MCU: The Marvel Cinematic Universe Official Discussion - Part 5

I am doing it in that order just without the one shots.

Anyway I started today with TFA. A lot of it still holds up really well. But unfortunately there are some green screen moments which looked bad in 2011, but look even worse now.

The first hour though is great, and adds a lot of heart to the movie and the character. And the ending is still pretty emotional and darker for an MCU movie. Watching IM tonight.

I think they should do a One Shot for Peter's Origin. And Show Uncle Ben's Death. But that's just me.

Anyways. After Phase 3 without access to the F4 or XMen. Where should MCU go next? Personally I say focus on the new heroes in Phase 4. And explore the past of old heroes.
Guardians 3(Go Off With A Bang Just Incase The Audience Doesn't Eat It Up Anymore At This Point)

[Personal Point I Believe Infinity Wars Part 1 should've been Avengers: Infinity Gauntlet(with Guardians popping up near the end to help) and Part 2 should've been a sequel called
Guardians: Infinity War and featured a team up between Avengers and Guardians]

Simultaneously closing off both series in a Trilogy in the event the MCU runs out of steam Phase 4. But they won't I'm just chatting. As for characters past to be explored.

Hawkeye and Black Widow Prequel
Nick Fury Prequel(honestly recast him just for this)

Hulk also deserves another solo. And I think it would be fun concept to explore a Team Up film with Vision and Wanda perhaps with Jocasta as the villain.....come to think of it, Marvel can't run out of steam. Too many options too explore. Same for DC honestly.

Feige just said at CinemaCon what I've been saying all along. As soon as any rights to any character(s) reverts back to Marvel, they suddenly appear on the MCU world map/radar as if they've technically been there all along. It's just about when we as the audience meet them. We may never for some, but they are out there. Maybe it's just an optimistic outlook or the standard way for how these rights issues work in-universe, but still.

I'd get started now, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. is back next month and the current MCU chronology is looking fairly extensive...

"1940s"
CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE FIRST AVENGER (2011)
Agent Carter S01E01-08 (2014-15)
Agent Carter S02E01-10 (2016)
Marvel One-Shots: “Agent Carter”
------------------------------------------
"PHASE ONE"
IRON MAN (2008)
IRON MAN 2 (2010)
Marvel One-Shots: “A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To Thor's Hammer”
THOR (2011)
THE INCREDIBLE HULK (2008)
Marvel One-Shots: “The Consultant”
AVENGERS: ASSEMBLE (2012)
Marvel One-Shots: “Item 47”
"PHASE TWO"
IRON MAN 3 (2013)
Marvel One-Shots: “All Hail The King”
Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D. S01E01-07 (2013)
THOR: THE DARK WORLD (2013)
Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D. S01E08-15 (2013-14)
Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D. S01E16 (2014)
CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE WINTER SOLDIER (2014)
Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D. S01E17-22 (2014)
GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY (2014)
Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D. S02E01-05 (2014)
Daredevil S01E01-13 (2015)
Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D. S02E06-10 (2014)
Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D. S02E11-13 (2015)
Jessica Jones S01E01-06 (2015)
Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D. S02E14-15 (2015)
Jessica Jones S01E07-13 (2015)
Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D. S02E16-19 (2015)
AVENGERS: AGE OF ULTRON (2015)
Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D. S02E20-22 (2015)
"PHASE THREE"
ANT-MAN (2015)
Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D. S03E01-07 (2015)
Daredevil S02E01-13 (2016)
Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D. S03E08-10 (2015)
Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D. S03E11-18 (2016)
CAPTAIN AMERICA: CIVIL WAR (2016)
Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D. S03E19-22 (2016)
Luke Cage S01E01-13
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.: Slingshot (webseries)
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. S04E01-04
DOCTOR STRANGE
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. S04E05-15
IRON FIST S01E01-13

Corrections/amendments to the above much appreciated :)

So, I think Luke Cage and Iron Fist are set before Civil War. Might not be a popular opinion, but until I know for certain otherwise, it would seem like the accords would play a role in those series (if only a minor one).

Despite the prelude comics and such, I think TIH takes place prior to most of Phase 1. It seems to fit better in the 2000-2002 range in my head. With Banner on the lamb for about a decade after the events in that movie.

