Movies you think are objectively great, but you really don't like?

I think you can recognize the qualities of great art, and not be engaged by these qualities.

Georges_Seurat_-_Un_dimanche_après-midi_à_l%27Île_de_la_Grande_Jatte.jpg

^ This artwork is well done, but it does nothing to me emotionally.

You're being engaged by those qualities by acknowledging and understanding them. Why is it a great piece, if objectively it has colored dots?
I would still constitute that as ultimately not being great even after noticing all the work put in and/or considering the artist's intent.

With movies, there's a lot more to it than just production values if that was all you were getting at.

^ I would say it's more than production values..skillful editing..good acting..and thoughtfully crafted script.

The musical equivalent would be something like "Hall of the Mountain King"-sure it could be cause that piece of music is used in countless commercials/trailers/etc..but to me, it's memorable but it feels a little forced and obvious-now you could argue those are flaws, but it has been considered to be one of the more definitive works of the era.

Though the composer didn't like it, so maybe that's a strike two against objective greatness :p

^ I would say it's more than production values..skillful editing..good acting..and thoughtfully crafted script...but to me, it's memorable but it feels a little forced and obvious-now you could argue those are flaws,
Opinion-based connotation behind those adjectives

The musical equivalent would be something like "Hall of the Mountain King"-sure it could be cause that piece of music is used in countless commercials/trailers/etc..
Objective/measurable quality

but it has been considered to be one of the more definitive works of the era.

Though the composer didn't like it, so maybe that's a strike two against objective greatness :p
Opinions of others =/= objectivity

Opinion-based connotation behind those adjectives

Objective/measurable quality

Opinions of others =/= objectivity

I'll be the first to say objectivity is truly nonexistent.

But you can have feelings that override measurable subjective arguments.

Is Tetris one of the best crafted video games of all time? Probably.

Do I really care for Tetris? No. Play it from time to time..but I'd take Galaga over it any day :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"