Most disappointing comic-book movie

Don't bother trying to explain this to him.He's a S-M 3 troll.He basically belittles anyone who has a kind word for that film.

Once again, I must ask...how can one be a troll towards a film that is plain awful?

Although, the topic at hand isn't about S-M 3....but thanks for giving your two cents on me being a "Spider-Man 3 troll" :hehe:

Last edited:
It depends on what you mean by disappointing. The Dark Knight Rises is sophisticated filmmaking and light years better than everything else on this poll, which is all mostly ****. However, most of these films weren't concluding a trilogy that includes two of the most beloved superhero films, so by hype alone, its common sense and a safe bet that 'Rises' was going to disappoint some people. Seeing how TDK is my favorite film, my hype was too high for 'Rises' and I was disappointed and it hit me harder than a lot of these films because expectations were so high. That said, 'Rises' got incredibly better on repeated viewings, so the initial disappointment wore off the disappointment lessoned over time.

However, Spiderman 3 was in a similar situation. SM1 and SM2 were basically BB and TDK before BB and TDK and Spiderman 3 was complete ****. Complete ****. So, yeah, Spiderman 3.

Once again, I must ask...how can one be a troll towards a film that is plain awful?

If you don't like SM3,that's your opinion.Fine.But you seem to think despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary,the film is universally despised.It aint "Batman & Robin".:whatever:

As I said before,it was a film that disappointed many.Probably as many as were disappointed by TDKR (as the poll indicates):cwink:

If you don't like SM3,that's your opinion.Fine.But you seem to think despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary,the film is universally despised.It aint "Batman & Robin".:whatever:

What "overwhelming evidence"? Oh, please, now you're just giving the film way too much praise.

As I said before,it was a film that disappointed many.Probably as many as were disappointed by TDKR (as the poll indicates):cwink:

Once again, one poll with votes only in the very low double digits. Or is this some kind of evidence to you that TDKR is viewed as a "bad film"? Lol.

SM3 isn't in Batman & Robin,Catwoman,Howard the Duck territory in most people's estimation..Nowhere near it.

And BTW,I don't think TDKR is a "bad" film (I didn't even consider it largely disappointing,though I think it could've been better in a few areas).

I think both films have loud detractors,but are more or less excepted as "good" by the general public.

For me it's Green Lantern. Even though I'm a Batman guy it really cuts me when other DC characters get screwed over. If was the one superhero film in 2011 that had to be great, not just good, not just average, it had to be great. People wrote it off well before the first trailer was released, in fact it was almost as if the entire online community was against that film and it was up to WB to ensure every naysayer shut up.....but they didn't. They completely ballsed everything about the movie up, not only did they prove every doubter right, many of the doubters actually felt pity for the movie due to how bad it was. Not only that, they insulted GL fans and by extension DC fans who had longed to see someone outside of Bats and Superman by producing a half baked Iron Man ripoff instead of actually making a GL movie. I actually watched the trailer the other day and all I could do was shake my head. The silver lining however is WB tend to learn from their mistakes as they did with both Batman and Superman, hopefully if MoS is the success it looks like being GL will get another shot and this time maybe they'll get a team together who are actually interested in making a proper GL movie.

Disappointing & bad are 2 completely different things.

The most disappointing for me was without question Superman Returns. Simply because I'd waited for 20 odd years to see the greatest hero of them all back on the big screen after seeing years of television shows like L&C, Smallville & STAS. Bryan Singer had a clean slate to tell his own Superman story, to re-imagine the character & bring him to life the way he feels should have been best. But no, what did he do? He made a Christopher Reeve & Richard Donner tribute film. A film that was supposedly a sequel, but not really a sequel to a 26 year old (at the time) film, Superman II. Man of Steel, whether it is good or bad, is at least the film we should have got in 2006. A proper reboot of the Superman franchise with an origin story. Bryan Singer got so much wrong with that film from plot, to tone, to casting, to setting.. it was all incredibly disappointing..and bad.

Green Lantern as well was quite disappointing & bad as well, but for myself personally Superman Returns was the biggest disappointment by far. I knew it was going to be disappointing as well the more & more I heard & had seen about it during development.

