MCU Fight: Corvus Glaive Vs. War Machine

BigThor

God of Thunder
Reaction score
We will be doing VS. battles for the MCU every week and will be using the Winners and Losers to create an accurate power tier list created by some of it's biggest fans (you). So don't forget to VOTE and after voting for a Winner please include a comment on which power tier, both the Winner and Loser should reside within. Also, see below for more details on the characters abilities as well as for a list of available power tiers to choose from.

Don't forget to put which Tier group you think Corvus Glaive and War Machine belong to in your posts. Also, don't forget I've now added the option of being able to change your vote if you change your mind. :up:

So, without further delay here is this week's match up

CORVUS GLAIVE

tumblr_p65ievL02l1qjx6n6o2_500.gif

Vs.

WAR MACHINE

6579757-6545536-giphy%2B%283%29.gif

CORVUS GLAIVE

- Superhuman Strength: Corvus Glaive had considerable levels of superhuman strength, possibly through bionic implants like his adoptive siblings. He was able to easily hold his own well against and even pin down weakened Vision and roughly overpowered Captain America in hand-to-hand combat.

-
Superhuman Durability: Corvus Glaive is much more resistant to physical damage than the body of a human being, allowing him to withstand the might of superhuman beings with ease, including the likes of Vision, who was not at his full strength, and Captain America, who was protecting Vision. He also withstood a stab from Black Widow.

- Glaive: Corvus Glaive's main weapon is his blade. It is strong enough to stab through Vision's Vibranium body, as well as to block and scatter his Mind Stone-powered energy blast and the sonic waves from Shuri’s Vibranium Gauntlets. It can also prevent Vision from phasing after Corvus uses the Glaive to stab him. It was also used by Captain America to break Proxima Midnight's spear.

- Superhuman Speed
: Corvus Glaive possessed much greater speed and overall mobility compared to humans. He was able to hunt down and keep pace with Scarlet Witch and Vision and fast enough to prevent Captain America from getting up during their fight and pin him down. He is also swift enough to deflect every sonic wave that is fired from Shuri’s gauntlets.

- Regenerative Healing Factor
: After being wounded by Black Widow with the spear of Proxima Midnight, Corvus Glaive was able to fully recover from it in a matter of hours.

- Master Combatant
: Corvus Glaive was highly accomplished in both armed and hand-to-hand combat. Hence, he managed to compete with the weakened Vision in their first fight, even gaining the upper hand after he reflected Vision's blast back at him, and later overpowered and stabbed him in their final fight. Glaive could also effortlessly slaughter two Wakandan guards and overpower the highly skilled Dora Milaje member Ayo. In his fight with Captain America, Glaive was able to stand his ground against the world-class fighter and even managed to gain the upper hand despite Rogers disarming him, with only Vision interrupting the fight by killing Glaive with the latter's own weapon.

- Master Infiltrator
: Corvus Glaive was able to stealthily infiltrate and enter the Wakandan laboratory where Vision was being kept.

WAR MACHINE

- Flight
: The armor, like the Iron Man Armor, can reach speeds as Mach 3 in moments. It is equipped with non-weapons grade repulsor based flight stabilizers that theoretically reach speeds of Mach 8 similar to the Mark IV's flight stabilizers. It was adequate to keep up with the Mark VI during the battle over the Stark Expo and catch Iron Man off-guard and tackled him into the Oracle building.

-
Superhuman Strength: When utilizing the armor, it increases Rhodes' natural physical abilities to superhuman levels, chief among them is his strength. Rhodes, inside his armor, is capable of overpowering normal humans and tear unmanned battle drones with ease. It also allows him to go toe-to-toe with Stark in his armor. By his own claim, Rhodes can lift a tank with his armor.

-
Superhuman Reflexes: The armor, like Stark's, has motors for movement. It is extremely fast and responsive in flight, and during combat. The armor can react faster than naturally possible.

-
Superhuman Durability: The armor is made of a solar charged carbon-composite-based external plating armor and has a chestplate protecting the arc reactor. It is shown that it can withstand tremendous amounts of punishment. It had withstood a full-on fight with the Mark IV in Stark's house. It had withstood the full-on fight with the Hammer Drones and withstood the full-on ammo unloaded on both him and Stark while in their respective suits. It was able to withstand damage done on it by Vanko in his own suit. It protects the wearer from the effects of extreme g-forces.

- Repulsors: A particle beam weapon in the palm gauntlets that can repel physical and energy-based attacks. When combined with an attack from another repulsor, it can create an energy shockwave that decimate a small area like when he and Stark both fired their repulsors at each other and the resulting event destroyed much of Stark's house.

