Ming-Na Wen is Fennec Shand

Breogan

My other Avi is Gaucho Mickey
Reaction score
gettyimages-1169794972.jpg

All the D23 Cast interviews,

....then jump to 2:49 Ming-Na Wen

Edit: ^ frozen at ridiculous shot of Pascal, and that shirt isn't helping LOL!

So what's the opposite of a farmer? Some kind of total bad-ash!?:D
Discuss / Speculate / Hopes for Wen's roll in the Mandalorian.

Last edited:
I heard someone say she's Sabine Wren. Sabine mom possibly, Ming looks awesome/ young, but Sabine was 18-20 in Rebels. This is 8 years after the last last episode of that.

Sabine-wren.jpg

I heard someone say she's Sabine Wren. Sabine mom possibly, Ming looks awesome/ young, but Sabine was 18-20 in Rebels. This is 8 years after the last last episode of that.
"Someone"? Can you specify?
Not that familiar with the character, but that would be somewhat a slap in the face to Tiya Sircar the actor who actually plays her, who could easily play her in live action too.
Favreau and Filonii aren't stupid. That sounds more like fan theory/projection.

Wen is more than likely a new character.

Last edited:
Darn you can never go wrong with a bit of Wen.

Or a member of the Wren family either!

Sabine-wren.jpg

"Someone"? Can you specify?
Not that familiar with the character, but that would be somewhat a slap in the face to Tiya Sircar the actor who actually plays her, who could easily play her in live action too.
Favreau and Filonii aren't stupid. That sounds more like fan theory/projection.

Wen is more than likely a new character.

As implied, generic comment I heard more than one person speculate about on facebook and reddit forums. Personally, I believe the whole Rebels cast could play their characters live action.

Silly online fans trying to will their silly theories into reality. It just seems like the basis of all online fan theories are trying to connect one character to an existing character. I don't get it.

Her character's name is Fennec Shand. This is Sabine's mother, Ursa Wren.

Day-121-Ursa-Wren-2.jpg

Fennec...in France we have an old saying....stink like a fennec :(

giphy.gif

Her character's name is Fennec Shand.
Fennec...in France we have an old saying....stink like a fennec :(
While you French hearing her name might have to live down whatever (historic presence and relation in North Africa) and live with the sad, horrible implications of your apparent "saying".
Your honesty is commended, I think most people here when hearing the name Fennec Shand, will still just be thinking of the small big-eared ridiculously cute North African fox, with none of that baggage. .

fennec-fox-85120553-57ffe0d85f9b5805c2b03554.jpg

FYI you ever read Kamel Daoud's The Meursault Investigation, great twist and reexamining of L’Étranger
Also speaking of Camus a great little movie staring Viggo Mortensen called Far From Men. recommended.

Last edited:
giphy.gif

while you French hearing her name might have to live down whatever (historic presence and relation in North Africa) and live with the sad, horrible implications of your apparent "saying".
And your honesty is commended, I think most people here when hearing the name Fennec Shand. will still just be thinking of the small big-eared really cute North African fox.

FYI you ever read Kamel Daoud's The Meursault Investigation, great twist and reexamining of L’Étranger
Also speaking of Camus a great little movie staring Viggo Mortensen called Far From Men. recommended.

The saying comes from the fact that fennecs have a strong musky odor....nothing more...no relation with North Africa.

Again commend your honesty, sadly the "saying" is historically somewhat more loaded than that, Fennec is also the emblematic animal of Algeria (and pride) where French had a long Imperial presence, and is a saying loaded with pejorative sentiment.

Most would be unaware of the "saying", and just think of the cute animal the name invokes.

Fennec Shand is a very cool name for her character, curious to see who she is.
And what the Mandalorian does to impress her so much,

Fennec-Shand-Image-Resized.png

71524941_555705025241417_5935538550545027007_n.jpg

....then jump to 2:49 Ming-Na Wen
So what's the opposite of a farmer? Some kind of total bad-ash!?:D
Apparently a mercenary/assassin , there is also some fan speculative concept art for her design.

