Miami Vice

dpm07 said:
I am sure this will be a good movie. I would have preferred WILL Ferell though with Jamie Fox. Colin is on the slide since his fiasco with Alexander. Will Ferell is a hot property.

meh,will farrel's a one trick pony IMO and defiantely lacks the qualities that Crokett needs.I think collin will do well in this role you can't write a actor off for one film

hunter rider said:
meh,will farrel's a one trick pony IMO and defiantely lacks the qualities that Crokett needs.I think collin will do well in this role you can't write a actor off for one film

I haven't seen "Melinda & Melinda" yet, as Woody Allen is hit or miss for me, usually, but supposedly Farrell makes a very good turn in that film, showing a lot of depth. I think people underestimate Will Farrell, just like they did Jim Carrey when he was trying to break away from the Ace Ventura persona that really got him noticed on film. I think he's going to surprise people in the future.

jag

hunter rider said:
I agree with you on that, I don't think Will has what it takes to play Crokett. I think Colin is pretty good for the role. Hunter, what were those shots we saw of Colin we saw climbing out of the boat and what not? The article says shooting starts in May?

That-Guy said:
I'd rather see a Vice City movie personally. It would be more fun. Michael Mann is SOOOOO overrated as a director.
I hope that is sarcasim!

darkdonnie said:
I agree with you on that, I don't think Will has what it takes to play Crokett. I think Colin is pretty good for the role. Hunter, what were those shots we saw of Colin we saw climbing out of the boat and what not? The article says shooting starts in May?

that was from the rehersal footage

Well, since Mann is the original creator/director of the series It should be in good hands. If anyone should know about what gave that series it's heart and soul, it should be him.

as long as Crockett has the alligator "Elvis" on his boat, I'm fine with this movie....

Wait a min, is it colin farrel in this movie or will farrel???

MIAMI VICE Casting News

Elizabeth Rodriguez, sister of director Robert Rodriguez, is set to join Jamie Foxx and Colin Farrell in Miami Vice. Rodriguez had played character roles in TV series such as ER, Third Watch, and Six Feet Under. Also cast in the film are Naomie Harris, Gong Li, and Ciaran Hinds. The film is being written and directed by Michael Mann.
Colin Farrell will play Det. James "Sonny" Crockett and Jamie Foxx will play Det. Ricardo Tubbs in the big screen adaptation of hit '80s cop drama. In the movie, they face a transnational criminal enterprise whose leader and chief financial officer is of Chinese/Cuban origin (Gong Li). The original series, created by Anthony Yerkovich and executive produced by Michael Mann, starred Don Johnson as Crockett and Philip Michael Thomas as Tubbs.

miamivicelogo1.JPG

Screenplay by Michael Mann
Based on "Miami Vice" created by Anthony Yerkovich

1st draft. 9/22/04 104 pages

The Miami of the 80's, that twilight-zone frontier built on coke-fueled cash flow, is over. The frontier development stage is passed. It has BECOME Casablanca. Anything goes; everything has a price.
And that pretty much sets the stage for the film out from 80's pop culture tv show to a modern day contemporary crime film. And a very good one at that. Most of the T.V. shows from back in the day being made into movies today come out over the top and corny. Not this one. It will stand out. Mann is in top form here. Having the eye for detail, the first draft of Miami Vice reads like a police manual. Full of prose and detail. If you never seen the T.V. show, not to worry. It is not necessary here. This is not an origin film like the pilot episode when Tubbs is a cop from New York down in Miami investigating a murder. In this draft Tubbs and Crockett are already partners. Who is in it from the old show?

Crockett and Tubbs of course. Gina Calabrese (who is romantically involved with Tubbs and plays a major role in the story), Trudy Joplin (WHO IS NOT ROMANTICALLY INVOLVED AS ERRONEOUSLY REPORTED ON ANOTHER WEBSITE), Switek, Zito, and Lt. Castillio.

cfarrell.jpg
I will try to keep it spoiler free as possible but Crockett's love interest is ISABELLA, Afro Cuban. She also has a major arc in the story, which I won't divulge.

