Missed MCU Opportunities

Flash525

The Scarlet Messenger
Reaction score
It occurred to me earlier that a few scenes or sequences have been kept out of the MCU.

I'm not specifically talking about big scenes and/or characters that aren't involved in pre existing events (like the F4 or X-Men - yet), but the small things or interactions.

Unless I'm mistaken, Steve Rogers has never, nor will he now ever meet Stephen Strange. Likewise Tony Stark never meets T'Challa or Shuri (and thus never gets an opportunity to merge Stark tech with vibranium).

There's no interaction between the two captains either is there? No reference to the God of Thunder from Quill upon their meeting (surely, as a kid, Quill would know a thing about mythology and god of lightening?) - a reference would've been cool?

Obviously there were time constraints, and we couldn't have every character interacting with everyone else, but there were a few scenes I'd have liked to of seen.

How about everyone else?

Last edited:
We never really got to see Spider-Man and Hulk interact, even though both of those were the two biggest icons of Marvel at one time.

And we've never even seen Thunderbolt Ross interacting with Ruffalo's Banner. It's as if they don't even know each other or have nothing to do with one another.

And we've never even seen Thunderbolt Ross interacting with Ruffalo's Banner. It's as if they don't even know each other or have nothing to do with one another.

Im glad I can ignore the first Hulk movie so much.

The one missed opportunity was the lack of Maria Hill besides just being Furys sidekick. I thaught she was awesome in Winter Soldier.

I was hoping Vision would appear in Endgame, even just in a flashback/time travel. I miss him in the epic end credits.

The sort of thing you're describing isn't a concern for me, but in hindsight I wish the later movies (starting with Civil War) had made Steve and Natasha a couple.

Not 'missed opportunity' as such, but a 'wish they hadn't' thing and I just wish they hadn't 'connected' or tied Iron Man to Spider-Man's 'dependency' and heritage as much. He isn't Iron Kid, he's Spider-Man and Uncle Ben's standing in Peter's life (which you can refer to without having to show origin again) was virtually non-existent and you also lost Peter's own science resilience & initiative as a result.

Not 'missed opportunity' as such, but a 'wish they hadn't' thing and I just wish they hadn't 'connected' or tied Iron Man to Spider-Man's 'dependency' and heritage as much. He isn't Iron Kid, he's Spider-Man and Uncle Ben's standing in Peter's life (which you can refer to without having to show origin again) was virtually non-existent and you also lost Peter's own science resilience & initiative as a result.

Couldn't agree more.

Well, not really a missed opportunity because it was probably never realistically going to happen, but I would have loved to see Daisy, Yo-Yo, Mack and Melinda May from Agents Of SHIELD show up in the final battle of Endgame. Along with Nick Fury, Maria Hill and Sharon Carter on a helicarrier, and Hank and Janet Van Dyne (though I can’t remember off the top of my head whether Hank has his own suit at this point? Janet had her awesome javelin, which I’m sure she could have used). Nakia should probably also have shown up, though I think Lupita Nyong’o couldn’t appear because of scheduling conflicts? Is that correct? But yeah, the only other missed opportunity I can think of (at the moment) is not giving Bucky more to do in Infinity War.

We never really got to see Spider-Man and Hulk interact, even though both of those were the two biggest icons of Marvel at one time.

I was so pissed about that. They actually have had no contact at all. But I'd rather savage Hulk meet Spidey than Professor Hulk. I don't really care for Professor Hulk at all.

I was so pissed about that. They actually have had no contact at all. But I'd rather savage Hulk meet Spidey than Professor Hulk. I don't really care for Professor Hulk at all.

Yeah that's what I would want. Savage Hulk and Spidey, not Professor Hulk. He's boring and seems like an excuse for Ruffalo to not play a proper Hulk.

Off the top of my head:

* Quill doesn't acknowledge that he's back on his home planet at all, pay a visit to his grandparents or check out what Earth is like at all.
* The whole Banner/Hulk conflict is resolved off-screen. I felt like we were going somewhere with that subplot in Ragnarok and Infinity War, and we never really see it come to fruition.
* Should've seen Captain America maybe still fighting super-villains or helping people in his off-time after the time-skip. Could've worn a variation of the Captain costume and used an energy shield. Would've had him fighting a minor villain who would've made a cameo.

A missed opportunity is Iron Man 2020 - the Iron Man from the future!

STL143485.jpg

iron-man-2020.jpg
clean.jpg

Just reading some of these ideas..eek, I think Feige and friends managed to make correct decisions. I'd trust the professionals, he's proven he knows what he's doing. :up:

Manadarin was MCU's biggest screw-up, perhaps it's only one, that got the most vocal response.

