MCU Fantastic Four - Part 1

Discussion in 'Marvel Films' started by Thread Manager, Jun 28, 2018.

1. Joe Rockhead

Joe Rockhead Registered

That's the picture I remember, but it's not William Bendix. I remember thinking the exact same thing the first time I read it back when, but I think the writing is off in the comment.

I really think that's supposed to be John Wayne. Bendix passed away in '64, but Wayne was still around in the 70's when that issue was published. You can certainly see Wayne in the face and the cowboy hat is a dead giveaway.

The way I take the comment now is that Wayne is his number two idol and Bendix is number one.

2. Dark Raven

Dark Raven The Gal from Themyscira

Yeah, now that I actually read the picture, the man says "right next to Willie Bendix, he [John Wayne] is my one and only idol". In other words, besides or apart from Bendix, he [Wayne] is the only other idol he has. I didn't read what it actually said earlier.

3. Willie Lumpkin

Willie Lumpkin Trophy Husband

Interesting. I never got that so I went back and read it and it does look like he’s talking about Willie Bendix’s star being next to Clint Eastwood’s... then he sees John Wayne (presumably but they never say his name).

I never knew who Willie Bendix was and assumed he was a western actor and the guy pictured.

4. Dark Raven

:huh: Where does Clint Eastwood come into this? Is he mentioned in the original comic?

Presumably they mentioned Bendix in the same frame as having Ben Grimm because of the connection.

5. Willie Lumpkin

They’re walking along Hollywood Blvd., and Ben says something like “There’s Clint Eastwood” (meaning his star) right before the panel I posted. So, presumably, he’s talking about a star when he mentions Willie Bendix in that panel - not the character pictured, who I’ve now come to believe is supposed to be John Wayne ( though he’s not mentioned by name, just shown ).

I tried to post photos of the whole sequence, but they were too large, and I can’t figure out how to resize them on my phone.

6. Silvermoth

Silvermoth Avenger

I wonder if there’s celebrity cameos you could pop in to show how the FF are like the celebrities of the marvel u (as opposed as hated and/or feared like the other teams). The ultimates used to have cool cameos like the wasp going on the Oprah Winfrey show

7. KRYPTON INC.

KRYPTON INC. Incorporated Kryptonian

Ben would be a regular at NYC sports teams' games. Dudes like Michio Kaku and Neil Degrasse Tyson would probably be regulars at the Baxter Building. Sue would be someone you see on The View. And Johnny would be conspicuous at all kind of movie premieres in New York City on the red carpet, probably showing off his date, some teen sensation actress or singer.

8. Crimz

Crimz Registered

A few rumors saying that Krasinksi and Blunt are being looked at for Reed and Sue. And that Liam Hemsworth is being looked at for Johnny. But looking at the source it says it's from Wegotthiscovered.... so it's most likely fake.

9. I Am The Knight

I Am The Knight Tonight's a good night.

"Privileged Sue Storm disrespects Joy Behar" would a great post credits scene :o

Frankeh likes this.
  10. Dark Raven

Sounds fake to me. Reed and Sue sound like typical fan casting, and Liam Hemsworth is far too old for Johnny at 29. Are they going to have an Andrew Garfield situation with him? And are they only going to have a Reed Richards who is only 10 years older than Johnny? Hemsworth has been playing adults. He cannot pass for a teenager.

11. wobbly

wobbly Occasional Scribbler

Liam looks too much like his brother. Would be a bit distracting to see him playing anyone who ain't a relative of Thor.

12. Detective Conan

Detective Conan Registered

Josh Trank must be doing backflips knowing he is no longer responsible for the most embarrassing box office bomb based on a Marvel property.

DP is going lose more money than Fan4stic.

Endeavor likes this.
  13. InCali

InCali I got a pUpgrade!

Perhaps. I didn't see Trank's effort because I avoid potentially traumatic experiences whenever possible, but did see DP. Box office numbers and lousy movies are 2 different things. DP wasn't the worst Fox/Marvel or X movie I've seen. It was just sorta, kinda, well....OK. Box office bombs don't bother me except that they make follow ups less likely. Bad movies (again, I didn't see Trank's FF) annoy me to no end.

