never even made it there to begin with) but this track was one of the keepers for EXACTLY that reason: Everything after 4:29.

I have to say that the main theme of XMFC is a bit forgettable ("X-Men") but what Jackman does with the rest of the score (minus the boring interlude pieces like "Rise Up to Rule" etc) is pretty amazing. He builds on all the themes throughout the movie and brings them together at right times: Charles rescuing Erik has notes that replay when he brings out the memory of his mother, Raven when she's introduced as a child has some light piano notes that transform into a beautiful well-rounded powerful piece when she's revealed in the kitchen 18 years later, Sub Lift is a combination of Magneto's theme and the X-Men theme, not to mention the Magneto notes sneaking into the background of a number of other tracks that you have to strain to catch.

On the BR of the movie there's a great segment with Jackman and how he and Vaughn developed the Magneto theme and how they transformed it to suit certain scenes, like the acoustic guitar version in the bar.

I totally disagree. The music feels much more current-day and youthful and not really 1960s. But it WORKS, it's one of the major reasons the movie felt fresh. When you stick to classical composers for superhero movies it kind of feels repetitive because none of them really stand out against the other. Honestly before FC the only superhero film melody I could remember was Danny Elfman's Spider-Man, and I'm not sure that it was a good thing.

All this to say, continuing First Class without Henry Jackman would be almost as bad as inviting Simon Kinberg to direct. Ottman behind the musical wheel would be enough for me to skip the cinemas for this sequel.

My favourites are easily the Powell X3 score after 4.29mins - and the epic music in First Class during Magneto lifting the submarine which was far too short in duration for something that brings tears to my eyes every time I hear it. The fact that several people online have created extended versions of it shows that it was over too quickly!

I agree with using composers that are a bit more contemporary and add modern electronic touches, just as Zimmer does with the Dark Knight movies.

I think sticking with Henry Jackman for DoFP would be a great idea.

Here's an idea... Use Jackman for the First Class scenes, and Ottman for the future scene.

Alot of it does sound modern and like weve been discussing there is some modern electronic elements. Which is awesome. But theres alot of 60s spy sounding guitar in there. Theres elements of both. It felt in tune with the time period to me while sounding fresh.

Im not really that big on the rest of the soundtrack, besides Mags theme. But after watching the film so many times its grown on me a bit more. Still not sold on the electric guitar in other parts of the score. Unless they drop some heavier guitar riffs, going more electronic makes sense to me with the modern/Future scenes of the franchise. Playing Fassbenders Mags theme the way it is with Older Magneto might not fit as well. It should be used, but retooled a bit imo. Really dont know how well the guitar would work with Ian Mckellen on screen.

Last edited:
Honestly while I appreciate all the doors Singer's adaptations opened for other franchises, I think his interpretation failed to capture crucial and compelling aspects of the comics.

Singer has failed to fully express the hate and fear the public in general have for mutants. The Xmen are an allegory for the Civil Rights movement but at no point in the movies did I feel that mutants were afraid to walk the streets for fear of being murdered or lynched. Yes there have been a radical few in the government but nothing that I felt would merit secluding themselves from the populace. It is this racial element that forges the bonds between this band of misfits. Did they ever even utter the racial epitaph "mutie" in any of the films?

Psychic powers remain completely under utilized and boring. Surely there could be something these creative individuals can do to better feature these powers and help people understand just what makes the Professor so powerful. Some might point to the Phoenix scenes from X3, but does average Joe understand that her powers are psychic in nature?

Lastly, and i know this is sacreligeous, I am tired of Hugh Jackman's Wolverine. I'll be the first to admit that Hugh has exceeded my expectations as Wolverine, however, between his good looks and his poorly adapted characterization, I don't feel that they have fuly captured the character that I loved from the books. I would rather see the tiny ball of fury and bad attitude he was early in the books. Not the tall handsome boyscout they made him in the movies.

Not all of this is Singer's fault but it is his design that has been perpetuating these issues.

Then there is continuity, which by now is so screwed, it takes an army of fanboys to tell me how many minutes of which scene in which movie to disregard so that it all makes sense.

I expect Days of Future Past will be partly a vehicle with which they intend to address all the continuity crap but if that is the case, that is valuable story time they shouldn't have to waste in correcting errors. It would be cheating viewers when it is something they should have gotten right the first time around.

Just an opinion.

This is not an opinion, it's pretty much a fact. The part in bold sums everything up. I just hope that Singer runs with the themes used in First Class and goes "the Empire route" with this film.

A tidbit from Mark Millar I found on Ain't It Cool News regarding Vaughn's jump from X-Men:

"What we're doing is that 'Kick-Ass 2' is filming now, and next year we'll start production on 'Secret Service' which I did with Dave Gibbons, and Matthew and I have been talking about that for years. We thought Matthew was going to do X-Men first, but we found out there were actually a few imitators of 'Secret Service' in the works. People think you're lying when you say you're not trying to get your comics made into movies so quickly, but the two reasons it happens like that is first because it's the best ad for the comic you'll ever have. And for me, selling the book is the most important thing. The second reason is because people are always trying to rip you off. Somebody will start to work on a spec screenplay about your idea. There are three other projects I know of now about a James Bond kind of guy taking a street kid and turning him into a spy. Three screenplays were already going through Hollywood about this! So Matthew and I said, '**** this. We're not letting anyone steal our ideas.'"
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/59505

Vaughn is involved with co plotting the comic for Secret Service too, so I guess it makes sense. Its more on the lines of a James Bond story which seems to be what hes obsessed with. Still lame he would drop out so late in the game. Gotta commit.

They're afraid other people might rip-off their rip-off... Oh jeez...

I am already disliking Mark Millar's consulting contribution to FOX's Marvel movies so far. He was hired to be the creative consultant and then a few weeks later, Matthew Vaughn gave up on being the director of DOFP to do Mark Millar's movie! Ugh!

I am already disliking Mark Millar's consulting contribution to FOX's Marvel movies so far. He was hired to be the creative consultant and then a few weeks later, Matthew Vaughn gave up on being the director of DOFP to do Mark Millar's movie! Ugh!

Yep! Not exactly fighting in the X-Men corner is he? Unless he has not had much of a warm welcome from the existing producers/writers. I wonder how they reacted to the news he was coming on board.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"