I can't speak for AoS as I haven't seen much after S2. But while Doctor Strange may begin immediately after Civil War, logic would dictate the movie spans the course of 2-3 years (into the future of the MCU). Strange's recovery and subsequent procedures would be a minimum of 6 months, his journey to Kamar Taj and training at least 12-18 months. "Years of study and practice" is mentioned at one point in the film. If I had to guess, his confrontation with Dormammu takes place in 2018.

Also, (and we're gonna start to get a little weird here) I postulate GotG 1 and GotG 2 take place a couple months apart (already confirmed) in roughly the same time frame as Doctor Strange and Thor: Ragnarok. (2017-2018).

Last edited:
So, I think Luke Cage and Iron Fist are set before Civil War. Might not be a popular opinion, but until I know for certain otherwise, it would seem like the accords would play a role in those series (if only a minor one).

Despite the prelude comics and such, I think TIH takes place prior to most of Phase 1. It seems to fit better in the 2000-2002 range in my head. With Banner on the lamb for about a decade after the events in that movie.

I can't speak for AoS as I haven't seen much after S2. But while Doctor Strange may begin immediately after Civil War, logic would dictate the movie spans the course of 2-3 years (into the future of the MCU). Strange's recovery and subsequent procedures would be a minimum of 6 months, his journey to Kamar Taj and training at least 12-18 months. "Years of study and practice" is mentioned at one point in the film. If I had to guess, his confrontation with Dormammu takes place in 2018.

Also, (and we're gonna start to get a little weird here) I postulate GotG 1 and GotG 2 take place a couple months apart (already confirmed) in roughly the same time frame as Doctor Strange and Thor: Ragnarok. (2017-2018).
You're correct that Luke Cage is pre-Civil War (the end of LC is supposed to be (roughly) around the December prior to the events of Civil War). Iron Fist probably takes place not too long after it (since Claire is exchanging letters with LC (who's writing from prison) means the end of LC has already happened)

You're welcome to think that about TIH, but official canon is that it takes place at the same time/overlaps with the events of Iron Man 2 and Thor (which in turn take place 1 year before the events of Avengers which takes place in spring-summer 2012/pretty much takes place when the movie came out)

As for Doctor Strange. The director (so "word of god") has confirmed that it takes place during 2016 and spans the course of about a year. I know some people have issue with that time frame, but - again - it comes from the director. Personally I don't have an issue with it since they told us that Strange is extremely good at learning (photographic memory/was able to get both his M.D. and Ph.D at the same time) combined with showing us that Strange found ways to accelerate his learning once at Kamar-Taj (using astral projection - which can cause real physical time to be a little more fluid (i.e. how his final conversation with TAO the lightning storm, the helicopter, were all moving extremely slowly - the moment was being dragged out) - to study while his body sleeps means he could cram hours worth of studying into minutes, days into hours, weeks into days, etc...) and also the fact that his training isn't complete by the end of the movie (Wong even says he still has much to learn, and he's not the Sorcerer Supreme yet). His confrontation with Dormammu happens late 2016 (or early 2017 at the latest)

For Guardians of the Galaxy, you're forgetting that the movie itself tells us the year it takes place. Peter is abducted in 1988... it then (after the Marvel logo) says right there on screen "26 years later". 1988 + 26 years = 2014. This jives with Gunn saying before the movie came out that it would take place when the movie came out (late summer/early fall 2014). So GotG vol. 2 (given what Gunn has told us) then takes place late 2014 to early 2015 or so.

Last edited:
Still, gotta say, if there's no explicit evidence (within the films) otherwise, Doctor Strange had to take longer than a year.

Ah you're right about Guardians... well that's gonna be a sorta strange timelapse when they appear in Infinity War. What were they doing from 2015-2018?

Still, gotta say, if there's no explicit evidence (within the films) otherwise, Doctor Strange had to take longer than a year.

Ah you're right about Guardians... well that's gonna be a sorta strange timelapse when they appear in Infinity War. What were they doing from 2015-2018?
well the tree in Kamar Taj goes from spring to winter...so there's that

well the tree in Kamar Taj goes from spring to winter...so there's that

So based on that, and assuming his car crash is summer 2016 (Rhodey's paralysis is mentioned. It's raining in NY and not snowing) he recovers over the course of the next 4-6 months and heads to Kamar Taj in early 2017, he then trains over the next 10-12 months (most of 2017). Facing off against Kaecilius/Dormammu in Spring 2018 (again raining in NY in his last moments with TAO). And sitting down with Thor shortly thereafter.

