Movie villians who upstage the hero

But the villain can't upstage the hero if the hero is not placed above the hero in relevance anyway. Slasher movies are about the slasher, and not the teens in peril. If one of the victims make a big impression, it would be they who upstaged the slasher, not the other way round.

Maybe not so much the case with Jason, but I'd say Jamie Lee Curtis and Heather Langenkamp had prominent enough roles in the films to be considered the "hero".

And again, the Terminator, Alien, and Jaws were all about the Terminator, Alien, and Jaws, heh.

Apart from what's been said already:

Darth Vader in "The Empire Strikes Back"
Chancellor/Emperor Palpatine in "Revenge of the Sith"
Sheriff of Nottingham in "Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves"
Gary Oldman's character in "The Professional"
Hades in Disney's "Hercules"
The velociraptors in "Jurassic Park"

I do agree that Jack Nicholson's Joker is the best example of a villain upstaging the hero. I think Ledger will do that too in "The Dark Knight", but it'll be harder to pull off against Bale's Batman.

whait a minute.
its a horror movie. the villain is the main character.

Not initially. The reason the characters are so iconic now is because they upstaged the teen characters. But the first Nightmare/Friday/Halloween movies, Freddy, Jason (Or jason's mom if you want to be technical), and Michael were not the main characters. They were the scary villian.

But now people go to see these movies specifically to see them.

I fully agree about Darth Maul. Best thing about Episode 1. Maybe it's just me,but I might throw Venom/Eddie Brock(and even the symbiote) in from Spidey 3. I know most won't agree,but being a huge Venom fan he was probably the main reason I was looking forward to the film,even though he recieved like 10 minutes of screen time. Everytime Venom/Brock/symbiote was on screen it had my complete attention.

The T-1000 in T2 came awfully close to upstaging Arnold at times, but he doesn't get the credit because of that stupid look on his face when Arnold shot him in the chest with the grenade launcher.

22.jpg

18453740.jpg

A7F4F8C73AD10DDEEBC7A435A075.jpg

collateral.jpg

VerbalKint.jpg

Gordon Gecko (Michael Douglas) in Wall Street. Without doubt the best villain character study on film, if you ask me.

No one mentioned 'Bill the Butcher' from Gangs of New York..

I do agree that Jack Nicholson's Joker is the best example of a villain upstaging the hero. I think Ledger will do that too in "The Dark Knight", but it'll be harder to pull off against Bale's Batman.

And I'm intrigued to see it, because it's rare that anyone takes the viewer's attention from Christian Bale.

not a movie, but Dexter in the showtime series, IS the badguy and outshines all the cops and all.

T-1000 in Terminator 2
Willen Dafoe in Spider-Man
Lex Luthor in Superman Returns

Tyler Durden (Brad Pitt) totally upstages Tyler Durden (Edward Norton)in Fight Club

i disagree with that one.... i think Norton really showed he's a better actor than brad pitt in fc

Al Pacino in The Devil's Advocate
Edward Norton in Primal Fear

i disagree with that one.... i think Norton really showed he's a better actor than brad pitt in fc

Really? Cause I think they are about equal until the end, I think Brad just takes over its a shame the Academy overlooked both of them the year this was made.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"