Movie critics

If critics dislike a film like, I do not hold it against them. I love Into Darkness, but most of the critics (including R-L-Media) did not like it at all. Their complaints were entrenched in film theory, but, I read the film in an entirely different light. My problem is when social and political critics/commentators/groups enter the arena, and condemn films (such as when the fans called Into Darkness misogynistic and forced Lindeolf and Abrams to apologize.)

What's wrong with showing a pretty woman changing her clothes in a movie?
:dry:

If critics dislike a film like, I do not hold it against them. I love Into Darkness, but most of the critics (including R-L-Media) did not like it at all. Their complaints were entrenched in film theory, but, I read the film in an entirely different light. My problem is when social and political critics/commentators/groups enter the arena, and condemn films (such as when the fans called Into Darkness misogynistic and forced Lindeolf and Abrams to apologize.)

I feel like they become less and less powerful everytime they cry wolf. They are practically never right.

I'm with you. :huh:

This thread is just another thread to bash critics and the OP just wants validation of his opinion. He has no interest in discussing the matter.

Newbies.

Last edited:
What's wrong with showing a pretty woman changing her clothes in a movie?
:dry:

When its just for the purpose of that then people have every right to dislike it just as you liked it.

You (Parker Wayne) are welcome to exit the thread. No one told you (PW) stay here and no one is telling you (PW) to.

May I recommend Outlaw Vern? He's pretty different from Red Letter Media, but he appeals to the same types of people (I.E. us).

I could care less about critics, I rarely agree with them. I don't need to be told what movies are good or bad! :)

When its just for the purpose of that then people have every right to dislike it just as you liked it.

People can dislike it if they want, I just don't know why people are making it out to be a bigger issue than it is. If it bugs them that much then they shall cover their eyes for the rest of their life each time they see a woman changing out of her clothes in movies, or they could just totally avoid the movie if they know something like that is in them.

Last edited:
You (Parker Wayne) are welcome to exit the thread. No one told you (PW) stay here and no one is telling you (PW) to.

But I need to tell you about your insecurities first.

Last edited:
Most of the really good critics have studied film much more than the average moviegoer which is why a lot of 'film buffs' and filmmakers agree with critics on a lot of stuff because they too have studied films more than the average moviegoer. I'm not saying this makes their opinion right or wrong. Does it make it more valid? In certain cases, how unpopular this sounds, yes I do. I'll trust a doctor to give me medical advice over Joe next door because my doctor studied medicine his whole life. Its not as clear and cut as that because film is art(or its supposed to be anyway) and art is subjective. However, from a technical standpoint, when a critic says this film is edited well, or has good cinematography, I take that in consideration. If they've studied filmmaking, those 'tangible' aspects of filmmaking are a little more objective, though still not entirely.

However, the story and the overall entertainment of a film,which is what most average moviegoers go to see, is entirely subjective and their opinion has no more validity than anyone else. This sometimes, IMO, is what causes the rift between a lot of critics and casual moviegoers. Moviegoers care primarily for the entertainment factor, while the critics factor in the other 'tangible'(not the right word really, but just go with it) aspects that casual moviegoers simply don't care for. For instance, The Tree of Life was beautifully made. The acting was great. However, I wasn't really entertained, so while I have some respect for it from a filmmaking standpoint, I wouldn't say I really 'liked' it. A critic however, with my same opinion, may give it a pretty damn good review because everything else, aside from the entertainment factor, was extremely well done.

Thus brings me to Ebert. Ebert was the greatest critic of all time because he thought both like a critic and like a fan. He rated things based on the type of film it was. Its silly to think Anchorman 2 should have the same filmmaking craft as a David Lynch film. In Ebert's own words:

"When you ask a friend if Hellboy is any good, you're not asking if it's any good compared to Mystic River, you're asking if it's any good compared to The Punisher. And my answer would be, on a scale of one to four, if Superman is four, then Hellboy is three and The Punisher is two. In the same way, if American Beauty gets four stars, then The United States of Leland clocks in at about two."

Most casual moviegoers think like him. When I give The Dark Knight a 10/10, that doesn't mean that I think The Dark Knight is perfect and right up there with The Godfather. It means its The Godfather of its genre.

Me personally, I really enjoy critical reactions. I don't always agree, but I love reading a well written film review. It can praise a film I hate, or hate a film I love as long as its well written. I also personally think people take film critics too seriously. They aren't saying 'hey you have to think like me'. They get to see films early and they get paid to let people know what they think so you can decide if you want to spend the $10 on the ticket for it. Its just like asking a friend if they saw the most recent release and if its worth seeing. Like your friends, its all about following the right people. If you're an action junkie, you probably don't ask your friend's wife who loves all chick flicks, if she liked a movie. You ask your friends who have the same tastes as you. Similarly, find a critic with similar tastes and you will begin to enjoy reviews. I didn't always agree with Ebert, but I loved reading his reviews. We agreed on a lot, so when he liked something I was anticipating, my anticipation grew. When he didn't like something I was looking forward to, I lowered my expectations.

But yeah. Thats what I think about critics.

Last edited:
People can dislike it if they want, I just don't know why people are making it out to be a bigger issue than it is. If it bugs them that much then they shall cover their eyes for the rest of their life each time they see a woman changing out of her clothes in movies, or they could just totally avoid the movie if they know something like that is in them.