-
Unibeam: A more powerful version of the palm repulsors mounted on the chest. In addition to the physical capabilities and various weaponry it already possesses, it also utilizes laser guided munitions.

-
Mini-Gun: A 7.62-mm minigun is attached to the back of the suit on a swivel mount and typically fires over the right shoulder. It is governed by an automated targeting system and can track targets independently of the suit's wearer, including those targets to the rear. The ammunition feed for this weapon is a belt feed from the rear torso.

- Gauntlets
: The armor's armbraces each mount an underslung sub-machine gun.

-
Rocket Launcher: A box rocket launcher mounted over the left shoulder holds a Hammer-tech bunker busting rocket that Rhodes referred to as the "Ex-Wife" which was useless against the improved Whiplash.

- Stun Staff
: Used to incapacitate targets by releasing powerful, non-lethal electricity.

*****Below is the list of power tiers to choose from. Please select a power tier for each character doing battle (the characters below in Red are not in any particular order). Be aware both characters can share the same power tier*****

The character's current statuses below are as follows

*****NOTE: Characters that are OFFICIAL will always be Placed above characters that are UNOFFICIAL.*****

Cosmic Tier (cosmic/interdimension level power/presence on a planetary scale, at the minimum)
Thanos (w/ Filled Infinity Gauntlet)

Dormmamu
Eson The Searcher with Infinity Stone
Surtur Prime
Ego The Living Planet
Odin
Doctor Strange (w/ Time Gem)

Transcendent Tier (City to planetary level power & Cosmic/interdimensional level influence on a local scale?)
Thor

Hela
Thanos (Base)
Ronan with the Power Stone
Kurse
Surtur's Fire Dragon
Fenris
Ultron Prime (Vibranium)

Powerhouse Tier (Beyond top tier, power/interdimensional power on a block to city Level)
Vision

Doctor Strange
Malekith (W/ reality gem)
Doctor Strange
Hulk
Ghost Rider
Ebony Maw
Scarlet Witch
Destroyer
Hulkbuster Ironman
Pre-Eternal Flame Surtur
Abomination
Cull Obsidian
Abilisk
Iron Man
Jotunheim Beast
Kronan
Ancient One
Giant Man
Kaecilius

Top Tier (Street to block level?)
Ronan

Valkyrie
Hogun
Aldrich Killian
Loki
Drax
Heimdall
War Machine
Iron Monger
Whiplash
Quake
Malekith
Sif
Fandral
Volstagg
Korath The Pursuer
Groot
Killgrave
Yondu
Lash
Hive
Frigga
Pepper Potts with Extremis
Mantis
Skurge
Korg
Baron Mordo
Master Wong
Corvus Glaive

Superhuman Tier (Street Level)
Black Panther

Captain America
Spider-Man
Gamora
Star-Lord
Vulture
Falcon
Winter Soldier
Red Skull
Crossbones
Quicksilver
Iron Fist
Luke Cage
Jessica Jones
Eric Savin (Extremis Soldier)
Ellen Brandt (Extremis Soldier)
Emil Blonsky (Super Soldier)
Madame Gao
Mr. Hyde
Slingshot
Aida
Raina
Deathlok
The Patriot
Carl Creed the Absorbing Man
Lorelei
Nebula
Miek
Ant Man
Yellow Jacket
Proxima Midnight
Erik Killmonger
Ulysses Klaue

Street Tier (non super human, agent level)
Daredevil

Elektra
Black Widow
Okoye
Rocket Racoon
Hawkeye
Nick Fury
Punisher
Coleen Wing
Batroc the Leaper
Shocker
Kingpin
Nobu
Diamondback
Bakuto
Peggy Carter
Sharon Carter Agent 13
Dum Dum Dugan
Mocking Bird
Maria Hill
Misty Knight
The Punisher
Phil Coulson
Zemo
Jig Saw
M'Baku
Shur

Corvus Glaive (Powerhouse Tier) gets the vote from me; he could go toe to toe with Vision, I don't believe War Machine (Top Tier) could do. Rhodey is a Military Man too, whereas Corvus Glaive is devious and cunning. Presumably he also has most of the standard superhuman abilities (strength, stamina, agility etc), Rhodey doesn't, so if the suit gets bust open, he's a dead man.

It largely depends on the nature of the fight. In a direct confrontation, War Machine would win, having considerable firepower and also flight and ranged attacks. However, this is rather unfair to Corvus, whose whole primary schtick is "stealth backstabs". In any circumstance where Corvus gets the chance to sneak? Poor Rhodey is getting a spear through his chest.