Spoiler Warning!

Here is the basic setup of the film:​

ALONZO STEVENS is a CI (confidential informant) for Tubbs whose wife and kid are brutally murdered by these Aryan Brotherhood Nazi Low Rider White Supremacist Types bad guys. Upon hearing the bad news after Crockett and Tubbs intercept him, Stevens committs suicide (INCITING INCIDENT). Because Stevens thought that the goons would let his wife and kid go, he gave up a bunch of FEDS who work undercover as Russian gangsters. The Aryan Brotherhood (bad guys) cream the Feds posing as Russian Gangsters. It becomes personal for Tubbs because he had a thing with Steven's wife before Alonzo hooked up with her. The Feds operational security is blown. There is a mole. Miami Dade PD wasn't involved in the Joint Interagency Task Force of JIT for short. THE CALL TO ADVENTURE: AGENT JAMES FUGIMA of the FBI intervenes --

FUJIMA
But Miami PD wasn't part of the J.I.T. And from what Alonzo said, he didn't give you up.

CROCKETT
So what do you want?

FUJIMA
To recruit you

CASTILLO
...I didn't want you around the crime scene because it's crawling with federal law enforcement. We don't know who's straight up, who's not...

CROCKETT
Recruit us to do what?

FUJIMA
Get into business with this crew, identify them. Illuminate their network. If you're lucky, discover their source, how they penetrated us. We'll indict and take it from there...

In order to do that, Crockett and Tubbs have to infiltrate, build trust and drop loads for a Colombian Drug network run by a cat named (and as a Latino I think this name is very unrealistically corny) Archangel de Jesus Montoya-Londono from the North Valle area.​

It is very dangerous. Later in the scene --

FUJIMA
You need to consider a few issues.

CASTILLO
(to Crockett + Tubbs)
...you'd be operating outside territorial United States. Your badges do not count. You have no authorization to carry weapons. If you're busted, it could take a long time to get you re-patriated. And there's no backup...
(To Fujima)
And you will share with them all your Intel on Montoya...

When Fujima leaves the scene --​

CASTILLO
(To Tubbs)
About the Stevens family, I'm sorry. I know you were close to them.

TUBBS
I was the kids' godfather.

CASTILLO
(intuits)
And...?

TUBBS
"And" what?

CASTILLO
I got to know. There is never any room for "personal"...

CROCKETT
(for Tubbs)
He is fine. And we know the jokes. When it gets vengeful, things get messy. When they get messy the wrong people die...
(beat)
Everybody gets it.

CASTILLO
Good.

TUBBS
And the answer is "yes."
(beat)
Before she met Alonzo, once upon a time, a long time ago.
(beat)
You bet it was personal.

jfoxx.jpg
Oh **** look out because here comes Crockett and Tubbs!​

Two other players other than Montoya that will fit into the story later that we meet in La Perla district of San Juan Puerto Rico --​

JOSE "COCHI LOCO" YERO

He's a former right-wing Colombian paramilitary from the North Valle near the Pacific coast. He runs operations, communications, and security. He has cold eyes in a corpulent face. He's notorious for using torture to ferret-out informants.​

Later in the scene --

As Crockett sits, he notices that at a table a few to the side is a woman. This is ISABELLA. Behind glasses, she seems immobile, filled with intelligence, well-dressed in subdued Tom Ford and staring at him. Reading him. Crockett holds the look that extra beat and turns back to business...

Who is Isabella besides the love interest to Crockett and what does she do and how she fits in to the story?

jamie_foxx-mm.jpg
Well ya'll gonna have to find out and go see the movie. I pretty much gave you what I think you are gonna see in a trailer for this movie later in the year.

