MCU Fantastic Four - Part 1

Discussion in 'Marvel Films' started by Thread Manager, Jun 28, 2018.

1. Dark Raven

Dark Raven The Gal from Themyscira

Which makes sense. After all, Marvel wouldn't promote Batman. Although the Fox Marvel characters weren't DC characters, for the purposes of studios and movies, they were almost effectively the same and not really considered Marvel characters in recent years by Disney and Marvel. Now all of that has changed.

2. Iceman

Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

Hopefully they now make up for lost time on all non-film fronts like comics, games and merchandise.

3. Dark Raven

In Marvel's Avengers Alliance (which closed down a couple a years ago or so), we never got Silver Surfer or Galactus at all. We did get the Fantastic Four though. But no Namor either. It's a shame there were all these missed opportunities. Oh well, the game is defunct anyway now. It was fun while it lasted.

Iceman likes this.
  4. Crimz

Crimz Registered

I agree with making her personality more fun and that making her a scientist is a step too far. I personally think being a Journalist is too common with female superheroes and love interests. Lois Lane, Iris West, Supergirl on TV, and Mary Jane in Spider-Man PS4 are popular examples.

I've always felt like Sue should be more excited about adventuring instead of just tagging along because her family does. I think an archaeologist type of Indiana Jones/Lara Croft thing would be really cool. In comics there's an alternate future where Sue's becomes an archaeologist and was doing her own thing it was really cool. Highlight that she loves adventure and that's why she joined Reed plus wanting to learn more about alien cultures to juxtapose Reed's focus on hard sciences. It has her more active in her own destiny and a reason why she joins without stepping on Reed's toes.

#1879 Crimz, Jan 9, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
    Dark Raven likes this.
  5. Dark Raven

An adventurer type would work. I don't know what kinds of rocks she might be inspecting other than Ben Grimm though. :o

If they did stick to her original career as an actress though, they could make it that she's already a celebrity. And she might be taking method acting a little too far and trying to see what it's really like to go into space. Reed and Ben might be reluctant to have her tag along, but she might be the one who is insistent and taking more risks, and having more fun.

With her being already a celebrity, that adds to the fact that the FF are all celebrity superheroes. In the MCU, the Avengers are already that, and so are all the other heroes, because most of them have public identities. So the normal route of the FF having public identities and being celebrities doesn't really set them apart. But if you thought of it differently as "what if your favourite actor or actress became an actual superhero?" then that would make things different. That adds a whole other layer to being a celebrity that is no longer present in the MCU.

6. Iceman

Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

It’s a shame yeah, but time to look to the future. So many possibilities! :cool:

7. Crimz

Crimz Registered

I personally never cared about their celebrity status, I find it the least interesting and important aspect of the team. The comics don't even focus on that aspect of the team anymore because, as you said, most heroes are celebrities. It's no longer unique.

8. Marvel united

Marvel united Omega level Mutant

I still think Matthias Schoenaerts would be an excellent Doom
    8907d79b260a3e403df23eedc35331ce.jpg
    Screenshot_20190111-002946_YouTube.jpg
    Him and Eddie Redmayne are at the top of my list.

9. Darkprime

Darkprime Registered

Eddie for Doom? Hes more Reed imo. Lars mikkelsen is my choice for Doom.

10. Gamma Goliath

Gamma Goliath Engine of Destruction

Cumberbatch wouldve made a great Doom.

11. Dark Raven

Mark Waid/Mike Wieringo's run did focus on that though, and gave the precise reason why Reed turned them into celebrities. It was so that they wouldn't be vilified or feared as monsters or freaks. If people loved them and saw them for who they are as approachable and just like everyone else except for super powers, then they would gain the public's acceptance.

Once the X-Men are in the MCU, the celebrity status of heroes will become more important. Because it will raise the important question of why some heroes are loved and adored as celebrities while others are feared and persecuted.

Of course, you'd think that Professor X has really bad PR skills. How come Reed thought to turn them into celebs but Professor X couldn't think of that, even just to make the X-Men more acceptable to the general public?

BTW, this reply is a little late and we've gone off this topic now, but I see that it was still in draft form and that I was writing it a few days ago and never got round to posting it, so I thought I should at least finish it.

12. Willie Lumpkin

Willie Lumpkin Trophy Husband

Because of the way the MCU has developed, and because in the absence of the FF other characters have "borrowed" elements that used to make the FF unique, the FF has to go a different route.

