MCU Fight: Nick Fury Vs Hawkeye

Discussion in 'Marvel Films' started by BigThor, Dec 25, 2018.

?

MCU Fight: Nick Fury Vs Hawkeye

Poll closed Dec 30, 2018.
  1. Nick Fury

20.0%
  2. Hawkeye

80.0%
  1. BigThor

BigThor God of Thunder

We will be doing VS. battles for the MCU every week and will be using the Winners and Losers to create an accurate power tier list created by some of it's biggest fans (you). So don't forget to VOTE and after voting for a Winner please include a comment on which power tier, both the Winner and Loser should reside within. Also, see below for more details on the characters abilities as well as for a list of available power tiers to choose from.

Don't forget to put which Tier group you think Nick Fury and Hawkeye belong to in your posts. Also, don't forget I've now added the option of being able to change your vote if you change your mind. :up:

So, without further delay here is this week's match up

NICK FURY

[​IMG]

Vs.

HAWKEYE

[​IMG]

NICK FURY

-
    Master Tactician: Fury was a master strategist and an astute judge of character. He used these talents to great effect in his leadership of S.H.I.E.L.D.. Fury showed foresight by instigating many operations like the Avengers Initiative, Theta Protocol, Phase 2, Project P.E.G.A.S.U.S., Project T.A.H.I.T.I., and Project Insightto counter threats to global security. Fury has done what would be called questionable tactics all throughout his years in command but nonetheless, he will ultimately do what is right. Case in point, when the World Security Council ordered him to strike New York City with a nuclear missile, he would not, going as far as disabling one of the planes with a rocket launcher and warning Iron Man.

- Master Spy
    :
    When Fury needed intelligence on Bruce Banner, he sat practically unnoticed among restaurant patrons to observe him. Fury managed to make the majority of those who knew him think he was dead, including HYDRA.

- Expert Combatant
    :
    Fury was a seasoned unarmed and armed-combat expert and veteran. He was able to take down two brainwashed agents with ease.

- Expert Marksman
    :
    Fury was also trained to use U.S. military firearms. He is highly proficient in artillery such as a Rocket Launcher to accurately disable a F-35 Lightning from taking off to bombed Manhattan. During the HYDRA assassination attempt on his life, Nick used the built in Turret of his personal SUV with expert precision, killing multiple HYDRA assassins in quick succession.

- Master Pilot
    : F
    ury was able to pilot a helicopter onto the helipad at the Triskelion and maneuver it through rubble in order to save Sam Wilson during the Triskelion's destruction.

- Smith & Wesson M&P
    : The Smith & Wesson M&P pistol is the standard sidearm carried by S.H.I.E.L.D. agents, and Fury also carried one as his sidearm, using it to fire at Loki while he escaped after having obtained the Tesseract for the first time, when the Helicarrier is attacked, during the Battle at the Triskelion, and to try to kill John Garrett during the Battle at Cybertek. He also carried it while commanding the bridge of the Helicarrier during the Battle of Sokovia, but he did not use it against any of the Ultron Sentries that attacked it.

-
    Glock 17: The Glock 17 was the standard sidearm used by S.H.I.E.L.D. agents, before being replaced by the Smith & Wesson M&P. Fury carried one while he accompanied Tony Stark to his mansion in order to help him overcome his Palladium poisoning finishing Howard Stark's work.

- Airtronic RPG-7
    : A heavy rocket launcher that Fury used to disable a F-35 Lightning II that had received orders to drop a nuclear bomb on Manhattan. Though he successfully shot the rocked and prevented the plane from taking off, another F-35 had been ordered to do the same, and Fury was unable to prevent it.

HAWKEYE

- Master Marksman: Hailed as the World's greatest marksman, Barton is an outstanding all-around master marksman, tremendously skilled in wielding both conventional firearms and archery bows with virtually unerring accuracy. Due to his superior eyesight and impeccable hand-eye coordination, Barton is capable of firing multiple arrows in a few seconds, strike enemies's weak points with extreme accuracy and directly hit small targets in the greatest of distances, even precisely shoot down a Chitauri Chariot without even looking at it. He is ambidextrous, able to use bows with either hand in either place. He can also score a bulls-eye with three darts simultaneously thrown without effort. During his retirement, he often played golf where he claimed to hit a hole-in-one every single time.

-
    Master Assassin: Barton is one of S.H.I.E.L.D.'s greatest assassins, having once been assigned to kill Black Widow, a notorious master assassin, and was assigned to be a special agent in S.H.I.E.L.D.'s investigation of the item that was found in New Mexico, having been able to neutralize Thor in case Phil Coulson had ordered it.

