Supergirl Mehcad Brooks is Jimmy Olsen

I agree with his sentiment there....unfortunately I haven't really seen that in James as of yet. I see a guy with an inferiority complex that doesn't believe in himself and goes off half cocked thinking that if his name ends up in the headlines with hero next to it, that will make him a hero. Mehcad may get it, but James doesn't....IMO.

tumblr_ogvxtbKewJ1utrtino1_540.png

Give it to meeeeeee. :drl:

Honestly, the main "hero" here is Winn. He shows better judgement and greater cleverness than James, his genius created the Guardian equipment, and even in the field James is dependent on Winn's constant advice in his ear. James Olsen could almost literally be replaced with any other person of decent athletic and martial arts training ( and I mean decent as in "real world", not even comic book standards ). Hell, Winn probably works alongside a dozen nameless DEO guards who could do exactly that.

Yes, there's more to heroism than just physical capability, but if you give any particular thought to it, it looks an awful lot like "James throws a temper tantrum and emotionally blackmails a friend into making him a superhero."

Honestly, the main "hero" here is Winn. He shows better judgement and greater cleverness than James, his genius created the Guardian equipment, and even in the field James is dependent on Winn's constant advice in his ear. James Olsen could almost literally be replaced with any other person of decent athletic and martial arts training ( and I mean decent as in "real world", not even comic book standards ). Hell, Winn probably works alongside a dozen nameless DEO guards who could do exactly that.

Yes, there's more to heroism than just physical capability, but if you give any particular thought to it, it looks an awful lot like "James throws a temper tantrum and emotionally blackmails a friend into making him a superhero."

Yes, that's basically it. James badgered Winn into making a suit for him. I'm sure if J'onn had requested Winn to make suits for his DEO agents, Winn would be more than willing to do it. But no one else has asked Winn to do that yet.
After all Winn did make the anti-Kryptonite shields for Clark and Kara when he was asked to.

James's suit might be lead lined, but doesn't Kara have super hearing? She should be able to hear his voice through the distortion filter and be able to tell that it's Jimmy. It's not even that distorted.

And his eyeholes aren't lead lined. She should be able to see through that and see his eyes and recognise him.

Why didn't they just name him Jim Harper and make him an ex cop now working for the magazine covering police stories?

Why didn't they just name him Jim Harper and make him an ex cop now working for the magazine covering police stories?

I honestly have no clue why they went with Jimmy/James Olson, except that I truly think they thought that there would be some chemistry between him and Melissa and that he would first be a mentor (which he said he was going to be when interviewed at the SDCC 2015 Roundtable interviews) but I don't think anyone ever took him seriously. Including the writers...I don't think they have a clue what to do with him.

Which is sad, because he's a good actor when given something to work with....
But the way he is being written now, is even more awful in that he comes off as an egotistical wannabe hero.

When Kara had not been heard from since the night before, and didn't show up for work (THE PLACE THAT HE NOW RUNS....) and all he is worried about is how this new guy is making Guardian look bad????? What happened to the guy that called Alex and headed straight for Kara's apartment the minute she didn't show up for work or answer her phone in the first season. Once he became Guardian that was all he cares about. Whether they have meant to or not, he is coming off opposite of a true hero. IMO....

I honestly have no clue why they went with Jimmy/James Olson, except that I truly think they thought that there would be some chemistry between him and Melissa and that he would first be a mentor (which he said he was going to be when interviewed at the SDCC 2015 Roundtable interviews) but I don't think anyone ever took him seriously. Including the writers...I don't think they have a clue what to do with him.

Which is sad, because he's a good actor when given something to work with....
But the way he is being written now, is even more awful in that he comes off as an egotistical wannabe hero.

When Kara had not been heard from since the night before, and didn't show up for work (THE PLACE THAT HE NOW RUNS....) and all he is worried about is how this new guy is making Guardian look bad????? What happened to the guy that called Alex and headed straight for Kara's apartment the minute she didn't show up for work or answer her phone in the first season. Once he became Guardian that was all he cares about. Whether they have meant to or not, he is coming off opposite of a true hero. IMO....

pfffttt.......Kara dumped him. so why should he care? :o

but yeah, I agree with what you said.

love what WAS SAID HERE ABOUT BOTH CADMUS and James as Guardian

on that last part where
James as Guardian is involved , I'd say it's all filler. and nothing but filler

[FONT=&quot]DC
Supergirl: 5 Things We Want to See In the Second Half of Season 2

Slide 4 of 6
FIND A ROLE FOR GUARDIAN

guardian-211382.jpg

(Photo: DC Entertainment)

So far, the Guardian storyline has felt like it was primarily about finding a role for James Olsen, now that he's no longer the potential love interest for Kara and no longer a day-to-day part of her work at CatCo (which itself feels like it's taken a bit of a backseat with Cat gone).