Corvus appears to have been significantly powered down from his 616 counterpart. The MCU version is approximately "super soldier" level in terms of strength and agility though he does carry a powerful weapon with Vision-wrecking capabilities. Still, I think Rhodey takes this one fairly easily.

Got to go with Glaive here. The aerial advantage is a big one for Rhodey but he's in too much of a one hit and he's done situation here I think personally.

The fact that his weapon can not just seemingly destroy anything it can act as a defence makes me think that whatever Rhodey throws at him there is a good chance he will be able to redirect it right at him long enough to land a killing blow.

Me looking for the poll lol

It largely depends on the nature of the fight. In a direct confrontation, War Machine would win, having considerable firepower and also flight and ranged attacks. However, this is rather unfair to Corvus, whose whole primary schtick is "stealth backstabs". In any circumstance where Corvus gets the chance to sneak? Poor Rhodey is getting a spear through his chest.

Corvus appears to have been significantly powered down from his 616 counterpart. The MCU version is approximately "super soldier" level in terms of strength and agility though he does carry a powerful weapon with Vision-wrecking capabilities. Still, I think Rhodey takes this one fairly easily.

Got to go with Glaive here. The aerial advantage is a big one for Rhodey but he's in too much of a one hit and he's done situation here I think personally.

The fact that his weapon can not just seemingly destroy anything it can act as a defence makes me think that whatever Rhodey throws at him there is a good chance he will be able to redirect it right at him long enough to land a killing blow.

Me looking for the poll lol

The poll has been added again, I had to make some changes.

Corvus Glaive (Powerhouse Tier) gets the vote from me; he could go toe to toe with Vision, I don't believe War Machine (Top Tier) could do. Rhodey is a Military Man too, whereas Corvus Glaive is devious and cunning. Presumably he also has most of the standard superhuman abilities (strength, stamina, agility etc), Rhodey doesn't, so if the suit gets bust open, he's a dead man.

I took the poll down and put up a new one so vote again whenever you get the chance please.

War Machine's got this.

As others have said, Corvus is roughly Captain America level physically and that means he's far weaker than the War Machine suit (which can lift a tank).

Sure, Corvus has an absurdly sharp blade but this is a fair fight so he won't be backstabbing Rhodey like he did Vision.

On the other hand, War Machine's beams/missiles plus his flight and strength advantage should make quick work of Corvus.

Corvus Glaive (Powerhouse Tier) gets the vote from me; he could go toe to toe with Vision, I don't believe War Machine (Top Tier) could do.

Nah, in a fair fight Vision would curb stomp Corvus.
What we saw in Infinity War was Corvus sneakily backstabbing Vision because he wouldn't stand a chance in a straight fight, followed by Corvus fighting evenly with a badly injured Vision.

I'd say Vision's powerhouse, War Machine's upper top tier and Corvus is in the superhuman tier, around the same level as his 'sisters' Gamora and Nebula.

Last edited:
I think Corvus being in Cap's league is being misinterpreted. Again, MCU Cap seems to be way stronger than 616 Cap. I think War Machine having flight may have a small advantage but isn't something that Corvus can't handle.

Eh, dealing with an aerial opponent who also has ranged/area attacks is not fun for a ground bound combatant. Yes, he can do parries and blocks with his spear, but its not going to be as effective a defense as, oh, Cap and his shield could manage. Corvus' only chance from the ground is a spear throw and hope to one-shot Rhodey, but Rhodey isn't stupid. I can't imagine him looking at a super warrior with a spear and not thinking "he's gonna throw it", and he's a pretty dang agile aerial fighter. That spear throw is probably not going to land, and as soon as the spear is out of Corvus' hands, guy might as well surrender.

This is not a slight to Corvus Glaive, the dude is legitimately a superhuman powerhouse with a really killer weapon. Arena fights are just really unfair challenges for ninja warriors.

I think Corvus being in Cap's league is being misinterpreted. Again, MCU Cap seems to be way stronger than 616 Cap. I think War Machine having flight may have a small advantage but isn't something that Corvus can't handle.

MCU Cap's best measurable strength feat is holding down the helicopter in Civil War (1.5 tonnes). He's also got some strength feats it's hard to quantify (e.g. resisting Thanos arm, lifting a steel beam off Bucky) so let's be generous and say he's an 8 or 9 tonner.

Corvus had a slight strength advantage over Cap so let's be generous again and say he's a 12 tonner.