-
    Expert Acrobat: Barton is highly athletic and agile, capable of complex acrobatic maneuvers.

-
    Master Martial Artist: Barton is an excellent combatant, having been extensively trained in various forms of martial arts as an agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. He could swiftly incapacitate Scarlet Witchin close quarters, successfully avoiding her mind manipulation powers. When brainwashed by Loki, he could fight the extremely skilled Black Widow to a standstill, only losing when the latter resorted to guerrilla tactics to best him in combat. In the Avengers Civil War, he later fought evenly against her again, and was able to swiftly knock Black Widow down, but it should be noted that Scarlet Witch swiftly interrupted their duel and called Barton out on pulling his punches. He also managed to temporarily hold his own against the considerably stronger Black Pantherduring the airport fight. Barton also managed to bring down many Chitauri troops and Ultron Sentries while fighting alongside the other Avengers, using his bow and arrows as melee weapons for close quarters.

-
    Expert Tactician: Barton has been trained in military tactics, being able to command a team of operatives under the unwitting control of Loki to heist a vault in Germany and infiltrate the S.H.I.E.L.D. Helicarrier with esteemed success, often using diversions to accomplish his goals.

-
    Expert Pilot: Barton is an accomplished pilot, able to fly a Quinjet even when a fierce battle was going on and even receiving a cargo into the Quinjet while piloting it in mid-air. He was also the one usually piloting the Avengers Quinjet before he left the team.

-
    Multilingualism: According to his S.H.I.E.L.D. file, Barton can speak English, Russian, Chinese, and Arabic.

- Recurve Bows: Hawkeye is seen with two separate recurve bows: the first is seen while he is under Loki's mind control and in the direct aftermath at the Battle of New York. It is a heavily customized Hoyt Buffalo in 'blackout' colors, and is capable of folding on itself for easier transport and concealment by way of added hinges located by the tiller adjustment bolts. It also has multiple buttons on the bow's grip which are capable of selecting specific arrowheads stored in his mechanical quiver. A laser sight to assist in targeting can also be found on the riser. The second recurve bow Hawkeye uses is the Hoyt Gamemaster II, seen in his hands during the Avengers' attack on the HYDRA Research Base and War against Ultron. Like the Hoyt Buffalo he used before, the customized Gamemaster II has several selector buttons on the grip so Hawkeye can choose the arrowhead he needs. The bow has a capability to transform into a bo staff which can be used for closed quarters combat. The bow was destroyed by Black Panther during the Clash of the Avengers.

-
    Compound Bow: When Thor broke the perimeter S.H.I.E.L.D.had set up around Mjølnir, Hawkeye was one of the agents who responded to Phil Coulson's order to neutralize him. Although Coulson requested that a firearm be used for the job, Hawkeye chose the Mathews Apex 7 compound bow instead. Hawkeye aimed at Thor from an aerial position in a crane, but ultimately did not fire.

- Specialized Arrow Quiver: Hawkeye's quiver was supplied with a multitude of different arrow heads in the bottom. By dialling up an armament setting from a control on his bow, Hawkeye could cause the quiver to affix these special arrowheads. This effectively increased the capabilities from conventional arrows, to explosive arrows, a grapple line, and more.

- Trick Arrows: Hawkeye has a number of trick arrows, utilized to perform specific tasks.

-
    Speed Loader: Hawkeye uses a Speed Loader arrow cartridge capable of holding nine collapsible arrows.

*****Below is the list of power tiers to choose from. Please select a power tier for each character doing battle (the characters below in Red are not in any particular order). Be aware both characters can share the same power tier*****

The character's current statuses below are as follows

*****NOTE: Characters that are OFFICIAL will always be Placed above characters that are UNOFFICIAL.*****

Cosmic Tier (cosmic/interdimension level power/presence on a planetary scale, at the minimum)
    Thanos (w/ Filled Infinity Gauntlet)

Dormmamu
    Eson The Searcher with Infinity Stone
    Surtur Prime
    Ego The Living Planet
    Odin
    Doctor Strange (w/ Time Gem)

Transcendent Tier (City to planetary level power & Cosmic/interdimensional level influence on a local scale?)
    Thor

Hela
    Thanos (Base)
    Ronan with the Power Stone
    Kurse
    Surtur's Fire Dragon
    Fenris
    Ultron Prime (Vibranium)

