Men In Black: International

teewee1432

Civilian
Reaction score
Men in Black 4 Planned with Oren Uziel Scripting
Source: The Wrap
May 3, 2013
19 0

Following a tremendous $624 million worldwide box office last year with Men in Black 3, Sony Pictures has brought aboard Oren Uziel to script a fourth adventure in the comedic sci-fi franchise. The Wrap has the news that Uziel will script both MIB 4 and will perform rewrite duties on 21 Jump Street 2.

Uziel, who has previously written for the webseries "Mortal Kombat: Rebirth," is also known for his upcoming horror comedy screenplay, The Kitchen Sink. That film features a human, a vampire and a zombie teaming up to prevent an alien invasion.

Although no confirmations have been made as of yet, Barry Sonnenfeld has directed all three entries in the Men in Black franchise and all three films have featured Will Smith and Tommy Lee Jones as Agents J and K, respectively.

ComingSoon.net spoke with Smith at the MIB 3 junket last year and asked him about his thoughts on returning for a fourth film.

"We'll have to see what people say," Smith said. "If there's a good reaction to this movie, it's not something I would be against. Hopefullly we're not going to keep the same pattern. It was five years between the first and second and ten years between the second and third. That would be twenty years. I'll be 63 years old. It's just not a good look."

So much for people calling the 3rd one a failure money wise. It didn't do gangbusters because of it's huge budget but it's obvious it made some cash if the studio is even thinking of making a sequel.

Granted this doesn't mean that a sequel is 100% going to be made.

I loved the 3rd... I hope they keep up the high quality.

"We'll have to see what people say," Smith said. "If there's a good reaction to this movie, it's not something I would be against. Hopefullly we're not going to keep the same pattern. It was five years between the first and second and ten years between the second and third. That would be twenty years. I'll be 63 years old. It's just not a good look."

Will Smith isn't good at math, is he?

I actually preferred the third over the second and loved Josh Brolin as young K, hope he could return somehow.

If they want K around, maybe they can de-age him or something. Yeah, it'd kind of mess with the idea of death in the MIB universe, especially as Zed died, but maybe its a side effect of alien weaponry or something. After all, TLJ surely won't be running and gunning much in another sequel if it takes a few years to get made.

Variety:
Amy Pascal’s Exit Could Affect Sony’s Spider-Man Franchise, ‘Dragon Tattoo’
Dave McNary & Justin Kroll said:
Amy Pascal’s departure as co-chair of Sony Pictures Entertainment and chair of its motion picture group leaves Hollywood unsettled over the fate of the studio’s upcoming slate.

The biggest questions at Sony surround the Spider-Man franchise, sequels to the “Girl With the Dragon Tattoo” and the “Cleopatra” project.

It could be several months or more before the post-Pascal priorities of the studio come into focus. And of course much depends on who her successor turns out to be. If Pascal’s top lieutenant, SPE Motion Picture Group president Doug Belgrad, gets the gig, as many expect, there could be minimal changes to the lineup.

Pascal will remain in place through May, at which point she will segue to a producing deal at Sony. Besides Belgrad, other possible replacements from within are former Fox studio chief Tom Rothman, who runs TriStar Pictures; and Columbia Pictures production president Michael De Luca, who ran New Line during the 1990s.

It’s probable that Sony Pictures chairman-CEO Michael Lynton will be averse to tinkering with projects being developed by Rothman and Jeff Robinov’s Studio 8.

The biggest decision for Lynton and Pascal’s successor will be how to handle the Spider-Man franchise. “The Amazing Spider-Man 2″ did respectable business last summer but was hardly the $1 billion blockbuster that Pascal had told folks that she needed it to be.

“Spider-Man” remains a cash cow, but the plans for expanding the Spidey universe through villain spinoffs and the next installment may be re-examined — since Pascal played the leading role pursuing that path. A new regime may take a stronger look at returning to the negotiation table with Marvel Studios over Spidey’s rights.

Sony’s last move on that front came during Comic-Con in July, when the studio dated spinoff “Sinister Six” for Nov. 11, 2016, as the next tentpole in its key property — while moving back “The Amazing Spider-Man 3″ two years to 2018. The idea of bringing in villains is aimed at making Sony a stronger competitor against the likes of Disney/Marvel’s “Avengers” and Warner Bros.’ “Justice League” superheroes in the coming years.

