MCU Fight: Iron Man Vs. Cull Obsidian

BigThor

God of Thunder
Reaction score
We will be doing VS. battles for the MCU every week and will be using the Winners and Losers to create an accurate power tier list created by some of it's biggest fans (you). So don't forget to VOTE and after voting for a Winner please include a comment on which power tier, both the Winner and Loser should reside within. Also, see below for more details on the characters abilities as well as for a list of available power tiers to choose from.

Don't forget to put which Tier group you think Iron Man and Cull Obsidian belong to in your posts. Also, don't forget I've now added the option of being able to change your vote if you change your mind. :up:

So, without further delay here is this week's match up

IRON MAN

tumblr_pd8gecfVq01xpdwtoo1_540.gif

CULL OBSIDIAN

6401965-7357524108-giphy.gif

IRON MAN

- Flight: This new suit can fly faster than any other armor. Additionally, for an extra boost, Tony can combine his feet together to allow the suit to form a giant rocket thruster, as shown when he propelled himself further in his pursuit to the Q-Ship. He is also able to materialize wing-like structures on the back of his suit for extra assistance during the flight.

- Superhuman Strength: The Mark L Armor is much stronger than any of the previous armors. It was strong enough to lift entire chunks of building-sized structures with ease, as it enables him to lift and drop a massive pillar of a building on Thanos. It also was able to nearly pull off the Infinity Gauntlet from Thanos with aid from Spider-Man, although Thanos was weakened due to Mantis forcing him to sleep. However, the strength of the armor proved to be insufficient to allow Tony to directly and single-handedly combat Thanos, although he still managed to scratch Thanos slightly from a repulsor punch, Thanos went as far as to mock Tony for having only drawn so minimal blood and then proceeded to easily overpower him.

- Superhuman Durability: His new armor is much more durable than ever before, as it was able to show no signs of damaged after experiencing a powerful strike from Cull Obsidian. However, Stark was slightly dazed by the attack, as a result, Spider-Man had to catch a blow from Cull Obsidian using his hammer to prevent Stark from receiving any further damage. It was also able to withstand an entire re-entry meteor being thrown at it, with minimal damages to its integrity. However, the durability of the armor still has limits, as Thanos proved strong enough to punch off pieces of the Mark L's armor with ease.

- Advanced Combat Analysis: The Mark XLVI armor and component artificial intelligence F.R.I.D.A.Y. have the ability to analyze people's specific fighting patterns, and in turn, find a counter to said fighting style. When Stark proved unable to defeat Captain America in hand to hand combat, he had F.R.I.D.A.Y. analyze the pattern of Rogers' moves and find the openings. Once she had done so, Stark beat Rogers down in a matter of seconds, and while Rogers was still ultimately able to win, it was mainly due to a last second distraction.

- Repulsors: Just like every other Iron Man suit, this suit is equipped with repulsors that allows Tony to fire beams and fly. However, with this new armor, they are more devastating and powerful. It is now capable of Deep-Space Propulsion and enables Stark the ability to launch thruster-enhanced repulsor punches and kicks.

- Unibeam: A more powerful version of the repulsor beams. It is located in the chest. However, it requires more power from the Arc Reactor to use and cannot be used as often. He used a blast through the chest to kill Extremis-enhanced Eric Savin after the many times Savin had taken several shots from his repulsor blasts. Indeed, the Unibeam is also powerful enough to disintegrate the Winter Soldier's prosthetic arm. In the Mark L armor, the Unibeam can strip alien metal with great ease

- Shield: To reduce the damage taken by a charged strike from Cull Obsidian, Stark quickly dons his armor and then creates a considerably large shield to protect himself. He uses the shield once more to withstand energy blasts from the Power Stone during his fight with Thanos.

- Repulsor Cannon: Stark can materialize repulsor cannons around his wrists to greatly enhance his energy-based attacks. He is capable of making them a wide variety of sizes. He could make them large to cover the entirety of his wrist, small to only cover the top half of his wrist or, alternatively, wide for a greater sized area of attack. Furthermore, he can use his armor plates to cover a small portion of his wrists to shoot a long beam of repulsor energy. However, it was proven to be ineffective in penetrating the defenses conjured by Thanos using the Power Stone.

- Proton Cannons: The suit can eject and form multiple massive magnetically levitating cannons that enable him to fire a gigantic proton beam that was powerful enough to send Cull Obsidian flying down a street.

- Energy Hammer: The suit is able to conjure a powerful, laser-guided and repulsor-powered hammer. It was able to land a critical blow to Thanos, making him bleed, however, due to his tough skin, it only merely scraped him.

