Milla Jovovich in Capcom's Monster Hunter

Really hope these are the type of video game adaptations we move away from following the success of Sonic.

Not counting that terrible sounding Uncharted movie of course.
I mean how do we really get rid of bad film adaptations? We still got bad Comic book movies like New Mutants and Dark PhoeniX after more than a dozen of good comic book movies from 1 studio alone.

Its never going to go away. Bad movies will be around forever.

I mean how do we really get rid of bad film adaptations? We still got bad Comic book movies like New Mutants and Dark PhoeniX after more than a dozen of good comic book movies from 1 studio alone.

Its never going to go away. Bad movies will be around forever.

The sad thing is Dark Phoenix and New Mutants are better than most video game adaptations.

While bad movies will always be made, video game movies often go wrong at the conception stage, as they inexplicably change things that don’t need to be changed. I mean, have you heard anyone ever say they wanted a teenage Drake movie for the first ever big screen Uncharted movie?

Honestly, I think video game movies will only stop being nigh-universally bad once enough time has passed that the average Hollywood producer, director, and screenwriter has grown up knowing them their entire life. The fundamental problem is the core creatives going "Oh, its a video game, it can't possibly be good", with the faults growing from there.

One thing I will admit for Sonic the Hedgehog, basically letting Jim Carrey do Jim Carrey, or evil mad scientist Ace Ventura, for Robotnik was probably the right move for that film.

Yeah, now see I think Sonic needed to have changes to work as a movie. It would be the same for a few other properties also.

But in the main, they don’t need too many changes. Something like the first Resident Evil game or Uncharted game are pretty much movies already, then they just go and change them for the movie anyway. We are only now getting a Resident Evil movie that sounds faithful to the games 20 years later.

The new Tomb Raider worked because it mainly stuck to the game, the worst parts of the movie? The parts that weren’t. And then there is this Monster Hunter this we are getting.

The sad thing is Dark Phoenix and New Mutants are better than most video game adaptations.

While bad movies will always be made, video game movies often go wrong at the conception stage, as they inexplicably change things that don’t need to be changed. I mean, have you heard anyone ever say they wanted a teenage Drake movie for the first ever big screen Uncharted movie?
A teenage Drake Uncharted movie isn't so dissimilar to making a Venom movie without Spider-Man and making a new Mutants without a direct connection to the X-Men.

Videogames though unlike comics, most of them rely on gameplay mechanics rather than a good story and if there's a good story within the game, the game has a story runtime of 5 hours or more. Even modern games like the Just Cause, Hitman games and the older Street Fighter games Imo don't really have a strong story to begin but most people buy them for gameplay. So when the movie adaptation is made, they turned out to be lackluster either because the studio hired someone with abad track record or they couldntjust figure how to translate the videogame/s into a 2 hour film.

A teenage Drake Uncharted movie isn't so dissimilar to making a Venom movie without Spider-Man and making a new Mutants without a direct connection to the X-Men.

Videogames though unlike comics, most of them rely on gameplay mechanics rather than a good story and if there's a good story within the game, the game has a story runtime of 5 hours or more. Even modern games like the Just Cause, Hitman games and the older Street Fighter games Imo don't really have a strong story to begin but most people buy them for gameplay. So when the movie adaptation is made, they turned out to be lackluster either because the studio hired someone with abad track record or they couldntjust figure how to translate the videogame/s into a 2 hour film.

I’d say it’s very dissimilar as the comics have years and years of material to choose from with multiple different approaches, tones, writing styles and of course quality varying a lot. I know there have been plenty of Venom comics without Spider-Man in them for example. Not to mention some of the characters from NM and from Venom had been on the big screen before to draw from.

Uncharted pretty much is a movie already, you just take out the hundreds of gun fights, condense it into a few, keep some of the more cinematic parts like the German sub, car chase and the creatures, stick to the main story otherwise and you could easily adapt it into a 2 hour movie. But you said it yourself, they keep hiring bad directors to make these movies and until they take them a bit more seriously we are going to get the crap we mainly have been. Sonic was a step in the right direction. Monster Hunter World and Uncharted(whose Director I actually like, but the story choice is awful) feel like 2 steps backwards.

I hope they delay this again. I haven't seen Milla Jovovich in the big screen since the Hellboy reboot and I slept for the majority of that film.

