Microsoft in talks to buy Activision

With the moves that MS has been making, and with the direction the industry seems to be taking, it honestly feels like Sony should now be strongly considering buying a major Japanese/Asian 3rd party dev like Square Enix or Capcom.

PC is just getting everything now haha. Proper feasting. Well except Mario & co of course.
Yep! It's crazy. I do find PC more accessible honestly. I mean, it's pricey to get a good gaming PC, but my brother built mine for me and sold me his expensive graphics card. I actually vowed I would still play on console a lot, but I haven't played a game on my PS5 in so long. I'm sure i will when God of War, and Spider-Man 2 drops, but it's just so much fun to have access to everything on PC. Plus, I can play games I grew up with too that are 20+ years old.

Lol does this mean Xbox now owns Crash Bandicoot and Spyro? That's pretty funny haha
Guess that's true....haha.

And don't forget they also own Banjo-Kazooie from Rare.

MS really needs to focus more on these Mascot/Platformer type games as Xbox exclusives. If nothing else for variety's sake, since they can't always be about Shooters and Western RPGs.

When you think about all the different franchises, characters, and ips that MS/Xbox now owns under their umbrella, it's mind-blowing. But also frustrating that they haven't been properly utilizing all of their potential ips throughout the years.

Aren't they PlayStation franchises? I thought Sony owned them.

I believe Activision have had the rights for a little while now, which is how they recently released the remastered versions on multiple platforms.

When you think about all the different franchises, characters, and ips that MS/Xbox now owns under their umbrella, it's mind-blowing. But also frustrating that they haven't been properly utilizing all of their potential ips throughout the years

Oh mate, don't even get me started. Every year, the only thing I'm waiting to hear is the reveal of Banjo-Kazooie 3, and every year I end up disappointed.

Yep! It's crazy. I do find PC more accessible honestly. I mean, it's pricey to get a good gaming PC, but my brother built mine for me and sold me his expensive graphics card. I actually vowed I would still play on console a lot, but I haven't played a game on my PS5 in so long. I'm sure i will when God of War, and Spider-Man 2 drops, but it's just so much fun to have access to everything on PC. Plus, I can play games I grew up with too that are 20+ years old.
Yeah I remember you saying about the graphics card, that was an awesome get haha. I'm really glad the industry has moved this direction as it means a lot more money for console first party in general and I always wanted to play the best graphical showcases on a souped up pc.

Guess that's true....haha.

And don't forget they also own Banjo-Kazooie from Rare.

MS really needs to focus more on these Mascot/Platformer type games as Xbox exclusives. If nothing else for variety's sake, since they can't always be about Shooters and Western RPGs.

When you think about all the different franchises, characters, and ips that MS/Xbox now owns under their umbrella, it's mind-blowing. But also frustrating that they haven't been properly utilizing all of their potential ips throughout the years.
Phil Spencer has been talking about needing "E-rated content" so it looks like they are looking to fill this gap. Banjo in particular is well overdue!

With the moves that MS has been making, and with the direction the industry seems to be taking, it honestly feels like Sony should now be strongly considering buying a major Japanese/Asian 3rd party dev like Square Enix or Capcom.
Square Enix seems like a natural fit but it feels like they are trying to get their games exclusive without having to buy them.

Yeah I remember you saying about the graphics card, that was an awesome get haha. I'm really glad the industry has moved this direction as it means a lot more money for console first party in general and I always wanted to play the best graphical showcases on a souped up pc.
Agreed haha. Though, I will say that I hope the acquisitions stop now. I feel like Microsoft has enough under their belt now to be a true competitor this generation. And as someone who still loves Playstation despite gaming on PC mostly, I have to laugh when die hard playstation people say "they were no big losses". Yes, they really were. Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Call of Duty, Spyro, Crash Bandicoot. Those are MAJOR buys.

Agreed haha. Though, I will say that I hope the acquisitions stop now. I feel like Microsoft has enough under their belt now to be a true competitor this generation. And as someone who still loves Playstation despite gaming on PC mostly, I have to laugh when die hard playstation people say "they were no big losses". Yes, they really were. Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Call of Duty, Spyro, Crash Bandicoot. Those are MAJOR buys.

Yeah, I never quite buy that way of thinking people seem to throw around. It reminds me of whenever they announce a new TV/Movie streaming service, there are always people who are like "Uh, I'm fine thanks. I don't need another streaming service". But you know if they actually had access to it, they'd inevitably still end up going "No way, my favourite shows are all here".

With Sony and Xbox, it's like a narrative I think people tell themselves because they think it has to be one or the other... Like to admit that Xbox has good value and interesting exclusives is somehow admitting weakness for Sony? The reality is, both are very strong with different value props to different people. If you're a PC gamer and a PS5 owner, of course Xbox doesn't matter as much to you... Because you can get all the same games on PC. But to say you're "not missing out" I think is kinda missing the point.

Yeah, I never quite buy that way of thinking people seem to throw around. It reminds me of whenever they announce a new TV/Movie streaming service, there are always people who are like "Uh, I'm fine thanks. I don't need another streaming service". But you know if they actually had access to it, they'd inevitably still end up going "No way, my favourite shows are all here".

With Sony and Xbox, it's like a narrative I think people tell themselves because they think it has to be one or the other... Like to admit that Xbox has good value and interesting exclusives is somehow admitting weakness for Sony? The reality is, both are very strong with different value props to different people. If you're a PC gamer and a PS5 owner, of course Xbox doesn't matter as much to you... Because you can get all the same games on PC. But to say you're "not missing out" I think is kinda missing the point.
Agreed. Anybody who says they aren't missing out is lying to themselves at this point.

I am now feeling like that Ps5 I bought as a gift is the wrong console purchased :waa:
Nah, still a great gift, especially given how hard they have been to get hold of. Sony still has many of the best single player first party games and studios in the industry and they aren't going anywhere.

They are a terrible company run by sociopaths that (fortunately) don’t make anything I had interest in in a long time but the games industry is heading in the direction of the movie industry where there is a few big players left.

Nah, still a great gift, especially given how hard they have been to get hold of. Sony still has many of the best single player first party games and studios in the industry and they aren't going anywhere.
I sure hope so. I really hoped that they would like it. And you're right, we won't see the effects of this acquisition immediately. At this moment, a Ps5 or any new gen console is very desirable.

View attachment 52552

Honestly, I hope so. Would be fantastic to see Blizzard rise again.

Would also love to see the triumphant return of some fantastic studios that Xbox now owns, who've been stuck making COD games/maps/content updates for far too long. Would love to see Treyarch, High Moon, Beenox, Raven etc making their own games again.

See, my response to that is "Well, that's nice from a creative autonomy perspective, but it doesn't touch the bigger problem with Blizzard of 'noxious, destructive internal culture'." I mean, I ultimately only care so much about the quality of product from a company whose personnel apparently think that the 'Cosby Room' was an awesome idea.

If Microsoft does buy Activision, my hope is that they. . . well, okay, "burn it to the ground" might be excessive, but certainly they should at least embrace the old Roman practice of decimation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"