That's fine, since Mehcad Brooks is a hell of an actor and his James Olsen is a highlight of the show...but really, there could be any number of creative ways to give him more to do without creating a Batman/Arrow-type subplot in the middle of Supergirl.

We're going to assume that he'll become more a part of Team Supergirl or Team DEO once his secret is revealed to Kara, but if that's the case, let's make it sooner than later, since at the moment most of the Guardian stuff has been fun...but filler.

source:Comicbook.com/

[/FONT]

the thing is they only used the name James Olsen cause in the book's and animated lore jimmy Olsen and kara were an item for a bit . As to the guardian they know there was alot of fans wanting to see the guardian though there was a split on if they wanted the original or any of his clone/ children from the Harper family descended from him.

And they sadly made the mistake of ruing james harper the cop and costumed hero and decent person by not only by making him their version of hank Henshaw best friend(<<that part isn't the problem ), but they made him as Xenophobic (<< that latter part That's the problem).

So they can't use james Harper cause they made him into a military and here the worse part bigot with in the show . One thing for sure show James Harper would have never been a love interest for kara . he was already some what beyond kara in age. and might be considered her dad at most. it wouldn't have worked.

Last edited:
the thing is they only used the name James Olsen cause in the book's and animated lore jimmy Olsen and kara were an item for a bit . As to the guardian they know there was alot of fans wanting to see the guardian though there was a split on if they wanted the original or any of his clone/ children from the Harper family descended from him.

And they sadly made the mistake of ruing james harper the cop and costumed hero and decent person by not only by making him their version of hank Henshaw best friend(<<that part isn't the problem ), but they made him as Xenophobic (<< that latter part That's the problem).

So they can't use james Harper cause they made him into a military and here the worse part bigot with in the show . One thing for sure show James Harper would have never been a love interest for kara . he was already some what beyond kara in age. and might be considered her dad at most. it wouldn't have worked.

I never once saw any fans wanting to see Guardian on Twitter, Fb or sites like this one. I had never even heard of him until it was said that he was going to be on Supergirl.....and even then I didnt see much of a positive reaction.

Last edited:
I never once saw any fans wanting to see Guardian on Twitter, Fb or sites like this one. I had never even heard of him until it was said that he was going to be on Supergirl.....and even then I didnt see much of a positive reaction.
I'm answering you really quick from work. it did happen during season 3-4 in arrow (especially on the hype ) when John Diggle didn't have a code name as a heroe I believe I and other took notice of you when super girl was thing here. but guardian was being pushed when both Diggle and Roy Harper Aka arsenal were already on a cw show.

And the guardian is known as Roy's uncle really his great uncle . but alot of the fan's wanted the code name on diggle and ther other half onthe web . there was split not just here. I was one of the few that wanted diggle to have an original name for him self.

I even came up with the name Ordinance which made sense since Diggle is a military man and loves his military gun's and anything else military wise in combat. while other were also joking around calling diggle the black driver.

other poster like primal slayer know of this.

I was very vocal on John Diggle having an original name and for guardian to be Jams Harper Roy's uncle or as the comic and animated young justice series had him originally great uncle that was the captain America of the DCU only he was cop and not a soldier. That had different path Steve rogers.

the took the name spartan which was wild cat's name from wild storm univers since dc bought them and but this also with the new 52 and the new 52cvwas failer cause allthe wild storm character had a hard time fiting inthe comic's currently of dc they are better fit for marvels super heroes soldeir and spies (and sleuths) theme. dc s most about detectives(super man and bat man are detective's & investigators) and law people (green lanterns are inter Galactic law people) hens the name dective comic's.

and spartan from the wild was never meant to be a legacy name and this year wild storm is being pushed as it's own thing again separate from the DCU with warren Ellis. so there wouldn't be any confusion and Diggle can keep the name.

so it was slightly before we both knew each other kelly.