SM3 isn't in Batman & Robin,Catwoman,Howard the Duck territory in most people's estimation..Nowhere near it.

No one's saying it is in that territory of films. It can be a true disappointment to Raimi's previous two Spidey films and still not as as dreadful as the films you mentioned.

But even saying that, you're still not giving me "overwhelming evidence" to it not being a bad film in itself.

And BTW,I don't think TDKR is a "bad" film (I didn't even consider it largely disappointing,though I think it could've been better in a few areas).

I think both films have loud detractors,but are more or less excepted as "good" by the general public.

Trust me, I am aware that TDKR isn't a bad film :up:

But...both are "good" by the general public?

That's why one film has a 92% audience rating while the other has 54%, yes? Lol.

Last edited:
I have never been more upset over a superhero movie than with Superman Returns!

Last edited:

Oh, to me they're in the same neighborhood. SM3's huge budget doesn't save it. I cringe as much in the bat-credit card scene as in the finger-gunning strutting Peter scene. But the bat-credit card part is shorter.

I have a few problems with TDKR but I agree, not a bad film at all.

I saw an angry fan of Superman Returns the other day saying the film was "too cerebral for most people to get" which I thought was patronising.
In my opinion the classic Superman stories are thoughtful, dealing with the philosophical questions of what it means to have a hero like him on our world, and I love things like that in the movies.

I've watched the movie on dvd a few times and tried to like it, and I admire it a lot, and I admired it a lot when I first saw it in the theater, but there's just something soulless about it.

It just feels like a chaos of different tones and styles to me, in some scenes it's trying to be a religious/myth type story of a Godlike hero, in some scenes a magical 1930s romance, in others gritty and Nolan-like, in others silly and camp like the Teri Hatcher show. I hated that scene where the thug attacks Lois, before her boy kills with the piano. The film lurches from being overly grim and violent, to being camp and pantomime-like, to being like a powerful biblical religious myth epic. Never seen a film with such a clashing mix of tones.

I also hated how Clark barely interacted with any of the planet staff as Clark, and how the actor was playing a kind of constant reverent self-seriousness, like a Christian acting as Jesus in a church play.

Mind you, there was a lot I liked, I liked the basic idea of Supes returning to a Metropolis that moved on, I liked how he had a drink with Jimmy. I liked how the city looked 1930s/Art Deco but also felt realistic, like when the people first see Supes flying overhead, like a UFO film. I like the scene where he flies round Metropolis stopping disasters, and the emotional weight of coming back to rescue the family but leave them with the new boyfriend. It did make me feel something. But the film as a whole was too uneven and cold for me. In fact the hours long making of doc on the DVD was much more engaging and likable.

I had really hyped myself up for it, because I had loved Begins the year before, and I thought SR would be "the Nolan Superman movie", IE that Singer would make it deliberately to fit in Nolan's universe, he would be looking to Nolan for advice, that it would feel like Begins, it would keep me going while I waited for TDK,

I also believed that the next year there would be a Nolan style Wonder Woman film so I would get films with the same feel and in the same universe (spiritually if not actually crossing over) every year to tide me over while waiting for TDK. Of course none of it happened, but hopefully MOS will finally deliver.

I bave never been more upset over a superhero movie than with Superman Returns!

I don't know if it's my biggest disappointment because I knew it was going to suck, when I heard the plot details, but it is by far the strangest superhero movie I've ever seen. They turn a heroic character into a creepy stalker, who uses his x-ray vision to spy on his former girlfriend.

BTW, I'm laughing that Captain America is even on that list, that's messed up, but I digress. I'll say my most disappointing would be X3. It's not a horrible movie, but it just lacked so much and had too much going on. Either do a Phoenix story, or do a mutant cure story. By melding the two together, they really ruined what it could have been.

