Mom Makes Son Wear "Smoked Pot" Sign

You're being awfully judgemental towards things it seems like you have limited exposure to.
This is pretty much exactly what I was thinking.

Smoking makes me feel good. It makes me more social. It makes me enjoy certain things more (like sex, video games and movies), depending on my mood. It can also help reduce stress and take my mind off of things that are bothering me, but that don't require my immediate attention.

I would argue that smoking weed actually helped me during my undergraduate work.

"Why do it?" seems like a rather asinine question, to be honest.

Last edited:
The argument was that the mom was some out of touch 50s blow hard that needs to realize kids smoke pot...to somehow legitimize her 13 year old's behavior that she didn't agree with.
That actually wasn't the point. At all. The point was that the punishment, while perhaps novel (and slightly amusing, in my opinion), may be doing more harm than good when all factors are considered.

You seem to be in the habit of reading something, ignoring the context and then backhandedly insulting the person whose opinion/argument you've completely and entirely misinterpreted.

It's...interesting, to say the least.

The first one is extremely risky and stupid. The second one costs nothing. The third one is also pointless and wastes time.

If you feel no need for it...why do it? That's like someone who eats when they are bored. If it helps you relax, I understand that. If you do it for recreation, that's fine. If you do it just to do it...then that's dumb and you are wasting a lot of money for no reason.

Recreational sex is extremely risky and stupid? :huh: There are these things called condoms. And this other thing called birth-control. If you have just a bit of common sense and are careful with who you have sex with and how, it's not only extremely fun, but very safe.

Cartoons are pointless and waste time, unlike writing over 40,000 posts on the Hype! That's serious business! :o

I think everything you don't like (or don't understand) you justify as being bad, dangerous or stupid. You really need to have a more open mind. You'll be happier.

Marijuana didn't wreck their lives, the stupid outdated laws did. My brother is in the same boat. He got arrested for having weed on him and now he's got a criminal record. I don't smoke pot but I absolutely believe it should be 100% legal because while it does make lazy people lazier, it does help a lot of other people. And I think the government has no right to tell us that we're not allowed to do something harmless simply because they're too god damn lazy to change the rules. If someone wants to sit on their couch, listen to music and get high its their life and I don't see why the government feels the need to interfere. About 80% of the worlds view on marijuana is "I don't take it but I don't see why its illegal", so why is it still illegal?

As I said, that is a different argument with points on both sides (the validity of marijuana possession being illegal).
Regardless of anyone's opinion on it, dont forget what I said below:

In the end, weed or not, its all about choices. You even touched on this, regarding making choices that could be risky in order to reach higher and possibly be successful in some way.

I'm sure they'd give you a ton of weak justifications. You're a cop. They want you to take pity on their pitiful story so, I dunno, maybe the charge isn't as severe.

I'm not gonna toot my own horn. But I never smoke outside the privacy of a residence. I also don't buy in non secure locations. So there's something to be said for not getting caught. Keeping things in house is a good strategy. But essentially what you arrested him over is stupidity, not marijuana use.

That's kind of the lunacy of the police. They only arrest those dumb, or poor enough not to cover their tracks.

The drug didn't lead them to a life of crime. If you're stably employed you can purchase weed fairly regularly. Your drug dealers don't bring guns to your house. You're a customer, they don't want to scare you off! He's usually some dreadlocked white dude anyways who likes Bob Marley and lives on his bike. If it causes you to get fired, it isn't the weed. The laziness is a personal issue, mostly from television depictions. Like I say, two hours in the gym today. Gyms are stoner havens btw.

It's not the drugs that cause neighborhoods to be violent, it's the lack of money, real wealth and perceived pestering by the "outside" world.

Good points....sort of. You assume that I am a street level cop or possibly detective on some level, but I have held many positions in law enforcement and spoken to many many individuals after they have already been arrested and convicted. Therefore, they had no reason to lie (no benefit) or place all of the blame on marijuana (or any other factor). These conversations are fairly candid and in some/most cases, surprisingly honest. I have spoken to many people who were released from prison who talked about weed in this same manner. Again, no real benefit to lying or not taking responsibility at this point. Being in law enforcement, I do realize that some people lie for other reasons, but again, I have done this a lot over 10 years, so I am playing the percentages.

