MCU Fight: Surtur Prime Vs. Ego the Living Planet

BigThor

God of Thunder
Reaction score
We will be doing VS. battles for the MCU every week and will be using the Winners and Losers to create an accurate power tier list created by some of it's biggest fans (you). So don't forget to VOTE and after voting for a Winner please include a comment on which power tier, both the Winner and Loser should reside within. Also, see below for more details on the characters abilities as well as for a list of available power tiers to choose from.

Don't forget to put which Tier group you think Surtur Prime and Ego The Living Planet belong to in your posts. :up:

So, without further delay here is this week's match up

SURTUR PRIME VS. EGO THE LIVING PLANET

ColossalDishonestIchneumonfly-size_restricted.gif

hqdefault.jpg

SURTUR PRIME

- Fire Giant Physiology: Surtur was one of the most powerful beings in the Nine Realms. Upon being resurrected by the Eternal Flame, Surtur's powers were immeasurably increased, with him single-handedly bringing Ragnarök to Asgard and destroying the incredibly powerful Hela herself fairly easily.

- Fire Manipulation: As a Fire Giant, Surtur can generate massive waves of fire from his Twilight Sword to engulf his targets in flames.

- Immense Strength: Surtur's original level of strength was on par with that of Thor, but after being revived from the Eternal Flame, it was tremendously increased to incalculable superhuman levels, to the point that he effortlessly swatted away a leaping Hulk, and even fairly quickly destroyed Hela herself.

- Invulnerability: Surtur, after being revived from the Eternal Flame, became practically invulnerable, only slightly stumbling from Hulk's leaping blow, and being barely affected by Hela piercing him with many oversized blades.

- Expert Swordsman: Surtur is skilled at combatively utilizing his massive flaming Twilight Sword, using it to swiftly slice apart Asgardian palaces, and to destroy Hela.

- Twilight Sword: A large, burning blade seemingly made up of fire. It can shoot flames to engulf any enemy and grows with Surtur after he had been revived. It's tremendously strong, enough so to destroy Asgard entirely when Surtur brought about Ragnarök by plunging his blade into the ground, shattering Asgard and everything on it.

- Crown of Surtur: A burning crown that holds Surtur's being. When removed, it turns a dull black/grayish color and Surtur's body disappears. It is also Surtur's source of power. When combined with the Eternal Flame, Surtur becomes powerful enough to swiftly destroy a realm as powerful as Asgard.

- Eternal Flame: The Eternal Flame is an ever-burning fire which was originally kept in Asgard's weapons vault. After Hela uses it to revive her old warriors and wolf, Fenris, it was ultimately used by Loki to revive Surtur and bring about Ragnarök. By placing the Crown of Surtur in the Eternal Flame, the fire giant was able to destroy Asgard completely with his overwhelming power.

EGO THE LIVING PLANET

- Immortality: Ego, like his race, was immortal and ancient. While giving Star-Lord, Gamora and Drax a tour of his planet, he stated that he was millions of years old. He can only be truly killed if his true form, his brain, is destroyed.

- Superhuman Strength: As a Celestial, Ego's physical strength is at immense superhuman levels. He was able to casually crush Quill's Walkman Headset in his hand, as well as smash through stones and propel his son across the vast underground center of his planet during their fight. It is also said by the*Collector*that these beings have such incalculable strength, that they can allegedly wield the*Infinity Stones.

- Superhuman Durability: In addition to his powerful strength, Ego also has superhuman durability which makes him almost impervious to physical attacks. His avatars are also superhumanly durable. He was able to withstand his son's Celestial powers and attacks and crashing through rock at bullet-like speed. He was also able to stand outside of his ship in the vacuum of space unfazed.

- Molecular Manipulation:Ego is able to manipulate matter to a molecular level thanks to his Celestial powers. While giving Star-Lord, Drax and Gamora a tour of his planet, he stated that it took him millions of years to master this ability.

- Planetary Form: Ego was able to use his molecular manipulation to create a shell around himself, which after millions of years, he later evolved into a planet. He can manipulate the planet on a molecular level. His brain is stored in the center of his planet's core, while his energy form could traverse the planet and use matter it manipulated to make itself physically manifest. While directly possessing the planet, he could more seamlessly manipulate and reshape its structure, such as to cause the ground to trap members of the Guardians of the Galaxy, no matter where they were.

- Energy Manipulation: Ego essentially descibes his powers as "light". In particular, this is a blue, fiery light that he could shape and transform into physical constructs. He once projected radiance beams from his fingers that are able to unlock handcuffs. He even taught his son, Peter Quill, how to manipulate light.

- Biological Manipulation: Ego has also shown to be able to create and manipulate biological matter, including his own living avatars, which he creates to experience what it is like to be human.

- Health Manipulation: Ego created a tumor inside Meredith Quill's brain in order to kill her.