And that's like... minimum. Again this is just my own beliefs.

Edit: it could've been snowing in the TAO's last moments. Not easy to tell for sure.

Last edited:
So based on that, and assuming his car crash is summer 2016 (Rhodey's paralysis is mentioned. It's raining in NY and not snowing) he recovers over the course of the next 4-6 months and heads to Kamar Taj in early 2017, he then trains over the next 10-12 months (most of 2017). Facing off against Kaecilius/Dormammu in Spring 2018 (again raining in NY in his last moments with TAO). And sitting down with Thor shortly thereafter.

They already confirmed that wasn't Rhodey.

LOL why does everyone want to ruin the intricacies of this movie for me? WHO confirmed it wasn't Rhodey? And why? What purpose does that serve? It was a tiny, nigh-irrelevant nod to the greater universe, but one that I personally enjoyed. Confirming it's not him does... what exactly?

can we please stop that nonsense? It's not Rhodey. Wrong age, wrong branch of the military. A lot of confusion could be avoided if we would just stop jumping to conclusions

LOL why does everyone want to ruin the intricacies of this movie for me? WHO confirmed it wasn't Rhodey? And why? What purpose does that serve? It was a tiny, nigh-irrelevant nod to the greater universe, but one that I personally enjoyed. Confirming it's not him does... what exactly?

I believe it was the director himself who confirmed it. Why it wasn't Rhodes, I think it was to hint at the world of the MCU. Iron Man 2 showed people all over the world trying to copy the iron man armor, in fact the prevailing theory is that it's the Hammer test pilot. It expands the scope of the world bulding outside of the avengers.

The f***ing MOVIE confirmed it wasn't Rhodey.Say it with me: WRONG. AGE. WRONG. BRANCH. OF. THE. MILITARY.
The description we get in the movie is everyone else with a suit BUT Rhodey.

What makes the MCU work is the structured nature and obvious plan from the get go. Now, when the rights of certain characters were regained by Marvel and certain characters were found to be more successful than anticipated, they added more sequels, but the end result remains the same. My hope is Feige finds another captivating reason for these movies to be made instead of standalone films seen in the DCEU which seems all over the place with no overarching plot. However, I would like more standalone movies from the MCU that don't need to setup future events or characters, but self-contained stories with real consequences.

Really enjoyed reading this thread but don't sweat the small stuff, especially the timeline!

I think it's safe to assume that each film or series ends at roughly the time it is released and they've done a really good job of making no mistakes with the timeline unless you ruin it for yourself by thinking too hard. They've also done a good job of keeping it vague...I would find it equally convincing if you told me there was just two years OR eight years between Iron Man and Civil War.

I've been thinking it over the past couple days and I realize that, even if Disney has the FF rights, they are quickly running out of new characters that could carry their own film.

There are two big rules to follow.

1) The characters need to necessitate a big budget. If they are a little budget, their story can be better told on Netflix, which has been proven with the likes of Luke Cage and Daredevil.

2) They need to be kid-friendly. Moon Knight will never get a film set in the MCU.

Iron Man, Hulk, Captain America, Thor, Ant-Man, Doctor Strange, Black Panther and Captain Marvel all follow both of these rules. None of them could have had their characters realized as fully on a series budget, and all can be fun for the whole family.

By these standards, I can only see one new character left: Nova. If they can get the FF back, then you also have Silver Surfer as an option for one or two films. The Fantastic Four themselves could of course replace the Guardians films in this scenario.

She-Hulk is a neat idea but she probably would work better as a series. She's always been a little risque and she probably doesn't need a big budget. Characters like Ghost Rider and Blade could potentially use a bigger budget, but they are too violent, so to Netflix they go.

Am I missing anyone?

I've been thinking it over the past couple days and I realize that, even if Disney has the FF rights, they are quickly running out of new characters that could carry their own film.

1) The characters need to necessitate a big budget. If they are a little budget, their story can be better told on Netflix, which has been proven with the likes of Luke Cage and Daredevil.

2) They need to be kid-friendly. Moon Knight will never get a film set in the MCU.

Iron Man, Hulk, Captain America, Thor, Ant-Man, Doctor Strange, Black Panther and Captain Marvel all follow both of these rules. None of them could have had their characters realized as fully on a series budget, and all can be fun for the whole family.