- Blades: For close range combat and slashing attacks, Stark can materialize small, circular blades out of his wrists. He can also form long sword-like blades for slightly longer range as well as large Talon blades that are charged with repulsor energy for enhanced and more devastating attacks.

- Missiles: This new suit is capable of quickly materializing missiles on it's back as shown in Stark's battle with Thanos, although the explosions had no effect on him.

- Jackhammers: The Mark L armor can materialize extremely dense, pressure-activated hammers in the hands with enough force to topple Thanos himself, although it did little damage on the Titan.

- Restraint Construction: The suit is capable of constructing and ejecting multiple traps and snares that are capable of slowing Thanos down and preventing mobility in his hands and feet, although it was only temporary as Thanos was able to rip the trap out of his Gauntlet's hand eventually.

- Magnetic Clamps: The suit is able to generate magnetic clamps that are capable of clamping onto metallic surfaces at high speeds.

CULL OBSIDIAN

- Superhuman Strength: As a result of his great size, Cull Obsidian possessed an incredible level of superhuman strength and was seemingly able to match that of the Hulk, as indicated by Cull intending to fight the Hulk for his master Thanos when Hulk attacked the Mad Titan. Cull's strength indeed allowed him to fight on par with, and even overpower, the Hulkbuster, a weapon that was able to defeat the Hulk, though it should be noted that it had already taken damage from several Outriders. In fact, Cull was strong enough to easily rip the Hulkbuster's arm off.

- Superhuman Durability: Cull Obsidian possessed great levels of superhuman durability, taking numerous blows from Iron Man's enhanced nanotech suit, the Hulkbuster armor, and even a full blast of Black Panther's kinetic energy projection, all with absolutely no sign of harm. However, Cull's durability appears to have a maximum limit, since he was destroyed when Bruce Banner's detached Hulkbuster arm lifted and dragged Cull into the intense energy of Wakanda's barrier.

- Combatant: Despite his ferociousness and recklessness, Cull Obsidian was a highly formidable and accomplished combatant, who used his massive size and strength to great effect. His skill allowed him to overpower Iron Man and fight off both him and Spider-Man, with only Wong's interference of opening a portal to send him to another place preventing him from killing Iron Man. During the Battle of Wakanda, Cull easily overpowered and slayed many Wakandan warriors and even managed to go toe-to-toe with and dominate Bruce Banner in the Hulkbuster, only being defeated when the latter outsmarted him.

- Cull Obsidian's Hammer: Cull Obsidian utilized a massive multi-tool like weapon that had a wide range of abilities. It was primarily used as a hammer and the head of the hammer could be launched attached to a chain to hit targets at a distance. It also possessed a claw like function, being capable of grabbing targets. It could also transform into a shield that was capable of deflecting energy blasts. The upper half of the device can also be launched as a snare while the rest can turn into a long blade.

- Cybernetic Arm: Cull Obsidian had his left forearm replaced with a prosthetic, having lost it when it was trapped in a magic portal that was closed by Wong, severing his arm. The prosthetic is capable of turning into a short blade.

*****Below is the list of power tiers to choose from. Please select a power tier for each character doing battle (the characters below in Red are not in any particular order). Be aware both characters can share the same power tier*****

The character's current statuses below are as follows

*****NOTE: Characters that are OFFICIAL will always be Placed above characters that are UNOFFICIAL.*****

Cosmic Tier (cosmic/interdimension level power/presence on a planetary scale, at the minimum)
Thanos (w/ Filled Infinity Gauntlet)
Dormmamu
Eson The Searcher with Infinity Stone
Surtur Prime
Ego The Living Planet
Odin
Doctor Strange (w/ Time Gem)

Transcendent Tier (City to planetary level power & Cosmic/interdimensional level influence on a local scale?)
Thor
Hela
Captain Marvel
Thanos (Base)
Ronan with the Power Stone
Kurse
Surtur's Fire Dragon
Fenris
Ultron Prime (Vibranium)

Powerhouse Tier (Beyond top tier, power/interdimensional power on a block to city Level)
Doctor Strange
Vision
Malekith (W/ reality gem)
Hulk
Ghost Rider
Ebony Maw
Scarlet Witch
Destroyer
Hulkbuster Ironman
Pre-Eternal Flame Surtur
Abomination
Abilisk
Jotunheim Beast
Kronan
Ancient One
Giant Man
Kaecilius

