MCU Timeline+Confusions

As R already said, Vision only referred to Iron Man 1. In fact General Ross referred to The Avengers taking place in 2012, by saying "in the last 4 years you've been operating..." - people trying to correct the timeline will count that line as referring to the Age of Ultron ending team, but that's even more ridiculous (Cap's new team active for 4 years between AoU & Civil War? Seriously? Longer than the main team?).

Or even count Ross as referring to when the the main team got back together after TWS, but Falcon states that it's only been 2 years between TWS and Civil War.

I think the Russos/Markus & McFeely were trying to set the timeline in stone, and properly so if anything.

I cant see a good reason why the bolded cant be true.
And falcon never said 2 years he said a couple of years.So if we take the bolded into account then the timeline could be
2011-Ironman
2012-Avengers and Iron man 3
2015-Winter Soldier
2016-Age of Ultron
2019-Civilwar/Spiderman Homecoming
Homecoming wld still be wrong but not by much just 1 year.shld have said 7 years not 8 years from Avengers.Vision axcurately confirms that it is 8 years from Ironman.

PS im ignoring dates from tv shows cause marvel movies ignores tv shows as well

As pointed out as well, Iron Man 3 has some very clear dates in it. To me, the question is whether Spider-Man Homecoming is an error or a retcon. If it's a retcon, then those dates elsewhere were valid, they've just been retconned.

I wouldn't focus too much on background props, though. They're the most subject to error. Particularly because the Netflix shows likely take place a little earlier than when they debut (Luke Cage is almost certainly pre-Civil War).

As pointed out as well, Iron Man 3 has some very clear dates in it. To me, the question is whether Spider-Man Homecoming is an error or a retcon. If it's a retcon, then those dates elsewhere were valid, they've just been retconned.

I say it's an error, mostly on Sony's part. They caused a lot of confusion not only with the timeline for Spider-Man: Homecoming, but also with their announcement that Venom will be tied to future MCU Spider-Man films. Of course, someone will point out Vision's "8 years" comment from Civil War but for me, he could be referring to the moment Tony first emerged from the cave in his 1st Iron Man suit.

I'd consider that an announcement.

It's all very confusing, how could it be an error it's just so glaringly obvious that Avengers didn't come out 8 years ago

Like I believe initially the time line was Iron Man 1 was in 2010 and so I get why Civil War would say 8 years ago cos they were just going off when it was released.

But this be making no sense

Without any discussion of timelines, what should the viewing order of the movies be? I think it should be this:

Captain America: The First Avenger
Iron Man
Iron Man 2
Thor
Incredible Hulk (the Stark-Ross scene comes after Iron Man 2)
Avengers (The Battle of New York)
Iron Man 3 (aftermath)
Thor: Dark World (aftermath and Collector scene leads into GOTG)
GOTG
GOTG2
Captain America: Winter Soldier (twins scene leads into A:AOU)
Avengers: Age of Ultron
Ant-Man
Captain America: Civil War
Spider-Man: Homecoming
Doctor Strange (end scene sets up Thor:Ragnarok)
Thor: Ragnarok

Without any discussion of timelines, what should the viewing order of the movies be? I think it should be this:

Captain America: The First Avenger
Iron Man
Iron Man 2
Thor
Incredible Hulk (the Stark-Ross scene comes after Iron Man 2)
Avengers (The Battle of New York)
Iron Man 3 (aftermath)
Thor: Dark World (aftermath and Collector scene leads into GOTG)
GOTG
GOTG2
Captain America: Winter Soldier (twins scene leads into A:AOU)
Avengers: Age of Ultron
Ant-Man
Captain America: Civil War
Spider-Man: Homecoming
Doctor Strange (end scene sets up Thor:Ragnarok)
Thor: Ragnarok

Exactly what I had in mind.

Someone over at Reddit brought up that the junior novelization of Homecoming references the events of The Avengers happening five years ago. Because novelizations are based on scripts, possibly early versions in this case, that would imply that they were originally going for the 5 years. And that would mean that the change to 8 years was indeed intentional, making this a retcon instead of an error.

