MCU X-Men - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I definitely want Cyclops to have a cowl/helmet this time around
I personally prefer Cyclops without the cowl, but if Marvel gave him one I would totally get it. Some of these designs aren't bad.
Has anyone ever given a plausible or practical reason for Wolverine's mask's wings?
I'm not sold on the wings, despite being iconic.

Maybe to give him and animal like silhouette as he stalks his prey. I'm definitely down for the cowl wings though.

From https://www.jasonpastrana.com/work

wtrJJOX.png

I'd like to see some kind of amalgamation of #5 and #6.

I'm with you on that one. I like that it would have the wings along with the chops hanging out.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say it does, especially integrating with a universe that has come up with such incredible and slick explanations for comics costumes thus far, and dropped other big flappy masks, like Hawkeye's.

I mean... why do they exist in the first place? The reason we'd want it in the films is because it was in the comics, okay... but why was it in the comics at all? What is it supposed to evoke?

I suppose. I think he can just have it and it’d be fine. All of the X-Men wear costumes. That’s Logan’s. No other explanation needed IMO.

I personally prefer Cyclops without the cowl, but if Marvel gave him one I would totally get it. Some of these designs aren't bad.

I'm not sold on the wings, despite being iconic.
Cyclops never got to wear his cowl in any movie. It's time imo

It's time for Wolverine to wear a mask more than anything. It's time to throw away the antiquated notions of the old X-Men franchise and what these movies have to be or what the costumes have to be.

It's time for Wolverine to wear a mask more than anything. It's time to throw away the antiquated notions of the old X-Men franchise and what these movies have to be or what the costumes have to be.
Agreed :up: :up:

The xmen costumes are made for the mcu honestly

I'm going to go out on a limb and say it does, especially integrating with a universe that has come up with such incredible and slick explanations for comics costumes thus far, and dropped other big flappy masks, like Hawkeye's.

I mean... why do they exist in the first place? The reason we'd want it in the films is because it was in the comics, okay... but why was it in the comics at all? What is it supposed to evoke?

I always figured it was to accommodate his pointy hair.

The mask has some comm equipment he might need or something.

Also, Hawkeye is a marginal character for this franchise anyway. He's never going to get his own film.

If Captain America and Black Panther get to keep their masks, so should Wolverine.

Last edited:
Maybe we could tie the look of the mask to Wolverine's Japan story? Maybe its a samurai or ninja type thing?

I mean samurai or ninja don't wear masks like that :) .

The way I see it, it adds to his character. Wolverine is this primal, instinctual dude. He's always sort of fighting this feral, beastial animal nature and giving into his berserker rage. And the mask sort of externalizes that, it's like the pointed ears of a beast or a wolf's head.

I mean I guess you could say it's some sort of tribal thing representing the martial arts school of his sensei Ogun.

The sides of the mask though were just originally meant to evoke Wolverine ears. And then they just grew out into big earwings, but those became the iconic part of the character's design.

Can we really not just get this one thing? I've wanted to this onscreen for years with the mask. Can we please just get it and let it look really cool and see Wolverine in action with the mask just once?

A large number of hero costumes could just be black leather Singer X-Men style if they were just made for purpose. Part of it is to look good surely as this stuff is made for entertainment.

I suppose. I think he can just have it and it’d be fine. All of the X-Men wear costumes. That’s Logan’s. No other explanation needed IMO.

Perhaps not needed, but an opportunity for better story, and fuller world and meaningful visuals. For me, the fact that MCU characters' costumes make sense for them as characters makes them, their costumes, and the story better. We could just make Iron Man red and gold, just because that's his uniform, a random detail that neither Tony nor the audience care about OR would could have a shot of Tony looking at his car and telling JARVIS "throw a little fire engine red in there" and thereby connect Iron Man's look with Tony's personality and character, making both more meaningful. They can make every superhero appearance going forward meaningless beyond being easter eggs and the MCU will not fail, but... why would they want to do that?

A large number of hero costumes could just be black leather Singer X-Men style if they were just made for purpose. Part of it is to look good surely as this stuff is made for entertainment.

Captain America's uniforms have all been made for in-story purpose. None of them have been Black leather, and if the purpose is entertainment, Cap's uniform storylines have been far more entertaining than if he'd just had the blue mail from WWII in all his appearances. In fact, the only character to suffer this 'fate' is Hawkeye, and that's only because he doesn't have his circus storyline, and even still, he's got a little purple and flair. Singer's costumes are not borne of purpose, but of a clear disdain for superhero costumes, disguised as a need for utility when really it's an overwrought need to be taken seriously and seen as 'mature.'

Can we really not just get this one thing? I've wanted to this onscreen for years with the mask. Can we please just get it and let it look really cool and see Wolverine in action with the mask just once?

Of course we can. I'm just thinking: what if his mask doesn't have to be nonsense? Every other comic costume gets to make sense in the MCU, why not Wolverine too?

