MCU Fantastic Four - Part 1

Discussion in 'Marvel Films' started by Thread Manager, Jun 28, 2018.

1. Marvel united

Marvel united Omega level Mutant

2. Marvel united

Marvel united Omega level Mutant

What Feige said corroborated Manbyte and the scoopers. They're brainstorming ideas and Peyton Reed almost certainly threw his hat into the ring hence the "if someone has the right pitch" Feige mentioned.

I really hope we get an announcement next month at San Diego.

3. Willie Lumpkin

Willie Lumpkin Trophy Husband

I don't see Feige saying they're going to make an FF film any time soon (as much as I'd like that to be the case). The brainstorming he has been discussing sounds like it's more deciding if they want to include some former Fox characters.

Which is still very true, but I don't think it's any confirmation that an FF film is already on the books.

Spider-Fan likes this.
  4. Detective Conan

Detective Conan Registered

It remains to be seen that this guy’s scoop is truly confirmed since according to him Marvel is going to announce the movie at this year’s Comic-Con which I really don’t see happening.

Feige gave no definitive statement regarding the Fox characters beyond acknowledging they’re discussing ideas but made it clear they’re in the early stages and nothing solid has been really thought of as of yet. That isn’t a guarantee that he’s going to announce a Fantastic Four film soon. It takes awhile for these things to materialize into actual firm plans, which leads to scripts being written, directors being met with, and casting to start, etc.

All we know is that FF is likely the first one out of the gate since the Mutants are going going take a long vocation from the movies after Kinberg steered their movies into an iceberg and sunk them.

5. Detective Conan

It’s funny that Sean Astin’s push to direct an FF film was rejected by Tom Rothman largely because he never directed a film before since years after he was ousted and moved over to run Sony Pictures Kinberg eventually got to direct a big comic book movie despite having never directed a movie before.

If Tom Rothman stayed with Fox, then Dark Phoenix potentially could’ve been avoided since Rothman would never let a first time director helm a major comic book property. :funny:

MbJ likes this.
  6. KRYPTON INC.

KRYPTON INC. Incorporated Kryptonian

The Mutants were going on hiatus for years regardless of how the last Fox X films did.

The audience needed a cooling off phase to distance the new performers from comparisons, good, ill or indifferent to the old ones. Marvel/Disney want to build anticipation to a fever pitch. And lastly the Mutants as a source material mythology to draw upon from the comics is insanely dense and varied. Figuring out what to use and how and on top of all that how that would fit into Marvel's wider plans was never going to be easy or as simple as breaking the script for a single film or character. I mean look at how multipronged the integration of Spidey turned out to be. Now multiply that by a factor of ten. That is what the Mutants present to Marvel Studios, both in potential but also in leg work trying to make something successful.

This was never something they could conceivably have ready to go to have a film out in 2022 or 2023 or 2024.

Detective Conan and MbJ like this.
  7. MbJ

MbJ Registered

I'm leaning towards the FF being a possibility, if only because some scoopers who I've known to be generally reputable seem to think it's happening.

8. Detective Conan

Fantastic Four is more than likely coming first before the X-Men but I’m not sure if an announcement of a feature film at Comic Con this year like the rumors are saying is going to happen. I’m definitely not holding my breath that’s for sure.

9. Spider-Fan

Spider-Fan SHHFFL 2014 Champion

I do think the FF being in the 4th or 5th year of the 5 year plan is definitely possible.

MbJ likes this.
  10. Willie Lumpkin

I have a feeling they're going to announce something unexpected.

I'm hoping for the FF, but I also think that's a real long-shot.

But I think whenever they show up at Hall H, they want something to make fans go "Wow!".

And I'm not sure anything in the expected set will get the kind of excited reaction they'd like.

11. MbJ

MbJ Registered

It's Marvel. They'll make the crowd go nuts regardless, even if it's an Avengers movie subtitle. But I do think FF is a strong possibility here. Probably too far out for casting, but even the logo would be big.

#3487 MbJ, Jun 20, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
  12. Crimz

Crimz Registered

I'm keeping my expectations low as it's unlikely anything will be announced. It's still really early days.
    What I'm hoping for is that the FF are apart of their animation plan. There have been rumors that there will be some big animation announcements this year.

MbJ likes this.
  13. MbJ

MbJ Registered

The Fantastic Four DLC in Ultimate Alliance 3 is an encouraging sign they're gonna begin putting the FF back in media again.

14. Dark Raven

Dark Raven The Gal from Themyscira

Kevin Feige: I have something to announce that most of you won't have been expecting. I'm handing over the reins of Marvel Studios to Simon Kinberg and Scott Buck.

Fans: Wow! He must've gone mad.

:o

15. The Overlord

The Overlord Registered

But does that always work? Look at Snoke from the recent Star Wars movies, that had a lot of mystery and build up around him in that first recent film, only for that build up and mystery to lead up to nothing in the next film.

Or look at Malekith, Thor the Dark World, he was so mysterious, they couldn't give him a reason why he wanted to destroy the universe, which just made him dull.