Vanity Fair Interview Ming-Na Wen - Meet Ming-Na Wen’s New Star Wars Assassin From The Mandalorian

“We got our inspiration really from the name. The idea of a fennec fox came to mind,” Wen explained in a recent interview. “She’s tricky, and yet she’s able to maneuver and survive, and be stealthy—so very graceful and agile.
I just love that whole image with the name.” She continues to compare Shand to Han Solo, stating that they’re both survivors who only began a life of crime to fulfill their own personal causes. Shand’s allegiance remains to be seen, however, with Wen adding, “Thinking that she’s a mercenary, it can go either way.”

Last edited:
Just a reminder everyone. Ming-Na Wen is 56! :D

I'm not ashamed to admit it. This video, wow. It's just Mign-Na's voice is amazing.

So is she still alive at the end?

The person who arrives at the end ? Someone tracing the Mando's steps?

Some brightened screen caps, indicate it might have been the Mando himself returning.
Could he have met with her before hand, and staged the whole thing to entrap the rookie? Beskar body armor?

Last edited:
She seemed a whole different person in Chapter 14 as compared to her first outing.

I have to wonder what REALLY is going on with her?

Great to get her back, and hopefully we see more of her. I like having her paired with Boba Fett too.

She seemed a whole different person in Chapter 14 as compared to her first outing.

I have to wonder what REALLY is going on with her?

I don't know, she seemed to be a professional then, and a professional now. She's just a professional who owes a serious mortal debt to someone else. And hey, he wants to risk her life fighting some Imperial remnants, its not like she has moral objections to either risking her life or killing Imperials.

I mean, some of this is just me liking Ming-Na Wen, but a lot of it is thematic interpolation. Toro Calican was set up as the complete unlikable scum kind of amoral mercenary, and he literally shot her. While there is no physical rule that prevents them from being equally scummy mutual betrayers it works better as a story if you actually are supposed to hate Toro for this. . . and you hate him more if Fennec is more respectable than him. Thus, my interpretation: Toro is a treacherous backstabber who will shoot unarmed prisoners and hold innocent bystanders hostage, while Fennec is a professional who keeps her promises and would be slightly offended if you implied she needed to shoot random bystanders.

I would say that is apparent now.

At the time, and yeah I will even make concessions to both being a hired killer in a tough spot who does what one must to survive, but whether a genuine offer to the lad or a gambit for freedom the gist to me was she's a criminal that kills for money that works for other killers as Mando pointed out. O don't think the only thing that the viewer takes away is the shift in our perspective on Toro in terms of general info. She is wanted criminal and her method of getting out of her pickle was likely indicated to be at that moment killing him and either waiting for Mando and killing him too or continuing to evade the law I must assume as well as bounty hunters looking for rewards from the Republic or more criminal elements. The switcheroo they pull does paint Toro as the ultimate villain of that story but it is also pretty clear she was gonna kill him without a second thought preying on what she hoped was a combo of his desperation to be taken seriously by the Guild and his youthful pride. So she did come across as a con artist on top of being a killer for hire.

She in the little time we got yo know her for me at least didn't give any indication she was the type to be grateful to someone that saved her life in the form of a life debt servitude dealie. I would sooner imagine her if she had the chance of ditching her saviors.

But that's fine. There is more than enough unknown about her right know to just chalk it up to both developing and us getting to know a character.

I will add this... Cyborg parts are a very convenient way to keep a person under one's thumb in fiction. A self destruct, a pain inducing component or some such would keep her compliant. And that may well indicate that Boba's intentions are in fact less than pure and about a lot more than just paying back Mando for his armor.

Or that is one way they could go about it.

Totally agree about Ming-Na Wen. Like her character on the show she is a pro's pro and it is all kinds of great to see her still out there doing the work and always giving whatever project her all and keeping us engaged and entertained.

Yea I'm side-eying that a little bit, what @KRYPTON INC. said about Boba keeping her alive through cybernetics. Boba doesn't seem the type to just wander across someone and save their life for altruistic reasons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"