Michael J. Fox Plans Return with New Comedy Series

Shifty

Chief of Surgery
Reaction score
Vulture:
Networks in a ‘Feeding Frenzy’ Over New Michael J. Fox Comedy Series
By Josef Adalian

Michael J. Fox is readying a return to prime-time series television, and the broadcast networks are lining up to welcome him back. Vulture hears the iconic star of Family Ties and the Back to the Future trilogy has teamed with director Will Gluck (Easy A) and writer Sam Laybourne (Cougar Town, Arrested Development) on a single-camera comedy project that's being developed by Sony Pictures Television for a 2013 launch.

We're still trying to track down plot details, but our sources tell us the show will be inspired by Fox's own life. All four major network chiefs have heard the pitch, and two industry sources — using phrases such as "feeding frenzy" and "bidding war" — tell us it's now just a matter of which network will offer the most attractive deal to Fox, Gluck, and Sony. Our spies say the project will, at the very least, get an automatic pilot production commitment; there's even industry buzz about one network offering to go straight to series, something that hardly ever happens in broadcast TV anymore.

The extraordinary interest isn't as surprising, since Fox has had two big hit sitcoms and has maintained a strong connection with audiences over three decades (i.e., you'll never find him in a 'Child Stars of the Eighties: Where Are They Now' feature in People magazine). Trying to figure out where the potential Fox show will land is tough, however, since there are compelling reasons for all four of them. Fox has his most recent history with CBS, having appeared in (and gotten himself Emmy-nominated) for multiple episodes of The Good Wife. But he's also done successful shows for NBC (Family Ties) and ABC (Spin City). As for Rupert Murdoch's broadcaster, well, c'mon: Fox on Fox practically writes itself.

He's been in outstanding in all the guest spots he's done since Spin City ended. With comedy back big time on the networks its the perfect time to come back! He's done single camera comedy guest spots on Scrubs and Curb Your Enthusiasm (how awesome was that episode?) but a multi-camera show would be a much easier schedule to work full time, so I'm a bit surprised it is single. That may rule out CBS but given the star power and it not allowing the other 3 networks from landing him CBS could order the comedy to series.

Last edited:
FOX will be kicking themselves if they don't land this. Michael J. Fox on FOX?!.... that practically markets itself. :o

I'm not sure I like this. It might be too much on his body to maintain the schedule he'd have to follow. Don't get me wrong, I'd watch it, I just wouldn't be surprised if he had to graciously bow out during production or mid season.

Would it be really, really, wrong of me to make a joke about how ironic it is that Fox's new show is going to be in the shakey-cam format? :(

Would it be really, really, wrong of me to make a joke about how ironic it is that Fox's new show is going to be in the shakey-cam format? :(

uhh... yeah... naughtynaughty... *wags finger at you*

I'm not sure I like this. It might be too much on his body to maintain the schedule he'd have to follow. Don't get me wrong, I'd watch it, I just wouldn't be surprised if he had to graciously bow out during production or mid season.

I think he knows better than anyone what he can and can't handle. And if he thinks this is something he can do...hell yes, let it happen! :awesome:

If you have to ask if it's wrong, it probably is.

I think he knows better than anyone what he can and can't handle. And if he thinks this is something he can do...hell yes, let it happen! :awesome:

I won't say anymore, but I have worked as a therapist and worked with folks with Parkinson's and various debilitating ailments. I hope for the best for him.

Anything wih MJ Fox sounds good.

His show could help rebuild NBC's Thursday lineup or they can shore up their Tuesday or Wednesday lineups.

They're already starting 'family' comedies this fall with The New Normal, Animal Practice, Guys with Kids, 1600 Penn and maybe Go On along with a revamped Up All Night. Plus the Dwight Schrute spinoff, The Farm, will be more family focused if it gets picked up. That's 8 comedies already plus Save Me, Next Caller, Whitney, Community, Parks and Recreation and The Office. Though the last two may be the only ones returning next fall.

NBC Thursdays could be in unrecognizable next year.

It would be awesome if it ended up on Thursdays at 8:30. That's the old time slot for Family Ties.

Larry David needs to cameo in the new series. :awesome:

It would be awesome if it ended up on Thursdays at 8:30. That's the old time slot for Family Ties.

Next season marks the 30th anniversary of Family Ties moving from Wednesdays at 9:30 to Thursdays at 8:30.

This time Fox's show will likely be in the 8:00 or 9:00 slot with the hopes they can recreate what The Cosby Show did for them, establishing four comedies and as some of the top shows of the week.

I totally want to break out my Family Ties DVDs now...

Nonsense. Michael J. Fox is timeless. :o

NBC is just following Les Moonves' strategy of bringing back old stars (Bill Cosby, Ted Danson) to help bring eyeballs back to the network (Fox, Matthew Perry) while establishing new hits with new talent.

I've never really seen Family Ties but I watched Spin City and loved Back to the Future. It will be the most hyped show next fall, just like every media site/blog has an opinion about this deal now it will be intensified.

I am looking forward to this, all jokes aside. This is increasingly sounding like something that could fill the Arrested Development void that's been missing on the TV scene for a long time.

Yes, it's true younger viewers won't know who the eff Michael J Fox is. It doesn't matter, this show isn't targeting them. It's targetting Gen X-ers, people with jobs, disposable income and who still watch TV on TV sets.

To be honest, the Millenial generation isn't that great of a market to go after anymore, if you're a TV executive. Consider that:

- This is a generation more likely to get their electronic leisure exposure from video games, texting and internet/social media than any other before it
- When they do watch TV, they're more likely to watch it on media that doesn't figure into the traditional TV business model
- They won't buy anything they can't get for free, or cheaper, somewhere else
- This generation is going to be poor, sadly. The worst US job market since the Great Depression is a huge setback, and you're looking at a generation overall that isn't going to start earning serious money until they are 30 or older

Exactly. Me and my friends grew up with Family Ties on TV every week, and going from the responses I've seen from us geezers (we're all in our late 30s now) is how great this will be. One of my friends posted about the new show on Facebook the other night with "Does this mean I'll actually have a reason to watch TV again?"

I'll bet money that this gets paired with Go On next fall. Two former NBC stars. One show of a man dealing with the loss of his wife, the other of a family dealing with their father's illness. Perfect fit.

http://www.deadline.com/2012/12/wen...ael-j-foxs-nbc-series-produced-by-will-gluck/
Wendell Pierce To Co-Star In Michael J. Fox’s NBC Series Produced By Will Gluck
By NELLIE ANDREEVA

With Treme wrapping production on its five-episode fourth and final season, co-star Wendell Pierce has set up his next regular series gig – a co-starring role opposite Michael J. Fox on Fox’s NBC comedy series, which has a 22-episode order for a fall 2013 launch. The single-camera comedy, from Sony Pictures TV and Will Gluck’s company, is inspired by Fox’s real life and stars him as Mike Burnaby, a husband and father of three in New York City juggling the challenges of family and career while dealing with Parkinson’s Disease. Former lead anchor for a local station in New York City, Mike decides to go back to work after Parkinson’s forced him to take time off. Pierce will play Mike’s boss Harris, a slick, twice divorced man. I hear Pierce was actually the prototype for the role. The series was vo-created by Sam Laybourne (Cougar Town) and Will Gluck, with Gluck expected to direct the pilot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"