Michael Mann’s Ferrari

Fallen Angel

Earth Bound
Reaction score
Christian Bale to star in Michael Mann’s ‘Ferrari’ film http://ow.ly/Ra245

Christian Bale has said yes to playing Italian car magnate Enzo Ferrari in the long awaited film by director Michael Mann. The picture, which will shoot next summer, isn’t set up just yet. But as we ponder the films up for grabs at the upcoming Telluride, Toronto and Venice Film Festivals, is there a more desirable presale property right now than Ferrari, with Mann and Bale driving the vehicle?

Mann has been working under the hood of this film for close to 15 years, at one time in partnership with the late director Sydney Pollack. It is a real passion project for the director and is exactly the kind of picture he should be making. The film takes place in 1957, a year where passion, failure, success and death and life all collided. Several actresses circling the female lead as a love story is a big part of the picture.

I am sure the female role will be underwritten. I am sure she will be just a trophy and mission for the male to accomplish. I hope not but it's Mann.

Is this still considered white washing? There are so many great italian actors out there, but I have no beef with this casting to be honest. Bale went from egyptian to italian. LAwd.

As a complete Italian I'd be considered white. There's really no Italian check box on job applications. Though I see your point. I could be wrong, but I don't know of any connections between the Welsh and Italians. Though not all Italians are dark haired and olive skinned. I'm not. I actually look more Irish. So I don't see much of a problem.

And this was a good idea but now that Mann's directing it this might as well be ruined. I don't care if Bale's in it, Public Enemies sucked.

Last edited:
I'm skeptical after Blackhat. That was boring as bad place.

Yeah I had some people walk out of movie

As a complete Italian I'd be considered white. There's really no Italian check box on job applications. Though I see your point. I could be wrong, but I don't know of any connections between the Welsh and Italians. Though not all Italians are dark haired and olive skinned. I'm not. I actually look more Irish. So I don't see much of a problem.

And this was a good idea but now that Mann's directing it this might as well be ruined. I don't care if Bale's in it, Public Enemies sucked.

In a perfect film world this would be made in italian with italian based actors tho, but I get you. This would be like the french making a film bout Henry Ford or some **** like that, but without the hollywood washing, it would probably never be made as well. I like Bale in anything. I'm good. :cwink:

This is the part of anthropology that I find fascinating. Some would say Persians are consider white. I've met Mexicans from Mexico who have the fairest skin, that at first glance, you'd think they're from Northern Europe.

I live in a part of LA with a lot of Armenians, and they are technically white, but if I didn't know any better, I would think that they're middle eastern. Like when I see Kim Kardasian, I don't think of a white person even though, DNA-wise, she is.

I also a lot of people who are half Italian, half Mexican and that's due to very similar backgrounds (Catholic, the strong bond between families)

Is this still considered white washing? There are so many great italian actors out there, but I have no beef with this casting to be honest. Bale went from egyptian to italian. LAwd.

He'll keep his tan.

Oscar Isaac would've been a more interesting choice.

In a perfect film world this would be made in italian with italian based actors tho, but I get you. This would be like the french making a film bout Henry Ford or some **** like that, but without the hollywood washing, it would probably never be made as well. I like Bale in anything. I'm good. :cwink:

Absolutely I agree with you. As an Italian American, there aren't much Italians in pop culture besides Frank Sinatra and gangsters or Italians playing gangsters. Just go into an Italian restaurant or pizza place for God's sake. It's like they've surrendered to it by this point. It's why we prize Christopher Columbus so much, controversy be damned, it's still important history for us and everybody else. So to see Italians in a more positive light is always a good thing and of course getting a real Italian would have helped.

Though by the time we see Bale in that trailer, I'd have thought he was born Italian probably.

Last edited:
Casting actors who look like their real history counterpart be damned.

RBUYFQg.jpg

Well, I mean.... who even looks like that? I mean, I guess someone could always dust off that E.T. puppet. :o

I loved Bale in Public Enemies, but he was more of an audience anchor. I'd love to see Bale get full reign as the lead in a Mann film. Even if it's a subject matter I don't fully have interest in.

Absolutely I agree with you. As an Italian American, there aren't much Italians in pop culture besides Frank Sinatra and gangsters or Italians playing gangsters.

You didn't list the greatest Italian:

618_movies_rocky_10.jpg

wait I thought Pacino was gonna be Enzo in a movie maybe a different one by a different director?

Absolutely I agree with you. As an Italian American, there aren't much Italians in pop culture besides Frank Sinatra and gangsters or Italians playing gangsters. Just go into an Italian restaurant or pizza place for God's sake. It's like they've surrendered to it by this point. It's why we prize Christopher Columbus so much, controversy be damned, it's still important history for us and everybody else. So to see Italians in a more positive light is always a good thing and of course getting a real Italian would have helped.

Though by the time we see Bale in that trailer, I'd have thought he was born Italian probably.

Let Columbus the genocidal gold hungry explorer go - he didn't even land in the U.S.. If you want to embrace Italy there's Michelangelo, da Vinci, Botticelli, Dante, Eco, Boccaccio, Verdi, Puccini, Vivaldi and on and on... And for the US well Wiki can help you find Italian American architects, athletes, artists, businessmen including the inventor of the Jacuzzi and the man who founded and ran the company that created the first pacemaker.

This is the part of anthropology that I find fascinating. Some would say Persians are consider white.I've met Mexicans from Mexico who have the fairest skin, that at first glance, you'd think they're from Northern Europe.

Persians have been classified as Caucasoid. The problem with classification according to race is race is a man made construct and that construct varies dependent on era, scientific theory, nationalism and racism.

Mexican is a nationality, not an ethnicity with a sizable population descended from Europe from their time of conquest by Spain and rule by Emperor Maximilian who was German and installed by France. It is ethnically diverse like most of the Americas.

Last edited:
This reminds me of the fassbender/Steve jobs talk.

Fassbender might not look the part but he'll definitely out act Ashton kutcher

As for bale. I don't know. I picture his Italian accent as a bad version "that's a spicy meatball"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"