Guys, *****ing about this movie is rather silly. Anderson's made movies that were good, previously: the first Mortal Kombat movie, Event Horizon, Pandorum, and my personally favorite: the 2008 Death Race remake! He's made stuff that can be fun! The reason his Resident Evil movies sucked was because he deliberately went against the games by focusing more on action than horror to the point of changing the plot and utilized an bland OC character who, unlike Rey, was the very definition of a Mary Sue who kept upstaging characters who WERE from the games. Seriously, if you make JILL VALENTINE, LEON S. KENNEDY AND CHRIS FREAKING REDFIELD all look like *****es, then that definitely deserves scorn.

However, Anderson, from what he's talked about this movie and from what's been shown so far, has appeared to have learned his lesson from that debacle and is working with the MH games team to get this right. And as for people whining about the plot: if you've played any Monster Hunter game, you'd know THERE IS NO PLOT. You just go out with big-ass swords or crossbows, kill gigantic beasts, harvest stuff from their corpses to make better gear, rather, rinse, repeat. So doing a Stargate-type plot with the MH universe is fine by me. Plus, he's said months ago that we WILL see weapon-crafting in the movie, so we're all good! He's not Uwe Boll where he doesn't give a **** about video games and just wants to make money.

Also two words: RON FREAKING PERLMAN. That is all.

I don't think he got a film that got a fresh rating in Rotten Tomatoes. Death Race got around 40%. Even his films that are somewhat entertaining. Those could have better with someone who has a better track record.

I think Monster Hunter the movie looks fine. The Resident Evil movies don't look cheap for mid range budgeted films. But there's a lot to be desired of. I do think this movie is going to get terrible reviews as usual.

As someone who hasn’t played the game and isn’t all worried about some faithful adaption or whatever, this looks like a lot of fun. Good popcorn flick. Some crazy creature action sign me up. Definitely gonna check it out.

This looks like hot garbage imo.

Honestly, I think video game movies will only stop being nigh-universally bad once enough time has passed that the average Hollywood producer, director, and screenwriter has grown up knowing them their entire life. The fundamental problem is the core creatives going "Oh, its a video game, it can't possibly be good", with the faults growing from there.

This. Hollywood creatives have no respect for video-games as source material; the end result is usually terrible.

I have to say it doesn’t look as cheap or bad as Anderson’s usual stuff. Color me surprised.

I will say, Rathalos and Diablos look good. Would have been nice to see the great sword in action, just to get a better idea of how he is doing the action with the crazy weapons. Milla's action with the dual swords that we saw are not as crazy as the game, I want to see some crazy dual sword action. Also didn't show the buff cat cheff that Milla apparently flirts with. The smaller monsters look less clean than the big two highlighted, and I'm not sure if that was one of the big bug monster popping out of the ground our not.

Kind of surprised that they chose Gore Magala as the Elder Dragon of the movie

It doesn't look cheap per se, but.... it's still Anderson.

I'm not expecting this to be any good, but I'm a sucker for monster movies and this looks like it will have plenty of creature action throughout. I like the designs of the creatures as well even though it is very heavily CGI, but as long as I can get some mindless thrills out of it I'm sure it won't be too bad of a experience. Also, I will see almost anything with Tony Jaa and Meagan Good in it.

Looks like dumb fun, I might catch it a time some point but it won’t Be in the cinema, even during normal times.

I have to say though, damn Milla still looks good!

Might just be me... but the reason I think it does not look good is because they take a modern theme and shove it into MH. If the movie from beginning to end was just MH.. no Tanks, airplanes, Military, modern guns.. and ..Dimensional travel(??)

This modern stuff just shoved into the movie makes it meh for me.

Might just be me... but the reason I think it does not look good is because they take a modern theme and shove it into MH. If the movie from beginning to end was just MH.. no Tanks, airplanes, Military, modern guns.. and ..Dimensional travel(??)

This modern stuff just shoved into the movie makes it meh for me.

I mean, could you make a good movie out of a "Modern day soldiers cross dimensions and fight monsters" premise? Absolutely, or at least a perfectly entertaining bad one. The problem, from my perspective, is what it heavily implies about the creative process. Probably not an enthusiastic new angle for exploring the property, probably yes a way to save money on the movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"