Mission: Impossible - Dead Reckoning

I just hope that they think very carefully about the next story.
Right now, The Mission Impossible Franchise can pretty much write its own ticket.
Let's not mess it up with a weak entry.

They took a chance making Fallout so soon after Rogue Nation. Usually there's a 4 to 5 year gap between the movies so that they stay fresh and the script is perfect

I figure we'll get another one in 2021, but who knows, maybe 2020? This one was supposed to be a 2017 release before Tom Cruise broke his ankle.

Cruise is also making them faster now because he's not exactly getting younger, and they're the one thing people still love to see him in. The Mummy flopped, as did Jack Reacher 2, and while it was great, so did Edge of Tomorrow. He knows where the bread and butter are these days.

So far it doesn't seem McQaurrie is coming back for the next one. But he said that about this one too so I wouldn't be surprised if he came back. I appreciate his attitude on these things. Takes it one at the time and accepts something when the opportunity presents itself.

I figure we'll get another one in 2021, but who knows, maybe 2020? This one was supposed to be a 2017 release before Tom Cruise broke his ankle.

Cruise is also making them faster now because he's not exactly getting younger, and they're the one thing people still love to see him in. The Mummy flopped, as did Jack Reacher 2, and while it was great, so did Edge of Tomorrow. He knows where the bread and butter are these days.

All really depends on whenever they get EoT's sequel up and running as well as that other film him and Lineman were working on Luna Park. I doubt the latter will get traction any time soon, but the former might. Anyone know what Blunt has lined up? If neither of those go into production by next year, I could see them doing Mission 7 for 2020.

McQ has said Tom already has ideas for a 7th as well as 8th films. I agree this will probably be his go to franchise for as long as he can ride it out.

Actually, wasnt it around this time last year that Cruise broke his ankle? They were still filming MI6 last summer so I think it was always going to be a 2018 release.

That would be correct. They only started filming in June of last year, I believe. I think it was supposed to go into production the year before but was put on hold over a dispute between Cruise and the studio.

I think 2021 is most likely because it's the 25th anniversary of the franchise and a new instalment would be the best way to celebrate it.

Hopefully the next one is out before Cruise turns 60 ;)

What didn't really occur to me in the last film, that Fallout made clear almost immediately, is that Lane is just as formidable as Ethan, especially hand-to-hand. In Rogue we just see him scheme and shoot IIRC, which for me gave a sense of a Hans Gruber type.

I think it was the moment he held his breath in the drowning van that made me go, "Oh yeah, this guy's hardcore."

Jordacar, my favorite fight scene moment actually is when Ilsa tried one of her patented killer thigh or BJJ moves, and Lane had it well scouted. He blocked it and defended it very well. I was like yeah! Clearly, Lane also studied some Judo or BJJ techniques as well. Good job, Lane! Basically, after setting up that as one of Ilsa's go-to- moves, it was neat to see a bad guy use it against her, at least for a bit.

Honestly, I'm surprised McQuarrie persuaded Harris to come back. I wonder how he did it.

Yeah, Lane being a physical threat was a pleasant surprise in Fallout. I mean, I guess I knew it on an intellectual level considering his backstory being a top agent for MI6 at one point, but it wasn't shown at all in RN so it's not a quality really associated with him until this one.

Last edited:

agree he is not getting any younger so the next one should be in 2021 this is his bread and butter series he has the top gun sequel next summer lets see how that does

I think that he wanted to. but they wouldn't let him.

I want to see Tom make Lunar with Doug Liman after he finishes Top Gun 2, but I wouldn't be surprised if he goes straight to Mission 7 given the age factor, it will likely depend on how ready McQ would be to hop back on as these movies are a huge undertaking.

He did, but they said he didn't have enough training to do the jump and given the mid air sequence they felt they needed a stunt man in the other suit.

Yes, thats true.
But, that was because Henry hadn't trained for the sequence
Tom trained for two years on the HALO jump.

Did Henry do the HALO jump as well?

Breaking down the sequence

[YT]ctIbzJX0HnM[/YT]

Cavill is up in the air with Cruise. Cavill runs back and hides behind the crates

sPGLSu5.gif

They film 70% of the remaining scenes of the sequence in a wind machine

xDYbOg7.jpg

Cute little trick with the camera there so we don't know that it is Henry that jumps out.
He must have prerecorded his dialogue for the sequence after Walker jumps.

Yes, thats true.
But, that was because Henry hadn't trained for the sequence
Tom trained for two years on the HALO jump.

I'm aware of that actually, and it does make sense.

Still, it was a nice little trick.
It certainly seemed like Henry made the jump.

Curious...

If Cruise eventually decides to step away from this franchise or moves into an IMF Director role that limits his screentime and action sequences, what actor(s) do you think could replace him? I think Rebecca Ferguson could takeover as the new team leader, but I think we'd also need a few more actors to support her or be co-leads, as she's not exactly a household name yet.

Well if they were to have a new main lead, then Ilsa makes the most sense imo. You could keep Benji and Luther around as well, and perhaps bring back some older characters from past films as well.

Curious...

If Cruise eventually decides to step away from this franchise or moves into an IMF Director role that limits his screentime and action sequences, what actor(s) do you think could replace him? I think Rebecca Ferguson could takeover as the new team leader, but I think we'd also need a few more actors to support her or be co-leads, as she's not exactly a household name yet.

This is something I don't even want to think about yet. In my opinion, Cruise is irreplaceable when it comes to the M:I franchise.

I just really don't want this to become like the Indiana Jones franchise in 15-20 years, with a geriatric Tom Cruise running around and doing some of this stuff.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"