Someone over at Reddit brought up that the junior novelization of Homecoming references the events of The Avengers happening five years ago. Because novelizations are based on scripts, possibly early versions in this case, that would imply that they were originally going for the 5 years. And that would mean that the change to 8 years was indeed intentional, making this a retcon instead of an error.
I have been trying to tell people this is a retcon for weeks. I will post the updated timeline as soon as I can get it together.

looks more like the writer of the novelization looked at the calendar and realized how f***ing big they botched the timeline in that movie

looks more like the writer of the novelization looked at the calendar and realized how f***ing big they botched the timeline in that movie
That's not how novelizations are made.

The writers are given the script, concept art and other materials to write a book. Later in production, things can be changed and cause discrepancies between the book and the movie. There is the "EIGHT YEARS LATER" and two separate lines of dialogue in the film referring to a span of eight years. All three of these were most likely written in an early version of the script as five years (which makes sense as the film came out in 2017, five years after the Avengers hit theaters.)

The writers are given the script, concept art and other materials to write a book. Later in production, things can be changed and cause discrepancies between the book and the movie. There is the "EIGHT YEARS LATER" and two separate lines of dialogue in the film referring to a span of eight years. All three of these were most likely written in an early version of the script as five years (which makes sense as the film came out in 2017, five years after the Avengers hit theaters.)
look, it's simple, I'm too furious right now about the Victor von Doom movie to cope with bat**** crazy IM3 didn't happen, because the twist made my butt hurt conspiracy theories, so I'll just ignore this post ever happend, okay?

look, it's simple, I'm too furious right now about the Victor von Doom movie to cope with bat**** crazy IM3 didn't happen, because the twist made my butt hurt conspiracy theories, so I'll just ignore this post ever happend, okay?
Yeah the truth can be tough sometimes haha :)

Novelizations have taken license before on things they consider to be very minor. The novelization for The Force Awakens has Finn look at Ray like she's crazy when she says that she thought Luke Skywalker was a myth thinking "how backwater is Jaku that she doesn't know Luke Skywalker is a real person?" Now I can't say for certain, but that doesn't seem likely to have been in the script given the way the scene was filmed.

There's no sugarcoating it...This 8 year thing is a colossal f*** up. I just don't get it. Continuity is a pretty important aspect of the MCU and while it hasn't always been perfect, this is a Fox level continuity slip up. I hope someone can ask Feige about it and we get some much needed clarification.

Just that he came out as Iron Man 8 years ago. That would be the end of the movie not the beginning.
Yeah the end of the movie. So that means that happened in the same year as The Avengers.

Yeah the end of the movie. So that means that happened in the same year as The Avengers.

Not really because while Iron Man 1 did start in 2008, it took many months for Tony to build both the arc reactor and his 1st Iron suit, escape from Afghanistan, return to America, and build the red and yellow suit. Tony announcing himself as Iron Man would likely occurred in 2009 while the "6 months later" tag on IM2 puts that film, Thor, and the Incredible Hulk in 2010 based on the timestamp of the Stark Expo, the after credit scene of Agent Caulsen finding Thor's hammer in New Mexico, and news footage of Hulk's rampage in the IM2 ending.

Marvel's One Big Week novelization has Nick Fury saying it took 2 years for his team to find Captain America's frozen body which would place the bookend scenes of the First Avenger in 2011 while both Agents of SHIELD and Daredevil TV series puts the Avengers in 2012.

Last edited:
Not really because while Iron Man 1 did start in 2008, it took many months for Tony to build both the arc reactor and his 1st Iron suit, escape from Afghanistan, return to America, and build the red and yellow suit. Tony announcing himself as Iron Man would likely occurred in 2009 while the "6 months later" tag on IM2 puts that film, Thor, and the Incredible Hulk in 2010 based on the timestamp of the Stark Expo, the after credit scene of Agent Caulsen finding Thor's hammer in New Mexico, and news footage of Hulk's rampage in the IM2 ending.

Marvel's One Big Week novelization has Nick Fury saying it took 2 years for his team to find Captain America's frozen body which would place the bookend scenes of the First Avenger in 2011 while both Agents of SHIELD and Daredevil TV series puts the Avengers in 2012.
That doesn't make sense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"