Mid 90s | A24

Blitzkrieg

Avenger
Reaction score
'Mid90s' Trailer: Jonah Hill Brings '90s Nostalgia to Screen in Directorial Debut

The '90s are making a comeback, as teased in the first official trailer for Jonah Hill’s directorial debut, Mid90s. The coming-of-age film from A24 follows a 13-year-old boy named Stevie (Sunny Suljic) and his group of friends who attempt to navigate drinking, drugs, fighting, sex, looking cool and fitting in while making some bad choices along the way.

I love the trailer for this. The cinematography is beautiful and so is the choice of music.

Also, this movie was shot in 16mm and Super 8 and said to be inspired by both ''This is England'' and Larry Clark's ''Kids''. Trent Raznor & Atticus Ross is doing an original score for this.

I liked it. It's a coming of age movie which comes across very sincere in it's portrayal of the characters even tho it practically shoves a good deal of stereotypes in your face. But Stevie comes across as very relatable and Sunny Suljic turns in a fantastic performance. The boy nails the downbeat and mopey scenes like he's a pro. He's got a bright future ahead of him.

Also, talking about a bright future leads me to think that Jonah Hill of all people might become an indie auteur.

Last edited:
It’s not the mid 90s til someone effs a pie

Mid 90s

Man, as a kid from the 90s it is an odd feeling to see your youth and your time feel like a distant time. We always see flicks set in the 70s-80s and even further back of course, but it's just weird to see my ''era'' in a way be considered a time period, almost. This placed happened, this is how we dressed, this is what we did, this what we listened to etc. I guess some bald kid being born NOW-TODAY will look back at the 90s the same way I do when looking at black and white flicks. I guess it happens to every generation. I felt a sense of lost almost immediately. It might sound cheesy, but it felt like a blink of an eye and that time period was gone, kinda what life is in a way. Seems like yesterday I was playing outside with my friends and then blink and i'm in some atlantic city strip club trying to make it rain, but the machine won't take my visa. Jonah Hill did a great job. 8/10

Nostalgia is a hell of a drug.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vortep88
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"