Metropolis

Discussion in 'Upcoming Superman Solo Movie' started by Sawyer, May 4, 2020.

1. Sawyer High King

Let’s visualize here. What should Metropolis look like this time around?

Personally, I think we’ve gotten more than enough licks in on Snyder, but there’s really no doubt to me that his Metropolis lacked character.

I want the City of Tomorrow, dammit.

BobJM, Deck Rickard and flickchick85 like this.
  2. flickchick85 Admin of Might

Where Gotham is all old architecture and Art Deco-y in my mind, Metropolis is primarily made up of much more modern buildings, and with more green space, sort of a Toronto/Singapore/Dubai supercity hybrid:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Just take the most unique buildings from each and combine those, basically lol. But keep plenty of the green space and water!

3. Silvermoth Krakoan native

I really like the idea of contrasting with Gotham by having a bright science fictiony optimistic feel to the place. Similar to Xander in Guardians of the Galaxy

[​IMG]

very Byrneish

4. STARMAN Rebel With A Cause

I want Metropolis to have some personality. It's usually so dull in the movies. Not everyone likes the set design of Superman Returns but at least it was more than your basic buildings which they are in the other Superman movies. Give me something modern, a touch futuristic, sleek, and bright.

5. Sawyer High King

Honestly, as much as I love Donner’s Superman, even that was a little bit like “Oh, okay, so this is basically just New York.”

flickchick85 and Deck Rickard like this.
  6. Calvin Ellis Kal-El of Earth 23

Personally I think it should look like a mix between Superman Returns and Man of Steel. I really loved the look of the city in those movies. Mainly because Metropolis is supposed to look like New York City or Washington D.C. or Philly, meaning timeless with a few updates here and there. Although I did like it's look during the B13 upgrade.

BobJM likes this.
  7. Deck Rickard Dovahkiin

Yeah I think Singapore mixed with Toronto and San Francisco is the way to go. Not so crazy that it literally looks like the future but slick enough that it signifies that this is the place where innovation happens. Honestly, none of the Superman films thus far have really given off that vibe. It just looked like New York or Chicago or some generic city.

Silvermoth and flickchick85 like this.
  8. Silvermoth Krakoan native

yeah I agree, I think in 2020 forward we can do better with showing Metropolis than just going for something new yorkish. Like, metropolis is as much a part of the story as Gotham or hogwarts or whatever

9. AverageMan Fighting for Average men

Sydney made for a good Metropolis is Superman Returns imo.

SuperRouth likes this.
  10. Boy Scout Registered

I’m partial to Dubai.

flickchick85 likes this.
  11. Jekecy Registered

It's a good baseline, but it looks fairly barren for a metropolis.

And sorely lacking in many skyscrapers, which seems wrong for a Superman movie.

Boy Scout likes this.
  12. flickchick85 Admin of Might

That’s why I said Dubai/Toronto/Singapore hybrid, lol. Just take Dubai and add buildings from the others to fill it out (and green space!).

Boy Scout likes this.
  13. BobJM Uncle Charlie

Would love to see Philadelphia get some love. It’s not as familiar a skyline to audiences as say maybe NYC or Chicago, which I think would lend itself well to a new iteration of Metropolis. Buildings like the Daily Planet or LexCorp can be CGI’d in, or actual buildings can be used as stand-ins (my recommendations are in the pics below). Regardless, the skyline itself should be modified with additional buildings.

I like the ‘city of tomorrow’ idea but would still prefer it grounded. Innovative architecture scattered throughout the city, but still an underlying historic aesthetic maintained—it’s a major metropolitan city with deep roots in American history & the global markets.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Real-life Philadelphia buildings for Metropolis landmarks:

#13 BobJM, Jun 2, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2020
    Silvermoth and Calvin Ellis like this.
  14. Silvermoth Krakoan native

yeah can’t use sydney now they would probably lock superman out after 10pm

15. Vaibow Registered

That first pic even has the scout ship debris covered over too!!

I was actually ok with that as New York to me back then was a cool, big old city.

Plus the new builds from the events of MOS, which back in 2013 = 8 years is enough to rebuild?/ Altho it can't look too different. Maybe if they showcase down town as rejuvenated with a modern twist that be good.

Gotham to me, in the Burton movies at least, the skyline looked painted and fake...

Sydney for returns was nice - Art Deco.

flickchick85 likes this.