Maybe DP didn't bother me that much because I don't have nearly as much invested in it emotionally as I do FF. Like Willie, I have a bunch of old FF comics and they were my favorite Marvel group since about forever.

KRYPTON INC. likes this.
  14. Xeno

Xeno That's America's ass!

That was before the Blob ate her, of course.

15. Tymminator

Tymminator The Main Man in Minnesota

Loeb needed to be kept away from that series and anything Ultimate. His Ultimatum was a nail in the coffin.

16. KRYPTON INC.

Let's not pretend that Ultimates under Millar was a bastion of restrained storytelling and subtlety.

17. Crimz

Crimz Registered

All the talk of Ben's voice leads me to want Marvel to focus more on the voice than the actor themselves. It opens up the age range of actors they can use as you don't have to worry about how they'll age through the franchise, and it stops the constant reverting of Ben back to human just to show the actors face.

Silvermoth likes this.
  18. Tymminator

Tymminator The Main Man in Minnesota

No, but it was still better and curb-stomped anything Loeb did with the title.

19. Frankeh

Frankeh Registered

I can already imagine Meghan McCain saying to Sue that her father was actually more gifted than the Fantastic Four. :hehe:

I Am The Knight and Silvermoth like this.
  20. Silvermoth

Silvermoth Avenger

I was thinking if they made an insomniac style fantastic four game what would be great dlc? They usually have three dlc and a season pass so I reckon.

1. Ben Grimm versus the Yancey street gang
    2. Non core member of the FF going on an adventure like she hulk and black panther
    3. What if volume 1, 11 where Stan Lee gains the power of the fantastic four

You know who I’ve always thought would be a fun Ben if age wasn’t a factor? John DiMaggio. I could see Ben with that Jake from adventure time level of fun

That would be hilarious

21. Willie Lumpkin

I really hope, after Fox used heavy Ultimate elements in all of their FF films, Marvel will go back to the classics.

22. Detective Conan

Detective Conan Registered

I think MCU Johnny should basically serve as a contrast to Peter Parker. if Peter's mantra is "with great power comes great responsibility'' then Johnny's should be "with Great Power must come great irresponsibility'' and his arc over the film is learning responsibility. Johnny Storm should be basically Peter if he basked in the fame and glory of his wrestling career and never accidentally let Ben get killed.

23. Willie Lumpkin

Yeah, I'm really hoping we'll get to see the two of them together in school. Johnny as the cool guy and Peter as the geek, and I'd kind of like to see that friendship develop before Johnny gets his powers.

24. KRYPTON INC.

I kinda dislike that kinda take on Johhny myself. It leabs to often on him being a dense fool. I don't mind if he's unabashedly the one of the group that basks in his powers and unironically (Unlike Ben) enjoys his fame and status as a super hero.

But too often that just translates into "Disrespectful idiot superficial *****enozzle". It is especially an issue the older the presentation of the character.

Which is why I think he's best as an honest to god kid at the start of it all. You gotta go Holland with the casting. It enhances things all around. Johnny as hotheaded, flippant and literally ignorant is so much more understandable if he's 16/17. He's a kid still. And kids can be forgiven for being shrill, unrepentant morons. They are still filling their emotional and intellectual toolbox. The moment Johnny is supposed to be over say, 22 and he is this terribly immature jerk so often it becomes off putting to me.

I rather it be he is learning who he is and who he is choosing to be. Then when he lashes out, is tin eared or loses his head with power and fame it is way more forgivable and understandable.

I mean even all of Evans' charm couldn't really overcome that presentation of Johnny in the Story films and when in the second they wanted to give depth and a responsibility arc to Torch it fell flat since he had NO depth to begin with. Just a dude bro idiot jock (Who... Was somehow also an astronaut? You know... Astronauts? Highly intelligent mathematicians or physicists often with diligent military backgrounds... Which was the complete opposite of Evans as Johnny... But I digress...)

Make Johhny a kid and cast young like they did for Spidey. With that his acting out and immaturity ring true rather than just a gimmick to work in jokes.

Crimz and terry78 like this.
  25. terry78

terry78 BUY MY BOOK!!!!

Basically Johnny is the type of kid that would start a ****ing Youtube channel and try to monetize himself doing flame stunts. That is the current day iteration of his persona.

Silvermoth likes this.