By these standards, I can only see one new character left: Nova. If they can get the FF back, then you also have Silver Surfer as an option for one or two films. The Fantastic Four themselves could of course replace the Guardians films in this scenario.

She-Hulk is a neat idea but she probably would work better as a series. She's always been a little risque and she probably doesn't need a big budget. Characters like Ghost Rider and Blade could potentially use a bigger budget, but they are too violent, so to Netflix they go.

Am I missing anyone?

Mrs. Marvel?

The f***ing MOVIE confirmed it wasn't Rhodey.Say it with me: WRONG. AGE. WRONG. BRANCH. OF. THE. MILITARY.
The description we get in the movie is everyone else with a suit BUT Rhodey.

Are you off your meds or something? Chill tfo...

Am I missing anyone?

Eh, they've proven they can make succesfull films out of nobodies.

- "Amadeus & Herc"
- Black Knight
- Wonder Man
- Spectrum
- Namor (if they can indeed use him)
- Eternals
- Darkhawk
- Captain Britain
- Blue Marvel
- Ms. America
- Solo movies for members of teamup movies
- Legacy characters
- Upgrade characters from TV to film. (Cap doesn't need any more budget than Iron Fist or Ghost Rider, you can just do different things with either more time to tell the story or better effects).
- More obscure characters

''I've got a 35 year old Marine Colonel, crushed his lower spine in some kind of experimental armor.'' - so, yeah, I've always taken that as a clear reference to the Hammer test pilot suffering extreme trauma to the spine.

It was never Rhodey in my mind as not only [as has been pointed out] is he Air Force, but the ages are out and the WM machine armor surely cannot be considered as 'experimental' by the time Rhodey has his crash in CW.

Am I missing anyone?

-Power Pack (that's all I've got)
spinoffs/solos for the sidekicks and legacy characters.
They've pretty much covered the most prominent members of The Avengers. Per chance, there are probably other teams worth mining.

I could see Guardians becoming an evergreen franchise comparable to the Avengers, and Gunn is following a similar format with the sequel as Age of Ultron by adding three new characters to the original core team. Characters can be swapped out over time, with folks like Moondragon, Nikki, Starhawk, Charlie 27, Nova, Hyperion, Quasar, Star Fox, Martinex, Beta Ray Bill, Adam Warlock and/or Phyla Vell joining the squad as the original members move on. Characters that resonate with the audiences - Rocket and Groot! - can be spun off into solo features.

What makes the MCU work is the structured nature and obvious plan from the get go. Now, when the rights of certain characters were regained by Marvel and certain characters were found to be more successful than anticipated, they added more sequels, but the end result remains the same. My hope is Feige finds another captivating reason for these movies to be made instead of standalone films seen in the DCEU which seems all over the place with no overarching plot. However, I would like more standalone movies from the MCU that don't need to setup future events or characters, but self-contained stories with real consequences.

Unleashing the universe concept onto the GA that comic readers have been used to for decades has really worked well. It means films can also be turned into a loose equivalent of episodic TV show serials that the GA already love but with the productions standards of multi-million dollar Hollywood movies.

I could see Guardians becoming an evergreen franchise comparable to the Avengers, and Gunn is following a similar format with the sequel as Age of Ultron by adding three new characters to the original core team. Characters can be swapped out over time, with folks like Moondragon, Nikki, Starhawk, Charlie 27, Nova, Hyperion, Quasar, Star Fox, Martinex, Beta Ray Bill, Adam Warlock and/or Phyla Vell joining the squad as the original members move on. Characters that resonate with the audiences - Rocket and Groot! - can be spun off into solo features.

Yeah, there's a lot of fun cosmic characters you could put in. Would love to see more of the classic Guardians (3000), really want at least Adam and Moondragon at some point, but like you said other characters will easily fit as well. Pip the Troll, Beta Ray Bill, some version of Captain Universe, etc. Some of the lesser known Guardians such as Talon and Krugarr or the more recent Guardians 1000 have really neat designs, even if they might lack some story or character elements at the moment. Pick some more spare members of the Galactic Guardians, Star Masters, Infinity Watch, Guardians of Knowhere, Space Knights, Warbound, Halfworlders and some forgotten characters from their own comics (Monark Starstalker, Planet Terry, Man-Wolf, Seeker 3000, Orrgo, etc.) and you got yourself a franchise for many decades to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"