- Avatar Creation: In order to interact with the intelligent lifeforms that populates the universe, Ego created for himself an humanoid avatar who reflected his idea of a biological humanoid being. His avatar is an extension of his own consciousness and is provided with a digestive system, pain receptors and a reproductive system, as Ego explained to Drax that he "does indeed have a penis". However, it requires periodic returns to his main body to regenerate in the light of his planet to continue functioning.

*****Below is the list of power tiers to choose from. Please select a power tier for each character doing battle (the characters below in Red are not in any particular order). Be aware both characters can share the same power tier*****

The character's current statuses below are as follows

BLUE CHARACTERS = OFFICIAL FINAL PLACEMENT FOR CHARACTERS
GREEN CHARACTERS = OFFICIAL TRANSITIONAL PLACMENT FOR CHARACTERS FIGHTING UP THE TIER LIST
ORANGE CHARACTERS = OFFICIAL TRANSITIONAL PLACMENT FOR CHARACTERS FIGHTING DOWN THE TIER LIST
RED CHARACTERS = UNOFFICIAL SPECULATIVE PLACEMENT FOR CHARACTERS

*****NOTE: Characters that are OFFICIAL will always be Placed above characters that are UNOFFICIAL.*****

Cosmic Tier (cosmic/interdimension level power/presence on a planetary scale, at the minimum)
Dormammu
Eson The Searcher with Infinity Stone
Surtur Prime
Ego The Living Planet
Odin
Doctor Strange (w/ Time Gem)
Thanos (w/ Filled Infinity Gauntlet)

Transcendent Tier (City to planetary level power & Cosmic/interdimensional level influence on a local scale?)
Thanos w/ the Power Stone
Hela
Ronan with the Power Stone
Kurse
Fenris
Thor
Ultron Prime (Vibranium)

Powerhouse Tier (Beyond top tier, power/interdimensional power on a block to city Level)
Vision
Hulk
Doctor Strange
Ghost Rider
Ebony Maw
Scarlet Witch
Hulkbuster Iron Man
Abomination
Cull Obsidian
Pre-Eternal Flame Surtur
Malekith (W/ reality gem)
Ancient One
The Destroyer Armor
Giant Man
Kaecilius

Top Tier (Street to block level?)
Valkyrie
Iron Man
Aldrich Killian
Drax the Destroyer
Ronan
Loki
Iron Monger
Whiplash
War Machine
Quake
Malekith
Heimdall
Sif
Hogun
Fandral
Volstagg
Korath The Pursuer
Groot
Killgrave
Yondu
Lash
Hive
Frigga
Pepper Potts with Extremis
Mantis
Skurge
Korg
Baron Mordo
Master Wong
Corvus Glaive

Superhuman Tier (Street Level)
Black Panther
Captain America
Starlord
Gamora
Spiderman
Winter Soldier
Vulture
Red Skull
Crossbones
Falcon
Quicksilver
Iron Fist
Luke Cage
Jessica Jones
Eric Savin (Extremis Soldier)
Ellen Brandt (Extremis Soldier)
Emil Blonsky (Super Soldier)
Madame Gao
Mr. Hyde
Slingshot
Aida
Raina
Deathlok
The Patriot
Carl Creed the Absorbing Man
Lorelei
Nebula
Miek
Ant Man
Yellow Jacket
Proxima Midnight
Erik Killmonger
Ulysses Klaue

Street Tier (non super human, agent level)
Daredevil
Black Widow
Rocket Racoon
Hawkeye
Elektra
Punisher
Coleen Wing
Batroc the Leaper
Shocker
Kingpin
Nobu
Diamondback
Bakuto
Peggy Carter
Sharon Carter Agent 13
Dum Dum Dugan
Mocking Bird
Maria Hill
Misty Knight
The Punisher
Nick Fury
Phil Coulson
Zemo
Jig Saw
M'Baku
Okoye
Shuri

Last edited:
Not sure that Ego could overwhlem Surtur and pretty sure that if Surtur got to Ego's core it would be game over.

So I'll go with Surtur.

If they are fighting on Ego, then I can see Ego winning.

If this fight is on Ego, he will win. Surtur can destroy him, but he would be trying to kill a planet that can fight back and remake itself entirely. I see Ego winning.

If it is just the Kurt Russell half inch man on another planet, Surtur wins.

I got to go for Surtur even if they are fighting on Ego.

The guardian's managed to destroy him and Surtur far surpasses them in terms of power I would think.

I got to go for Surtur even if they are fighting on Ego.

The guardian's managed to destroy him and Surtur far surpasses them in terms of power I would think.

They only beat him because Starlord could tap into Ego's power (being his son, he was powered by the same source). Without that, they lose. Badly. Surtur has no such advantage, and would also be fighting alone (the Guardians are a team and require shifting attention).

Also, Ego could have killed the Guardians basically whenever he wanted, but he was using them to keep Quill honest. Ego has no loyalty to Surtur. He will go for the kill from minute 1.