You've got great ideas for it too. Like, what if it was his datemono (Samurai helmet crest) and Xavier or Scott or Jean incorporated this faded distant memory into his gear? That sounds a lot more badass to me than 'just like the comics.'

I always figured it was to accommodate his pointy hair.

Haha! I think it is. Wouldn't want to mess up his 'do!

Overall, I think part of the story should be about the X-Men not wearing their uniforms, which by definition, they don't. Rogue walks around in skintight green and yellow and a bomber jacket, because that's her style, and she has no need for armor. Storm is in an all white pantsuit because that's how she carries herself. Gambit has some stolen body armor under his trench coat. Cyclops is pretty much the only person who wears the so called uniform, outside of students/trainees and Wolverine with a color-inverted version with his samurai crest on it. Jean doesn't wear a uniform, she just happens to have a green miniskirt on. Beast doesn't wear a uniform, just some underwear and his blue fur. Angel is a billionaire, so he makes his own custom suit because he's his own vigilante. Iceman wears the uniform, but you don't ever see it because he's ice. Bishop wears some scrounged up stuff from the future. Psylocke wears her ninja gear. Sunfire wears his country's custom outfit. Nightcrawler is in his circus gear for nostalgia, and Colossus... is... I dunno what Colossus is wearing. Regardless, neither one of them have any reason to wear armor. Like the Avengers, let each of their costumes come with its own story, and have fun with the fact that none of them are any more likely to wear body armor or a uniform than Black Widow and Scarlet Witch.

Last edited:
Captain America's uniforms have all been made for in-story purpose. None of them have been Black leather, and if the purpose is entertainment, Cap's uniform storylines have been far more entertaining than if he'd just had the blue mail from WWII in all his appearances. In fact, the only character to suffer this 'fate' is Hawkeye, and that's only because he doesn't have his circus storyline, and even still, he's got a little purple and flair. Singer's costumes are not borne of purpose, but of a clear disdain for superhero costumes, disguised as a need for utility when really it's an overwrought need to be taken seriously and seen as 'mature.'
I think you're agreeing with me but not 100% sure lol. I like there being a mix of functional and then partly just doing it to look good. Some characters admittedly have costumes that are harder to accurately portray in live action but the old X-Men films played it super-safe which isn't necessary in 2018 onwards.

I think you're agreeing with me but not 100% sure lol. I like there being a mix of functional and then partly just doing it to look good. Some characters admittedly have costumes that are harder to accurately portray in live action but the old X-Men films played it super-safe which isn't necessary in 2018 onwards.

Kinda? Like, I agree we should get costumes that are like the comics, or, at least as much like the comics as Captain America or Black Panther's MCU costumes are. I don't think 'because it's cool' is a valid reason for a serious character to do something whimsical though. I also don't think that what Singer did was actually playing it safe, I think it was a genuine dislike of the material. I don't think Singer was concerned about the audience accepting yellow spandex, I think he just didn't like it. It was never necessary to go all black, from 1978 onwards. Aping The Matrix and Blade wasn't even the safest bet, imho, which is why he had to have a line in the movie to justify his lack of color.

Although I see your point about how an explanation of the costume can provide good insight into a character and their mindset, I think “because it looks cool to (insert character here)” is, more often than not, reason enough. At this point in the genre’s history, you don’t really need to go out of your way to explain or justify every little thing. Superheroes wear costumes. Simple.

So while I don’t really disagree with the point you’re making at all, our opinions differ to the extent to which explaining certain things are necessary.

Kinda? Like, I agree we should get costumes that are like the comics, or, at least as much like the comics as Captain America or Black Panther's MCU costumes are. I don't think 'because it's cool' is a valid reason for a serious character to do something whimsical though. I also don't think that what Singer did was actually playing it safe, I think it was a genuine dislike of the material. I don't think Singer was concerned about the audience accepting yellow spandex, I think he just didn't like it. It was never necessary to go all black, from 1978 onwards. Aping The Matrix and Blade wasn't even the safest bet, imho, which is why he had to have a line in the movie to justify his lack of color.

I guess the assumption was always that Singer was reining in the campy comicbooky elements after Batman & Robin because he deemed it necessary and I wouldn't have considered that he might have outright disliked that side of it. Possible of course. For me I know I want the heroes to look as good as possible and I leave the job of justifying it to the filmmakers. I don't want them to fail on that front and give me a muted costume because they couldn't find a good enough reason to justify what I want to see. If it came to it I'd rather extend my suspension of disbelief to accommodate a good look, a personal choice of course which I'm sure many don't share.

Well, I guess that's part of my point, it was never necessary, but the MCU always does it anyway, and is better for it. Sometimes the simplest answer isn't always the most entertaining.

Well, I guess that's part of my point, it was never necessary, but the MCU always does it anyway, and is better for it. Sometimes the simplest answer isn't always the most entertaining.

I guess we agree then. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back