Last edited:
I'm answering you really quick from work. it did happen during season 3-4v in arrow when dingle didn't have a code name as heroes I believe I and other took notice of you when super girl was thing. but guardian was being pushed when both diggle and Roy Harper Aka arsenal were already on a cw show. and the guardian is know ar Roys uncle. but alot of the fan wanted the code name on diggle I was one of the few that wanted diggle to have an original name for him self.

I even came up with the name ordinance which made sense since he is a military man and love his gun's and anything else military wise in combat. while other were also joking around calling diggle the black driver.

other poster like primal slayer know of this.

I was very vocal on diggle have an original name and for guardian to be Jams Harper Roy's uncle or as the comic and animated young justice series had him originally great uncle that was the captain America of the DCU only he was cop and not a soldier. That had different path Steve rogers.

so it was slightly before we both knew each other kelly.

Gotcha...yes, not being a watcher of Arrow, that would have gotten past me for sure. I was speaking of Supergirl in particular. Also, seems to me that Guardian would have fit much better into Arrow, he feels pushed into Supergirl and I think that is where some of the fans have an issue. He just is not needed. Everything that he does, Alex can do, without a lead suit and shield.

I have a feeling that Kara's line of "My earth needs an Oliver Queen" is going to play into her being ok with James being Guardian AND his character sticking around much longer than some would like.

Guardian could have worked better as a totally new character who was INSPIRED by Kara to become a vigilante - but without all the baggage of Olsen.

then you could get into the whole subplot of Kara being an inspirational figure, but what happens when she inspires a vigilante who takes the law into his own hands with a more aggressive approach?

In a way, Guardian could become something of Kara's "Batman" or "Arrow." Someone who protects the city in his own way - using more aggressive and often unsavory tactics. Which would create fiction between Supergirl and Guardian. If you want to set up Guardian's civilian identity as a future love interest for Kara, then that would just create another wrinkle, if they even want to go that route.

but that would have been far more interesting than seeing James suddenly become Guardian out of the blue, with no strong motivation given his prior history on the show.

now, if they had planted this seed in Olsen's character earlier on, back in Season 1, and have been building it up to this point, things might be different.

but they didn't write James to be that character.

that's why there is a "disconnect" for me with him becoming Guardian.

another way to use Guardian would have been to make him part of Cadmus.

Cadmus is all about "humans" taking back their planet and stopping alien threats. Well, Guardian would be their prime "soldier" in that effort.

so, Cadmus/Guardian and DEO/Supergirl would go after the same alien threats, but they take drastically different approaches.

Guardian is willing to kill and eliminate the alien threats, while Kara tries her best to neutralize, capture, and even try to rehab the alien threats.

along the way, Guardian starts to realize his methods may not be the best and he starts to question Cadmus' true motives, and eventually he becomes an ally of Supergirl.

They don't seem to be writing James NOW to be Guardian. So my hope is that it is actually the writer's goal for James to be coming off as he is, and that becomes a major rift/drama between him and Kara...or him and Winn, to me better him and Winn. :)

They don't seem to be writing James NOW to be Guardian. So my hope is that it is actually the writer's goal for James to be coming off as he is, and that becomes a major rift/drama between him and Kara...or him and Winn, to me better him and Winn. :)

so, you're saying, they're intentionally making James "wannabe Guardian" and playing up the whole amateur/out of his league angle? that's the writer's intent for the character?

so, you're saying, they're intentionally making James "wannabe Guardian" and playing up the whole amateur/out of his league angle? that's the writer's intent for the character?

No, I'm saying that is how he is coming off....

so...

1. they are either writing him very badly or
2. they are intentionally writing him that way for a reason

No, I'm saying that is how he is coming off....

so...

1. they are either writing him very badly or
2. they are intentionally writing him that way for a reason

ah, I got you.

and yeah, I feel the same. either way, it doesn't make the character interesting.

Cadmus is all about "humans" taking back their planet and stopping alien threats. Well, Guardian would be their prime "soldier" in that effort.

so, Cadmus/Guardian and DEO/Supergirl would go after the same alien threats, but they take drastically different approaches.

Guardian is willing to kill and eliminate the alien threats, while Kara tries her best to neutralize, capture, and even try to rehab the alien threats.

along the way, Guardian starts to realize his methods may not be the best and he starts to question Cadmus' true motives, and eventually he becomes an ally of Supergirl.

But that likely would have required hiring another actor to take the role of Guardian. And the whole point of introducing Guardian is to give Mehcad Brooks something to do on the show.
If they hired someone else to be Guardian they are still stuck with what to do with James Olsen that isn't something boring like running CatCo or some guy standing around taking pictures.

