Runaways Metamorphosis | Runaways | EP6

Well it was another slow episode. Though it was nice to see the blonde teen fly.

Hard to comment on this episode without spoiling everything. I like that a lot of questions seem to be answered and a lot of the dramas are coming to a head. Even the main conflict gets one step closer at the end.

We get to see a lot more with Jonah and what's going on. He's definitely got a satan vibe where he gives gifts but asks for something in return (and, by then, he's got you trapped). Although I can't say the energy transfer tape will be ironclad proof either way.

I like the bonding between parent and child. There are little moments of doubt about whether they're truly evil that can make the kids hesitate. There's also the really tragic moment with Tina Minoru. She's certainly been ruthless and I suspect she's killed both Molly's parents and possibly Amy, but it was sad that her husband is cheating on her. Chase's dad at least, apparently gets mind wiped to make things easier.

I also enjoyed the exploration of Karolina's sexual orientation, which I didn't think they'd touch on. I like that they're showing it, but it isn't just out there. There's some discomfort with being outed that causes her to be catty. I also like the metaphor with her "living a lie" about lighting up. The flying effects aren't great, though.

The ending was quite good. Molly's actions are dumb, but not so blatantly dumb that you couldn't see it happening. She's worried about not knowing what happened to her parents when the Pride get locked up, which is entirely understandable.

I liked the episode for the most part, some good character development and some nice moments of levity (geddit), the only thing I'm not keen on is the staff being technological instead of magical. That seems silly and unnecessary to me.

At the time, I was disappointed when the Runaways movie was canceled, but this works so much better as a series. I loved this latest episode. Nice to see the relationships between all the parents get much more complicated. James Marsters was amazing in this episode.

At the time, I was disappointed when the Runaways movie was canceled, but this works so much better as a series. I loved this latest episode. Nice to see the relationships between all the parents get much more complicated. James Marsters was amazing in this episode.
I don't recall them ever announcing a movie unless you mean a tv/Netflix only kind of movie. It never had a spot like Inhumans did.

^ All I recall is James Gunn talking about how he had an idea for one. I don't think it ever got greenlit or went beyond that.

I liked the episode for the most part, some good character development and some nice moments of levity (geddit), the only thing I'm not keen on is the staff being technological instead of magical. That seems silly and unnecessary to me.

I linked to an interview about this where they basically said Marvel has a "no magic" policy where magic has to be explained by science. In Doctor Strange and Agents of SHIELD, it's extra-dimensional energy being brought here. Thor just says it's advanced technology. I kind of got the impression this was their obligatory "it's technically not magic" disclaimer. Since it ended with "OK, fine, 'magical science'" that feels like they've made their disclaimer to keep their bosses happy and they can move on. I doubt they'll make it any less magical going forward than they've already done.

I liked this episode most so far. There was a lot of depth added to fairly one dimensional characters and solid character development in this episodes. Like Jonah as a villain, and curious to see what all he has up his sleeves for Pride now that he is out and about.

About magic as "science we just don't understand." Magic can be such an easy scapegoat to get away with things without explanation. As I see it, the MCU is trying to remain grounded in a certain believable reality similar to ours. They ride the edge of fantastical without crossing it. They want us to have the feeling that these events are possible in our reality and physical theory to a large degree. To help us connect with the goings on, and the characters. Events that happen in deep space (GotG, Thor, etc.) are easily explained by "we don't really know what's out there". I personally think that idea of "grounded in reality" aids the MCU's success. They do indeed push those limits at times, but really draw the line at magic. So far, I'm on board with how they handle magic and fantasy. Even if it shy's away from source material.

Not a big fan of the staff explanation either. Sure, I think magic in fictional settings will always be explainable by science, but it an just as easily be some extraphysical scientific concept that we in the real world don't know about yet (because it doesn't exist here). I feel that AoS handled it much better and the explanation given by Tina doesn't fit with Doctor Strange very well. For now I will accept the headcanon that Tina's explanation isn't actually valid or complete, because she didn't want Nico to know that magic is a real thing that she's hiding from the rest of the world.

