Mel Gibson Is The Director?

Fallen Angel

Earth Bound
Reaction score
Warner Bros. courts Mel Gibson to direct #SuicideSquad sequel http://thr.cm/u0F0pq

Mel Gibson is mulling joining the DC Cinematic Universe … as a director.

Warner Bros. is courting the actor-director to helm Suicide Squad 2 and the sides are early in talks, The Hollywood Reporter has learned. No official offer has been made nor has any commitment.

Sources say that Gibson is familiarizing himself with the material. But the studio is not being passive and it also looking at other directors, Daniel Espinosa among them.
David Ayer directed the initial outing, which featured an all-star cast that included Will Smith, Margot Robbie and Jared Leto. The movie faced some hurdles during production and was met with somewhat polarizing response, but grossed $745 million worldwide, enough to put a sequel on the fast-track.
Ayer is now developing a project that reunites him with Robbie and focuses on the female villains of the DC Universe.
Squad told the story of villains such as Deadshot, Harley Quinn, the Joker, Captain Boomerang and Killer Croc who are forced into the service of the government in exchange for lighter sentences.
The fact that Gibson, riding high thanks to his Oscar-nominated war movie Hacksaw Ridge, is being courted by Warners marks a remarkable turnaround for the actor-director. His image took a hit in the 2000s after a drunk driving arrest and anti-Semitic comments, and he found himself losing studio work.
Gibson did nab a cameo in The Hangover: Part II - a movie being by Warners - but a backlash within the studio and parts of the cast ended with him being unceremoniously dropped.
But Hacksaw is seen as a major turning point for Gibson. His biopic of conscientious objector Desmond Doss nabbed six Oscar nominations, including one for Gibson for best director, and has made $164 million worldwide.
And he has found himself fielding a slew of offers, both from studios and indies. He is now in talks to join Will Ferrell and Mark Walhberg for Paramount's Daddy’s Home 2 and is reteaming with Hacksaw actor Vince Vaughn for the gritty crime indie Dragged Across Concrete.
He is repped by CAA.

This might actually get me interested in the sequel.

This is the most random thing ever :funny:

This is shock.1:Gibson has made no secret on his feelings for CB films and 2-he being out of favor with his racist comments

I would be all over this, but I sincerely doubt it happens.

He's not out of favour though. Hes' been welcomed back to Hollywood with open arms.

He just got nominated again for an Oscar for Best Director (Hacksaw Ridge) and recently signed up for a Hollywood studio movie again with Paramount.

He's not out of favour though. Hes' been welcomed back to Hollywood with open arms.

He just got nominated again for an Oscar for Best Director (Hacksaw Ridge) and recently signed up for a Hollywood studio movie again with Paramount.

I guess his critical acclaimed film got him back in studios good graces.

:down No thanks. Keep this racist, sexist, homophobic guy off of all CBMs

Gibson would be a huge get and go a long way in restoring faith in the DCEU. He has a reputation for being hands-on, and his recent comments against the genre also show he's not going to lay down and make a standard blockbuster for the fame or money. Guy is a true artist.

I'm doubtful it goes through, but I'd applaud all parties for making it happen. We might finally get that gritty Suicide Squad we initially thought Ayer would easily provide.

Having Mel in the chair would get me interested even though he's probably a piece of ***** as human being.

Mel's got six weeks to write the film then they shoot.

Having Mel in the chair would get me interested even though he's probably a piece of ***** as human being.

Probably? :loco: Is there really any doubt?

Gibson isn't doing this.

“It’s a piece of ****,” the 60-year-old director told Deadline at the Venice Film Festival. “I’m not interested in the stuff. Do you know what the difference between real superheroes and comic-book superheroes is? Real superheroes didn’t wear spandex. So I don’t know. Spandex must cost a lot.”

You don't go from that to directing a sequel to one of the most hated superhero films of all time.

id be surprised if Gibson did this based on his comments. Also, its starting to seem like WB wants negative PR.

Probably? :loco: Is there really any doubt?

Gibson isn't doing this.

“It’s a piece of ****,” the 60-year-old director told Deadline at the Venice Film Festival. “I’m not interested in the stuff. Do you know what the difference between real superheroes and comic-book superheroes is? Real superheroes didn’t wear spandex. So I don’t know. Spandex must cost a lot.”

You don't go from that to directing a sequel to one of the most hated superhero films of all time.
One of the most hated? Suicide Squad made over $700 million.

One of the most critically panned? Sure. But it's plain enough that the GA enjoyed it.

Gibson crapped on CBMs anyhow, why would he want to do SS2?

I feel like the optics of this troubled f***er making a sequel to such a contested CBM are pretty awful.

Well this is an interesting development! I actually hope he ends up directing and I'm curious as to which characters he'd use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"