Michael Mann’s Ferrari

Mesut-Ozil.jpg

Michael Mann's amazing. The Last of the Mohicans, Heat, The Insider, Ali, and Collateral are all masterpieces to me. Beautiful imagery and sound design, as well as subtle leading performances.

Now, once Mann moved from film to digital photography, his films became less and less visually appealing. There is a lot of digital noise in his present compositions and the gorgeous, stationary framing - particularly evident in The Last of the Mohicans and Heat - are almost completely absent in his present works. It's hard to believe that the same director, who made the above masterpieces, also made the terrible Blackhat.

Also, he largely has great taste in sound and atmosphere, except for Miami Vice's use of the "In the Air Tonight" cover (ruined the climax entirely).

I will always be excited for a Mann film, but I hope that I'm not burned as badly as I was with Blackhat. That thing was a mess. I think I understand where Mann was going with that film. Mann, who is largely known for his crime films, wanted the audience to re-assess his version of a criminal. Instead of the lead character taking the DeNiro, Cruise, or Depp hands-on approach to criminality, the character is a modern-day hacker. It plays with audiences' expectations of a Mann criminal, the costume designers even dress Hemsworth like a typical Mann antagonist (slicked back hair, grey suit, etc). However, it lacks the realism of his older films, the digital photography is distractingly bad, the plot is complicated, etc.

Fingers crossed.

The Last of the Mohicans and Heat are masterpieces, but I haven't been especially impressed with anything else he's done.

Completely disagree about Mann's digital photography. It looks amazing.

Manhunter is by far my fav Mann film.

Rubini's score is amazing. :hmr:

[YT]Dmj1Qvude24[/YT]

Completely disagree about Mann's digital photography. It looks amazing.

Collateral is beautiful. Miami Vice and Public Enemies have a lot of great visual moments.

I thought Blackhat largely looked terrible. The final gunfight was gorgeous but mainly due to the scene's setting.

Last edited:
Manhunter is by far my fav Mann film.

Rubini's score is amazing. :hmr:

[YT]Dmj1Qvude24[/YT]

I have to catch Mann's 80s films. I've only watched his stuff from Last of the Mohicans.

I don't mind Miami Vice but it should've been so much better with the talent involved.

Collateral is beautiful. Miami Vice and Public Enemies have a lot of great visual moments.

I thought Blackhat largely looked terrible. The final gunfight was gorgeous but mainly due to the scene's setting.

tumblr_nr3ogu7DCj1qfn8qfo1_500.png

tumblr_nr3ogu7DCj1qfn8qfo3_500.png

tumblr_nol70uFHaz1tfy8cqo4_500.jpg

I don't mind Miami Vice but it should've been so much better with the talent involved.

Same here. I loved the ending with Mogwai's 'Auto Rock' playing. Gives me goosebumps every time.

[YT]ZtfkymtavUE[/YT]

You didn't list the greatest Italian:

618_movies_rocky_10.jpg

I forgot that of course. It'd just be nice if there were more positive modern ones besides Rocky. The goal for all representation is to have more than just a few, but a huge variety that can break through.

Let Columbus the genocidal gold hungry explorer go - he didn't even land in the U.S.. If you want to embrace Italy there's Michelangelo, da Vinci, Botticelli, Dante, Eco, Boccaccio, Verdi, Puccini, Vivaldi and on and on... And for the US well Wiki can help you find Italian American architects, athletes, artists, businessmen including the inventor of the Jacuzzi and the man who founded and ran the company that created the first pacemaker.

You're right I'm not denying any of those, I meant more in terms of modern examples in and in terms of how present day American pop culture sees Italians as more negative stereotypes and caricatures. The gangster stuff is a lot more prominent.

I forgot that of course. It'd just be nice if there were more positive modern ones besides Rocky. The goal for all representation is to have more than just a few, but a huge variety that can break through.

I'm Greek, all I've got to represent me on screen is men in leather thongs.

In terms of positive, Christopher Walken in True Romance? :woot:

His last couple of flicks weren't good at all, but Mohicans, Manhunter, Heat, Collateral, Ali, The Insider and Collateral are all great flicks. Even Miami Vice works after a few rewatches.

I enjoyed Miami Vice and Public Enemies. Sure, they could have been much better, but I'm a sucker for Mann's gunfight scenes. :hmr: Haven't seen Blackhat yet, though.

I loved TLotM's ending. The background music, even though it didn't really fit with the setting, was so damn beautiful with the stunning visuals.

[YT]ifHuX3xuCwg[/YT]

Last edited:
Michael Mann is one of my favorite directors ever. I pretty much love every movie he's made, including Miami Vice and Blackhat - I think those two in particular are misunderstood masterpieces.

Thank's Kv look's like a long read. 20 year HEAT reunion as well.

Oh my god, he might actually shoot this on film.

PLEASE, MANN, PLEASE.

I hate, hate, HATE Mann's digital look. Its looks so unbelievably amateur I still can't believe me eyes. It's so painful to watch it's one of the many reasons why I can't sit through a Mann film. With film at least it will look less horrible depending how he lights it. Heat is still the best thing he's ever shot though.

Came here because I read Mann might switch back to film for this. Thank the flippin' lawd.

Christian Bale-Starrer ‘Enzo Ferrari’ gets funding, @ParamountPics distribution deal http://tinyurl.com/nep5wkz

Paramount Pictures has signed on to distribute in most world territories Enzo Ferrari, the Michael Mann-directed drama on a pivotal year in the life of the Italian auto magnate that will star Christian Bale. The film is now set for a summer 2016 shoot in Italy, with funding from Vendian Entertainment and YooZoo Bliss Film Fund. Vincent Maraval’s Insiders will sell at the upcoming AFM the world territories not spoken for in this Paramount deal. As part of its funding deal, YooZoo Pictures will distribute Enzo Ferrari in China.

Noomi Rapace has come aboard to star opposite Christian Bale, who will play Enzo Ferrari, the Italian auto mogul. Rapace would play Farrari’s wife, Laura Dominica. http://thr.cm/ChWNxa

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"