Mortal Kombat 2

In any case, I'm going to check the first one out this weekend.
I didn't hate the first movie but Cole Young was a huge mistake, why not just cast Tan as Johnny Cage?

Get rid of Cole in the first 5 mins and give us the characters we love and I will certainly watch the sequel.
It's just baffling to me even as someone who isnt a huge fan of the game why introduce that character. If they needed a muggle type character or a white guy as a lead Johnny Cage is right there and he's a fan favorite. I really would like to know their thinking there

It's just baffling to me even as someone who isnt a huge fan of the game why introduce that character. If they needed a muggle type character or a white guy as a lead Johnny Cage is right there and he's a fan favorite. I really would like to know their thinking there
The thought that came to their mind is someone who is not part of the franchise would make for a character audience can understand, I don't understand their thought process behind that choice.

The thought that came to their mind is someone who is not part of the franchise would make for a character audience can understand, I don't understand their thought process behind that choice.
I guess

But Johnny Cage could've played that audience surrogate as well, right? I may be speaking from ignorance but that's what I remember from what I know of the MK franchise. But it's been years since I played it or watched the old movies

I guess

But Johnny Cage could've played that audience surrogate as well, right? That's what I remember from what I know of the MK franchise but it's been years since I played it or watched the old movies
We all agree on that fact about Johnny Cage, he was there just for a martial arts tournament and found more than he could expect. As you and everyone else think; Johnny Cage is ideal for that position

I guess I've been living under a rock. I thought people, especially fans, really enjoy the first movie. I knew the RT score wasn't great but didn't pay it much stock in this case. Because I feel like I remember seeing a decent amount of praise for the first one and I know a barber at my shop absolutely loved the first movie.

But looking around the webs now I see a lot more mixed response. Especially around the fact they didn't have the freaking tournament

EDIT: Hold up why did they introduce a random character named Cole that's not from the games? Weird

I would tell you to watch it so that you can see why so many of us hated it, but I can’t tell anyone to watch that movie for any reason whatsoever. It’s abysmal garbage in the worst, most boring way. It’s not even the “good” kind of awful like Annihilation where you can laugh at it. It just feels like a couple hours of your life you wish you could get back.

We all agree on that fact about Johnny Cage, he was there just for a martial arts tournament and found more than he could expect. As you and everyone else think; Johnny Cage is ideal for that position

And what’s great about Johnny is that he’s an audience surrogate AND a really fun character. Give me that instead of some guy who sucks at fighting AND has no personality.

People are really adamant about having The Miz from WWE play Johnny Cage. Nothing against the guy, but I personally don't see it.

If anything you can kill Cole off via Shao Kahn or Shang Tsung thus freeing scorpion somehow from hell via elder gods magic or anger at outworld for trying to cheat before the tournament. I know Scorpion was “freed” loosely in the first movie killing subzero but there is really no reason he cant return looking for blood and vengeance

I would tell you to watch it so that you can see why so many of us hated it, but I can’t tell anyone to watch that movie for any reason whatsoever. It’s abysmal garbage in the worst, most boring way. It’s not even the “good” kind of awful like Annihilation where you can laugh at it. It just feels like a couple hours of your life you wish you could get back.
Yeah I'm gonna check it out this weekend. Coincidentally, I've been getting recommended the animated MK films on HBO Max for the last couple weeks. Probably because I've been rewatching a lot of superhero stuff.
Snow coming in might just watch all of them tomorrow and Saturday.

Yeah I'm gonna check it out this weekend. Coincidentally, I've been getting recommended the animated MK films on HBO Max for the last couple weeks. Probably because I've been rewatching a lot of superhero stuff.
Snow coming in might just watch all of them tomorrow and Saturday.

I’ve heard that the animated films were good. I’ll have to check them out at some point.

Yeah, that's basically it.

They could dig deeper for Cage.

Had to look him up to know who you were talking about. He definitely has the look but I don’t watch wrestling so I can’t comment on his acting or fighting skills. But generally I don’t have much faith in wrestlers’ acting ability with a few notable exceptions (Dwayne Johnson, John Cena).

I've been getting recommended the animated MK films on HBO Max for the last couple weeks.
I’ve heard that the animated films were good. I’ll have to check them out at some point.
Watch Scorpion's Revenge, ignore Battle for the Realms.

But if the Journey Begins is there you might give it a watch for a good chuckle due to the rusty animation.

My own theory is that Cole was a script leftover. Which is to say, Mortal Kombat didn't *start* as a Mortal Kombat movie, somewhere early in development it was an unrelated script. Eventually it got turned into what it became, but someone ( probably whichever exec originally bought the script ) insisted they had to keep Cole in ( to justify their having bought it ).

I guess

But Johnny Cage could've played that audience surrogate as well, right? I may be speaking from ignorance but that's what I remember from what I know of the MK franchise. But it's been years since I played it or watched the old movies

I mean the 1995 movie made Liu Kang the audience surrogate, and it wasn't an issue.

I would've simply cast Lewis Tan as Johnny Cage and give him a try that way.

FYI, the 2021 movie's writer, Greg Russo, is now working on a System Shock series. Well, good luck with that. Not really sure how you translate System Shock into live-action, but at least it's a series format so there's slightly more room to work with.

From what I gather, the animated film from 2020 is what the live-action film should’ve been and still would’ve worked for an audience unfamiliar with the world.

The WB animated films are fun, gory, and violent and all, but they are also a bit disjointed and thin on plot. But the animated movie does basically open the same way as the live-action film did.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"