Do Karolina and Nico get together in the comics? I only remember Alex and that Skrull guy.

I also was wondering if they were going to stick with the heel turn for Alex. This episode seems to hint that they will, with Nico getting suspicious at him.

I linked to an interview about this where they basically said Marvel has a "no magic" policy where magic has to be explained by science. In Doctor Strange and Agents of SHIELD, it's extra-dimensional energy being brought here. Thor just says it's advanced technology. I kind of got the impression this was their obligatory "it's technically not magic" disclaimer. Since it ended with "OK, fine, 'magical science'" that feels like they've made their disclaimer to keep their bosses happy and they can move on. I doubt they'll make it any less magical going forward than they've already done.

I suspected something similar, but still, I think they could have gotten away with leaving it as some sort of unexplained artefact like the Darkhold rather than write themselves into a corner by setting the precedent that the Pride is essentially capable of building something this insanely advanced. Then again, the time machine TV is a bit crazy too. I wonder if he ever noticed it turned on...

Do Karolina and Nico get together in the comics? I only remember Alex and that Skrull guy.

No, but Karolina likes Nico. She reveals her sexuality by attempting to kiss Nico when Nico says she's "done with boys" after Alex, but Nico shuts her down because she's not into girls. Xavin at some point even shapeshifts into Nico in an attempt to please Karolina

Good episode, kind of underlines the slowness of the whole show here though.

I think the staff explanation was weird, like they were trying to get Tina's genius in there somehow or something and kinda underlines the crazy power balances in some of these relationships. I also couldn't help but notice how quasi-incompetent the parents feel, after seeing how easily the first runaway goes in the pod, it's like... well, that's how easy it should be for these people every time. There simply isn't a need for two millionaires with corrupt cops in their pocket to go down to skid row and rassle with homeless guys. It's insane. It also underlines the mistake in trying to turn the parents, who are designed from the ground up to be super powerful bad guys, into full protagonists in their own right, because they really shouldn't have many problems.

The staff explanation also further suggests that it is not in continuity with the MCU, where we see Tina Minoru and the Staff being chosen from among magical relics, which are storages for extra-dimensional energy that can't be contained safely by a magic user. One could still split the difference with an explanation, but this is clearly not coordinated.

Last edited:
Another compromise exploration is there is something magic within the Staff, but the physical staff, including the mind reading portions and DNA reading parts are technological additions designed to help interface with the underlying object.

I know Molly is the youngest and a kid, but they don't need to make her annoying and such screw up.

I was catching vibes during the dressing scene that I was glad to have confirmed just before the 2 sisters walked in

Which made me think about how Korrasami was handled because I and most literally saw nothing between them or in the content of the written notes that made me think there was anything more than a friendship

while in this episode of runaway there was visual communication of it in the body language you can say "heteronormative lense" and I'm sure that is true to a large extent but I saw lesbian vibes here but not there ¯\_(?)_/¯

Is Doom Karolina's father? It seems as if they're hinting at that.

I don't think McMahon can play anything else other than villains.

Why have they been sacrificing teenagers all these years since McMahon first drew them into this cult?

It seemed as if they were recently making the sacrifices in order to provide him with energy to come back into full health and life. But he wasn't always in that state a few years ago. Why did they need to do it then?

And how many do they need to sacrifice? Is Doom's condition stable or will he begin withering again shortly, thereby needing to start off the sacrificial process again?

Is he an alien?

I assume his condition is not stable, which is why he requires the constant sacrifices and that he is an alien.

How did Doom get in such a deteriorated state though before that last sacrifice brought him back to full health? Why didn't the previous ones (eg the one in the first episode) replenish him? He seemed to be getting worse after the first one. How many does it take?

And if he's like this and is say, a Majesdanian, does that mean that Karolina will eventually become like this? Will she require sacrifices to stay alive too?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"