War Machine's best strength feat is lifting a tank (60+ tonnes). He's at least 5 times stronger than Corvus. Just to put how huge a factor of 5 strength advantage is into context, an adult male is only 3.5 times stronger than a ten year old.

Plus War Machine has flight, missiles and repulsor beams, and the agility/speed to dodge a spear throw. He's got this.

Last edited:
The flight and heavy ranged attacks are a key advantage. I see War Machine winning.

We only saw him go toe to toe with an injured Vision who was stripped of his phasing and density-altering powers after a total surprise attack from behind during a peaceful scene. If Vision was the one doing the surprise attack Corvus would be dead from Vision's phasing.

l
MCU Cap's best measurable strength feat is holding down the helicopter in Civil War (1.5 tonnes). He's also got some strength feats it's hard to quantify (e.g. resisting Thanos arm, lifting a steel beam off Bucky) so let's be generous and say he's an 8 or 9 tonner.

Corvus had a slight strength advantage over Cap so let's be generous again and say he's a 12 tonner.

War Machine's best strength feat is lifting a tank (60+ tonnes). He's at least 5 times stronger than Corvus. Just to put how huge a factor of 5 strength advantage is into context, an adult male is only 3.5 times stronger than a ten year old.

Plus War Machine has flight, missiles and repulsor beams, and the agility/speed to dodge a spear throw. He's got this.
Cap threw a motorcycle like a frisbee and withstood a blow from Thor going full on with Mjolnir which leveled a forest. Cap is probably 2-3 times stronger than his 616 counterpart.

War Machine

Aerial advantage and immense firepower should make quick work of Corvus.

Cap threw a motorcycle like a frisbee and withstood a blow from Thor going full on with Mjolnir which leveled a forest. Cap is probably 2-3 times stronger than his 616 counterpart.
  • The motorcycle Cap threw was 220kg.
  • Cap isn't anywhere near strong enough to block a hit from Thor using his own strength. He blocked it because his vibranium shield that doesn't obey the laws of physics at all redirected all the energy from Thor's hit away from Cap into the shockwave.
  • I actually think MCU Cap's a lot more than 3 times stronger than 616 Cap, but since 616 Cap's only meant to be peak human (able to lift around 800lbs/360kg) that's not actually saying much.
Anyway, like I said, his best measurable strength feat is the 1.5 tonne feat holding down the helicopter. If we're generous about his hard to measure feats he's maybe an 8 or 9 tonner and since Corvus seemed slightly stronger he's a 12 tonner at best. So even if we're very generous about Corvus' strength, he's still 5 times weaker than War Machine.

Plus there's War Machine's flight advantage, his speed advantage and his ranged firepower to think about. As long as this is a fair fight where Corvus can't start by backstabbing an unsuspecting Rhodey, he should win this fairly easily.

Last edited:
616 Cap may be listed as only "peak human" in the Official Handbook, but that guy has no problem standing toe to toe with folks who are supposedly 10 to 20 times stronger than him. I don't think the MCU version is THAT much stronger than his comic book counterpart. I just think his "peak human" designation in the comics makes no sense in light of his actual feats.

My guess is MCU Cap and others on the Super Soldier spectrum (Gamora, Nebula, T'Challa, Bucky, Corvus, Proxima), can lift between 1-2 tons. I see Thor topping off at around 5 tons and powerhouses like Hulk and Thanos at 10 tons max.

I'd put Rhodey in the 3-4 ton range. He lied about lifting the tank.

616 Cap may be listed as only "peak human" in the Official Handbook, but that guy has no problem standing toe to toe with folks who are supposedly 10 to 20 times stronger than him. I don't think the MCU version is THAT much stronger than his comic book counterpart. I just think his "peak human" designation in the comics makes no sense in light of his actual feats.

My guess is MCU Cap and others on the Super Soldier spectrum (Gamora, Nebula, T'Challa, Bucky, Corvus, Proxima), can lift between 1-2 tons. I see Thor topping off at around 5 tons and powerhouses like Hulk and Thanos at 10 tons max.

I'd put Rhodey in the 3-4 ton range. He lied about lifting the tank.

. . . none of the numbers you have said make the slightest bit of sense, on any level.

Also, yes, in the comics, Cap is peak human. Him taking on opponents in strength contests far above him, is no different than any other character jobbing out their opponent. Its not some special superpower anymore than it is for Wolverine or Spider-man.

I excuse your laughably lazy response in light of the fact that it's Friday and you appear to already be in weekend mode. Let's pick this up again on Monday.

Thor's twisting, not lifting,and there's no indication as to how much strength is required to turn said mechanism.

