DC TV Series Michael B. Jordan Developing Val Zod Limited Series For HBO Max

Discussion in 'DC Comics TV' started by Detective Conan, Jul 23, 2021.

1. Detective Conan Registered

Exclusive: Michael B. Jordan Developing His Own Black Superman Project for HBO Max

[​IMG]

#1 Detective Conan, Jul 23, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2021
    Lencho01, Slick and Calvin Ellis like this.
  2. Joined:
    Mar 6, 2015
  3. Primal Slayer Let the Siren scream

I loved Val Zod. If this gets made then they should definitely include Powergirl and Helena Wayne.

Calvin Ellis likes this.
  4. Calvin Ellis Retired

Dick Grayson too as the new Batman.

5. Superchan Registered

While I don't know much about Val Zod, I am all for this, instead of race changing characters just bring already existing ones and give them their time in the sun. I never understood why they race change characters like Jimmy (in Supergirl and the new Superman animated series) instead of bringing in a character like Ron Troupe whose never been given the time of day. Needless to say I am still hoping that JJ's Superman is Calvin Ellis and not a tokenized Clark Kent.

signalman and Kev4000 like this.
  6. Primal Slayer Let the Siren scream

Ron is a reporter just like Lois. Downgrading him to young photographer who is teamed with Lois wouldnt make sense. And The Daily Planet has 1 black reporter? wow, still with a whole team of white people. You can both of them and still have Jimmy be black. What they did in Supergirl though was give Jimmy a whole new personality and nothing resembling the character which is a waste.

Bruce has 3 white Robins and Damien who is mostly portrayed to be White...if you racebend one of them, it isnt a bad thing.
    [​IMG]

7. danlav05 Registered

I hope this happens!

8. Calvin Ellis Retired

Val-Zod is pretty much the outcome of the Knightmare storyline. In Earth-2 Superman, Batman & Wonder Woman were able to stop Darkseid attack but Lois died during the battle as well as Batman and Wonder Woman. Later on Darkseid attacks again this time with an evil clone of Superman and captures the Earth and Powergirl, Val-Zod (who thinks of himself as an El since he was raised as an older brother to Kal-El after his parents died on Krypton and was sent off the same time as Kal to Earth.) and the rest of the Earth-2 heroes rise up to stop him and save Earth. Although Val always prefers nonvoloenice.

9. Superchan Registered

Yeah you missed the whole point of my message, don't race bend characters, instead bring already existing ones who were never given the light of day e.g. Ron Troupe or Franklin Stern. And if there are no minority characters and people feel the need to fill a "quota" then create new characters, heck that's why Timm and Co. created Angela Chen, instead of just brining in Cat Grant.
    Also, I never said Ron should be a photographer because nowadays all Lois needs is to take our her cellphone and take a photo, not to mention that being a photographer isn't necessarily a downgrade, Ron could be a photojournalist (they do exist) or he could be a veteran journalist like Robbie Robertson from Spider-man who grew up in Suicide Slump and shows Clark/superman that fighting robots and aliens is all good and well but there are other problems like drugs, poor housing, lack of jobs, crime, suicide etc....that Superman can't simply punch.

I don't care if Batman has 10 Robins and I wouldn't care if they're all pasty white, if a writer feels that the Batman family needs more color then give Luke and Lucious Fox more to do or -going back to my original point - create a brand new fourth Robin who is black, Asian etc.....
    Expand these characters' universes by adding new ones, good ones with a purpose and not just a token minority / race bent character to satisfy cancel culture.

10. Superchan Registered

Hmmmmmm....sounds good, do you recommend any particular issues with Val Zod in 'em?

11. Primal Slayer Let the Siren scream

Racebending isn't an issue when 90% of your characters are white. Would you rather they not have Jimmy, Tim, any character ever show up just so they can create a brand new character?

"We won't racebend Dick so we'll just ignore him all together"

It's like saying "we shouldnt have Supergirl or Batgirl, just make a brand new superhero who isnt a female version of the male superhero" Doesnt work that way, not how IPs operate.

Marvel should've just ignored Nick Fury.

12. Calvin Ellis Retired

Whole New 52 Earth-2 series is great because you see where it leads up to. He & Earth-2 Batman really should've gotten a solo comic. As well as Earth-2 GL. Won't spoil it for you but it is truly a great but tragic series. Especially if you're a Superman fan.

