Mr. Freeze in Reeves' Batuniverse

Yeah well said. Reeves didn’t steal the story from Year One, Ego or Long Halloween. But they were still used as inspiration in other ways. If you take from Heart of Ice or Mask of the Phantasm...it’s kinda just the screenwriter stealing (or adapting) the story itself. I don’t see Matt Reeves as that kind of writer so far. What else can you do with Freeze? Pretty much nothing else. The more I chat with you guys and think about it , the more I don’t want to see Freeze in this trilogy.

If this was 20 years ago, I would have absolutely wanted to see Jean Reno play Mr. Freeze. His popularity is probably limited in the U.S. as he only appears in a handful of Hollywood roles, but he's really a fantastic actor. His range is wide, he can be funny or incredibly menacing and then move you in the next few seconds. Perfect for this kind of role.
And of course, the look. Beyond his resemblance to the Mignola-designed Mr. Freeze from Batman TAS, Reno has an excellent physical presence. His voice is great too.

7909-1532336916.jpg

lunettes-soleil-Jean-Reno-Film-Nikita.jpg

Anyway, it's too late now as he's 73, but for me, it will always be one of those "oh, what it could have been..." casting.

Hey, wait a minute... don't we have a Batman in his seventies too?

Last edited:
I think all of this could be solved if Bruce just saved her life in the first 20 minutes lol. So I agree with the “does this need to be a 2.5 hour movie?”. So to make it more tragic, to stretch it out, I’d have her dead already. It’s a lost cause. Which makes it so sad to see Victor trying so hard.

I don’t know man. This might be a hot take but...I’m kinda sick of science in comic book movies lol. I’m sick of seeing labs, experimenting on humans, trying to find cures. It’s like enough already.

I’d rather just see some more horror or freaks trying to be gangsters.

I’m with you. Even though cryonics is real, it still comes across to me as tired movie nonsense (probably cause the percentage of audiences who’ve ever been in a real lab is so small).

So I’d keep that element to a minimum.

That being said, it’s how you present it. For example, Hugh Jackman’s scientist character in The Fountain, obsessively trying to save his wife, doesn’t come across as generic movie stuff to me.

To get the most out of Freeze, Man-Bat, Clayface etc., it needs to happen in a fully fantastical universe that embraces all the comic elements of those characters. Anything less than that, is a disservice IMO.

And I feel like after Reeves is finished with the franchise, they absolutely need to reboot and just do that on the big screen, BTAS style. It's really the only thing left to do, full-on comic book Batman who is still taken seriously, just in the traditional comic book way. I see no reason that can't or shouldn't be done...

Gosling-Cianfrance-Freeze

Wow.
I'm already imagining all the feels accounts posting "literally me" memes about this experimental freeze film lol. Also I would like to add Alicia Vikander as Nora. I watched "Light Between the Oceans" (yeah I also like romantic flicks) and from that performance I think she would be great in that role.

To get the most out of Freeze, Man-Bat, Clayface etc., it needs to happen in a fully fantastical universe that embraces all the comic elements of those characters. Anything less than that, is a disservice IMO.

And I feel like after Reeves is finished with the franchise, they absolutely need to reboot and just do that on the big screen, BTAS style. It's really the only thing left to do, full-on comic book Batman who is still taken seriously, just in the traditional comic book way. I see no reason that can't or shouldn't be done...
I think that’s the way to go with the reboot. Just act like all the pop culture classic villains are around (without showing them) and base it in pure fantasy. Don’t shy from it.

I kinda disagree about Clayface though because I’ve never been into the literal shapeshifting blob. With today’s CG leaving a lot to be desired, I definitely prefer the idea of the killer who disguises himself through makeup and wardrobe. He makes it seem like he’s some supernatural force (in the same way that Batman makes people believe that he’s not human). “Identity” is also going to be a bigger part of the sequel with Bruce letting the world see more of his face and thought process.

But I’m not sure if Reeves will want to tackle another mysterious serial killer after the Riddler. So maybe we’ll only see Clayface in a reboot. Nashton ticked a lot of boxes. And so did Penguin (making Clayface some disfigured mob boss would also feel repetitive). So if Matt truly wants to keep things as grounded as possible, he’s going to have to get really creative with his choices. Pick antagonists like Deacon Blackfire, Mad Monk, Hugo Strange, Poison Ivy, Mad Hatter.

I'm already imagining all the feels accounts posting "literally me" memes about this experimental freeze film lol. Also I would like to add Alicia Vikander as Nora. I watched "Light Between the Oceans" (yeah I also like romantic flicks) and from that performance I think she would be great in that role.
Honestly, Fassbender and Vikander would be perfect for Victor & Nora.

If this was 20 years ago, I would have absolutely wanted to see Jean Reno play Mr. Freeze. His popularity is probably limited in the U.S. as he only appears in a handful of Hollywood roles, but he's really a fantastic actor. His range is wide, he can be funny or incredibly menacing and then move you in the next few seconds. Perfect for this kind of role.
And of course, the look. Beyond his resemblance to the Mignola-designed Mr. Freeze from Batman TAS, Reno has an excellent physical presence. His voice is great too.

7909-1532336916.jpg

lunettes-soleil-Jean-Reno-Film-Nikita.jpg

Anyway, it's too late now as he's 73, but for me, it will always be one of those "oh, what it could have been..." casting.

Hey, wait a minute... don't we have a Batman his seventies too?

He's the kind of movie character/actor you use to grab some inspiration from but not cast him.

Why does a comatose person need a good actor lol? They're literally asleep!

a comatose person needs a good actor, plus they wouldn't just put her all the film in a bed
Your first post that made me scratch my head lol. An extra is all you need. But I wouldn’t do that with Nora.

I assume Latoux just means that Nora might not be in a coma or whatever for the entire film, so you would want a good actress for the scenes in which she's conscious.

This ain't a solo movie though!
If it was a solo Freeze movie it depends on how the actress is being demanded. You can go from a Sarah Gadon type to a Vikander, a bigger actress that will be a very important part of the story. If it's in Reeves universe then just a small movie actress is the way to go since it will probably have like 2 or 3 scenes since the movie will be focused on Batman.

Last edited:
Yeah well said. Reeves didn’t steal the story from Year One, Ego or Long Halloween. But they were still used as inspiration in other ways. If you take from Heart of Ice or Mask of the Phantasm...it’s kinda just the screenwriter stealing (or adapting) the story itself. I don’t see Matt Reeves as that kind of writer so far. What else can you do with Freeze? Pretty much nothing else. The more I chat with you guys and think about it , the more I don’t want to see Freeze in this trilogy.
Yeah there are not many things to do with Freeze in Reeves universe. It's hitman and heart of ice combined and that's it. So that experimental Joker style film with many twists to the story could work better. They just need a visionary director, damn good acting (Ryan Gosling), an R rating, no Ferris Boyle and no scientific stuff, just Victor and Nora and a bunch of new characters. These "literally me" dramas are what DC should be aiming for because people nowadays are searching for this type of films like never before and even better when you have Gosling or a Fassbender type as the lead. Of course this would be seperated from Reeves universe and be in the DC black label films.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"