Admittedly, I am being conservative on my strength estimations based on observed lifting feats. I COULD be willing to go up to 10 tons of lifting power for MCU Odinson, but I don't think he is anywhere close to the Class 100 power of his comic book counterpart.

Thor's twisting, not lifting,and there's no indication as to how much strength is required to turn said mechanism.

Admittedly, I am being conservative on my strength estimations based on observed lifting feats. I COULD be willing to go up to 10 tons of lifting power for MCU Odinson, but I don't think he is anywhere close to the Class 100 power of his comic book counterpart.

6551555-1987497277-65149.png

He's not twisting he's pulling two levers which are opening a colossal space iris which should require over a 100 tons of force. Blue Whales weigh over 200 tons, I'm sure lifting one wouldn't take as much strength as opening a multi-story building sized space mechanism.

So what's your take on this? Just another 10 ton feat?

6552481-3221283524-Shado.gif

6552478-1471382443-FondB.gif

6552503-2843211748-Inbor.gif

You also didn't respond to the feat of Hulk stopping a building sized armored space leviathan with one arm.
tangiblepeskyapisdorsatalaboriosa

Last edited:
6551555-1987497277-65149.png

He's not twisting he's pulling two levers which are opening a colossal space iris which should require over a 100 tons of force. Blue Whales weigh over 200 tons, I'm sure lifting one wouldn't take as much strength as opening a multi-story building sized space mechanism.

So what's your take on this? Just another 10 ton feat?

Neither of us has any frikkin' clue how much lifting strength is required to twist/pull a colosal space iris in a limited gravity environment. If you want to say MCU Thor can lift 100, 200 or seventy three kajillion tons, have at it.

As for me, I don't think movie Thor is over 250 times stronger than movie Cap, as he (supposedly) is in the comics. Given that Cap can engage in hand to hand combat with Loki (for a bit) and Loki can similarly engage with his brother, superhero strength appears to be more evenly distributed in the movie verse.

6552481-3221283524-Shado.gif

6552478-1471382443-FondB.gif

6552503-2843211748-Inbor.gif

You also didn't respond to the feat of Hulk stopping a building sized armored space leviathan with one arm.

Iron Man damaged the headpiece on the Leviathan armor earlier the battle, causing significant damage to the creature's head. A light tap from a preschooler would have had a similar impact, as the damage had already been done.

Thinking about it, I take back my earlier estimates. MCU Thor could MAYBE lift up half a dozen grocery bags at one time, depending on how well the bag boy evenly distributed the heavier items (laundry detergent, milk, etc.). MCU Hulk is about as strong as 3 George Costanzas, who (if Elaine Benes is to be believed), can lift 100 pounds clear over his head.

Iron Man damaged the headpiece on the Leviathan armor earlier the battle, causing significant damage to the creature's head. A light tap from a preschooler would have had a similar impact, as the damage had already been done.[/IMG]

How in the world does that have anything to do with stopping the Leviathan? I didn't say anything about the damage I was referring to the physical strength required to stop it's large body

Here's another feat of Hulk physically pulling another leviathan off it's course to protect civilians at 2:09 secs.

Shot of Hulk CASUALLY catching and throwing a tank at 0:02 secs (tanks range from 35-60 tons).

As for me, I don't think movie Thor is over 250 times stronger than movie Cap, as he (supposedly) is in the comics. Given that Cap can engage in hand to hand combat with Loki (for a bit) and Loki can similarly engage with his brother, superhero strength appears to be more evenly distributed in the movie verse.

So you're just going to ignore their onscreen feats which puts them miles apart? Lol okay

Comicbook Cap has engaged 100 tonners in hand to hand combat so does that randomly lessen their previous opponents strength levels?

The answer is no, not to mention Thor clearly stating he holds back against Loki in Thor 2.

Last edited:
As for your point about Loki, comicbook Cap has engaged 100 tonners in hand to hand combat so does that randomly lessen their previous opponents strength levels?

The answer is no

The answer is "it is pretty much impossible to estimate how strong these characters are given that their power levels fluctuate given plot demands". This is especially true in the comics as "Peak Human" Steve has no business fighting folks who are hundreds of times stronger than him.

Tanks screw up the logic here. They are so damn heavy! I increase my estimate of Hulk's strength to 1,000 George Costanzas. I'll slot Thor in at 500 Costanzas, Loki at 350 Costanzas and Cap at 30 maybe? The Cap/Loki fight doesn't make much sense in this context, but maybe he was fighting the Asgardian flu?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"