But there's plenty of room for the FF to come in and be unique and interesting. They will be a team that is very unlike the Avengers. They're not just a loose collection of characters that come and go, they're an established, solid unchanging unit.

And while the Avengers are more of a "military" group with a primary mission of defense, the FF are Scientists who, because of their situation and abilities, end up protecting as well... but with a little different prime directive.

And we too often get tied up in the small details (such as how do we update Sue - easy, we make her a strong, confident, highly intuitive character who loves and takes care of her team-mates and is the most powerful member of the group because her force fields give her nearly unlimited physical potential) when the focus of the FF should be on the big things that made people fall in love with them to start with.

Epic visuals, creatures and villains that are like nothing we've seen on screen before. The battle between and dichotomy of Reed Richards and Dr. Doom - the two most brilliant minds in the universe. And Ben Grimm, in my opinion, one of the greatest comic characters ever created. The Human Torch has powers that will literally light up the screen and provide the potential for epic visuals and powers like we haven't seen before.

One thing that really struck me when I was watching Civil War was how many of the current, main Marvel characters don't have Super-Powers and rely primarily on technology. The FF have amazing powers and abilities, and if the film-makers can bring that to the screen in all it's glory, it will be something amazing to see.

13. Willie Lumpkin

14. Dark Raven

:huh: It says 7 best fights, but lists 6 and then gives an honorable mention to 1. Normally an honorable mention means it's in addition to the 7 mentioned, not counting as part of the 7.

At least it had Marvel Two-in-One #50 in there.

Iceman likes this.
  15. Willie Lumpkin

It wasn't really a great list. I think I'd put his fight with Surfer (issue 60ish or 70ish), but it's cool just to see how much they're pushing the FF these days.

16. Crimz

Crimz Registered

This speech and Ben not giving up needs to be translated in some way on film:

[​IMG]

Silvermoth and Marvel united like this.
  17. Dark Raven

They should have his fight with the merged Umbra and Jaagur from Fantastic Four #298:

[​IMG]

In it, Ben Grimm insults the merged villain by telling him that he's so ugly, and that while he himself (the Thing) knows he's ugly, at least he has the decency to wear a paper bag on his head. :hehe:

18. Silvermoth

Silvermoth Avenger

You know what would be the best idea ever? A lego fantastic four game tie in. Think of all the zany characters you can use

[​IMG]

Dark Raven likes this.
  19. Silvermoth

Silvermoth Avenger

Peyton Reed Explains His Fantastic Four Film Pitch

I guess we’ll never know what could have been. Unless marvel snaps him up?

20. Marvel united

Marvel united Omega level Mutant

How about Dianna Agron as Sue
    PicsArt_01-15-03.26.05.jpg
    She's a great actress and she's making her directorial debut this year.

She has the same energy as Lily James

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    She could be a warm, playful Sue. But she can also be badass Sue when the going gets tough:

21. Dark Raven

22. Willie Lumpkin

Peyton Reed could have the advantage over other directors if Marvel wants to move fast on an FF film. I suspect Reed already has several ideas and maybe a rough script outline or two and he's ready to go, so he could hit the ground running.

I'm not sold on Reed, but if Marvel goes with him, I think he's able to do a good job.

23. R_Hythlodeus

R_Hythlodeus Nerd Supreme

Well, at least Reed doesn't sound as stupid as suggesting 'body horror' as a legitimate way to portray the FF, soooo he is a better choice than the last guy already

24. Willie Lumpkin

I think Reed is a fan and "gets it". My biggest concern is I'm not sure if he has the right skills to create the visual spectacle I'm hoping for. But he did have some cool visuals in the Ant-Man films, and with him and Marvel understanding this needs to be a bigger, different film than Ant-Man, I think he can do it.

Marvel has shown me over the past 10 years that they know what directors to match up with what projects. If they choose Reed, I'll be 100% behind it. If they choose someone else, I'll be 100% behind that other director... at least up until we start hearing things that don't sound right. :cwink:

25. Venom'sDad

Venom'sDad Enter The Sym

I think Reed will be fine. Yes, he appear to be a big fan of the 4; so, I suspect he will get their personalities & mythos down with no problem...as well as, the visual.

My concern is...does he get the villains(minus Doom...sure he gets him). I see fans of comics, be it director or writer, misinterpret the villain's motivation base on personality or believe they can just combine personality/motive of two completely different characters.