But the description and the action are that densely written as the character descriptions above. Mann has an eye for detail. He just doesn't write bullets, he writes what's kind of bullets and millimeters. He goes into details on police procedural, tactics, firearms, drugs, and the works. The structure is tight and the story moves pretty fast. The script is a fast 104 pages. There isn't much of a character arc but there is a love story in there. Aryan Brother hood and Colombian bad guys. Looks like Crockett and Tubbs are in over their heads, and trust me they are. The story is very much in the vein of Mann's other crime stories like Thief and Heat.

Overall, a good and entertaining read

Eh, I like Michael Mann, dont mind Farrell, Foxx is sort of overrated in my opinion but I'm just feeling no excitment for a Miami Vice movie at all. Maybe a trailer will eventually change my mind.

I heard about this a while back and a British paper printed a picture of Colin Farell as Crockett, in a white suit and with longer hair than his usual style. He had enough hair to have some of it pinned back. I think Jamie Foxx is amazing and I've only been a fan of Colin for a few months, wasn't interested in him when everyone was like Colin this Colin that. For us ladies the pairing of Colin and Jamie is gooooddd!

i smell bad boys all over this movie, but its juts gonna be more likely sex appeal.

Will Smith - Sex appeal!!! But Colin and Jamie is a double whammy, well for me anyway...

The Storm said:
Will Smith - Sex appeal!!! But Colin and Jamie is a double whammy, well for me anyway...

jamie sex appeal? if you say so. you dont like martin lawrence?

dpm07 said:
I am sure this will be a good movie. I would have preferred WILL Ferell though with Jamie Fox. Colin is on the slide since his fiasco with Alexander. Will Ferell is a hot property.

Eh... I think with Will Ferrel and Jamie Fox we'd just be getting Starsky and Hutch set in the 80's...

And I don't really think it's Mann that's overrated, it's Collateral. It was a good movie and all, but Jamie Foxx wasn't as good in it as everyone thinks. Cruise was, though.

phantomstranger said:
Hollywood has compleatly run out of ideas

How so? Michael Mann is making a big screen version of the show he created...This isn't a Hollywood re-hash.

Mr. Credible said:
Eh... I think with Will Ferrel and Jamie Fox we'd just be getting Starsky and Hutch set in the 80's...

And I don't really think it's Mann that's overrated, it's Collateral. It was a good movie and all, but Jamie Foxx wasn't as good in it as everyone thinks. Cruise was, though.
I disagree, Foxx and Cruise was equally good:)

TheDevilwithin said:
jamie sex appeal? if you say so. you dont like martin lawrence?

I think there is something sexy about Jamie Foxx and Martin Lawrence is cute.

Whoever says this idea is not original is a friggin' tard. This is Michael Mann's baby, he created Miami Vice.

This may be good. Show kicked ass.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/topnews.php?id=10156

Source: Las Horas Perdidas
June 24, 2005

luistosar.jpg

Las Horas Perdidas tells us that Spanish actor Luis Tosar has landed the role of villain Arcángel de Jesús Montoya in director Michael Mann's Miami Vice, which Universal Pictures will release on July 28, 2006.

A good friend of Javier Bardem since both actors starred in Mondays in the Sun, Tosar has won multiple awards: Best Spanish Actor in 2003 for Take My Eyes (film is the reason for Mann's selection of Tosar), Best Actor at the San Sebastian Film Festibal for the same role and Best Supporting Actor for Mondays in the Sun.

In the big screen version of the '80s cop drama, Colin Farrell will play Det. James "Sonny" Crockett and Jamie Foxx will play Det. Ricardo Tubbs. They face a transnational criminal enterprise whose leader and chief financial officer is of Chinese/Cuban origin (Gong Li).

Naomi Harris, Ciaran Hinds, Elizabeth Rodriguez and John Ortiz also star.

Email Story to a Friend | Discuss on the Boards

Interesting choice, i really haven't seen him before!

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"