Powerhouse Tier (Beyond top tier, power/interdimensional power on a block to city Level)
    Vision

Malekith (W/ reality gem)
    Doctor Strange
    Hulk
    Ghost Rider
    Ebony Maw
    Scarlet Witch
    Destroyer
    Hulkbuster Ironman
    Pre-Eternal Flame Surtur
    Abomination
    Cull Obsidian
    Abilisk
    Iron Man
    Jotunheim Beast
    Kronan
    Ancient One
    Giant Man
    Kaecilius

Top Tier (Street to block level?)
    Ronan

Valkyrie
    Hogun
    Aldrich Killian
    Loki
    Drax
    Heimdall
    War Machine
    Iron Monger
    Whiplash
    Quake
    Malekith
    Sif
    Fandral
    Volstagg
    Korath The Pursuer
    Groot
    Killgrave
    Yondu
    Lash
    Hive
    Frigga
    Pepper Potts with Extremis
    Mantis
    Skurge
    Korg
    Baron Mordo
    Master Wong
    Corvus Glaive

Superhuman Tier (Street Level)
    Black Panther

Captain America
    Spider-Man
    Gamora
    Star-Lord
    Vulture
    Falcon
    Winter Soldier
    Red Skull
    Crossbones
    Quicksilver
    Iron Fist
    Luke Cage
    Jessica Jones
    Eric Savin (Extremis Soldier)
    Ellen Brandt (Extremis Soldier)
    Emil Blonsky (Super Soldier)
    Madame Gao
    Mr. Hyde
    Slingshot
    Aida
    Raina
    Deathlok
    The Patriot
    Carl Creed the Absorbing Man
    Lorelei
    Nebula
    Miek
    Ant Man
    Yellow Jacket
    Proxima Midnight
    Erik Killmonger
    Ulysses Klaue

Street Tier (non super human, agent level)
    Daredevil

Elektra
    Black Widow
    Okoye
    Rocket Racoon
    Hawkeye
    Punisher
    Coleen Wing
    Batroc the Leaper
    Shocker
    Kingpin
    Nobu
    Diamondback
    Bakuto
    Peggy Carter
    Sharon Carter Agent 13
    Dum Dum Dugan
    Mocking Bird
    Maria Hill
    Misty Knight
    The Punisher
    Nick Fury
    Phil Coulson
    Zemo
    Jig Saw
    M'Baku
    Shur

2. Batmannerism

Batmannerism Super-unknown

Okay in a straight up fist fight or gun fight Hawkeye takes this. However, I voted for Fury. This is why.....Nick Fury would not engage in a straight up fist fight or gun fight with Hawkeye. Fury has plans within schemes within tricks. Somehow Fury would set up any confrontation so that he had a decisive advantage or at least so tha Client's advantages were neutralized.

PrehistoricDog likes this.
  3. Stormborn

Stormborn Friendly Neighbourhood Thunder God

Agreed. Hawkeye's a world class martial artist that can go toe to toe with Black Widow, one of the best marksmen in the MCU (rivalled only by Bullseye) and tactically brilliant.

Fury's an expert marksman but not on Hawkeye's level. He's a skilled hand to hand combatant but we haven't seen enough to suggest he's world class and even if he was, he's past his prime physically.

I don't think that's how these fights should work. I always imagine them starting within sight of each other in neutral terrain, with their standard gear and no prep time beforehand. Seems like the best way to determine who's more dangerous in a fight.

You might argue that's not in character and you'd be right. It's also not in character for Fury and Hawkeye to fight in the first place, for them to both want to fight to the finish and neither of them to call in backup. For a hypothetical question of who's a more dangerous combatant I think you can put those things aside.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2018
  4. Docker2.0

Docker2.0 Watchin' you!

Going Fury here. I think he's always prepared "just in case" something pops off.

PrehistoricDog likes this.
  5. Spider-Fan

Spider-Fan SHHFFL 2014 Champion

I am operating under the assumption that the fight just happens for whatever reason, and in that case, Hawkeye wins in a landslide. Fury has no chance in a straight fight against Hawkeye.

Batmannerism and Stormborn like this.
  6. Batmannerism

As I said, in a straight up fight Hawkeye wins - guns, fists, shuffleboard, whatever....

However, I feel like craftiness and sneakiness is Fury's superpower and that if we go with a completely neutral setting etc we're ignoring that.