The studio has also slated “Uncharted” for June 10, 2016 — the date previously held by “The Amazing Spider-Man 3” — with Charles Roven and former Marvel Studios chief Avi Arad producing. Based on the PlayStation videogame series, it follows the adventures of treasure hunter Nathan Drake, signaling Sony’s desire to develop an Indiana Jones-style franchise.

The uncertainty will also extend to Sony’s relationship with powerhouse producer Scott Rudin. The Sony hack revealed several nasty emails between Pascal and Rudin; additionally, Pascal decided to put Rudin’s Steve Jobs biopic into turnaround in November, after which Universal quickly picked up the project.

Pascal was still Rudin’s biggest champion at the studio and a big reason he signed a first-look deal with the studio in 2011. The most prominent of his projects include sequels to 2011’s “The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo” — “The Girl Who Played With Fire” and “The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet’s Nest.”

“Dragon Tattoo” was a critical success and performed respectably at the worldwide box office with $230 million, but no one has been in any hurry to make the next two installments in the series. Pascal’s departure leaves the continuation of that series very much in doubt.

Rudin is also developing a “Little House on the Prairie” movie, but the project does not appear to have gained much traction. That said, Pascal could wind up teaming with Rudin to produce the film once she’s launched her own production company at the studio.

“Cleopatra” also remains a big question mark as the big-budget biopic was probably Pascal’s biggest passion project at Sony. With Angelina Jolie seemingly irked about the leaked emails in which Rudin derided her and Pascal being the film’s biggest supporter, it seems very likely that this movie will move elsewhere.

“Salt 2,” which is not a Rudin project, may also have a murky future with Jolie due to her feelings about the emails.

In terms of projects on the franchise side, “Ghostbusters” and “21 Jump Street” seem safe, but the “Men in Black” series may either be reconsidered or completely abandoned, especially following the much-derided leaked email that suggested creating a spinoff that would combine the “Jump Street” movies with “Men in Black.” Additionally, “Men in Black 3″ was so costly and so panned by critics that the new regime may take a pass on this series altogether.

Combining Jump Street with Men in Black would do good business.

Men in Black was so costly due to the production, but the film still made realy good business for a franchise that had not released a new instalment in 10 years, You could even make one of those films with a smaller budget if you planned everything well, seems like a waste businesswise to abandon something that popular.

A Jump Street/ Men in Black crossover could be good business too.

I don't see any newcomer just flat out ditching MiB. Would be good to get another, but we don't need one really

We don't realy need one, i agree, but considering SONY's position, i think they need a big franchise like that afloat.

set part 4 in the '70's using Josh B. and Will Smith's kid as young K & J...

I say that the 4th movie should be set in the sixties with K and M.

Last edited:
Does anybody remember the Mib cartoon? It had a pretty cool feel to it, almost like the matrix. Its funny that these days everything gets made into a gritty reboot but The Mib did it in reverse and made the cartoon gritty..personaly id like to see a Mib movie done more closer in tone and style to that of the cartoon rather than the Mib films we have had.

I haven't watched that cartoon in years, probably in more than a decade, i remember realy liking it and some episodes being a little creepy. Something close to that style could work, but MIB should at its core still be a "fun" film series.

Last edited:
All they need to do is get Will Smith rapping again and making songs for his movies like say a new remix of Men in Black like he should have done for MIB3 and we're sweet. Oh and go for the Jump St. tone. As for crossing over, I'd say do one more MIB/Jump St./Ghostbusters not Fembusters before crossing over.

In a way The Matrix is a kind of MIB film. The agents are the Mib and neo and gang are the alien/ phenomena that they must take care of if they get out of hand. Cross over fan fiction!..Agents J and K discover they are agents working inbthe matrix! :p

What happened to Jaden though? He was realy good in The Karate Kid, but been terrible in every role ever since.

Men In Black gets worse with each sequel. Hated the last film.

I watched it almost half a decade ago, but i remember liking him in Karate Kid quite a bit. I disagree about tha tlast statement, MIB was easily better than the 2nd film, it was far from being a perfect movie, but i found it to be kinda fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"