BTW, I'm laughing that Captain America is even on that list, that's messed up, but I digress. I'll say my most disappointing would be X3. It's not a horrible movie, but it just lacked so much and had too much going on. Either do a Phoenix story, or do a mutant cure story. By melding the two together, they really ruined what it could have been.
For me the ending is the problem! He could of just landed the plane on the ice, he had control of plane, he manually crashed it!! Here's the bigger mind F, one of the bombs wasn't even explosive when Steve crashed it in back of the hangar bay. He even dropped one of the bombs with one of the henchmen on it. How did he not know they were not explosive, or did he just take a risk hoping that they weren't?

I get it! The cube was the bombs power source, but not one of them was ever powered up by it. Once the cube was no longer on board there was no way any of them could be powered up, because of that, none of the bombs were a threat! I guess what I'm saying is that Steve didn't have to crash the ship! The bombs onboard were not even explosive! Even when Steve crashed the flying wing into the ice there was no explosion from the bombs! He didn't have to crash land the ship. He had control of it, which he could of just landed on the ice!

Considering the old-timey serial nature of that film I find such nitpicks hard to justify. Those old serials never made any sense either. You wre just supposed to go along with the atmosphere of the adventure. That's why I can cut that film slack where as films like the Nolan Batman movies which take themselves too seriously I don't cut them much slack at all. I think you need to take a film based on what it's trying to accomplish rather than what you predetermined that you wanted to see. I went into the Cap movie hoping for something like the Rocketeer and I was fully satisfied.

Considering the old-timey serial nature of that film I find such nitpicks hard to justify. Those old serials never made any sense either. You wre just supposed to go along with the atmosphere of the adventure. That's why I can cut that film slack where as films like the Nolan Batman movies which take themselves too seriously I don't cut them much slack at all. I think you need to take a film based on what it's trying to accomplish rather than what you predetermined that you wanted to see. I went into the Cap movie hoping for something like the Rocketeer and I was fully satisfied.

I had no prior expectations going into the film. After viewing it I just noticed the ending defied logic.

Last edited:
Perhaps he damaged the landing gear when he re-entered the plane? I dunno, to me it wasn't important. As for the bombs and why they didn't go off, maybe they were programmed to only when in range of their target or maybe the pilot had to prime them.

I thought it was a little bit disappointing. Not a disaster by any means, just not as good as I'd hoped. I thought it had a very strong beginning and set up the main characters well.

However, I felt that the movie started to drag as it got towards the middle of the film. Those big action scenes from the trailers, were mostly just part of a montage. Talent like Hugo Weaving as the Red Skull was wasted. I thought he was just a very bland villain compared to others like The Joker or Dotcor Octopus. Tommy Lee Jones was another great actor who felt wasted.

And I thought it was really ridiculous how they go through all that time and effort to make Rogers a "Super Soldier" only to decide: "Eh, instead of actually sending him to war, let's just throw him onstage and have him preach about how good America is."

It wasn't a terrible movie by any means, but I did think it was disappointing.

I'd say my biggest disappointment has been Raimi's first Spider-man. I'm not saying it's the worst sh movie or a bad sh movie, but I was expecting a different thing and I felt it was way too pop-corny and predictable.

I guess everyone's definition of a disappointment could be different. It's hard to think that a generally liked film could be a disappointment but to some it might be.

X3 just marks the point in time that I think Fox went off the deep end with the Marvel properties. They were somewhat justified in making X-men first class, while not great, it was leaps and bounds better than X3.

Fox - thankfully - redeemed themselves with several strong action/adventure movies after their more dismal superhero efforts of the mid 2000s.

You're too kind Tony. It is an awful film. :csad:

Yeah for sure. I mean, I'll be the first to say it wasn't my favorite Nolan film. But the "Most disappointing comic-book movie" ???

For such a hugely successful film series, there was a lot of expectation for the "epic conclusion of The Dark Knight legend"

And contrary to what Anno_Domoni says TDKR got a mixed reaction from fans. When it was released, members on TDKF forum were divided. Some loved it, some found it mediocre, others despised it.

Some critics trashed the film, there's currently a thread in TDKR forum, written by a fan of the movie, asking why so many people are trashing it. And right now it's #2 on this very poll.

TDKR may not be the worst CBM ever made, but it definitely left many fans disappointed and has every right to be on this list.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"