It's a bit like Batman vs Superman ( not the terrible film). If they meet on neutral terrain with no prep time and have an actual fight where Superman doesn't hold back, well it's game over for Batman. However, that would literally never happen because we know Batman would have a plan to defeat Superman - even if Supes attacked when Batman was relaxing in a Jacuzzi, we know that Batman would have already have a plan for that contingency ( " Kryptonite bath salts ? Red Sun lamps ?) I'm being silly here but you get my point.

Now Fury isn't quite on Batman's level of strategic genius, but he's certainly as paranoid as Batman - hence I believe he would know Barton's strengths and weaknesses and have a plan to play on those and be able to predict Clint's moves.

Would this work against an opponent of immense power (like Thor) or of equal/greater tactical skill and superior physical ability and skill ( like Cap)? I would say no. But against Hawkeye, I think it at least gives Fury an even chance.

I feel that if we don't recognize this aspect of Fury's character that we are ignoring an essential part of him - kind of like having Iron Man fight without his armour.

Having said all that I agree that in a fight with no prep time, no plans etc Hawkeye is physically superior and a better shot. If this fight occurred under UFC conditions then Hawkeye easily - if not then Fury has more than an even chance.

7. Spider-Fan

To this point in the MCU, Fury's answer to things has mainly been bring in someone else who can take care of the threat. He hasn't had any type of sequence where he himself used prep time to take down a major target to his advantage. Not that I think he cannot do it, but I see no evidence he could overcome Clint. At least, not enough to instill me the desire to vote for Fury. We're measuring power tiers here, and I think Hawkeye is above Fury.

Stormborn likes this.
  8. Docker2.0

Docker2.0 Watchin' you!

He kind of was in Civil War when he was "killed" but just got overwhelmed. I do not see Hawkeye overwhelming Nick. He is "THE" spy and has all kinds of gadgets that we don't know about.

9. Spider-Fan

Speculatory. What have we tangibly seen out of Nick that should make me think he wins this? I have seen Clint get into fights and defeat people seemingly more skilled in hand to hand combat than him, and Fury was more or less helpless when confronted with a mind controlled Clint in Avengers. I see no way he wins this at all.

10. PrehistoricDog

PrehistoricDog Futurism

Hawkeye.

Clint might be surprised by Fury's gadgets but he would be able to overcome them. He's shown on numerous occasions that he's able to adapt to changing circumstances in battles.

11. Batmannerism

Okay - for the sake of power tiers I will agree that Hawkeye should win - and I have already agreed Clint would win a straight up fight.

I think @Docker2.0 is referring to Cap: TWS where Fury escaped by out thinking and out-fighting a horde of heavily armed attackers who were hell-bent on killing him, and evaded the Winter Soldier. That's an example of Fury's tactical thinking - having the foresight to convincingly fake his own death shows his strategic thinking.

Despite agreeing about Clint winning a straight up fight,I still think you're underestimating Fury. Who knows what sneaky plans he put in place after Shield fell ?

12. Stormborn

Sounds like we agree that in a neutral setting/scenario with no prep Hawkeye takes this without too much difficulty but that in a setting/scenario that favours Fury (e.g. setting the fight in a SHIELD base Fury's rigged with traps) it would be a more even fight. That's hardly fair though so for power tier purposes I voted Hawkeye.

Can't say I'm with you there, we've seen Supes beat Batman within an inch of his life before when he was mind controlled and Batman didn't see it coming (he survived because Wonder Woman stepped in):
    [​IMG]

and we've also seen before that even when Batman has prep, he still ends up fighting a losing battle and he has to rely on Clark holding back and breaking free of mind control to survive:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

For me, a huge part of what makes Batman's hard fought win over Superman in Dark Knight Returns so epic is that Batman's completely defying the odds and to pull off it took a combination of manufacturing kryptonite (which took years and cost a fortune), power armour and the gambit that Supes would hold back for long enough to spring the trap.

Anyway, I'm guessing you still agree that Superman would be above Batman if we were doing DC power tiers?

Back on topic, 616 Fury's as paranoid as Batman but I don't think MCU Fury's in the same league.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2018
    Batmannerism likes this.
  13. Spider-Fan

It's not so much I feel I am underestimating Fury as much as I feel others are overestimating him. Yes, he's a brilliant tactician and one of the smartest tactical minds in the MCU. But we cannot apply Batman logic to him because he lacks a very key ingredient Batman possesses: his skill. Fury is no doubt a competent fighter. Probably one of the better guys in SHIELD, but Hawkeye is clearly one of SHIELD's elite fighters. I don't see how he wins this without backup. As noted prior, Fury mostly in these movies has been the guy who knew who to call in order to solve a problem. Not so much the guy who did it himself.

