MLK: Martin Luther King JR Thread: The man. The Legacy.

I think Sarah Silverman said it best...

Dear Martin Luther King Jr.,

I had a f**king dream too. And in that dream, I'm in my living room. Well, it's not my living room, but it's playing my living room, right? And I get up, and go outside, and I start to jump into a swiming pool. And just as I jump, a shark comes out, and he's wearing sunglasses. So, maybe you're not so f**king special then, are you?

:dry:

You see, it's a joke, because while Martin Luther King was using the "dream" an analogy as his vision of the future, her on stage character doesnt understand that, and thinks he was using it as just a regular dream, and doesnt understand why her dream isnt as important and prolific as his, hence the comedy, from the ridiculousness. It's a concept called, humor, look it up :)

He was assassinated by the same man who REALLY shot JFK and was responsible for the Bay of pigs massacre......

Anyone have any idea what I'm talking about? :)

It's a shame so many people miss the point. It's a damn shame when alot of people use King as an example of their own righteousness (Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton, the Clintons) in leading the march for civil rights.

On this day, I keep thinking about that Boondocks episode where King lived to see all this crap recently.

Are they any decent black leaders/role models in todays world?

I had a thought yesterday, many black leaders slaved and worked for freedom and then won it. But the does the racial ignorant idea of what a black person is in some parts of Earth still remains. By that idea I mean ghetto, gangster and uneducated.

I just thought that the media now portays blacks as this stereotype and all the hard work that the black people that came before them was done for nothing.

Im sayin...Obama

and as for role models and poingant speakers:

Michael Eric Dyson
Tavis Smiley
Stokley Carmichael
Tiger Woods
Russell Simmons

tons and tons more...even the ones you may think aren't, are.

I say we just give it to Obama. He's the closest to normal out of all of them.

Mr. MILK, I take my hands off to you.

Oh, and see my sig. That episode of the Boondocks is coming on at 12:00.

OK so there is a good list of super cool nice black guys. Which steroetype do you think is spread over the world more?

The bad one or the good one? Bad being the ghetto, rapper, ******* type the good kind being the opposite.

^Considering that the korean chick I was going out with almost got disowned from her parents due to them assuming I was some gangsta wannabe before they met me, I'm thinking the former.

^Considering that the korean chick I was going out with almost got disowned from her parents due to them assuming I was some gangsta wannabe before they met me, I'm thinking the former.

I understand, me and my fiance were having this chat last night after watching the news about black crime gangs in the UK.....

It seems like black people won their freedom only to have it undermined by the few idiot black people out there.....which of coure is the only thing the "man" want to show us....in essence taking away so much of the freedom the past people fought for.

Martin Luther King Jr was a great leader who made a difference, I wouldn't have this day off if it weren't for him.

Happy MLK day everyone. :)

The only responses I expect this thread to get is from people making ironic jokes about the man and complaints about "reverse racism". I already plan on attending a service tomorrow, so I know where I stand.

On topic, I was listening to the radio earlier and they're advertising a special at a club tonight, and the announcer is like, "It's MLK weekend ya'll , and that means ladies get in for free, $1 drafts all night, and we gonna party our asses off!!"

:dry: Ok.....

So I listened to MLK's speech in my English class last wednesday, and I couldn't help but be sad after hearing it. Not only because such an inspirational, intelligent, promising leader was taken prematurely. But because it seems like many black youths and even some parents don't even care what MLK's dream is/was. I walk out into my school hallways hearing them shout "******" at each other back and forth at each other like it's some sort of nickname. I don't remember the exact quote..but in his speech he said.

people will not be judged by the color of their skin but by their character..

Something similar to that..and seeing many people in general, being affected by the (popular) hip hop culture...it's frustrating.

In celebration of MLK :up:

Martin Luther King Jr was a great leader who made a difference, I wouldn't have this day off if it weren't for him.

Happy MLK day everyone. :)
Everyone here thinks he's GREAT, but we still have to work. :whatever:

Yeah, I don't like Sarah Silverman either. :dry:

I never really understood the importance of MLK Jr. Day until listening to the radio today. Denzel Washington was on the radio talking and there were some great things said. Today is a day for remember the great man, Martin Luther King Jr., and all that he has done benefited all minorities from then to now and tomorrow.

The only responses I expect this thread to get is from people making ironic jokes about the man and complaints about "reverse racism". I already plan on attending a service tomorrow, so I know where I stand.

On topic, I was listening to the radio earlier and they're advertising a special at a club tonight, and the announcer is like, "It's MLK weekend ya'll , and that means ladies get in for free, $1 drafts all night, and we gonna party our asses off!!"

:dry: Ok.....

Damn. :o

The Boondocks is great.

So I listened to MLK's speech in my English class last wednesday, and I couldn't help but be sad after hearing it. Not only because such an inspirational, intelligent, promising leader was taken prematurely. But because it seems like many black youths and even some parents don't even care what MLK's dream is/was. I walk out into my school hallways hearing them shout "******" at each other back and forth at each other like it's some sort of nickname. I don't remember the exact quote..but in his speech he said.

people will not be judged by the color of their skin but by their character..

Something similar to that..and seeing many people in general, being affected by the (popular) hip hop culture...it's frustrating.

In celebration of MLK :up:

What really does suck is that some black youths have that mentality and don't know any better. Then you have some that just so damn ignorant, they refuse to change. When Denzel was on the radio today, he was talking about some of the youth really don't know any better. Some of the unfortunate ones are the ones that grow up in the 'hood. What happens is all they can do is absorb what is around them. They grow up misguided, and without strong fathers and mothers. Along with being misguided, all they can do is take in all that's around them. The media (rappers, BET, whatever seems like the "IT" thing to do and be hip), the drug dealers, the pushers, the thugs/gangs, pimps, etc. There are some parents that don't enforce anything on their children, and when they fail at properly raising their kids, they fail at being a good parent. Some of the kids don't have that positive (or negative) reinforcement to help them better themselves by their parents, or lack of parents (the deadbeat father or mother that walks out doesn't help in keeping the household strong, and ends up breaking that household).

I'm just thankful that I was never misguided.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"