Most wasted character of the Infinity Saga

Abudefduf

Superhero
Reaction score
Because yes, Doc Samson was in Incredible Hulk. Does anyone remember that

I left out characters like Korath or Heimdall because in my opinion it wasn't the characters themselves who were wasted, it was the actors playing them.

For me it's Janet Van Dyne.

Last edited:
Definitely Janet. I’m hoping that she has sometime to play in Antman 3 (If that ever gets made), because she was useless in the Infinity Saga.
Klaue was also criminally underused.

Klaw, easily. He feels like even more of an afterthought in Age of Ultron after how he was disposed of in Black Panther. Sure, he wasn't the primary antagonist in either film, but if they weren't going to do more with him or a huge player like Andy Serkis, just make him a one-off in Black Panther and be done with it.

Admittedly, that'd probably be even more of a waste, but I find it more annoying that he's set up in a prior Avengers film of all things, but then just a secondary antagonist in Black Panther itself.

Quicksilver by far.

Pietro deserves a resurrection.

Strucker. Offing him after ten minutes was the only one of these that actually pissed me off. A complete waste. That could have been any random Hydra leader in that role. It was basically a cameo. At least Klaue did something.

They dropped the ball with Malekith and Flash Thompson and Quicksilver definitely got the worst treatment out of the Avengers. None of those are favourites of mine though so I can live with it.

For me, the standout examples of wasted potential in the MCU are how badly Homecoming mishandled Spider-Man and how badly Thor was treated in Endgame.

I may be alone on this, but I wanted to see more of good ole Doc Samson.

I may be alone on this, but I wanted to see more of good ole Doc Samson.

I kind of give a pass for the Hulk characters because of that franchise's rights issues. This goes for The Leader as well. I'm more forgiving if there is a legitimate reason for it.

Strucker. Offing him after ten minutes was the only one of these that actually pissed me off. A complete waste. That could have been any random Hydra leader in that role. It was basically a cameo. At least Klaue did something.

Yeah, given that Strucker has been a long time for of Cap - at least as long as Zemo - he deserved better. Bugged me a lot that he died off screen. Age of Ultron suffered from having too much shoehorned into it, including Strucker.

I think the villains were wasted overall as a lot of the depictions felt 2D and really not too enthralling especially when some of the movies felt episodic and not like an overall Infinity Saga story which is what all the films so far are now being contextualized as...

Of course ticket sales have to be at a certain point and certain structures to be maintained within a given timeframe for an event film so their are more limitations when stories aren't episodic in nature like comics. Still, movies like Batman Returns definitely drew an audience with the villains. Marvel Studio's of course want to carefully build out each IP and things are hard to juggle as they all need to mesh back together for the teamup film but I do hope ways to build up villains improves. I think Disney+ may help somewhat to let things tangentially bleed over a bit narrative wise but even so, I still think it's possible to make a movie with a villain not simply defeated and done away with each time but an ominous counterpoint that sticks around.

Not even Thanos really had a lot of backstory before Infinity War started. The writers had to create a reservoir of ideas, scripts, unused footage and so forth in order to draw from something to showcase on screen that wasn't included in past movies nor revealed on blu-ray extras just little hints that keep popping up online through various sources to the point where it's hard to keep track of. I think a crossover storyline with more of the movies in phase 3 probably would've helped somewhat but it is what it is.

Last edited:
I go with Sharon and Flash. Chances of something like Agent Venom = 0

Betty
Quicksilver
Klaw

Quicksilver easily but villain wise, I want to say Ebony Maw. He was frighteningly powerful in Infinity War but then was barely used in Endgame. I wanted to see a rematch with him and Strange as well as Hulk finally fighting Cull Obsidian. After all that darn teasing those matches never happened.

As much as I liked Endgame, the waste of Professor Hulk will always be bothersome. Many of us were expecting a rematch between Hulk and Thanos, and it was glaringly obvious that he should have been with the other 3 original Avengers in the final showdown with Thanos. He was more comic relief than anything else, and he was dispatched by the Ancient One like a bit player. The character needs on-screen redemption.

Definitely Janet. I’m hoping that she has sometime to play in Antman 3 (If that ever gets made), because she was useless in the Infinity Saga.
She went from being one of the founding Avengers to playing a minor character in a legacy hero's movie. Talk about a downgrade.

It's sad because in the comics she's a pretty fun and endearing character. She had the potential to become really popular, probably more than her husband, daughter or Scott will ever be.

Nick Fury. After TWS it just seemed like they didn't know what to do with him and he appeared at weird times. Hope they're going to correct that based on the FFH after credits.

If you consider the Infinity Saga as Tony Stark/Iron Man's saga then it can only be The Real Mandarin, who only got mentioned in a One Shot.

Quicksilver and Klaue. Really stupid to get rid of Klaue the way they did.

I don't care what anyone says. I'd like a QS multiverse reunion and have him back in MCU.

Iron Man's villains.

ALL of them wasted and none memorable. Bad or not, at least Cap had his greatest nemesis, Red Skull, Thor had Loki, Maliekth, Sutur, etc, Hulk had Abomination, but Iron Man? Nothing. Nothing but forgettable villains.

IM1: Stane was OK, but had a forgettable 3rd act fight scene.

IM2: Mickey Rourke's Whiplash could've been something special, instead Marvel decided building up War Machine (who wasn't even needed for that movie), team work and the Avengers was more important. I don't blame Rourke for being pissed off.

Iron Man 3 should've been him against the Mandarin, but Disney/marvel were too big of p***ies to not offend anyone that they used that forgettable businessman villain that wasn't even a villain in the comics.

At least Iron Man had some good villains/fight scenes in the Avengers movies.

Yeah that one really bugged me too, especially since Thomas Kretschmann can be a hell of a great villain when given the opportunity. He was scary as hell in Transsiberian.

Von Strucker getting bumped off was lame. They talked about his character popping up across various Marvel movies and TV shows which turned out to be a redirect.

We learned more about the character via his son and flashbacks on AoS than we did in the films.

A few villains like Klaw, Crossbones, Minn-Erva do feel somewhat wasted by being killed off too quickly or not getting as much to do as I would of liked.

I'm not as bothered about characters that are still alive and could/will potentially return like Lady Sif, The Leader, Betty Ross, Bill Foster, Janet Van Dyne ect.

Yeah that one really bugged me too, especially since Thomas Kretschmann can be a hell of a great villain when given the opportunity. He was scary as hell in Transsiberian.

Wasting Krestchmann just added to my disappointment. It wasn't like they had some scrub in the role.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"