Batmannerism likes this.
  14. Batmannerism

That's fair, and I can't disagree with your examples - my use of "that would literally never happen" is demonstrably wrong, perhaps I should of said," that would very rarely happen"

The Maxwell Lord Mind control scenario was one time Batman didn't see Superman's attack coming ( Superman thought he was fighting Darkseid)and the Poison Ivy scenario reinforces Batman's prep-level/paranoia as he's carrying his kryptonite ring - I mean who carries something as insurance in case one of your closest allies goes rogue?. It's kind of a Michael Corleone move, you know " Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer."

There are a couple of recent examples of Batman's anti-Superman prep:

- in the Joker:Endgame storyline Batman had to fight a mind controlled Superman who wasn't holding back and defeated him by spitting Kryptonite him in his eye ( which he just happened to have stored in his helmet)

- In a recent Poison Ivy storyline he temporarily neutralized Superman with a dog whistle. Why was he carrying a dog whistle, who knows ( maybe the K-ring was at the jewellers being cleaned).

Given the right weapons and prep Batman can beat pretty much anyone ( e.g. he once shot Darkseid with a bullet made of the one substance that could kill him - my favorite example is when he takes out a squad of white Martians, all of whom rival Superman, with a can of gasoline and a match). That does not make him the most powerful being in the DC universe - but it does make him the most dangerous.

This is an example of this power tier system being determined by single combat being a little flawed that way - but it's great fun, so who cares. Similarly I believe that MCU Spider Man has more raw power than MCU Cap but I think it's been established that Cap would kick his ass in a straight up fight - and already has.

Back to topic - I will agree that MCU Fury is no Batman in terms of skill, and possibly not in terms of paranoia.

15. Stormborn

Batman's a great character, and I love that he's able to hold his own in a world of super powers because he's a tactical/scientific genius and the world's greatest detective. I prefer it to have limits though, no amount of prep should have him single handedly beating the cosmic threats in DC like Darkseid, Anti-Monitor, the Spectre etc when they're at their full power.

Beating characters like Superman should require him to push his limits, take calculated risks, exploit the circumstances and exploit every weakness he can. It makes for a better story if he doesn't always win and if he needs allies.

Case in point:
    • Beating Superman in the Dark Knight Returns required Superman to be weakened by a nuclear bomb, Superman to be holding back rather than going all out, powered armour and artificial kryptonite that 'took years and cost a fortune'.
    • Batman vs Superman in Hush had Batman - even with Kryptonite - fighting a losing battle and only surviving because Supes was resisting the mind control enough to pull his punches. In the end, he only survived because eventually Supes snapped out of it.
    • Beating White Martians required them to presume he died in a crash, giving him the chance to figure out they're martians and set up a trap with gasoline to exploit their huge weakness to fire.
    • Beating Darkseid in Final Crisis, required Darkseid to be 'a rotten carcass of a god' who'd been 'wounded beyond repair' by Orion already and even then, getting hold of a bullet made from Darkseid's kryptonite, breaking his rule to never use firearms and even then, it was a mutual kill rather than a win.
    • Stunning Superman with the dog whistle only worked because he was possessed by Poison Ivy and she wasn't used to filtering his kryptonian hearing.
    • Even the most extreme example - the Justice Buster Suit and the Kryptonite gum we saw in Endgame - required who knows how much time and money to prepare, the forewarning to put the suit on before Supes attacked and - once the suit was torn apart - for Superman to give Batman the chance to beg rather than just killing him.
    Yeah, between the rock, paper, scissors aspect of it and the way fights vary by circumstances/prep it's never going to be perfect.

MCU Cap vs MCU Spider-Man isn't actually a great example though. Until Spidey grows up and masters his powers, Cap's powerful/skilled enough to take a majority over him on neutral territory.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2018
    Batmannerism likes this.
  16. Shoppy

Shoppy Well-Known Member

Hawkeye unless Fury has comms eqpt.

17. zazarickoty

zazarickoty Member

Sounds like we agree that in a neutral setting/scenario with no prep Hawkeye takes this without too much difficulty but that in a setting/scenario that favours Fury (e.g. setting the fight in a SHIELD base Fury's rigged with traps) it would be a more even fight. That's hardly fair though so for power tier purposes I voted Hawkeye.

Stormborn likes this.