Most disappointing comic-book movie

CJ

Sidekick
Reaction score
There's been quite a few terrible films based on a comic-book. What film did you find the most disappointing?

The Avengers for me. Not an awful movie but I was very underwhelmed by it.

I feel the same about The Dark Knight Rises.

I don't think It's a laugh-out-loud terrible film like Batman & Robin or anything like that, it's decent and coherent, but it didn't come close to my expectations.

With films like Fantastic Four, you know there's a chance it may disappoint you, but after two amazing films like BB and TDK, Rises had a lot to live up to and failed tremendously. (for me, anyway)

Last edited:
Green Lantern, by far. I really wanted to like it, and I am a casual fan of GL and all, but it just had a bit too many flaws. I could say the same of The Dark Knight Rises, as well.

I feel the same about The Dark Knight Rises.

And yet while someone mentions The Avengers, it's not up there because someone is probably trying to make some point, lol. But, I'm not solely talking about your poll/thread. The "Best 3rd CBM" poll/thread is unnecessary as well.

I vote for Spider-Man 3 though(I think I'd place The Amazing Spider-Man up there though as being a CBM I was vastly disappointed with as well)...that film could actually have been as phenomenal as the previous two Spidey films from Sam Raimi, but it was a disaster of epic proportions. At least when you bring in films like X-Men: The Last Stand, Batman & Robin(I'm going to bring up Batman Forever as well), these films have different directors that ultimately screwed up from the beginning. The Fantastic Four film was something I was never, ever excited about, same goes for Superman Returns. Green Lantern, while excited, I never had deep anticipation for that film to even acknowledge I became disappointed over it.

And...I rather like Captain America, Hulk and Iron Man 2(even though it's the far weakest film in the MCU).

My feelings for TDKR is known anyways.

Superman Returns. A good portion of the options were either no surprise that they sucked (ex. X3: The Last Stand, Batman and Robin) or didn't suck at all (ex. Captain America: The First Avenger, The Dark Knight Rises). This film was the first Superman film of the post-CG era, was directed by the very capable Brian Singer who happened to be a big fan of the character, had a good Superman, had a great Lex Luthor, brought back John Williams, had fantastic trailers, and looked to be a return to sensibility after the demise of the previous disastrous attempt to make this film.

Everything was in place for this to be a great Superman film, and it just wasn't. For what its worth, I thought the first half up until the plane sequence ends WAS good. But it goes off the rails after that.

Last edited:
Spider-Man 3.

The teasers and trailers sold me one movie, and gave me another one.

Probably Spider-Man 3. There was a lot of potential there, and a lot of it was just kind of wasted.

Gotta go with SM3. Skipped studying for a college final so I could see it on opening day. Big mistake.

Hard choice. Came down to X3 and Spider-Man 3. I voted for Spider-Man 3 because I was so pumped for that movie and left the theater speechless, in a bad way of course.

The answer is Spider-Man 3. Above any others that film had the most good will behind it and it so utterly squandered most all of it.

Something like X3, while disappointing, isn't the same because it had been taken over by a lesser director after the first two. The expectations attached to it were much fewer.

Hulk, by far. After that? Oh...maybe TDK.

Spider-man 3. I'd waited years to see Spidey deal with the symbiote and his most tenacious foe in Venom. I got to see the symbiote introduced with the weakest of plot devices and Topher Grace goofiness where a menacing monster should have been.

Of course, SM3 is still light years better than Batman& Robin.

For me TDKR, just because i expected more. Some of the other movies on the list i didnt expect much out of, but TDKR was very disappointing to me. I was letdown by Bane and some of the things in the story just rubbed me the wrong way. I just dont think it's as strong as BB and TDK for me. I'm yet to even buy the blu-ray, which is a first, since i own BB and TDK :csad:

For me TDKR, just because i expected more. Some of the other movies on the list i didnt expect much out of, but TDKR was very disappointing to me. I was letdown by Bane and some of the things in the story just rubbed me the wrong way. I just dont think it's as strong as BB and TDK for me. I'm yet to even buy the blu-ray, which is a first, since i own BB and TDK :csad:

Bane is probably the very last thing I would ever consider disappointing about that film. I thought he was awesome. Certain elements of the plot, however...

I stood in line knowing Spider-Man 3 would blow, but I saw it anyway; no disappointment there. Iron Man 2, disappointing, but at least there was still the first movie to watch. Green Lantern, however, got me excited for the long-awaited exposure of the rest of the DC universe and the kick-ass characters of Salaak, Kilowog, and above all, Sinestro. That movie wasn't even fun to watch like Iron Man 2 and Spider-Man 3 were (in certain places).

I stood in line knowing Spider-Man 3 would blow, but I saw it anyway; no disappointment there. Iron Man 2, disappointing, but at least there was still the first movie to watch. Green Lantern, however, got me excited for the long-awaited exposure of the rest of the DC universe and the kick-ass characters of Salaak, Kilowog, and above all, Sinestro. That movie wasn't even fun to watch like Iron Man 2 and Spider-Man 3 were (in certain places).

If I hadn't skipped studying for a final to see SM3, I would probably also say Green Lantern. I'm not a Green Lantern fanboy at all, but I feel bad for the fans of that character. You don't want to see a possible franchise end up DOA like that with the first movie.

Bane is probably the very last thing I would ever consider disappointing about that film. I thought he was awesome. Certain elements of the plot, however...

What happens to him at the climax certainly cheapens him a hell of a lot.

The alarm bells were going off for me with SM3 when I saw that Venom was in the film after Raimi had been very vocal about his dislike for the character while doing the previous films. That meant only one thing, massive studio interference. And indeed, that's what happened.

I gotta say...I'm still a bit disappointed that someone just had to put TDKR in there, but leaving out films like Ghost Rider or TAS-M.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"