Microsoft 2014 E3 Press Conference

Benstamania

Go away.
Reaction score
Sony has one.. but we've yet to have a thread just for the Xbox One E3 conference. I gotta say.. I'm pretty pumped for this conference, I think more than I am about Sony's show. While I enjoy my Xbox One I do the vast majority of my gaming on the PS4. I want Phil Spencer to come out on stage and tell me why that should change.

GameScoop E3 2014 preview

yeah.....I'm eager to get an X1 now that they've cut the price, removed the paywall, and dropped Kinect.

so, I'm looking forward to MS's E3 showing, too.

I still wonder how they're going to push the console without Kinect, considering there are some features tied directly to it. The recording for example. I wonder if thats just something they'll leave with Kinect. "Ya wanna record game clips? Gotta have Kinect"

I think they should remake the device, dropping the camera but leaving the mic. The only thing I can see people having an issue with when it comes to Kinect is the camera. They must feel like theyre being spied on(which if thats the case, i got news for ya, you are already being spied on, Kinect or not). The voice commands for using media apps and searches is the future of entertainment(amazon fire, siri, google etc) and really makes things quicker and easier. I do a lot of Netflixing while i browse on my iPad and being able to pause my Xbox without lifting my hands off the iPad is great. It sounds SO trivial, but once you get used to doing that, you want ALL your devices to have that ability.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure they're going to revamp the UI, just like how the 360 went through 3-4 complete revamps. At least I hope they do, cause the UI is horrible and ridiculously slow, and it's all due to Kinect.

I ****in hate Kinect.

why do you need Kinect to record game clips??

I think the voice commands are ****. They worked once and then after that I'm screaming at the damn thing. My room is also perfect for Kinect size and all that but it could not recognize me in that stupid Kinect Sports demo.

They'll release a UI update and hopefully Kinect will be put out to die.. Like it very well could be.

why do you need Kinect to record game clips??

The only way to record game clips is to tell the Xbox to record. Theres no button or anything associated with that. With a game like BF, all the buttons are tied to a command so they couldnt just 'add' in the feature. Im not sure how they'll handle things like that going forward, outside of having a dedicated "record" button mapped to the control layout.

I think the voice commands are ****.

No, the commands are pretty good, the only issue is when the device cant hear you over your TV. Which if you are watching a movie with the sound up can be very annoying. But watching netflix or the like with the sound at a decent volume, Kinect doesnt have any issues. You can pause and resume, change whatever you are watching with ease. Its where things are headed, like it or not, voice control won't be going away any time soon. Id be willing to bet, TVs are going to start using them in the same way something like the Amazon Fire is. I mean i can get from the dashboard, to Netflix and into a show far faster than someone could without using the voice commands and thats the digital world we live in. Things have to happen RIGHT NOW.

Listen to boogie2988, he's been a pretty vocal hater of Kinect and he's come full circle on the device and the dude is usually spot on.

[YT]0m1hqkTea2I[/YT]

Last edited:
Gonna disagree with you there.. I mean.. What I'm saying is being said by countless of people across the internet as well as my friends. The Kinect is ****.. And needs to die. I know the moment those things can be traded in I'm dumping it like a bad habit.

If anything Microsoft is NOW saying voice control is NOT the future and I fully believe if any company was planning on using voice control they may take a step back now.. This thing wasn't well received due to the price and due to the Kinect and not just due to the NSA.. Look how many people bought Playstation cameras. The original Kinect was junk and people don't want a second.. Simple as that.

I'm not saying that maybe in 10 years or so we won't have proper voice control.. But the Kinect is not the object to usher that in.

Last edited:
Gonna disagree with you there.. I mean.. What I'm saying is being said by countless of people across the internet as well as my friends. The Kinect is ****.. And needs to die. I know the moment those things can be traded in I'm dumping it like a bad habit.

Yea and I think you and others like you just have this preconceived hate for the device, for whatever reason, just or not. I don't buy for a second you or others like you have the issues you claim. Again, not claiming the device is perfect, its far from it, but its doing something other industries are doing and I doubt thats going away.

If MS wouldn't of pushed the thing as the next wave in gaming and then tried to shove a bunch of crappy "Motion" titles down our throats we prob wouldn't be having this issue. THATS why people dislike Kinect, it has nothing to do with what the device can or cant do, people just didnt like MS telling them it was the next evolution in gaming.

Last edited:
I mean feel free to doubt.. I'm not about to record myself proving that the Kinect doesn't work. I don't have to get on the internet and lie about it. I have the Kinect a chance.. bad place half the reason I bought the One was because I thought it looked like they fixed the original Kinect mistakes.. But.. Nope, it's the same device just more woven in. I honestly think that you'll see the Kinecg slowly fade away.. bad place Phill Spencer already said that MS has more doodads freed up now that the Kinect isn't there that te "power difference between the PS4 and XB1 should be minimal at best."