#12 Calvin Ellis, Jul 24, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2021
    Primal Slayer likes this.
  13. Superchan Registered

:ebr: Ok, can you please read my posts a little more carefully, I said "don't race bend characters, instead create new ones" but I did not say "don't race bend characters, instead create new ones AND ignore the existing white ones" so please stop putting words in my mouth.
    Have Jimmy, Dick Grayson (my 2nd favorite comicbook character), Tim etc.....but if you want to bring in a minority character, then bring in an existing minority character e.g. Ron Troupe or create a new one e.g. Angela Chen, Luke Fox. Simple.

We're talking about racebending, not derivative characters, which is another topic all together. I personally have no problems with derivative characters, heck Babs Gordon is my favorite female comicbook character and she is the perfect example of a derivative, yet distinct character. The same goes for Cassandra Cane, Matrix Supergirl and new 52 supergirl.

14. Boy Scout Registered

Weird - but not in a bad way - that we’re getting two black Superman projects in active development at the same time. I would’ve preferred a series about Calvin but I can understand why they’d want to avoid President Superman. I hope MBJ will star.

Lencho01, Calvin Ellis and danlav05 like this.
  15. danlav05 Registered

Now we know Val-Zod is coming I now want Calvin Ellis as well lmao. Maybe some day?

Btu I'm excited, this is a big new phase for Superman on screen

Boy Scout likes this.
  16. Filmfreak Registered

I doubt we'll see both Val-Zod and black Clark Kent projects, but we'll see.

17. Pennywise Registered

Heat Vision

Lencho01 likes this.
  18. Primal Slayer Let the Siren scream

Im not putting words in your mouth, im asking if they said "we wont racebend X,y,z, instead we will create a new character and not use the existing character " would you rather that.

Tim Burton wanted to introduce a black Dick Grayson, so would you rather they ignore him all together?

19. Superchan Registered

If they said to me "it's either a racebent Grayson or no Grayson at all" then my answer would be NO Grayson at all, any day and everyday. I hate that woke s**t, if they want to be "inclusive" then be inclusive by bringing in already existing minority characters or go create one and give them ample time to develop a semblance of a character that audience might give a damn about.
    If someone wants to tell a nightwing story and include a minority character in it then no problem, you can have Bridget Clancy who is Irish of Chinese descend or Bea who is an African American bartender/ limited time girlfried of Grayson's. Bring such characters in and make them co-stars and give them tons of development.

20. Eddie Dean Jokerfied

Ok then…

WatchProtect likes this.
  21. Primal Slayer Let the Siren scream

.....ok.

Well I guess I am glad that this "woke shirt" has been around since the days of the OG batman series.

WatchProtect likes this.
  22. DarkKnight Registered

YES!!!! I love Michael B Jordan and Val Zod is a great character and great Superman for him to play. I admittingly can say while I do know a bit about Val and his mythos, I'm not as up to date as say Kal-El because I've had 30 plus years of knowing and loving Kal. But I have read some Val Superman comics and really enjoyed them.

Also, as someone that is on record here on the hype of expressing my dislike of race changing simply to do so to A-list characters with Generations of established character descriptions remaining the same. I love this and this is how I would fully support and fully embrace this type of change to Superman.

Calvin Ellis likes this.
  23. mace1 Registered

Most characters in dc or other comicbook companies have been not 90% white in awhile now,so that outdated,plus some characters are alien looking or robots etc..

There have been have lot poc characters created overtime plus there lionforge for example, a new comicbook company where most of the characters are poc.

White characters just like poc characters are shown a handful at time anyway and most white characters are not shown at the same time because there are too many of them just like there are too many poc characters these days.

In fact i read awhile ago that black characters in dc and marvel are overrepresented in mainstream u.s. comics like dc and marvel for example these.

Remember their are youtube channels where you see comments saying their is too much diversity in the big two comics and even other u.s. comics like image,idw etc..
    You know the types,go woke go broke non-sense types.

Now when it comes to Damian Wayne,i have not read much seen much art of him but most of the art i seen of so far him show him as intermediate race type(brown) and once in awhile some times white.

#23 mace1, Aug 2, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2021
  24. Pennywise Registered

25. Primal Slayer Let the Siren scream

Hopefully they adapt the E2 comic.