MCU Power Tiers

Discussion in 'Marvel Films' started by Surfer, Oct 14, 2017.

1. Surfer

Surfer Sentinel of the Spaceways

Official MCU Power Tiers - List in Progress.

BLUE CHARACTERS = OFFICIAL FINAL PLACEMENT FOR CHARACTERS
    GREEN CHARACTERS = OFFICIAL TRANSITIONAL PLACMENT FOR CHARACTERS FIGHTING UP THE TIER LIST
    ORANGE CHARACTERS = OFFICIAL TRANSITIONAL PLACMENT FOR CHARACTERS FIGHTING DOWN THE TIER LIST
    RED CHARACTERS = UNOFFICIAL SPECULATIVE PLACEMENT FOR CHARACTERS

We took jaqua99's list as a starting point and along with input from BigThor, jaqua99 and myself (Surfer) we have added some characters to the Unofficial Speculative list in Red making it a little more comprehensive. We will be adding more characters to the Unofficial Speculative list in Red as we think of them or new ones appear. Characters in Blue have earned their Official Final Placement and ranking on the list through Vs. battles on the hype forum, and their ranking will always be accurate in relationship to other characters in Blue. Characters in Green and Orange have earned a Official Transitional Placement through Vs. battles on the forum, with characters in Green fighting up the tier list and characters in Orange fighting down the tier list. These characters are still required to have additional fights in the direction of travel, before we can determine their Final Placement in Blue. Characters in Red are not in any specific order within the Power Tiers and they will always be placed below characters in Blue, Green and Orange. These Red characters will remain this color until selected for battle and then they will turn either Blue, Green or Orange depending on the outcome of the battle. Be aware, all Green and Orange characters are always working towards and will eventually become Blue. If no fans vote for power tiers then it will be up to Jaqua99, BigThor and myself (Surfer) to place the characters within the tiers using a 2/3 majority vote. This list will be updated weekly with more and more characters gaining Official Placement as more and more battles are fought. Also feel free to speculate by adding your own tier list to the thread.

Cosmic Tier (cosmic/interdimension level power/presence on a planetary scale, at the minimum)
    Thanos (w/ Filled Infinity Gauntlet)
    Dormammu
    Eson The Searcher with Infinity Stone
    Surtur Prime
    Ego The Living Planet

Odin
    Doctor Strange (w/ Time Gem)

Transcendent Tier (City to planetary level power & Cosmic/interdimensional level influence on a local scale?)
    Thanos w/ the Power Stone
    Hela

Ronan with the Power Stone
    Kurse
    Fenris
    Thor
    Ultron Prime (Vibranium)

Powerhouse Tier (Beyond top tier, power/interdimensional power on a block to city Level)
    Vision
    Hulk

Doctor Strange
    Ghost Rider
    Ebony Maw
    Scarlet Witch

Hulkbuster Iron Man
    The Destroyer Armor
    Abomination
    Cull Obsidian

Pre-Eternal Flame Surtur
    Malekith (W/ reality gem)
    Ancient One
    Giant Man
    Kaecilius

Top Tier (Street to block level?)
    Ronan
    Valkyrie

Iron Man
    Hogun
    Aldrich Killian
    Loki
    Drax the Destroyer
    Heimdall
    War Machine

Iron Monger
    Whiplash
    Quake
    Malekith
    Sif
    Fandral
    Volstagg
    Korath The Pursuer
    Groot
    Killgrave
    Yondu
    Lash
    Hive
    Frigga
    Pepper Potts with Extremis
    Mantis
    Skurge
    Korg
    Baron Mordo
    Master Wong
    Corvus Glaive

Superhuman Tier (Street Level)
    Black Panther
    Captain America

Starlord
    Vulture
    Falcon
    Gamora
    Winter Soldier
    Red Skull

Spiderman
    Crossbones
    Quicksilver
    Iron Fist
    Luke Cage
    Jessica Jones
    Eric Savin (Extremis Soldier)
    Ellen Brandt (Extremis Soldier)
    Emil Blonsky (Super Soldier)
    Madame Gao
    Mr. Hyde
    Slingshot
    Aida
    Raina
    Deathlok
    The Patriot
    Carl Creed the Absorbing Man
    Lorelei
    Nebula
    Miek
    Ant Man
    Yellow Jacket
    Proxima Midnight
    Erik Killmonger
    Ulysses Klaue

Street Tier (non super human, agent level)
    Daredevil
    Elektra
    Black Widow
    Okoye
    Rocket Racoon
    Hawkeye

Punisher
    Coleen Wing
    Batroc the Leaper
    Shocker
    Kingpin
    Nobu
    Diamondback
    Bakuto
    Peggy Carter
    Sharon Carter Agent 13
    Dum Dum Dugan
    Mocking Bird
    Maria Hill
    Misty Knight
    The Punisher
    Nick Fury
    Phil Coulson
    Zemo
    Jig Saw
    M'Baku
    Shuri

Surfer

Last edited: Sep 23, 2018 at 6:57 PM
  2. Playco Armboy

Playco Armboy Well-Known Member

From the spoilers in the Thor: Ragnarok section, Surtur sounds way more powerful than Ego, who didn't offer much by way of offensive strength. He was just a parasite. A big one, yes, but the Guardians were holding just fine against him.

