** Metal ** The Thread! II

I just found out about that band - the female singers voice is :hrt:

Do you have any suggestions on which of their albums is worthy of picking up?

Their previous album, Manifesto, is pretty solid. One of the tracks has a saxaphone solo; it's awesome.

Do any of you guys listen to older Soilwork, Scar Symmetry, Dark Tranquility, stuff like that?

Do any of you guys listen to older Soilwork, Scar Symmetry, Dark Tranquility, stuff like that?

I listen to all Scar Symmetry; they're gods. New album comes out in April, incidentally.

I also listen to Dark Tranquility (mostly the last three albums, though) and Soilwork (mostly Natural Born Chaos).

Gothenburg sound is best sound, haha.

I listen to all Scar Symmetry; they're gods. New album comes out in April, incidentally.

I also listen to Dark Tranquility (mostly the last three albums, though) and Soilwork (mostly Natural Born Chaos).

Gothenburg sound is best sound, haha.

Haha sweet. I have all of Soilwork's stuff, but their top notch albums for me are The Chainheart Machine, A Predator's Portrait and Natural Born Chaos. All of those albums are amazingly unique in the true melodic Gothenburg sound.

I stopped listening to Scar Symmetry after Christian Alvestam left, he was THE voice to that band.

Haha sweet. I have all of Soilwork's stuff, but their top notch albums for me are The Chainheart Machine, A Predator's Portrait and Natural Born Chaos. All of those albums are amazingly unique in the true melodic Gothenburg sound.

I stopped listening to Scar Symmetry after Christian Alvestam left, he was THE voice to that band.

They replaced him a pair of guys who manage to pull off his sound reasonably well, but obviously you can't entirely replace Alvestam. It's still great music, though obviously it would have been ideal if he had stuck with the band.

They replaced him a pair of guys who manage to pull off his sound reasonably well, but obviously you can't entirely replace Alvestam. It's still great music, though obviously it would have been ideal if he had stuck with the band.

Those guys are all beastly musicians. Really strong riffs and drums. Hopefully they'll get more noticed the more albums they crank out.

Forgot this thread existed, lol.

Back in January, I bought the new Electric Wizard album, BLACK MASSES. This beast is epically heavy. Oddly enough, it reeks of Euro-trash exploitation cinema more so than their past albums. Less overtly Lovecraftian this time, too. But still. "Turn Off Your Mind" is insane. The wait on this was killer, as it came out in the UK on November 1st, but Rise Above Records had a change in US Distribution apparently, as Metal Blade handled the American release for Jan. 18th. The price between the UK and the US edition was really the reason I chose to wait it out. Now to save up for the vinyl version!

and in October, I finally found the new Cathedral album, THE GUESSING GAME. If anyone remembers the title track from THE GARDEN OF UNEARTHLY DELIGHTS, the whole album is like that, crossed with The Crazy World of Arthur Brown(whose song, "Fire", Cathedral covered on the Hopkins, The Witchfinder General EP). So it's crazy psychedelic. The lyrics aren't that doom-y. They're bleak, but much more political, kind of like Lee Dorian's Napalm Death lyrics. But there still remains a sense of humor. 2 CDs long, too. Killer album.

Anyone check out the new Sword album, WARP RIDERS? Very good stuff. The production made me happy as GODS OF THE EARTH sounded terrible. This one had a nice, full sound reminiscent of AGE OF WINTER.

We have any Witchcraft fans in here at all?

Those guys are all beastly musicians. Really strong riffs and drums. Hopefully they'll get more noticed the more albums they crank out.

I agree on all counts.

continuing the trend of Amon Amarth, here is singer Johan Hegg performing SOADs "Areals" from the 70,000 tons of Metal-cruise

[YT]bml8x5dyBbg[/YT]

That was incredibly awesome. I hope they make 70,000 of Metal an annual thing, I'd love to go one day.

Yarr, me hypers, here be a new tune from Alestorm
[YT]Xqvt8S-BsfQ[/YT]

Scar Symmetry has a new track up on their facebook, and it's goddamn fantastic.

Pretty awesome that Amon Amarth has a new album coming out. I'll most likely pick it up when it's released. Just the other day I ordered Pain of Salvation's "The Perfect Element 1", Star One "Victims of A Modern Age", and two other albums that escape me at the moment.

Oh the other was Summoning "Let Mortal Heroes Sing Your Fame". Now I honestly can't remember the other one.

Two fine albums especially The Perfect Element. Daniel Gildenlow is a freakin' genius. Eagerly awaiting Road Salt, Vol.2 sometime this year.

Arjen Lucassen too is a freakin' genius. How he makes his guitars sound heavy with a little electronic flavour just brings a smile to his face not to mention the fact he's had the same drummer in Ed Warby for God knows how long.

Curious about Dream Theater's next album without Mike Portnoy not to mention Portnoy's upcoming projects - one with Russell Allen and some other guy and the other project with Neal and Steve Morse (both aren't related btw).

And while not Metal I'm really, REALLY looking forward to Black Country Communion 2 whatever the name of the album will turn out to be due in June.

Gonna se Queenrÿche in june, gonna be epic!
[YT]sC4bLKSA56Q[/YT]

^ Yeah I'll be seeing them in July at the High Voltage Festival for the first time. Should be great!!

I dont know about this folliwing band, I guess I would call it like "indie-metal", or "jazz-metal" hahaha I have absolutely no idea... Madder Mortem is the name anyways, really intoxicating I think:

[YT]_ryoQvBjDMU[/YT]

Their previous album, Manifesto, is pretty solid. One of the tracks has a saxaphone solo; it's awesome.
Thanks for the recommendation, picked it up yesterday, listening to that piece made me question why the hell arent saxophones used more in metal!?!?!

[green lantern reynolds]I know, right [/green lantern reynolds]! Just found out about them! I would listen to the entire album (Eight Ways) from start to finish to get a better experience tho and not just that one song :)

OMG! The SOAD Aerials cover will be on the official release!!!!
[YT]4aKs2dzu70Q[/YT]

Already have it pre-ordered on iTunes. Apparently Aerials is exclusive to the iTunes release.

Last edited:
The Haunted is streaming their new album here
Its both slower and heavier than what they've done before... some might say they are venturing into stoner rock.
I like it! It grows with every song :)

Last edited:
Anyone hear that Matt Barlow is leaving Iced Earth again after their tour is over? Jon already has a singer that will replace him. Stu Block from Into Eternity is going to be the new Iced Earth vocalist.

^NOES!
I've heard Stu Block in Into.. and it sound alright, but I dont know... some of IEs songs need to be sung with a dark and clean voice, and that, Block cannot do :(

New stuff from Saxon
[YT]xdv3ZZ8IFSI[/YT]
Pure and simple NWOBHM

*likes*

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"