Twitch, Skype.. Mostly stuff that you can use a webcam for. It can be used as a mic too for party chat.. But no one does that.

I'm not saying people aren't allowed to like the Kinect, I just think it's junk and I'll do a happy dance when it's wiped off the Xbox Map. :p

I mean feel free to doubt.. I'm not about to record myself proving that the Kinect doesn't work. I don't have to get on the internet and lie about it. I have the Kinect a chance.. bad place half the reason I bought the One was because I thought it looked like they fixed the original Kinect mistakes.. But.. Nope, it's the same device just more woven in. I honestly think that you'll see the Kinecg slowly fade away.. bad place Phill Spencer already said that MS has more doodads freed up now that the Kinect isn't there that te "power difference between the PS4 and XB1 should be minimal at best."

And I can find just as many saying the device works fine, its why I know most hate for the Kinect comes from Microsofts message behind it when they launched the thing, its not the device currently. People don't say the same thing about the Amazon Fire or Siri or the system Google uses and for the most part, they all work about the same(Siri being the worst of the bunch though) it just all comes back to how MS pushed the device in the beginning. Gamers didnt want a casual motion device shoved down their throats, thats precisely what MS did and it forever cost em.

I agree MS will phase the device out, I said it before, that the announcement of a Kinectless Xbox was admission they didnt see a future in it. I think that was the wrong move, I think keeping Kinect and lowering the price should of been the way to go, even if they would of eaten all the cost.

Last edited:
yeah....my main issue was that they forced you to buy/use the Kinect. And for people like myself, who have no interest in that stuff, it was a huge disincentive for us to shell out $100 more for the X1.

I think MS should have just offered the choice from the outset. Have a $399 console only X1. Then a $499 X1 + Kinect bundle. Plus a standalone $100 Kinect model for people to purchase later on if they want.

That way, everyone wins and everyone has an option. If Kinect were truly awesome and revolutionary, then consumers would recognize the value of it. MS would be able to tell from their sales tracking if the Kinect bundles are outselling the Kinectless ones. They'd also see demand for the standalone Kinect.

It would have been interesting to see what the sales #s would have been had they gone that route.

But it's clear from the actual sales figures, the demand for the Kinect just didn't seem to be there. Even with Titanfall being released, and the Titanfall ( and Forza ) bundles being discounted to $450, it didn't seem to boost sales enough to overtake the PS4. And $450 is a pretty darn good deal, considering you're getting the console, Kinect, AND a game download.

However, it seemed that wasn't enough to entice consumers.

Last edited:
Random: I actually never really hated what Microsoft was attempting to do with their DRM. They were attempting to bring Steam to consoles.. Or their version.. But they went about it wrong. Also, I don't think console gamers are ready for something like that.

Random: I actually never really hated what Microsoft was attempting to do with their DRM. They were attempting to bring Steam to consoles.. Or their version.. But they went about it wrong. Also, I don't think console gamers are ready for something like that.

well, I didn't like that idea, and all the restrictions on sharing/trading games, etc.

as you said, console gamers (me) aren't ready for something like that.

I'm old fashioned.....lol.

I like going to the game store, buying the physical game, putting the disc into the console, then selling/trading it in when I'm done.

Last edited:
One thing I loved about it was you could put a disk in your drive ONE time.. Install it and never have to use the disk again. I wouldn't be shocked if MS brings this stuff back slowly over time.. Maybe give people more options.. Buy i do not believe it will be gone forever.

The positive thing is, at least MS is being quick to adapt and change course.

whether that's the right or wrong move, we'll have to see.

MS needs a killer showing at E3 this year. it could well be a very important turning point in the race against Sony.

especially if Sony just appears to remain "the same" and doesn't do anything to knock it out of the park.

I'm actually more excited to see what Nintendo brings to E3, but I'm hoping we get some good announcements for MS.

One thing I loved about it was you could put a disk in your drive ONE time.. Install it and never have to use the disk again. I wouldn't be shocked if MS brings this stuff back slowly over time.. Maybe give people more options.. Buy i do not believe it will be gone forever.

if they do that, they need a system where, when you install the game, you "activate it" and tie it to your X1 console ( and by extension, all Gamertags associated with that console ). Then, if you want to sell or trade the game in, you have to deactivate it from the system. That way, you can't keep the game in your system and then go off and sell it.

I'm actually more excited to see what Nintendo brings to E3, but I'm hoping we get some good announcements for MS.

For Nintendo, 3 words.........Legend of Zelda.

if they do that, they need a system where, when you install the game, you "activate it" and tie it to your X1 console ( and by extension, all Gamertags associated with that console ). Then, if you want to sell or trade the game in, you have to deactivate it from the system. That way, you can't keep the game in your system and then go off and sell it.

Good idea. Submit it to MS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"