3. Flubberghasted

Just out of curiosity, why are you giving so much power to Dr. Strange? Grouping him with Hela is quite a compliment. I know he's got a great amount of power with regard to magic, but doesn't his being human make him a great deal more vulnerable to attack than some of these other characters?

4. Cantis1

Cantis1 Well-Known Member

I don't have a whole lot of knowledge of the comic book characters but going by the movies, I would say Strange is human level powerhouse but I don't think I would put him above Hulk and Thor. And doesn't he need props to help him use his powers? Hulk and Thor's powers are inherently within them. Like Cap.

I'd put Dormammu top. Not sure where Thanos would be since we haven't seen him much. I'd probably put Ego above Hela but not sure about her since I haven't seen her in action yet. Same with Sukur (sp).

In terms of heroes, I'd say:

Hulk
    Thor

Scarlet Witch

Strange
    Cap

Spider Man

Black Panther

Iron Man

Black Widow
    Hawkeye
    Falcon
    War Machine
    Ant Man

Those are grouped in power tiers but within the tiers, no specific order.

5. Surfer

Well there are many that agree with you, but I feel Ego's ability to create living matter that is all controlled by himself, including a high functioning Avatar that can go out and explore space planting his seed to spread like a virus across the Universe when he is ready is an amazing display of power. I mean everything on the planet is a living extension of himself that he made with no physical form himself, just a brain. Surtur is Super strong no doubt but he is limited to physical strength and the power of his flame to destroy. Also, while there is no proof of this there are a few people including myself that feel like Ego is the Brain that came from the severed head of the Celestial known as Knowhere. And I would say the Celestials like Eson are considerably stronger then Surtur. Now I realize that Ego does not have arms and legs to fight like many Marvel characters, but if what I am saying is true then it goes to show the power level of the family of characters he belongs to, which I think speaks to his power.

Surfer

6. Surfer

I based it on the little I heard from Spoilers of Thor Ragnarok, so I gave him a boost on the tier list. So, it is a little bit of Speculation. In the comics he is Super Powerful Character though.

Surfer

7. jaqua99

jaqua99 ....I need a horse!

I'd say more like this (perhaps we could create tier labels)

Cosmic Tier (cosmic/interdimension level power/presence on a planetary scale, at the minimum)
    Dormammu
    Surtur
    Odin
    Doctor Strange (with time gem..reality hack)

Transcendent Tier (City to planetary level power & Cosmic/interdimensional level influence on a local scale?)
    Ego
    Odin(?)
    Eson The Searcher
    Ronan (w/power gem)
    Thanos (I'm guessing will fall here)
    Hela
    Kurse (Another brick, but his strength and durability and utter domination places him above the power house tier)
    Ultron Prime (his vibranium body made this an implication)

Powerhouse Tier (Beyond top tier, power/interdimensional power on a block to city Level)
    Thor
    Doctor Strange
    Malekith (With reality gem)
    Ancient One
    Vision
    Hulk (stamina and strength make up for lack in versatility)
    Hulkbuster Iron man

Top Tier (Street to block level?)
    Ronan
    Loki (w/ or w/out scepter)
    Iron Man
    Scarlet Witch (tough to place)
    Quake
    Malekith

Superhuman Tier (Street Level)
    Spiderman
    Captain America
    Black Panther
    Winter Soldier
    Ant Man
    Crossbones
    Falcon
    Quicksilver
    Iron Fist
    Luke Cage
    Jessica Jones

Street Tier (non super human, agent level)
    Daredevil
    Black Widow
    Hawkeye

Last edited: Oct 15, 2017
  8. jaqua99

Woah

9. Zant

Zant Well-Known Member

Captain Marvel is going to be petty high up the list among heroes

10. jaqua99

She will fall into my "power house" tier, I would think

11. Surfer

Great list Jaqua! I was almost thinking it would be cool to have a thread for Vs. battles once a week where people can vote on who they think would win in a MCU battle and use the winner of the poll to advance against another character around the same area of power until they get defeated in the polls. This would be a way to create a majority consensus on where these characters truly land in terms of power levels. So it would be like Dormammu vs. Surtur and let's say Dormammu wins, then the next battle would be Dormammu Vs. Odin and let's say Odin wins for the sake of argument then the tier list would start looking something like this.

Odin
    Dormammu
    Surtur

So, something along those lines and it would just keep going until things were established for all the characters. I mean what I showed is a little bit of an over simplification, but what do others think.

Surfer

12. jaqua99

Sounds fun as hell !!