They only beat him because Starlord could tap into Ego's power (being his son, he was powered by the same source). Without that, they lose. Badly. Surtur has no such advantage, and would also be fighting alone (the Guardians are a team and require shifting attention).

Agreed! I don't think people realize this was on Ego. No way should Ego be getting beat this badly.

I agree. I think peoples logic is Ego is a Planet and Surtur is a Planet Buster, so Ego loses, but I think there is a lot more to consider then that. Ego is alot larger than Asgard for 1, there is no Evidence that Surtur would be able to destroy a planet the size of Ego, and that does not even consider that Ego would be fighting back, where as other Planets would not. Also, Ego is able to create things out of Nothing, where as Surtur is only able to Destroy things that already exist. The Power to create and Manipulate Matter I have always felt shows a higher level of power than one that can only destroy. I mean Surtur is essentially a Giant Flame Demon. Theoretically, Ego could just build a structure around Surtur that was Air tight and Surtur's flame would be snuffed out. Although, this is comics and the words Eternal Flame probably means it would not apply. But All the same I see a character that can Create and Manipulate Matter as overpowering a character that can only destroy everytime.

Surfer

He literally could just do what he was doing to Nebula and Gamora with the plateaus and strand Surtur into space. Fight over!

I think Ego wins this easily. His power level and abilities are just far beyond Surtur's.

Spider-Man said:

They also had a telepath that could neutralize him, even if only temporarily. Surtur has no such ability.

Surtur is a fighter. Ego couldn't handle the Guardians of the Galaxy. I believe Surtur could take the Guardians handily (Groot, Rocket, Gamora, Human Quill, Yondu, Mantis and probably Drax all die from Surtur's first sword swing).

Ego loses this, but it'll be a spectacle.

Surtur crushing the GOTG doesn't say much. The GOTG's physiology, skillsets, and Quill's personal relationship to him made them a particularly poor matchup for Ego. It was a unique circumstance that wouldn't exist in a Surtur/Ego fight.

Surtur crushing the GOTG doesn't say much. The GOTG's physiology, skillsets, and Quill's personal relationship to him made them a particularly poor matchup for Ego. It was a unique circumstance that wouldn't exist in a Surtur/Ego fight.

Also, Guardians were multiple target. Surtur is only one target having Ego's undivided attention. Trust me, this fight is not as bad as Surtur winning as people have it.

Eh, still going for Surtur. He completely obliterated Asgard by driving his gigantic sword through the ground. I imagine said gigantic sword is strong enough to break through Ego's inner core (the fire alone would probably go a good way to melting it), and once he skewer's Ego's fragile brain centre, Ego's a goner.

But Asgard wasn't actively fighting back. Have you ever tried fighting the ocean? Or the earth? Trees? Etc? It won't be as easy as Surtur plunges his sword. THE ENTIRE WORLD WILL BE FIGHTING BACK!

YES this is the fight I wanted!

For me, the GOTG only knew how to kill Ego because Mantis told them about his core. Surtur wouldn’t know that in formation, and I think Surtur would struggle to get to the core. The Guardians got there in a small ship, Surtur is much bigger and would have to contend with the Planet itself fighting back.

For me Ego takes this.

if the flame is eternal

Everyone here seems to agree Surtur has the firepower to take Ego out if he gets to his core. It's a fair point that unlike Asgard Ego will be fighting back and trying to stop Surtur but the blast that destroyed the Sovereign ships won't be enough, his matter manipulation wasn't even killing the guardians and Celestial Starlord was able to knock him around so I don't think he can stop Surtur.

Ego I don't think was trying hard to kill them. They were flees. Why exert more enrgy than needed on flees? Starlord was unique and tapped into his power source. He could fight back. Surtur will be seen as a threat, not a flee. So he will be more active in squashing him.

Ego I don't think was trying hard to kill them. They were flees. Why exert more enrgy than needed on flees? Starlord was unique and tapped into his power source. He could fight back. Surtur will be seen as a threat, not a flee. So he will be more active in squashing him.

There's a good chance we never saw Ego's upper limit but feats wise I think Surtur has him beat. Far and away his best feat was almost replicating himself on other planets but he needed decades of preparation and his son as a battery for that so I don't count it.

Other than that his avatar wiped out the Sovereign fleet of ships, his matter manipulation restrained Drax, Gamora, Nebula and Yondu's ship (but didn't kill them for some reason) and Ego/Celestial Starlord were smashing each other through boulders without doing much damage. As for durability, his avatar could handle the vacuum of space and took a lot of blunt force hits but it was destroyed by Star Lord's guns and then again by Yondu's ship crashing into him. The planet's obviously way more durable than the avatars but his core is still a big video game style weak spot.

I don't think any of that puts him above Surtur casually levelling a city, tanking being impaled with skyscraper sized spikes, taking out Hela in one shot and then destroying the planet.

Last edited:

This :up:

Is there a battle this week?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"