That said, what some have said (including myself) is that weed typically negatively affects those that are already weak or lazy. I completely agree and yes, there are really successful people out there that smoke weed, some of them regularly.

I had multiple extended conversations with a female nurse that was addicted to prescription drugs. She comes from a very wealthy, successful family. We spoke about her beginnings with these drugs, how it made her feel, why she continued to do it, etc etc etc. In other words, I asked her about almost every aspect of her life and how her addiction affected it. She spoke about herself in a way that I had never heard before. She talked about how her brain (and every person prone to addiction) works differently than "normal" people's brains. The conversation was strange, revealing and informative.

So, whats the point of this story? She didnt know that she had an addictive personality until she first tried drugs (not weed, but the point is the same). So, if what she said is true (a lot of it was based on actual research), it is a risk for some people to even sample ANY drug, as they could become addicted.

So, again, it always boils down to personal choices. If a person decides to use drugs and they become the next Steve Jobs, then good for them. If they happen to get caught in possession of them and do jail time or get addicted, then that would be terrible.
So, as some people have said, using marijuana is potentially risky behavior....I dont think that can be argued. And yes, I know that even driving a car COULD be risky, but that isnt really comparable to choosing to use drugs (many people HAVE to drive to go to work, getting caught just driving wouldnt lead to an arrest, etc). Even what you said about using drugs at home and avoiding certain areas and such diminishes the risk factor (again, that is a smarter choice on your part).

I apologize for taking this off topic a bit, but did want to give my perspective about some of the comments.

Back to the mom, I dont know if her punishment choice was smart or not. It may work well, it may completely backfire. Only time will tell.

Recreational sex is extremely risky and stupid? :huh: There are these things called condoms. And this other thing called birth-control. If you have just a bit of common sense and are careful with who you have sex with and how, it's not only extremely fun, but very safe.
HUSH! This is SHH!, as you know insanely hot chicks are not to be talked to, as they are not real human beings, but Goddesses of them kind.
Cartoons are pointless and waste time, unlike writing over 40,000 posts on the Hype! That's serious business! :o
Ironically, outside of Football, and Family Guy on my Laptop I hardly watch any television anymore. I do find television mostly to be utterly pointless, especially with the internet available for instant information.
I think everything you don't like (or don't understand) you justify as being bad, dangerous or stupid. You really need to have a more open mind. You'll be happier.
Agreed.

I think a lot of people are forgetting what it's like to be a kid in school. This punishment does not make him "cool". It only gives fuel for people to make fun of him. He's the guy who was stupid enough to get caught and had to wear a sign on the side of the rode. That does not equal "cool", and people won't want to get weed from him because he was not only caught, but had a "high profile" punishment. You don't go to a drug dealer you knows been caught.

Then why do it at all?

I have no problem with weed...it should be legal for 18+ or 21+...whatever the government sets it to. It has no addictive chemicals but it is an inhibitor just like alcohol. So, if you smoke and you drive 10 minutes later...your ash gets a DUI if you get caught and fail a sobriety test. The only addictive part of weed is in your head as someone mentioned. It's the same thing as being addicted to sugar. The only thing bad about smoking weed is the smoke inhalation...which is bad for you. Weed brownies or THC pills are perfectly healthy and may actually have some health benefits.
Studies show that when taken over a long period of time, weed has detrimental effects on a person's QI. It can also trigger/encourage mental illness such as schizophrenia.

and alcohol can destroy your liver, and turn people violent, that's why it's illegal...oh wait...

On one of the local news channels they said that those pesky scientists were doing studies that milk, which does a body good, can cause cancer.

So...yeah. :oldrazz:

Studies show that when taken over a long period of time, weed has detrimental effects on a person's QI. It can also trigger/encourage mental illness such as schizophrenia.