But that likely would have required hiring another actor to take the role of Guardian. And the whole point of introducing Guardian is to give Mehcad Brooks something to do on the show.
If they hired someone else to be Guardian they are still stuck with what to do with James Olsen that isn't something boring like running CatCo or some guy standing around taking pictures.

I'd rather have James run CatCo than be a wannabe amateur vigilante.

That would have been far more interesting. A human who is ignorantly opposed to ALL aliens on Earth, but who uses alien technology (i.e. armour and weapons) to fight Supergirl on behalf of CADMUS and to further their aims.

But, over time, he has his eyes opened as to who is the true threat (i.e. CADMUS) and, thanks to Supergirl's help, he seeks his redemption by becoming a vigilante who will fight to protect all citizens of National City, both alien and human.

Heck, I'm still kind of hoping that CADMUS kidnap and brainwash Jimmy and use his as their tool, with the knowledge that Supergirl will never seriously hurt him, for the rest of the season. And then, after that experience, Jimmy can decide to return to Metropolis and we can see more of Snapper Carr as Kara's boss and ... crotchety mentor in the field of journalism.

That would have been far more interesting. A human who is ignorantly opposed to ALL aliens on Earth, but who uses alien technology (i.e. armour and weapons) to fight Supergirl on behalf of CADMUS and to further their aims.

But, over time, he has his eyes opened as to who is the true threat (i.e. CADMUS) and, thanks to Supergirl's help, he seeks his redemption by becoming a vigilante who will fight to protect all citizens of National City, both alien and human.

Heck, I'm still kind of hoping that CADMUS kidnap and brainwash Jimmy and use his as their tool, with the knowledge that Supergirl will never seriously hurt him, for the rest of the season. And then, after that experience, Jimmy can decide to return to Metropolis and we can see more of Snapper Carr as Kara's boss and ... crotchety mentor in the field of journalism.

exactly!!

Gotcha...yes, not being a watcher of Arrow, that would have gotten past me for sure. I was speaking of Supergirl in particular. Also, seems to me that Guardian would have fit much better into Arrow, he feels pushed into Supergirl and I think that is where some of the fans have an issue. He just is not needed. Everything that he does, Alex can do, without a lead suit and shield.

I have a feeling that Kara's line of "My earth needs an Oliver Queen" is going to play into her being ok with James being Guardian AND his character sticking around much longer than some would like.
ok i'm back I also forgot to say this but again I was at work and wrote that as fast as possible.
thing is even though the guardian is of the harper family his only connection to arrow is Roy aka Arsenal green arrow former side kick who's hero in his own right.

the guardian has a long history in metropolis and was the one looking over Conner Kent when the death of superman event happened and alot of superman doubles came out to fill clarks void

so the gardian was conner kents mentor and would show up on small occasion to see how conner kent was doing. this in conner kent's leather jacket days . and befor cadmus became this evil entity guardin left the place along with Conner kent after superman exposed the place.

and the guardian's kid's / clone came about

well the point I'm getting at is that the guardian has history6 with superman.

roy harper connection to super man is through that that long lost relative came to him and the fact when he was separated from green doing his federal agent thing clark kinda inspired to pick up some detective skills him self . kind like how clark told dick Grayson of a version of batman on the planet krypton which dick took the name of night to become hero in his own right before that.

so it's kinda hard to say the guardian is a better fit for arrow the live action show . since he's sorta part of superman lore too . it's just that the show runner's went about this all wrong where the actor Mehcad is involved .

they just shouldn't have played place the super hero code name on any character with him and they should have turned james harper into a character for the tv audience to hate.

If they were gonna use that character .

as to james wanting to be a hero I agree the actor understands it better then the character. where james is acting like spoiled child from a willy Wonka movie which doesn't need time but spanking. he bulling Wynn into make things for him and his reason for it is terrible and rushed.

Last edited:
New Promo. I would put it in the "Supergirl Lives" thread, but it seems to focus on multiple future eps, despite the title of the video:

James is getting on my last nerve even in that promo, lol.

You are not kidding....and I'm so trying hard for him not to get on my nerves, but he is. I wish they would just take him down a few pegs, and someone teach him what being hero actually is....Also, he said to Winn that he was a Black Belt, yet I have not seen him use one technique from this apparent talent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"