Most butchered character in a Marvel film??

CoolAsICE said:
After seeing Daredevil on FX today, I'm gonna have to go with Bullseye. Good God, that was a bad character.

Honorable mentions:
Sabretooth (possibly worse than Bullseye)
Elektra
Mystique
Doom

ya, um, Bullseye was probably the only thing worth mentioning about daredevil, and one of the only redeeming qualities the critics appreciated as well. Sabretooth? He was fine, unoffensive, nothing too bad or good. Elektra? She is on of the worst. Mystique was done convincingly, not accurately, but with conviction, she worked. Doom is probably the worst, your right there.

Mr Fantastic was completely reinvented. The Reed in the comics exuded leadership and was an all around strong character. If the other three doubted his plans, he wouldn chastise them and remind him that he was the leader. He took command and was humble, yet confident.

The Reed in the movies was a bumbling, timid loser who had hardly any confidence at all. He fell apart around Sue and was afraid to take risks. That's not the Mr. Fantastic I know. That isn't the leader of the Fantastic Four.

Also, Man-Thing. They reduced him to a monster when the whole point of Man-Thing was that he was more or less a victim of circumstance. I wanted a movie that portrayed him as such. Man-Thing is a tragedy and needs to be presented as such. Man-Thing is really a very sad story and it could have been great. But they just exploited his monstrous side and made a cheap horror flick. :(

that's gotta be a tie between FF & Daredevil.

Without question, Doom. While others have been screwed 9The Golbin, the Hulk, and yeah, Bullseye) his butchering was the most detrimental to the overall quality of the film.

Duneboy said:
that's gotta be a tie between FF & Daredevil.

How was Daredevil butchered? All the characters, including Daredevil, were pretty much the same.

Suprised no one has mentioned this yet, but what about Absorbing Man? That, in my opinion, is the worst offender, besides Sabretooth.

I didn't mind Doom at all, thought they gave him a good origin and will add the Latveria stuff in the next movie. The only thing I wasn't too keen on was the "organic" armor.

amazingfantasy15 said:
Suprised no one has mentioned this yet, but what about Absorbing Man? That, in my opinion, is the worst offender, besides Sabretooth.

Cepts, that wasn't Absorbing Man. It was an already existing character in the Hulk's books that they gave Absorbing Man's powers for the film.

Advanced Dark said:
Two words: Ben Affleck

And how does that ruin the character?

Some people are just saying butchered because they don't like the actors or directors, when in fact quite a few of these were pretty close as you could get without going into self parody, which they often do in the comics they're based on.

I have to disagree with almost every post in this thread.

This is clearly the most butchered character:

hey-no-cheating.gif

Excuse my ignorance, but is that Dracula from "Tomb..."?

If so, GOOD CALL!!!

Okay. Well, I never read an issue with him in it, so I can't comment. But with that being said...

I would like to add Dracula to my list of most-butchered.

terry78 said:
Some people are just saying butchered because they don't like the actors or directors, when in fact quite a few of these were pretty close as you could get without going into self parody, which they often do in the comics they're based on.
Exactly. Just because you don't like the movie or even certain actors, does not mean the character did not stcik close to the source material. I'd like someone to watch Daredevil and then immediately read the comic and tell me the difference (he's just as much of a man****e in the book too so don't start people...sex scene doesn't count either since that was put in last minute and if you watch the director's cut isn't even there).

murdock_matt said:
Okay. Well, I never read an issue with him in it, so I can't comment. But with that being said...

I would like to add Dracula to my list of most-butchered.
Heh. Forgot about him. But at least he had Dracula-like qualities. Typhoid Mary was just...literally in name only.

RedIsNotBlue said:
Cyclops wasn't butchered just shafted in terms of screentime. His character was pretty spot on just not much time of it.

Exactly...

Cyke in X1 formulated a plan of attack for Liberty Island, figured out why Magneto wanted Rogue first, showed his love of Jean multiple times, demonstrated his love of Xaveir as a mentor, was given his angst and annoyance at Logan and they played off each other very well, and was shown to be a teacher/mentor to the students.

Cyke was pretty damn well-done in the first X-Film. In X2, he got shafted on screentime, but he got to show his ability to fight hand-to-hand, just he couldn't handle Deathstrike, who is a great fighter.

Great fighter in the comics too for that matter. Cyclops is pretty much spot on the movies but he doesn't get enough opporunities to show it. I would love to actually see him formulate a strategy mid-battle for the X-men and kick ass. That's his department. He's not a grunt like Wolverine.

Savage said:
Great fighter in the comics too for that matter. Cyclops is pretty much spot on the movies but he doesn't get enough opporunities to show it. I would love to actually see him formulate a strategy mid-battle for the X-men and kick ass. That's his department. He's not a grunt like Wolverine.

Well Wolverine never really made up a plan...he just told Storm to throw him up there, nothing big. Though I do agree with you...it would be wonderful to see Cyke made a full-on battle strategy.

Dr Doom
Storm
Cyke
Sabretooth.

WalkingDead said:
Well Wolverine never really made up a plan...he just told Storm to throw him up there, nothing big. Though I do agree with you...it would be wonderful to see Cyke made a full-on battle strategy.
Didn't say Wolverine formed any plan. He's a grunt. A worker ant in other words...He just has issues with taking orders. Cyclops should be shown kinda bossing him around and treating him like the others but Wolverine doesn't dig it.

Daredevil wasn't nearly as good as it could have been. They cheezed out on his origin (where's Stick??), Bullseye was portrayed so campy, Elektra should've been played by a much more voluptous female, & the Kingpin was pretty lame too. Plus, the film played out like a music video ( music in just about every scene!). Other than that, I loved the DD costume & Ben Afflick was excellent as the protagonist despite popular opinion. I mean, I'd give it 1 star out of 3. But hey, that's just me.

i have to go with Doom for now but hopefully we'll be able to see his full potential in the next movie

All due respect, but if they had done Doom literally as he is in the comics, it would've been the campiest, cheesiest thing ever. I'm not trying to be funny, as I am a massive fan of the character, but I know his real world limits.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"