Top Tier (Street to block level?)
Ronan
Valkyrie
Hogun
Aldrich Killian
Loki
Drax
Heimdall
War Machine
Corvus Glaive
Iron Monger
Whiplash
Quake
Malekith
Sif
Fandral
Volstagg
Korath The Pursuer
Groot
Killgrave
Yondu
Lash
Hive
Frigga
Pepper Potts with Extremis
Mantis
Skurge
Korg
Baron Mordo
Master Wong
Corvus Glaive

Superhuman Tier (Street Level)
Black Panther
Captain America
Spider-Man
Gamora
Star-Lord
Vulture
Falcon
Winter Soldier
Luke Cage
Yon-Rogg
Red Skull
Crossbones
Quicksilver
Iron Fist
Jessica Jones
Eric Savin (Extremis Soldier)
Ellen Brandt (Extremis Soldier)
Emil Blonsky (Super Soldier)
Madame Gao
Mr. Hyde
Slingshot
Aida
Raina
Deathlok
The Patriot
Carl Creed the Absorbing Man
Lorelei
Nebula
Miek
Ant Man
Yellow Jacket
Proxima Midnight
Erik Killmonger
Ulysses Klaue

Street Tier (non super human, agent level)
Daredevil
Elektra
Black Widow
Okoye
Rocket Racoon
Hawkeye
Nick Fury
Punisher
Coleen Wing
Batroc the Leaper
Shocker
Kingpin
Nobu
Diamondback
Bakuto
Peggy Carter
Sharon Carter Agent 13
Dum Dum Dugan
Mocking Bird
Maria Hill
Misty Knight
The Punisher
Phil Coulson
Zemo
Jig Saw
M'Baku
Shuri

We've already seen this fight once, Tony got some good hits in but Cull would've killed him if it hadn't been for Wong. All the same though, I vote Iron Man.

I don't think Tony brought his A game to their first fight. In the opening seconds he outclassed Cull and ragdolled him but then he gets overconfident/distracted by what's happening to Peter and almost dies.

If he fought the way he fought against Thanos (superior to Cull in every way) he'd win.

We've already seen this fight once, Tony got some good hits in but Cull would've killed him if it hadn't been for Wong. All the same though, I vote Iron Man.

I don't think Tony brought his A game to their first fight. In the opening seconds he outclassed Cull and ragdolled him but then he gets overconfident/distracted by what's happening to Peter and almost dies.

If he fought the way he fought against Thanos (superior to Cull in every way) he'd win.

Hmmmm..... they were trading blows in the early part of IW with neither having a clear advantage - slight edge to Cull in that encounter. Cull was pretty effective against the Hulkbuster at first , but was killed off kind of easily.

I think if the fight wore on Tony would find a way to win eventually but if he fights stupidly or simply tries to overpower Cull he's in trouble.

Yeah was a bit of a funny one this in IW, Cull seemed to have the advantage in NY but then IM had a really good showing against Thanos who is obviously a superior fighter to Cull. IM needed help from Spidey and Wong but at the same time Ebony Maw was getting hits in against IM.

I think eventually IM would win in a one Vs one but it would be hard fought.

Hmmmm..... they were trading blows in the early part of IW with neither having a clear advantage - slight edge to Cull in that encounter. Cull was pretty effective against the Hulkbuster at first , but was killed off kind of easily.

I think if the fight wore on Tony would find a way to win eventually but if he fights stupidly or simply tries to overpower Cull he's in trouble.

Agreed. I think this really depends on how seriously Tony takes the fight.

We know from the Tony vs Thanos fight that he could use his speed/flight advantage to keep Cull off balance, his ranged weapons to stun/rag doll him and the Bleeding Edge suit's adaptive nanotech to enhance his hits in close range (the attack that made Thanos bleed), keep him off balance with restraints or create blades. If he fights like that then he's got this.

On a sidenote, I'm pretty sure the Cull vs Hulkbuster fight was only close because it was Banner in the suit.

Last edited:
Iron Man was getting thrashed for most of this fight. Giving it to Cull. Now, if Tony was in his Hulkbuster suit, he would win.

Cull dominated Stark in New York and I didn't see anything from the battle in Titan that Stark showed that would significantly affect Cull enough to shift the odds in Stark's favor.

Cull dominated Stark in New York and I didn't see anything from the battle in Titan that Stark showed that would significantly affect Cull enough to shift the odds in Stark's favor.

Are you gonna vote?

This is an odd one as Iron Man was saved by both Spider-Man and Wong in his fight with Cull, but he had a clearly better showing against Thanos with more impresive feats.