Or, third thought, and this is most likely something you probably never thought of, but they can, you know, voice their confusion at why that brief part was ever needed. I have no problem with fan service, but I dislike useless fan service for the sake of fan service, especially when it's so brief.

I'll give you that one, I mean from a story perspective it didn't make any sense.

I like reviewers like JeremyJahns, ChrisStuckmann, SchmoesKnow, and Brad Jones. Just people sharing their opinions. I find them fun to listen to. Never really cared about professional critics really.

Which movie that you loved did they trash?
ZBi5GqB.gif

''Do you really give a frick what they think about a movie? I sure as hell don't.''

:woot::up:

Absolutely I do. I dont base my opinion on something because the critics liked it however. But Ive learned that movies are not always as good as your expectations. If I look forward to a movie and the critics say its not all that, then I might choose to not see it on the cinema. If the critics didnt like it, chances are you're not gonna like it either. I was planning on seeing Prometheus on the cinema, didnt regret waiting. Nine, The Lovely Bones, Iron Man 2, and many more the same. But if I really looked forward to something, eventually I will see it though.

Then there is the other side of a coin. Movies you dont really look forward to that gets really great reviews. Then you might find some really good ones you otherwise would miss out. If not for the critics, I probably wouldnt see Amour or Blue Valentine.

I like Mark Kermode's reviews, even thou sometimes i don't agree with them, but the way he explains and rants some of those movies he hated (like transformers) are priceless

It seems to me that rotten tomatoes only believes in black and white, when it comes to the tomato side on there...all there is is fresh and rotten. There should be a middle of the road apple. If they were smart and wanted more hits, then they would introduce this third apple for movies that receive mixed reviews.
The purpose of rottentomatoes is to show in % how many of the critics enjoyed a movie. Introducing a third tomato makes no sense.

If critics dislike a film like, I do not hold it against them. I love Into Darkness, but most of the critics (including R-L-Media) did not like it at all.

87% at RottenTomatoes says otherwise.

Do you really give a frick what they think about a movie? I sure as hell don't.

I put more stock in what a consesus poll of normal people from all age ranges and many different walks of life have to say than one lone critic.

If IMDB, Rotten Tomatoes, and a random third website all say the movie stinks, the movie generally stinks.

Most of the really good critics have studied film much more than the average moviegoer which is why a lot of 'film buffs' and filmmakers agree with critics on a lot of stuff because they too have studied films more than the average moviegoer. I'm not saying this makes their opinion right or wrong. Does it make it more valid? In certain cases, how unpopular this sounds, yes I do. I'll trust a doctor to give me medical advice over Joe next door because my doctor studied medicine his whole life. Its not as clear and cut as that because film is art(or its supposed to be anyway) and art is subjective. However, from a technical standpoint, when a critic says this film is edited well, or has good cinematography, I take that in consideration. If they've studied filmmaking, those 'tangible' aspects of filmmaking are a little more objective, though still not entirely.

However, the story and the overall entertainment of a film,which is what most average moviegoers go to see, is entirely subjective and their opinion has no more validity than anyone else. This sometimes, IMO, is what causes the rift between a lot of critics and casual moviegoers. Moviegoers care primarily for the entertainment factor, while the critics factor in the other 'tangible'(not the right word really, but just go with it) aspects that casual moviegoers simply don't care for. For instance, The Tree of Life was beautifully made. The acting was great. However, I wasn't really entertained, so while I have some respect for it from a filmmaking standpoint, I wouldn't say I really 'liked' it. A critic however, with my same opinion, may give it a pretty damn good review because everything else, aside from the entertainment factor, was extremely well done.

Thus brings me to Ebert. Ebert was the greatest critic of all time because he thought both like a critic and like a fan. He rated things based on the type of film it was. Its silly to think Anchorman 2 should have the same filmmaking craft as a David Lynch film. In Ebert's own words:

"When you ask a friend if Hellboy is any good, you're not asking if it's any good compared to Mystic River, you're asking if it's any good compared to The Punisher. And my answer would be, on a scale of one to four, if Superman is four, then Hellboy is three and The Punisher is two. In the same way, if American Beauty gets four stars, then The United States of Leland clocks in at about two."

Most casual moviegoers think like him. When I give The Dark Knight a 10/10, that doesn't mean that I think The Dark Knight is perfect and right up there with The Godfather. It means its The Godfather of its genre.

Me personally, I really enjoy critical reactions. I don't always agree, but I love reading a well written film review. It can praise a film I hate, or hate a film I love as long as its well written. I also personally think people take film critics too seriously. They aren't saying 'hey you have to think like me'. They get to see films early and they get paid to let people know what they think so you can decide if you want to spend the $10 on the ticket for it. Its just like asking a friend if they saw the most recent release and if its worth seeing. Like your friends, its all about following the right people. If you're an action junkie, you probably don't ask your friend's wife who loves all chick flicks, if she liked a movie. You ask your friends who have the same tastes as you. Similarly, find a critic with similar tastes and you will begin to enjoy reviews. I didn't always agree with Ebert, but I loved reading his reviews. We agreed on a lot, so when he liked something I was anticipating, my anticipation grew. When he didn't like something I was looking forward to, I lowered my expectations.

But yeah. Thats what I think about critics.

Oh, I could hug you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"