And Marvel went out of it's way to correct the mistake. Looking forward to the character in Shang-Chi, but his rivalry with Iron Man will never make it to screen. Missed opportunity.

I'll admit 'personalised' 'wish' fullfilment on this one, but given the UK's 'fan level', and that he's my favourite Marvel character, the introduction of Captain Britain into the MCU should have / hopefully will happen, and if you can give the role to Dan Stevens, that would be tickety-boo as well.

I'm going to add my Avengers predictions that were DEFINITELY going to happen and then totally didn't.

Avengers - Did Nick Fury just say "The Avengers Initiative"??!!!! OMG!!!! It's a shame that Thor won't be joining the group (If they even make the damn film) since Asgardian gods don't fit in Tony Stark's grounded universe. Maybe they will swap him out for the Vision?

Age of Ultron
- The opening plays out on both TV and film! The Avengers and Agents of Shield storm the Hydra Base simultaneously, meeting up on the big screen! And don't miss the nod to Ultron's comic book "Dad", Hank Pym!

Infinity War Part 1 - Hela plays the role of Lady Death, with Loki filling the Mephisto role from the Infinity Gauntlet comic book!

Infinity War Part 2 - How do we solve a problem like Thanos? A Terrigen Bomb! The end of Thanos brings about the rise of Inhumans in the MCU! And stick around for the end credits, where we see a disabled ship floating in space with "Future Foundation" clearly marked on the craft!

That we never got a true bonding of Steve Rogers and Spider-Man. If anyone should've been Peter's mentor it really should've been Steve.

I think that would have been a bit too cliche. Tony being the mentor was more entertaining, because he's the last person you'd imagine in a 'mentor' role. It was character growth for both of them.

main-qimg-6e16193129abe1a5b34a581a210d30cc

I don't know that I want Spider-Man having any mentor, but the idea of Steve being a mentor to a teen sounds appealing, so that might have been more effective.

I'm going to add my Avengers predictions that were DEFINITELY going to happen and then totally didn't.

Age of Ultron
- The opening plays out on both TV and film! The Avengers and Agents of Shield storm the Hydra Base simultaneously, meeting up on the big screen! And don't miss the nod to Ultron's comic book "Dad", Hank Pym!

Infinity War Part 2 - How do we solve a problem like Thanos? A Terrigen Bomb! The end of Thanos brings about the rise of Inhumans in the MCU! And stick around for the end credits, where we see a disabled ship floating in space with "Future Foundation" clearly marked on the craft!

Of course the problem is that AoS already gave us their Rogue One storyline and they expended all they had to get the intel. Now maybe a Koenig brother on the bridge playing a game as an Easter Egg.

Similarly if you are bring the TV show in, then the "bomb", in the form of a contaminated food chain had long ago went off by the time Thanos had turned toward earth.

Of course the problem is that AoS already gave us their Rogue One storyline and they expended all they had to get the intel. Now maybe a Koenig brother on the bridge playing a game as an Easter Egg.

Not having Patton Oswalt on the frikkin' Helicarrier remains one of my biggest MCU disappointments. That's when it became clear that the powers that be were no longer trying to link TV and film.

Similarly if you are bring the TV show in, then the "bomb", in the form of a contaminated food chain had long ago went off by the time Thanos had turned toward earth.

The fact that the cinematic universe, specifically CA:CW, ignored this massive expansion in super powered humans was another nail in the "It's All Connected!" coffin. And tainted fish oil pills was a smidge less exciting than a massive explosion.

I think that would have been a bit too cliche. Tony being the mentor was more entertaining, because he's the last person you'd imagine in a 'mentor' role. It was character growth for both of them.

main-qimg-6e16193129abe1a5b34a581a210d30cc

Eh. See since I was a kid growing up with the comics I loved the Steve - Peter dynamic and when they announced Spider-Man was joining the MCU this was one of the top pairings I thought they'd take advantage of and with Evans in the role of Cap I couldn't wait.

I get for MCU Tony that this relationship gave him growth but I would've preferred he had that growth through Riri if they had adapted her, not Peter. I found the Peter / Tony relationship forced despite Tom and Downey's chemistry. And I just hate the whole Peter Iron Man Jr thing. It's the one thing about the whole MCU I can't stand so I'm the wrong guy to convince. More power to you though for enjoying it.

A Hulk/ Thanos rematch in Endgame. Professor Hulk was pretty useless and it seems like an excuse that he was battling other people instead of facing Thanos again. It's more like he was afraid.

Even in Infinity War it was a dumb time to have him go through a crisis where he couldn't Hulk out. Who wants to see that in that type of movie? I would've preferred savage Hulk smashing things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"