There's only one study that suggest an IQ drop and that only applies to teens who shouldn't smoke weed to begin with. Adults can smoke as much as they want with zero long term issues. Any memory problems go away once you stop smoking.

Anti-cannabis crusaders LOVE pointing out the schizophrenia connection but weed can trigger schizophrenia in only people predisposed to schizophrenia which is only 1 percent of the population. Only 1 out of every 100 people need to be concerned if at all.

Alcohol, cigarettes, and prescription drugs carry far more risks and they're all perfectly legal.

Most tokers I know of on various sites and IRL are open-minded, expressive and rebellious.

All those traits are what is needed in today's world.

Last edited:
Studies show that when taken over a long period of time, weed has detrimental effects on a person's QI.
Oh, no! Not my QI! At least my IQ is safe. :yay:

The study you're referencing found this effect primarily among people who began smoking at a young age. Context is important.

Hawkingbird said:
It can also trigger/encourage mental illness such as schizophrenia.
They found correlation. Not a cause and effect relationship. You need to be careful with how you state these claims, because the devil is in the details. There are explanations for this correlation which do not include marijuana as a "trigger" (a word which implies a cause and effect relationship).

I think a lot of people are forgetting what it's like to be a kid in school. This punishment does not make him "cool". It only gives fuel for people to make fun of him.
You're severely underestimating the element of stoner subculture at work here. Just because you don't think it makes him look cool doesn't mean that there isn't a subpopulation that does. Even if that proportion of people is small, it can still result in unintended consequences.

bad place, he doesn't even have to look "cool" for this hypothetical scenario to turn out badly from the mother's perspective. That's really not the important factor here.

Spider-Who? said:
He's the guy who was stupid enough to get caught and had to wear a sign on the side of the rode. That does not equal "cool", and people won't want to get weed from him because he was not only caught, but had a "high profile" punishment. You don't go to a drug dealer you knows been caught.
Because we all know how savvy teenagers are, and their propensity and aptitude for careful thought and planning, amirite?

You're also assuming that this hypothetical scenario exclusively involves popularity as a dealer, which may not be the case at all.

Last edited:
Oh, no! Not my QI! At least my IQ is safe. :yay:

The study you're referencing found this effect primarily among people who began smoking at a young age. Context is important.

They found correlation. Not a cause and effect relationship. You need to be careful with how you state these claims, because the devil is in the details. There are explanations for this correlation which do not include marijuana as a "trigger" (a word which implies a cause and effect relationship).

With such risks I still don't think it should be legalized.

....Oh dear
tumblr_m0i8y7JoWh1qikpgv.gif

With such risks I still don't think it should be legalized.
By this rationale, you should then be in favor of making tobacco, alcohol and driving illegal, correct? This may seem hyperbolic, but the risks associated with all of these are far greater than those associated with marijuana. If this is the basis of your reasoning, I fail to see why any of these should remain legal.

By this rationale, you should then be in favor of making tobacco, alcohol and driving illegal, correct? This may seem hyperbolic, but the risks associated with all of these are far greater than those associated with marijuana. If this is the basis of your reasoning, I fail to see why any of these should remain legal.

Driving is something that is necessary for a lot of people for a lot of different reasons (going to work/school, getting groceries, etc etc etc). Alcohol and drug use is not a necessity.
Yes, there are risks associated with driving, people have car accidents every day. But I feel that driving qualifies as a "necessary normal daily living risk" whereas smoking, drinking, etc does not.

Last edited:
Driving is something that is necessary for a lot of people for a lot of different reasons (going to work/school, getting groceries, etc etc etc). Alcohol and drug use is not a necessity.
Yes, there are risks associated with driving, people have car accidents every day. But I feel that driving qualifies as a "necessary normal daily living risk" whereas smoking, drinking, etc does not.
I think you missed the point. I'm saying that his reasoning is incomplete and inadequate, in and of itself. "Risk," by itself, is not an appropriate rubric by which to make such decisions.

Skydiving and motorcycles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"