Mississippi FINALLY Ends Slavery!

At this rate, they'll probably recognize Brown v. Board of Education in 2102.

Am I correct in assuming women in Mississippi have the right to vote (as long as their husband or father is present, of course)?

Am I correct in assuming women in Mississippi have the right to vote (as long as their husband or father is present, of course)?

Now, now, they ended slavery, they didn't go crazy.

Reminds me of the scene in Dumb and Dumber when Lloyd sees the old framed newspaper and screams, "we went to the moon!".

Am I the only one NOT surprised that Mississippi still didn't end slavery?

E7mSyVf_zps43d9f119.gif

Hey, let's give them some credit, a poll last year found that a staggering 60% of Mississippians supported keeping interracial marriage legal.

This is not surprising in the least. **** like that is why I've never traveled farther south than Northern Virginia. Maryland is southern enough for me. And I'm happy to say that the Klan burned their last cross on our yard back in the 70s because they got tired of us shooting at them. They still hold the occasional recruitment drive, though.

Most of the hardcore racists have died off or retired. Some still linger, but overall, the South's come an amazingly long way.

Sort of does make you wonder how long slavery would have lasted if the North hadn't come down to end it.

I guess until the slaves revolted Haiti style.

Still it took until the 90's, not the 1890's but 1990's, to get anywhere with that and they still didn't mail in the damn form saying, "Alright FINE! Slavery bad."

Most of the hardcore racists have died off or retired. Some still linger, but overall, the South's come an amazingly long way.

Has it though? To me it seems they're just craftier and more subtle about it. Instead of hearing the 'n' word and seeing people in white hoods, you hear talk about 'welfare babies' and people questioning the President's birthplace. I saw a lot of race-baiting from Romney surrogates during the campaign last year and most of it came from Southern surrogates.

Emphasis on hardcore. This was the world's lynching capital in the 1960's.

Going from murdering people to racist innuendo is one hell of an improvement.

Has it though? To me it seems they're just craftier and more subtle about it. Instead of hearing the 'n' word and seeing people in white hoods, you hear talk about 'welfare babies' and people questioning the President's birthplace. I saw a lot of race-baiting from Romney surrogates during the campaign last year and most of it came from Southern surrogates.

So how does donald trump feel about this news? :p

We shall overcome.

Sort of does make you wonder how long slavery would have lasted if the North hadn't come down to end it.

I guess until the slaves revolted Haiti style.

Racists are more subtle about it now that racism is less socially acceptable than it was. There are as many of them as there ever were, but they have to hide. If you want proof that hardcore, vicious racism is alive and well, go read the comments on any news article about a Black person. The recent incident where an older Caucasian man slapped a Black baby on a Delta flight really brought out the crazed racists. They were calling for that child to beaten severely and his mother, too. When people can spew hatred anonymously, you get a real idea of the ugliness bubbling beneath the surface in this society.

A few years ago the Washington Post ran an article about a young Maryland boy who died of an abscessed tooth because Medicaid would not pay for his dental care. There were literally thousands of racist comments celebrating his death and declaring that he deserved what he got. That led the Post to tighten up its comments sections and add moderators, eventually.

Well considering it was only in 2008 that one High School in Charleston Mississippi had their first racially intergrated prom (which was funded by Morgan Freeman) I'm not that surprised.

The school turned down Morgan Freeman's offer to fund a racially intergrated Prom the first time he asked as well. I think they onyl did it in the end because the bad publicity they were getting from outside of the town.

Maybe they were holding out doing the paperwork hoping the 148 year old amendment might still be overturned.
You know, just in case.

Last edited:
I still don't plan on visiting Mississippi.

Yeah the fact that there were still lynch mobs in Mississippi hanging, torturing, burning people a mere 50 years ago is some disheartening crap, let me tell you. They used to cut off people's genitals, even.

So, nobody else is bothered by the fact that it took a movie to get this ball rolling?

Yeah that it wasn't until the Lincoln film came out that an academic in the state bothered ever to look into it?

yeah, it was the rare simultaneous occurrence of a lincoln movie and an academic in mississippi that did it

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"