13. Zant

Zant Well-Known Member

Not with the way Feige is hyping her up. I think they will go full cosmic with her.

14. Murdock103

Murdock103 Well-Known Member

I might be misremembering The Dark World, but Malekith seems very high.
    What power feats did he do that was particularly impressive?

I mean, he was able to take possession and control of an Infinity Stone I guess, but the Aether was in Jane Foster for a good while without making her explode immediately, so it’s probably not as difficult to wield as say, the Power Stone from GOTG.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2017
  15. Playco Armboy

Playco Armboy Well-Known Member

Spider-Man is so weird to place. On one hand, he's clowned multiple times in quick succession by a Cap who looks as if he's barely trying. On the other hand, he makes quick work of both Bucky and Falcon.

Bucky is superior to shieldless Cap, and a small margin behind shielded Cap. The idea that he falls so short in comparison to Cap when it comes to engaging Peter is a tad off.

16. jaqua99

Hyperbole.

She will need feats. I think she'll end up on the powerhouse tier

17. Surfer

Created the first MCU battle between Dormammu and Eson the Searcher ( Celestial). I don't want to use Odin, Surtur or Dr. Strange yet, since their appearance in Thor Ragnarok might effect peoples decision on their power levels. After a week I will start another battle and slowly build a tier list that everyone will have had a chance to provide input and effect the outcome. I hope this will be fun, but also create an accurate tier structure. Spread the word. Link to the battle below.

http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=535035

Surfer

18. Finarfiniel

Finarfiniel Merciless Queen of the Dread Dimension Death

I'm going to wait to reply to this thread properly until I've seen Ragnarok because we have some new characters in play there that aren't really fair to rank until I've seen it for myself. I'd definitely put Ego below Surtur, Odin and Hela from what I've read though. Yes, Ego is indeed powerful and he came very close to his goal of covering the entire universe with himself, but let's be real it took him millions of years to get to that point, he had to mate with countless different species to produce an heir that was powerful enough to assist him. Also, his actual core self is vulnerable (can be destroyed by one bomb alone) and isn't able to travel around on it's own. He can only travel by creating a 'mortal' extension of himself that withers and perishes if it is away from his core for too long.

From what I've read, Surtur, Odin and Hela would all be capable of conquering the universe through brute strength and power alone in a much quicker time scale than Ego. Yeah, there are scales of power there, Hela definitely seems to be less powerful than Surtur and Odin in his prime, but I'd definitely argue that she is more powerful than Ego.

Anway, I'll post my full ranking in 9 days (!!) when I've seen Ragnarok. :woot:

19. Surfer

Well that's why on the more official collaborative tier list I will work on for this thread I avoided using any characters like Surtur, Odin, Dr. Strange, Hela, Thor and Hulk in the first battles. I will probably not use any of them in battles that will effect their tier ratings until the end of November, so people have ample time to see Ragnarok even multiple times before casting their thoughts on who would win.

Surfer

20. AVEITWITHJAMON

AVEITWITHJAMON Cloud kicks ass

For people saying Ego wasn't that powerful, his avatar alone destroyed a Soveriegn fleet in one blow. He was pretty damn powerful.

21. Finarfiniel

Finarfiniel Merciless Queen of the Dread Dimension Death

I don't think anyone in here has said that he isn't very powerful, he's clearly one of the most powerful characters in the MCU. I'm arguing that he's less powerful than Surtur, Odin and Hela from what I've read so far. I'll re-judge that position once I've seen Ragnarok. And he's clearly less powerful than Dormammu who is undoubtedly the most powerful character we've seen yet.

22. AVEITWITHJAMON

AVEITWITHJAMON Cloud kicks ass

One poster said the Guardians didn't have trouble dealing with him, they certainly did. That's what I was referring to. As it needed the Celestial powered Quill to help defeat him.

I would agree Dormammu has been the most powerful so far though. Thanos could over take him next year though.

23. jaqua99

Ego is so tough to guage. He is a space Brain. We gotta remember that, a floating OP space brain that "built" a planet around himself. It's not a real planet, it's created matter.

So Ego can create matter locally on a planetary scale, but he isn't more than that..which is why I would place him at the top of my transcendent tier

24. jaqua99

Hey Surfer. I am going to requote my initial post that I made, maybe you can paste it in your OP or something.

I really like the tier format I created, put some thought into it, so if everyone agrees, I think we should use the tiers that I have bolded.. suggestions of course. But for organization/categorization's sake, I think this is it (categories..placement is up for discussion)

25. Surfer

Agreed! and again I think you did an amazing job of placement of the characters in the tiers as well. The whole thing that makes it so difficult though is that it can be very subjective. Thats why I hope to use not my opinion, not your opinion or someone elses opinion, but a group majority opinion of all fans that want to participate. I am hoping this will give these character locations on the tier list some Merritt and give it a sense of being as factual as it can be.

Surfer