Frankly, I do not think Mole Man or Annihilus are compelling enough to be the main villain in several films, they should be the Big Bad of one film and then you move on to someone else

Mole Man does not need 2 or 3 films to tell his story, make him compelling in one film, really he only works as a villain in the first film, where the FF are inexperienced and the villain has to share more of the spotlight with the FF, because we have to spend a lot of time establishing the FF in the MCU, introducing the characters, whereas in a sequel, the FF has been established and you can have more time for a bigger like Doom. There is very little point to extend Mole Man's story beyond the first movie, you can make a supporting villain in a sequel, but really the first movie would be his best opportunity to shine, Mole Man seems like the type of villain the FF would outgrow eventually. You also need to establish what sort of villain he is, he is a sympathetic or just some Incel psychopath?

Annihilus is a pretty simple character, he is powerful and pure evil, rather then spending a lot of time setting him up or making him mysterious, I would make him an over the top villain you love to hate, have him blow up solar systems while laughing like a maniac, combine classic FF storylines with the Annhiliation cross over. You can set him a bit of setting up in other films, like the FF hearing about planets in the Negative Zone where all life was destroyed on them, but I think a rather simple character like Annihilus does not need a whole lot of set up.

The only villains I think work as mysterious are Doom and the Mad Thinker, because of the Fox FF films, Doom should not be used right and play puppet master at first, using villains like Mole Man as pawns (the first movie can end with the revelation that Doom manipulated Mole Man) and Mad Thinker works best with mysterious motives rather then direct ones.

16. MbJ

MbJ Registered

Devil's advocate, but Snoke's backstory leading nowhere was seemingly the result of Rian Johnson not caring about whatever JJ Abrams' original intentions and deciding that killing Snoke off would be shocking because the audience would expect him to have a bigger role. It's entirely possible he could've turned out to be an interesting character.

Malekith, from what I understand, also had a lot of stuff about his backstory and motivations that were cut from the film, and Christopher Eccleston was really unhappy about it. So both of those instances seemed more like the result of poor creative choices than shadowy masterminds being inherently bad characters. I think it's possible to do the archetype right. We've seen that sort of character done right with characters like the Emperor in Star Wars and Sauron in Lord of the Rings.

17. Willie Lumpkin

This is something I've been thinking about. A simple FF logo would be a really easy way to 'win' Hall H.

And even if that film is 4 years away, they could pop that logo up there (they've announced other films in the past that were more than 4 years in the future).

So while I still think it's unlikely, It's not crazy that they could go that route. (and I think most of us think an FF film in the next 4 years is very feasible, so it likely wouldn't even represent a big shift in plans - just getting some bang for already existing plans).

18. Willie Lumpkin

Bad writing is bad writing. Good writing is good writing.

I think a sci-fi exploration film with a unique, otherworldly setting and monsters/creatures would be very faithful to what made FF unique in the early 60's and would be unlike any Superhero films we've seen. And either Moleman or Annihilus could be used as part of that story.

If it's well written, it could be amazing. If it's poorly written (as in your examples) it could be a disappointment.

19. The Overlord

The Overlord Registered

Maybe so, but I do not think Mole Man (who really only works as a villain in an introduction film for the FF and not anywhere else) or Annhilius (who is a pretty simple pure evil villain) fit that role very well.

Doom should play that role, because at this point, him being a shadowy mastermind would be the best thing for him, rather than having him be the main villain in the first movie again, this character needs some build after those terrible Fox movies. Mad Thinker could fit that role too, considering he works best when his motives are mysterious rather than direct.

Good writing also involves good pacing and I think trying to stretch Mole Man or Annhilus' story beyond one film, when they are not the most compelling villains around, seems like bad pacing to me, its taking 2 films to tell a story you could tell in one (why would Mole Man need more than film?)

There is nothing wrong with Mole Man or Annhilus, but I think they are not interesting enough to be the main villain in more than one film, one film each is fine for these guys, more than that, I think they wear out their welcome unless Mole Man just supporting villain in a sequel. but I would not use Annhilus more than once.

Dr. Doom should play shadowy mastermind, not Mole Man or Annhilus. But hey, that's just my opinion.

#3495 The Overlord, Jun 20, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
  20. Dark Raven

Another way to light up Hall H is to actually have a flame logo of a 4 set alight. They could do it like fireworks with it tracing out a wire frame.

Of course, it might be a bit of a fire hazard, but I'm sure fans will be forgiving.

21. Silvermoth

Silvermoth Avenger

22. Spider-Fan

Spider-Fan SHHFFL 2014 Champion

I agree that Annihilus is not someone I want to see for multitple films. Mole Man either. I think they both are 1 movie villains. In the case of Annihilus, you could build him up as a threat we never see until a sequel via Blastaar and such, but why bother? That would only delay us seeing the FF fight Doom even longer potentially. I'd be okay with him being one and done in the 1st movie (same for Puppet Master or Mole Man). Doom is the character that should be built up and developed extensively.

Shoppy likes this.
  23. Detective Conan

Would it be sacrilege to sit Doom out for an entire trilogy?

24. Dark Raven

Yes. It's not like we've seen him some properly and that he's overused now like Magneto. He's Marvel's greatest villain.