Movies that got better after a rewatch

GremlinZilla89

Sidekick
Reaction score
Self explanatory.

One of the best things about being a movie buff is sometimes you're wrong and you see a film you may have disliked, even hated in a new light on a second (or even third) viewing. Sometimes a movie just doesn't gel with you due to having tough day or not being in the mindset to absorb the particular brand of entertainment the movie is offering you at the time. Sometimes maturity comes into play as well. There were many classic films I watched when I was younger as budding movie geek that I just wasn't able to appreciate at the time only to give them a second go after a while to find out they rocked.

So off the top of my head these are the films I didn't like the first time I saw them, but have grown to love. The kicker is most of them are on my list favorite movies somewhere.

In no particular order:
-2001: A Space Odyssey.
-Doctor Strangelove
-Blade Runner
-Donnie Darko
-The Big Lebowski
-Fargo
-Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
-The Truman Show
-Napoleon Dynamite (I think it's huge popularity at the time made me really resentful of it because all anybody did in high school when it came out was quote it. I was so popular at my school I swear literally half of the student body owned a "Vote For Pedro" shirt)
-Videodrome
-Brazil
-Fear and Loathing In Las Vegas
-12 Monkeys (I had a real Terry Gilliam problem for a while, lol)
-Eraserhead

Agreed on Blade Runner.

Hulk (2003)

Daredevil

Hulk 2003, yes.

Batman Returns. First time I saw it, I was only expecting a second Batman 89 in style and tone and nothing else.

Daredevil. Most things I enjoy the most the first time I see them.

Blade Runner - I feel like its a film that is a grower.

Back To The Future Trilogy - Every time I watch these films I pick up on something I didn't notice before.

High Fidelity. If you haven't seen it, watch it 30 times.
Rainmaker. Yeah, I know. Don't judge me.
Shutter Island. Don't think of it as a twist movie, see it more than once. Amazing.
The Wolverine.
Blade Runner.
Hellboy 2.
2001: A Space Odyssey.
Cop Land.
The Mist (Darabont).
Deliverance.
Big Lebowski.
The Bourne Identity (Damon).
Oblivion.

I pretty much liked all of these the first time, but they kept getting better. Space Odyssey might've been the exception. Didn't get it the first time. Probably still don't, but it's amazing.

Last edited:
High Fidelity. If you haven't seen it, watch it 30 times.
Rainmaker. Yeah, I know. Don't judge me.
Shutter Island. Don't think of it as a twist movie, see it more than once. Amazing.
The Wolverine.
Blade Runner.
Hellboy 2.
2001: A Space Odyssey.
Cop Land.
The Mist (Darabont).
Deliverance.
Big Lebowski.
The Bourne Identity (Damon).
Oblivion.

I pretty much liked all of these the first time, but they kept getting better. Space Odyssey might've been the exception. Didn't get it the first time. Probably still don't, but it's amazing.

2001 is the film I've had the most bizarre relationship with. Ever. I went from hating it so much the first time I had to watch it in segments because I found it so boring. I had no respect for it. I would bash it any chance I got (I was a young little film buff then, so forgive me) and would call it THE most overrated movie ever made.
After that phase I grew up a bit and gave it second watch, got through it all in one go, still didn't like it, but acknowledged it's craft.
Gave it a third go some time after that and the viewing went by smoother and I found myself saying "I think I'm starting to at least see why this is considered a triumph, but it's still too damn slow."

After that third viewing I didn't watch it for years only to buy the Blu for like $10 on a whim.

I popped it in, sat in a dark room and just let the movie wash over me. This may sound utterly ridiculous and cliche but it just clicked. I loved every minute of it. It's one of those films that's offers something new literally every single time you see it. So it went from being one of my most absolutely despised films to one of my favorites.

If nothing else, I can't see how anybody can't at least respect and acknowledge the sheer amount of skill and vision that went into that film no matter how much you dislike it.

That's interesting, Gremlin.

I don't know if I've ever gone through the whole "from absolute hate to love" arc.

I find almost ALL good character-driven films get better with multiple viewings because a well written character has so many layers you can't catch on one viewing. The more times you see it, the more you learn about the character, like spending more time with a real human being. However, plot driven films, you see it once, and you know the ending. Plot-driven films are driven to the ending, the resolution, so knowing the resolution will certainly weaken repeated viewings.

Iron man 2. Although to be fair, I watched it after pretty soon after Iron man 3 so even Planet 9 from outer space would have seemed better than I remember after that.

Blade Runner is definitely a movie that one can watch again and again. Another movie that comes to my mind straight away is "Ghostbusters"

Blade Runner
hated my first viewing

MoS
Hated my first viewing mainly due to the climax. Upon watching the movie again (which I only did because I had bought both vewings in advance I released how much of the first 2 acts I enjoyed but ignored because I disliked the climax. I suspect the same thing would happen with The Wolverine, the difference is I never bought 2 advance dates therefore didin't bother watching TW again.

I can't say I like this movie but I certainly appreciated more the second time round.

Tarantino movies - post Pulp Fiction
I pretty much enjoy all Tarantino movies second time around because I go into the movie with the expectation that the movie will be better than Pulp Fiction and when it isn't I'm disappointed. On second viewing I just watch the movies on their own merits. I now love KB, IB and DU.

Mulholland Drive
Lost Highway
The Winter Soldier
Blade Runner
Apocalypse Now

Mulholland Drive
Fight Club
Donnie Darko
Memento

Basically any mind-**** movie that you can go back and analyze .

Iron Man 3. Absolutely hated it after my first viewing. Each time I watch it, I like it more and more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"