Of course all the heroes seemed to get temporarily knocked out or incapacitated at some point against Thanos and were able to come back because others could step in while they recovered, so that might be why things looked better there. Thanos with four Infinity Stones is far above Cull Obsidian though.

I think both characters are capable of winning, but I guess I have to go with the showing they had together as Iron Man had his top armor at the time and Cull had taken him out if it wasn't for that Tony had friends helping him in the fight. Even with the team up they only managed to displace Cull, not defeat him. Cull also did one-shot War Machine.

Cull. He was about to kill Tony if Wong didn't intervene.

Iron Man with ease. First part of the fight, in the street, Iron Man took him down quickly and would have finished him if the Maw didn't interfere.. Second part of the fight, at the park, Cull got the slight upper hand only because Iron Man was distracted by telling Spidey to go after Strange.

Not once did Cull come close to doing the damage on Iron Man that Thanos did. And Iron Man didn't use his full armor's potential like he did to Thanos.

He could just freeze his head and take the laser to take him out Demolition Man style. (just one of the possible ways to beat him)

Iron Man with ease. First part of the fight, in the street, Iron Man took him down quickly and would have finished him if the Maw didn't interfere.. Second part of the fight, at the park, Cull got the slight upper hand only because Iron Man was distracted by telling Spidey to go after Strange.

Not once did Cull come close to doing the damage on Iron Man that Thanos did. And Iron Man didn't use his full armor's potential like he did to Thanos.

He could just freeze his head and take the laser to take him out Demolition Man style. (just one of the possible ways to beat him)

I voted Iron Man because Tony showed he can handle Cull if he fights seriously:
giphy.gif

and because he had a way better showing against Thanos (superior to Cull in every way).

The bias in your comment is a bit ridiculous though so I've got to call you out. Cull had the clear advantage for most of their fight in Infinity War and would've killed Stark if it wasn't for Wong.

Cull rag dolls Iron Man (i.e. Cull's takes back the upper hand way before Iron Man gets distracted by what's going on with Peter)

giphy.gif

then Cull floors Iron Man again and Spidey saves him from a major blow (i.e. Cull had the upper hand before Peter showed up)

giphy.gif

then when Tony finally does get distracted Cull grabs him out of the air, traps him in a restraint and gets within a second of finishing him off before Wong saves him (i.e. Cull had a bad place of a lot more than a slight upper hand)

giphy.gif

On the notion that IM was distracted by Spidey, I would argue against that. Spidey stops Cull from pounding IM into the ground when he first appears. Spidey is also the only one that landed any relevant blow to Cull in the park. IM doesn't get hit when he tells Spidey to go after Strange so that didn't matter. When Spidey is being beamed up IM never does anything that looks like he's taking his concentration off the fight as he keeps attacking, but he just can't stop Cull from trapping him and rendering him helpless long enough for a potential coup de grace.

As for IM fighting seriously, you could also say that Cull fights more seriously after they reach the park as it's only then he starts using defense, which he does very well.

As I previously said I think IM can win the fight, but in the one we have IM was the one that had more help and still lost.

Iron Man withstood a frontal attack from the power stone, he had a moon dropped on him with little damage, he went toe to toe with Thanos and his Infinity Gauntlet. I doubt that had Cull landed on him with the blade would've killed him.

Mark L is more advanced than the Hulkbuster suit in every way.

And add to it, Tony Stark is Iron Man, meaning, he wouldn't be retrained to one suit or one mode of attack. Has multiple suits at his disposal, he had Veronica up in the sky ready to drop the entrapment cage on Cull, the Iron Legion, he has plans A, B and C.

With how easy Cull got taken out at the end, Tony would do something similar to what Banner did and send him to orbit.

Cull Obsidian is tailor made for Iron Man.

I tend to think Cull would take it, unless you spot Tony some giant extremely high end bit of damaging environmental hazard.

I think location plays a factor as well, the reason Tony seemed to do much better against Thanos was actually given reasoning in the movie itself, on Titan, there were no civilians to worry about where as with the Cull fight there was.

No, we didn’t see Tony rescuing civilians, but they would have been in the back of his mind and effected how much he unleashed. If IM faced Cull on Titan, I think he would have gone all out and beat him individually.

*long list of exaggerated Iron Man feats*

Dude, most of us agree with you that Iron Man wins this but your fanboyism's showing when you talk as though he's invincible and it won't even be close. He was losing to Cull in Infinity War so he needs to bring his A game to win this.

Iron Man

Difficult fight but he would prevail at the end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"